Have some Fun & Help Stonewall

Stonewall
Site Admin

Have some Fun & Help Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » 2007 Sep 23 15:46

Note added: Users are not vulnerable, so do not fear. Only your Administrator Stonewall is vulnerable to these guys!

Russian spammers try to register here and every other public electronic forum hundreds of times every day, so I'm in a cat-and-mouse game to foil them. The trick is to deny Russian "bots" (computer program robots) registration while allowing valid humans in. My security system has evolved as follows:
  • Original, failed utterly so I dropped it. The registrant had to translate "capcha" graphics into characters. Unfortunately, optical character recognition software quickly allowed the spammers to answer automatically, register & start posting trash.
  • Improved, asked the registrant "How many noses on a human face?" This baffled the "bots" for several months, but a few days ago they started answering the question correctly.
  • Present, asks the registrant "How many eggs are in four dozen?" This slightly more complex question, with a higher number as an answer, is holding so far against "bots".
But what do I do when this fails? My bright idea is a simple question, with a one-word answer, that will baffle both Russian "bots" and human criminals who don't know Rockbridge county, but that every person who's lived here would know. Here are my ideas so far:
  • The far left image in the 3-image logo at top of this page is what? (natural, western, silent, hydroelectric)
  • What mountain is visible from Lexington? (house, rocky, ranier, everest)
  • Dead generals from what war are buried here? (civil, korean, iraq, mexican)
  • A drive-in movie here is? (hulls, redwood, petes, spankys)
  • What river runs through Goshen Pass?
Which of these is best? Can you think of better questions, preferably ones that don't require prompting with a set of answers to choose among? A question that every Rockbridge resident, current & former, can answer but nobody else can?
Last edited by Stonewall on 2007 Sep 24 14:16, edited 5 times in total.
Thanks for your posts! Stonewall, your administrator ... just an "empty suit."

nonova

Postby nonova » 2007 Sep 24 12:04

What mountain is visible from Lexington? (house, rocky, ranier, everest)

resigned

Postby resigned » 2007 Sep 24 18:56

The name of the person for the river that runs through Goshen Pass? Admiral Maury, Aida Goshen, James Maurey, Maurey O'Hare

I tried to come up with some good ideas. But my poor ole brain is not moving the way I want. But thought of the above. Lame though it is.
An aside, he was born in Va. and later on taught at VMI.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2007 Sep 24 19:05

Thanks, nonova & beckonwood. Keep 'em coming!

Maybe "four dozen" will hold, but if the spambots break it, I'll need a good replacement question!

Pro Bono

Postby Pro Bono » 2007 Sep 25 00:20

General Lee's horses name ?

callyinva

Postby callyinva » 2007 Sep 25 06:56

Beckonwood good start.

Stonewall you would like questions that don't need multiple answer prompting.

How about what was the former name of the Maury River?

Who has a monument and is burried near Goshen Pass?

What was Mathew Fontaine Maury famous for?

What is the name the school structure that burned mostly to the ground on Rt 60 west of Lexington know as?

Where was the former Stonewall Jackson Hosptial located?

What building houses Artist in Cahoots?

What movie had a Hanging scened filmed in Lexington?

LOL, Yeah I know I've had too much time on my hands!

resigned

Postby resigned » 2007 Sep 25 07:57

Callyinva, you did good. But after reading yours I figured that you would have to have been born here, your parents and grandparents to know some of the answers. Boy were you on a roll. I could only come up with one after alot of thinking and that hurts my poor ole brain. :D

callyinva

Postby callyinva » 2007 Sep 25 11:33

He said he wanted questions that every person who has lived here should know. How could you live here and not know 75% of em. LOL.

Stonewall
Site Admin

FLASH -- Sneak Peak

Postby Stonewall » 2007 Sep 25 12:06

More nice suggestions -- great! (But, if I can't answer some of the questions myself, maybe I shouldn't use those?)

FLASH -- Sneak Peek

I'm fiddling with a new version of this software. A test version of the Rockbridge Forum is posted for you to preview yourself.

TEST (new software) version of Rockbridge Forum

(Since everything you post on the test version will be erased if and when I make a permanent conversion, post items you want to be permanent on the same old board you've been using. )

And tell me your reactions to the new version, pros & cons. I haven't decided yet whether we should move to it.
Last edited by Stonewall on 2007 Sep 26 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Sep 26 08:18

I like the new version a lot! May take some getting used to, but it has such a great look!
Good Job Stonewall!

callyinva

I'm heartbroken

Postby callyinva » 2007 Sep 26 14:46

Stonewall, I was counting on you for the answers to everything.

Hey I agree, I like the looks of the new forum also.

resigned

Postby resigned » 2007 Sep 28 22:13

Stonewall just wondering why has the private message been disabled?

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2007 Sep 28 22:36

It was a tough call and I hated to disable it. Some private messaging was reported to me as, well, unfriendly. While I regret disabling the private message conduit, I also respect the right of people avoid annoyances.

So two communications methods remain:
  • Public messages on the board that everybody can read.
  • Private messages to your e-mail address, if you check "Always show my e-mail address:" in your profile. Do this only if you don't mind making your e-mail address public.

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Sep 29 09:50

So, what's up with the new board? I keep expecting to log in here and have it appear.
As for the PMing being disabled, I'm torn. I recieved several annoying PM's from a member whom I'm sure I don't need to mention. However, I dealt with that and chose to ignore it for the most part.

Return to “Archive of Retired Topics”