Possible dining suggestions

resigned

Possible dining suggestions

Postby resigned » 2007 Nov 16 22:43

I am hoping that someone can suggest a good place to eat. Another couple and my husband and I always go out for dinner on Friday nights. Usually a casual place. We usually take turns going to Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, Franks etc. Tonight we tried the newly opened Fairfield Diner which was formerly known as the Whistle Stop. We had heard that George from the Southern Inn had purchased it. I have to say we did not find the food up to standard. My husband and I ate spaghetti which was really ho hum and my husband ordered saussage with his dinner which was dried out. Our friends felt the food they ordered was about the same. We all went to our friends house and ate tums because our stomachs were a bit unsettled. We were really sorry the food at the Fairfield Diner was so poor. because we really enjoy eating at the Southern Inn.

Does anyone know about the Fairfield Diner? Has anyone had the same experience as we have had. Just curious. We are just looking for other casual places to eat and wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

fangz1956

Re: Possible dining suggestions

Postby fangz1956 » 2007 Nov 17 08:06

I can give you a great suggestion if you are ever in the mood for a road trip. There's a little place in Salem called Mama Maria's. It's casual, has a great atmosphere, and some of the best Italian food around.
Some other places around here worth checking out and they are all casual:

The Brambleton Deli: The BEST South Carolina style barbecue on the planet (and they have a patio and have live music in the summertime).

Szechuan: The greatest Chinese food around. Buffet available for lunch and full dinner menu.

Rancho Viejo: Outstanding Mexican fare.

Mac and Bob's: everything from subs to chops. New outdoor patio with a covered bar and fireplace. Just about a block from Roanoke College.

The Roanoker: affectionately known as "The Blue Hair Place". Most excellent down home cookin' (maybe that's why they have been around for as long as I can remember).

Now if ya wanna gussy up and do a little hob-knobbin': make a reservation at the Regency Room inside of Hotel Roanoke. Their famous Peanut Soup is to die for.

:wink:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Juggler

Yummy in your Tummy

Postby Juggler » 2007 Nov 17 21:14

Here are menus from two real nice places:

:lets:

Anonymoose

Postby Anonymoose » 2007 Nov 19 22:30

Besides coming to my house, I'd say Fangz is right on with the Roanoke suggestions! Ha! Joking. My husband loves frozen dinners, and sometimes we even heat them! But, I have the same problem, Beck. If we have out of town company, there's not really a restaurant that I would hands down, want to take them to. Most restaurants here are marginal. And, we're not in to expensive dining, just good food. If anyone has a suggestion, please make it.

resigned

Postby resigned » 2007 Nov 23 07:03

I like the Southern Inn in Lexington and have to say its probably one of my favorites. But when we go out on a Friday night, my husband usually wants a good hamburger and I don't think they have them. We usually eat there on Sundays after church, so haven't seen their menu for other times. I love their portabella mushroom sandwich it’s really good. You have Ruby Tuesdays and Applebee’s but it seems to me that those kinds of places all sort of begin to taste the same. I have to say that the North does have some good things and good eating-places are one of them. Also all the restaurants in NJ are smoke free and is that liberating. I would like to see that in VA.

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Nov 23 09:36

Five Guys in Staunton has the best burgers, hands down.

Pro Bono

Postby Pro Bono » 2007 Dec 05 11:28

First, a hello to Beckonwood, hope all has worked out with your Mom. Being cooking is one of my hobbies. I am a bit picky about restaurants also. I was also, at one time invested in one. Rough business. I know it's tax time and Christmas coming up and everyone is watching their dollar.

But over the state line in Awful West by God Virginia is the Greenbrier. Now it is not for the rich only. I lived in Lewisburg W. V. for awhile and would go there for their brunch on Sundays. The place is dead in the winter. I mean hardly anyone. Buffet Brunch on Sundays 10:30-2:30 is $39. 50 p. p.. But it is incredible. Yes, pricey for a Buffet. But, you can take a out of town guest for a nice drive and behold their is the Greenbrier in White Sulpher Springs. But after brunch you can walk the grounds. You don't have to be a guest to have a meal there or stroll the grounds. You can see the famous underground Nuke chambers that are now open to the public.

The place has history most all the Presidents have stayed there. Was also converted into a hospital for soldiers after WW II, my Father was there for almost 3 years. I ran into Sen. Byrd there one Sunday in the winter. Check their website but call and ask about what's going on. ALSO there are gourmet cooking classes taught there in the winter. I know it sounds expensive, but for 40 bucks on a Sunday, you get a great meal and a almost museum like walking tour of the incredible grounds. As I wrote the place is pretty much empty. Just the employees from Lewisburg looking at each other, so chat with the front desk staff and they will tell you what's going on, or upcoming cooking classes. Nope they aren't snobby either, just regular working people on the staff. Free parking, great food and a great place to stroll the grounds on a crisp winter day. It has been awhile since I was there, but I did check the price of Sunday Buffet on their website. And Harley, I don't think there will be a problem with your bike, just keep the RPMs down. It's a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon, and about an hour drive from Lexington.

joygame04

Postby joygame04 » 2007 Dec 05 11:45

Edelweiss is by far my favorite. It's in Greenville. German food. Accordian music...what more do you need??

