Local Elections

coleman

Postby coleman » 2007 Oct 22 13:31

I have been pondering over the 2 candidates for Sheriff for sometime. After watching the eyeonvirginia clip, I would say that while Day didn't have a lot to say, Clark made less sense.
Why would Clark say the Sheriff's office doesn't help or work with the other law enforcements and then say the deputys spend too much time on the interstates? I would think the Interstates with the huge amount of traffic is a great help to the State Police in enforcement of highway laws. The tickets issued are a source of revenue for the county as well as the deputys presence is a deteriant to speeders and other violators. The Interstates are a Central Area of Rockbridge County and from there deputys can respond to calls quicker. How does crusing the backroads deter crime? I think the county sheriffs office is doing a great job now. While there may be some employees that are unhappy, I say you will find that in about every place of employment.
I don't think it's time for a change yet. If there were other candidates besides Clark, maybe. I think he is mad because he got fired and from what I have read on here, I think his fairness and honesty are in question as well.

Skinikins

Postby Skinikins » 2007 Oct 22 15:24

If county deputy's continue patrolling the interstate what does that do for the areas in the county that aren't patrolled for long periods of time? I live north end of the county and there is plenty to patrol here which in return would be a source of revenue. What's worse case, a speeding ticket on interstate or night time prowlers sneaking out when they know there's no sign of a deputy on the road? Are you saying that "cruising" the backroads where folks reside doesn't deter crime? I would hate to think if I lived off of a main road that it was never patrolled because the county is too busy on interstate. A lot, not all state troopers are hired specifically for patrolling the interstate so let them do their jobs.

We have plenty of crime, ask Who Lee! He knows where all of the drug dealers are and I'm sure the county could really rake in revenue for more busts.

who lee oh

Postby who lee oh » 2007 Oct 22 16:54

Rockbridge Advocate : as independant as a hog on ice

Thanks for the break wise one
Did I hear a little criticism of Hotinger? LOL

clint eastwest

Postby clint eastwest » 2007 Oct 22 21:47

Wholeeo....kinda like a mexican that lives off of other peaple. nice choice of names. I hear you have your house up for sale. Maybe since they do work and can get along with people. you may have potential buyers there.
Matter at hand, be a man,,,use your right to vote....vote for Day...(fine man...at one time) but if your going to politician for him atleast have all facts straight. Dont slander people on assumptions. That tends to backfire. Be a gentlenen, teach others of Days good doings and intentions. You look really silly playing "tattle tale" man in a sheriffs election on a forum.
I have a question for you....you have know Clark from many, many years right..? Before he was on a subdivision commitee? Right? Then why did you buy there? or maybe your just hanging around moping like the guy a the lub place was doing.............instead of trash talking....have something educational to say to the readers that come here. :idea: and even try getting along with your family.....life is too short to have conflicts all the time with them. thanks for listening....clint

coleman

Clint EastWest

Postby coleman » 2007 Oct 23 12:12

Clint You should call Richard as I did. He posted his name and phone number. Interesting guy. The covenants of Clarks subdivision and the clear and present violations of those covenants persuaded me that Clark is not as fair and honest as he says he is.

clint eastwest

Postby clint eastwest » 2007 Oct 23 20:47

hey Clark.....good luck with your new job....

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Oct 23 21:19

I wonder if he is using a public computer, such as at the library. Could that be why all these user names are showing up under the same IP address?

That aside, though I normally enjoy a lively debate (check out the damn dam thread if you don't believe that), I would love for someone to point out the pros and cons of each candidate that actually mean a rats ass. I do not care if so and so used to roll a doobie now and then. I do not care what the substance was on Lewinsky's dress.
However, I do care of what each candidate brings to the table that will make our community a better, safer one...

resigned

Postby resigned » 2007 Oct 23 21:49

Hey Harleygrl, I asked that awhile ago, but never got an answer. Don't think most here have any. As WO pointed out this has become a who can do one better than the other one. golly miss molly would love to see some good ole pros and cons.

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Oct 23 22:00

You know what really irks me Beck? It's the fact that we all have a past. Whether it's one we are proud of or not, it's still our story. I have done many, many things in my life that I shouldn't have. But, I'd like to think that even the bad things helped shape who I am today in some shape or form.

That's why I don't care what someone may have done 15 years ago. We are all old enough to know that as we age, we gain more wisdom. (Well, at least most of us do, some things I read make me question.)
The things someone may have done in their past doesn't always have bearing on the person they develop into.

I was the proverbial black sheep of my family. The chick who everyone figured would get knocked up before marriage, would end up a junkie and/or in prison. Well, guess what..I had my children after I was married, I will not say that I've never hung with Mary, though it's been 18 years. I have never been in jail. The people in my family who put me down are the ones whos kids are single parents and hooked on some nasty stuff. That right there is my best revenge, sad, but true.

