Six Years Later

Wise One

Six Years Later

Postby Wise One » 2007 Sep 11 17:08

9/11 is today, 6 years later, and it's mostly silent on this Forum so far.

Why? Because we're sick to death of a bad war -- started on lies, against the wrong enemy, by an incompetent president, aided by a toady Republican Congress, and abetted by cowardly Democrats. This war benefits nobody, except possibly for a few senior executives of contractor firms receiving the funds wasted on this continuing tragedy.

My children, performers in NYC, lived here across the street from the south tower. At the first crash, I phoned them and advised them to leave immediately -- to put as much distance between themselves and the tower as possible.

They didn't, staying to photograph amazing stills & videos. Subsequent phone calls finally got them moving, but so late that they exited the apartment building just as the south tower began its collapse.

They ran at full speed toward a stone wall separating the Hudson River walkway from the apartment buildings, throwing themselves over the wall just as the blast wave of smoke & debris arrived. They had great difficulty breathing, for awhile thought they were perishing, but somehow made it south to Battery Park. They jumped on a boat and arrived as refugees in New Jersey.

Their apartment was trashed by exploding glass, fragments and dust by the tons. You get a sense for the violence from this photograph looking out their living room window, weeks later when they were readmitted briefly to collect a few possessions and, amazingly, surviving housecats. The building survived, had to be gutted and renovated and was reoccupied several years later.

Thankfully, all in my family survived essentially unscathed except for cuts & bruises from jumping the wall, and unknown lung exposure hazard. So we have a certain intimacy with this event, and of course believe strongly that it was necessary to find an punish the perpetrators.

The Afghanistan retaliation was appropriate and effective, up to the point when Bush diverted military resources for his insane attack on Iraq. The subsequent war, and the hysterical paranoia he and his enablers whipped up, has made ours both the most loathed government and the most fearful people on the planet. It has enabled unscrupulous politicians to wreak wholesale destruction on democratic rights we cherished and protected for generations, before this maniacal buffoon was visited upon us.

Two distinguished leaders, opposite parties, sum it up well in this piece published today.

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Sep 11 20:00

Thanks for sharing your personal story Wise One. I remember that I was at home with my then two year old son when my aunt called me and asked if I was watching t.v. She said a plane had crashed into one of the WTC buildings.
When the second plane hit and it became clear what exactly was happening, I don't think I've ever been so sad, or so fearful. My exact thoughts were "After today, our country will never be the same again"

This war started 6 years ago and still hasn't ended as it should have. However, something tells me that before Bush leaves office, Bin Laden will be "captured", wrapping everything up for Bush in a tidy little bow. Or at least he thinks...

PattyPink

War critics

Postby PattyPink » 2007 Sep 11 21:02

I get tired of hearing criticisms of President Bush and his handling of the war in Iraq. 20/20 hindsight shows us mistakes that have been made but I think that the decisions were made based on the information available. :naughty:

I have voted in enough elections to know that the president may be the head of the government but Congress is the neck which is responsible for the way the head turns. :whee:

So...who is to blame for the problems we face? I think looking in the mirror will be a good start when we feel the need to place blame. :roll:

Will the Democrats make better decisions than the Republicans? Do you trust Hillary to do what she says or do you fear she will do what she says? I guess it depends on who you ask.

Personally I think that whoever wins the Presidency faces an uphill battle because you can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but there is no way all the people can be fooled all of the time. :clap:
Don't ask if you don't want to know.

harleygrl35

Re: War critics

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Sep 11 21:18

PattyPink wrote:I get tired of hearing criticisms of President Bush and his handling of the war in Iraq. 20/20 hindsight shows us mistakes that have been made but I think that the decisions were made based on the information available. :naughty:

Well, if you're tired of hearing criticisms of Bush, you chose the wrong thread to come into. The information available? Wow, had I had the info available to me that Rice and Bush had to them before 9/11, even I, a mere citizen, would have taken it a tad more seriously...

I have voted in enough elections to know that the president may be the head of the government but Congress is the neck which is responsible for the way the head turns. :whee:

So...who is to blame for the problems we face? I think looking in the mirror will be a good start when we feel the need to place blame. :roll:

Funny, but when I look in the mirror all I see is a mother who wants a better future for my children then the turmoil we as a country have faced in the past 7 years.

Will the Democrats make better decisions than the Republicans? Do you trust Hillary to do what she says or do you fear she will do what she says? I guess it depends on who you ask.

Don't ask me, I think any schmo off the street could do better than what we have...

Personally I think that whoever wins the Presidency faces an uphill battle because you can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but there is no way all the people can be fooled all of the time. :clap:

Except if your last name starts with the letter B and rhymes with smush...