Anonymoose

Postby Anonymoose » 2007 Dec 06 22:40

Earplugs.

resigned

Postby resigned » 2007 Dec 10 07:28

Anonymouse, you are funny. Hey ProBono, my Mom is doing fine. I had one creditor who called me and said they had to talk to me but needed me to send them my power of attorney. Well in the beginning I sent that POA to everyone on the lsit and then some. I told this creditor that I wasn't going to send my power of attorney and did not have to talk to them. I figured out if I sent my POA I would never stop hearing from them. They said there was some law that kept them from discussing my Mother's case with me until they had my power of attorney. I still keep thinking someone out there is going to get my poor mother.

She is recovering from pnemonia but doing better. She is the happiest I have seen her in years. She now plays bingo, engages in arts and crafts, plays in the handbell choir, reads at the church service and is wel liked by all staff. She is such a tiny thing and tries to help all the other residents by pushing wheel chairs, bringing drinks. I think she believes she works there and is not a resident. Oh and she waters all the plants in the facility, a job they gave her after she got involved in it.

As for you information on the Greenbrier, thank you so much. It is wrorth while. Our church group takes trips every month and is always looking for places to see. I will definitely contact the Greenbrier to see what kind of accomodations they could offer us in Feb or March. This Friday we are going to Washing DC to the Kennedy Center for a concert. We have about 44 people going and go by bus. We will stay over night and then on Sat. have a mystery tour. We wanted to visit the White House but apparently you need to contact them a year in advance to do so. But again thanks for the information.

Pro Bono

Postby Pro Bono » 2007 Dec 10 19:07

Beckonwood, Glad too hear Mom is fine. Smart lady you are , don't send them anything as that would imply intention to pay by you sending then your P.A..Let it go.As long as your not getting from calls and the 6 years statue of limitations has passed ( N.J.) you are in good shape. They won't sue, cost more in time and filing fees. Your mom doesn't owe diddly compared to others that become ill when they are elderly.Just ignore it ,they will go away like a bad dream.AND you know your and your Mothers rights now. Greenbrier is a great place ,call and ask about a group rate for brunch and perhaps a guided tour of the grounds. I believe it's 5,00 acres in total.Believe me it is empty in the winter. God Bless, Pro Bono

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2007 Dec 11 17:25

If the yuppies in this valley succeed with their new Valley Forward vision, ya'll will be invited to come on down and dine atop Mill Mountain.......after they destroy it with their restaurant plans.

:(
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Callyinva

Postby Callyinva » 2007 Dec 12 14:47

As far as West Virginia. Food & Friends at 213 Washington Street in Lewisburg beats the Greenbriar in White Sulphur hands down.

Or on Old Rt. 60 Halfway between Covington and White Sulphur there is an awesome little place we found called The Eagles Nest. A rustic restaurant with fireplace and nestled in the woods by a creek. The potted bread is to die for.
Last edited by Callyinva on 2007 Dec 13 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

Pro Bono

Postby Pro Bono » 2007 Dec 12 23:55

Real Hard too beat the Greenbriar 5 star. But the Food and Friends, really glad too hear Lewisburg has a good restaurant now. I have never been to.Sits down in a hollow? I think it may have been the Cabin Club years ago and was a private club,which meant that hard liquor was served on Sundays and had a piano bar. Cool place. It was kinda of a small place. But will check it out.Funny thing I lived on Washington Street years ago. Haven't been there since 2006. Thanks Pro

Callyinva

Postby Callyinva » 2007 Dec 13 13:13

Food & Friends has been In Lewisburg for at least 10 years that I know of.

Pro Bono

Postby Pro Bono » 2007 Dec 13 22:35

Callyinva OOPs, I left there (Lewisburg) in 1979. One of those divorce things. Dropped in during Chuck Volpes son's funeral service and went out to Rupert via Lewisburg, too see if the 8 bedroom 1 bath 1868 home was still in Rupert.It was Capt, McFarlen home (Summer) Gen Lee Bankers home . Unfortunately it was torn down along with the 2 story guest house. Broke my heart, but with a compliment to you, you weren't born yet in 1979.

But did stop by during Charles Memorial service too see the Greenbriar. Don't usually get out there much. I travel a lot as a Maritime Atty. And marriages are hard to keep, being I only represent cruise lines. Ok you now know too much about me. But next time I'm in from DC, too see my best friend (brother) I will take a road trip with him there, on your suggestion. Thanks, Pro

Callyinva

Postby Callyinva » 2007 Dec 14 10:38

Well how sweet you are. I'd love to claim that I wasn't yet born in 1979. But truth be told, I was 21 and married unfortunately ( the married part) by then.LOL

Lis73

Postby Lis73 » 2007 Dec 14 15:46

The Crown Sterling in Lynchburg and the Briar Patch in Amherst are pretty good places within driving distance .The New London Steak House in Forest is a favorite also. Neighbors Grille was voted favorite restaurant in Lynchburg and they have a great menu to choose from.