As the saying goes" Let he who is without sin..."

I haven't made up my mind who I'll be voting for, and I can honestly say that nothing I've read here has helped with making that decision.

Skinikins

Postby Skinikins » 2007 Oct 23 22:04

What a refreshing view harley....Many people know Who Lee and also know that he is using numerous names. Understand that he is only here to make an ass of himself.

As I've said before, I think changes are needed within the county sheriffs department. People are unhappy there because there isn't an open door policy as Clark has promised to have. From speaking to some of the deputys most everyone there walk on eggshells and are afraid of one mans dictatorship. Clark wants to focus more on the county back roads instead of the interstates as that is more of a responsibility of the state police. He would also like to have an open communication between Fire and Rescue along with the city departments which I feel could be beneficial to the county.

I have nothing personal against Day so I'm not going to start going on and on about what he hasn't done. I just feel that the county needs a change and feel that Clark is the best candidate for the position.

resigned

Postby resigned » 2007 Oct 23 22:22

Well said Harlygrl, I agree that we are products of our past - those events be they good or bad are what shape us. I feel that too many people judge to quickly or jump to conclusions to quickly before they get all the facts.

As for whom I will vote for I don't have clue. I have been doing some reading, but still haven't made up my mind. I would like to make some sort of an informed decision before I vote.

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Oct 24 08:05

Thanks Beck! Oh and Skini, thanks for at least a little clarity on the things Clark may focus on for our county.

I usually abhor political discussions/debates, because it seems the same thing always happen. There's lots of mud slinging and not enough focus on the things that matter to the common people.
As I stated above, we all have a past. We as humans are constantly evolving and what may have been acceptable to us ten years ago, may not be today. As what is acceptable today, may not be ten years from now.

If I knew for a FACT that Clark had smoked left handed ciggies ten years ago, would it change my decision to maybe vote for him? Nope. Because although I know that the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior (thanks Dr. Phil for that tidbit!), I'd like to think that as we grow as humans we develop more of a moral code.

Now, before someone goes all cockeyed on me, I am NOT saying that someone who indulges in that type of lifestyle has no morals, each to his own. But, everyone of us, regardless of what we do, have our own moral compass. We all know the basic rights and wrongs.

So, tell me Who Lee, without slamming Clark, why is Day the best for this job? Something other than his experience has to come into play here. If you doubt that, read what I said above. Have you considered that this community itself may have evolved past what Day can do for us? That's not a slam against Day, just a question. Please just list for us the pros of voting for Day and the cons of voting for DAY, not just the cons of voting for Clark.

who lee oh

Postby who lee oh » 2007 Oct 24 14:19

Sheriff Day has been in law enforcement most all of his life, so to say what the pros and or cons are about him without simplying saying experience, takes some thought to name all he has done. I know every time someone has a complaint and it is not resolved to their liking, someone made a bad decision and so we don't like that person. If you hire an attorney and you loose your case, bad attorney. If you go to a doctor and he or she, doesn't fix your problem, bad doctor.
There is an open door policy, at least for the public, at the Sheriff's office now and has been. I have been in there a couple times and was listened to and was offered assistance. The Sheriffs department has deputys patroling the schools now and they do work with the other law enforcement agencies. They help out with fire and rescue when called and answer all calls in a very prompt, timely and professional manner when called. I have listened to calls on a police, fire and rescue scanner for years. Just this past week a crime was commited and the persons in question were apprehended within an hour. The deputys found out the names, the car and where they may be headed. With deputys running down these leads in a short amount of time, the person or persons were stopped in Augusta Co. before they could get to Richmond. Sheriff Bob Day was right out there with his men persuing the criminals. There is a picture of Bob Day in this weeks News Gazette, accepting an award from VMI for his departments assistance with the college. I would think there are a lot more awards on the walls of the Sheriffs office that recognize their efforts in law enforcement. The man has seen a lot in 16 years as Sheriff and has a good group of deputys working with him.
I don't know all the inside employees complaints, so I can't comment on that. I do know that working at Dana Corp. there were good managers and bad ones. The good ones were strict and "cracked" the whip, so to speak. Some employees didn't like it , but everyone knew the rules. Later down the road when we got a younger less experienced manager, rules were bent to satisfy certain instances. Then, a lot of employees began to challange the rules. Management lost control. Then the union came in and convinced the majority to get a contract. They did and now Dana is gone.
I would suggest that if there is a problem inside the department, it should be addressed. If it's rules, they need to be the same for all. If the rules haven't changed since you were hired, then you should have known what you were hiring into. If you are unhappy where you work, do yourself and everyone else a favor and look elsewhere. I find it hard to believe the deputys who work at the Sheriffs office are that unhappy that they continue to work there. The majority of them that I hear on the radio, bust their butts to get to the call first and there is usually one or two backing them up. 16 years versus ....... Hey HarlyGirl can I give Clarks Pros and Cons ??

