Russian spammers try to register here and every other public electronic forum hundreds of times every day, so I'm in a cat-and-mouse game to foil them. The trick is to deny Russian "bots" (computer program robots) registration while allowing valid humans in. My security system has evolved as follows:
- Original, failed utterly so I dropped it. The registrant had to translate "capcha" graphics into characters. Unfortunately, optical character recognition software quickly allowed the spammers to answer automatically, register & start posting trash.
- Improved, asked the registrant "How many noses on a human face?" This baffled the "bots" for several months, but a few days ago they started answering the question correctly.
- Present, asks the registrant "How many eggs are in four dozen?" This slightly more complex question, with a higher number as an answer, is holding so far against "bots".
- The far left image in the 3-image logo at top of this page is what? (natural, western, silent, hydroelectric)
- What mountain is visible from Lexington? (house, rocky, ranier, everest)
- Dead generals from what war are buried here? (civil, korean, iraq, mexican)
- A drive-in movie here is? (hulls, redwood, petes, spankys)
- What river runs through Goshen Pass?