Skinikins

Postby Skinikins » 2007 Oct 24 15:25

Who Lee

Many people here are tired of reading the false assumptions that you've put out about Clark.

Go figure, how many people do you need to list yourself as being to make it look as though there are many people agreeing with what you have said. Everything that you've mentioned in the last thread about Day may be true besides the fact that there is an open door policy. What officers have you talked to that are totally satisfied and say that they feel like they could ever walk in his office with a problem. I would say not very many of them, considering that Day felt so threatened by Clark running for sheriff that he had to fire him. What other reasoning did he have? Clark was an officer that performed his daily duties as the rest of the department did!

Why would more than half of the department leave their jobs to find work else where when a simple change can be made by removing one man?

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Oct 24 16:41

Who Lee, I would love to hear the pros and cons of Clark. However, if your previous posts are any indication, I have a hard time believing that you can find anything positive to say about Clark. But by all means....
Just the facts though, not anything you can't back up with substantial proof. Play nice!

resigned

Postby resigned » 2007 Oct 24 17:00

Harleygrl you go girl. This is getting interesting and more readable.

dw

Sheriff

Postby dw » 2007 Oct 24 17:15

Allow me to post some points to ponder.

Anyone who patrols the interstates on a regular basis is looking for moving violations where the offender pays a fine. Interstate = cash in the coffers. Real detective work and crime prevention is done on the true roads of the locality. When is the last time you saw anyone driving along the interstate selling drugs or holding up a 7-11? They commit crimes where they live and not on the interstates.

How well does the current sheriff's office work with the state and other localities? I know what my thoughts are on this but I want you to think about what you know or have heard. Are all these rumors of a small dictatorship true? Did a lot of people quit in recent times? If so, where did they go and why? Who doesn't want a government paycheck and what would make someone leave it?

Is Clark really an egotistical monster he is being painted as? He does have a law enforcement background so what disqualifies him to be a contender?

In my fantasy world, a candidate will stand up and tell me why I should vote FOR him and not why I should vote AGAINST his opponent.

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Oct 24 17:31

beckonwood wrote:Harleygrl you go girl. This is getting interesting and more readable.

Thanks again.. :oops:

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Oct 24 17:36

dw wrote:Allow me to post some points to ponder.

Anyone who patrols the interstates on a regular basis is looking for moving violations where the offender pays a fine. Interstate = cash in the coffers. Real detective work and crime prevention is done on the true roads of the locality. When is the last time you saw anyone driving along the interstate selling drugs or holding up a 7-11? They commit crimes where they live and not on the interstates.

I totally agree with this statement. I hear we have a drug task force in this community, but I don't see a whole hell of a lot of busts going on. Why is that?

How well does the current sheriff's office work with the state and other localities? I know what my thoughts are on this but I want you to think about what you know or have heard. Are all these rumors of a small dictatorship true? Did a lot of people quit in recent times? If so, where did they go and why? Who doesn't want a government paycheck and what would make someone leave it?

Another good question. Although I haven't heard any rumors, do you have any factual info of who quit the SD and why? Not picking, just asking!

Is Clark really an egotistical monster he is being painted as? He does have a law enforcement background so what disqualifies him to be a contender?

I think in the political world, at this point, even I could be a contender.

In my fantasy world, a candidate will stand up and tell me why I should vote FOR him and not why I should vote AGAINST his opponent.

AMEN!!

Oh and btw, Who Lee Oh, or whomever you may be, your last post was probably the best one I've seen from you for quite awhile. I appreciate you doing your best to actually give me some real info on Day. See how good things can be when we all try hard.. :wink:
Or in the words of a King: Why can't we just all get along?!?"

Hitman

Postby Hitman » 2007 Oct 24 21:29

First of all, who really cares what each and every candidate has to say what they will do once they take office. They will never do what they say, and if they do, its at the end of their term, which is when they are trying to be re-elected. Politics are all about the "MUD SLINGING"----This is what America is based on. Harleygrl35, you mentioned play nice? Are you living in Wonderland and following the Yellow Brick Road, because you are living in a fantasy world!!! Lets hear all the bad stuff about each candidate, this brings some good humor into the days when it comes out. Election day is almost here, so dish it out. Nobody really cares anyway!!! :D
Start Slinging!!!

Return to “Archive of Retired Topics”