BV might surprise you

Anonymoose

BV might surprise you

Postby Anonymoose » 2007 Aug 20 15:53

It's just natural for us animals to try to place ourselves in our rightful pecking order, but the BV bashing may be premature. Have you noticed the good things that are going on there, in terms of the new economic director and the positive steps that are being made? Could it be that BV will get its act together and become "respectable"?

Honestly, Lexington and BV have so much rental property and the problems associated therewith, only the faces are different. Many of Lex's ills just clean up better. But, speaking of cleaning up, does there exist an uglier corridor into a city than that of Rt 60 East coming west into Lexington? At least coming into BV you sense a little identity. That Rt 60 corridor into Lex is just a mess, a poorly thought-out hodge podge of stuff. Who let that happen?

callyinva

Postby callyinva » 2007 Aug 20 18:08

what a joke, Didnt hear anyone bash Buena Vista yet.
The new economic director is the same guy that is the business development director....

and supposedly they hired what is being called a planner to replace someone that did several jobs.
BV has more financial debt then ever.

How is it a good thing when the Finance director who should argue to tow the line on spending has to argue with the city manager who should be trying to get the funds to take care of BV's needs,When they are in fact the same man!

which that was a mess..... and the council was suckered right into that one so they could get a 2 for 1 deal...

ok its a good thing.....

I love people who dream

harleygrl35

Re: BV might surprise you

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Aug 21 09:51

Anonymoose wrote:It's just natural for us animals to try to place ourselves in our rightful pecking order, but the BV bashing may be premature. Have you noticed the good things that are going on there, in terms of the new economic director and the positive steps that are being made? Could it be that BV will get its act together and become "respectable"? Honestly, Lexington and BV have so much rental property and the problems associated therewith, only the faces are different. Many of Lex's ills just clean up better. But, speaking of cleaning up, does there exist an uglier corridor into a city than that of Rt 60 East coming west into Lexington? At least coming into BV you sense a little identity. That Rt 60 corridor into Lex is just a mess, a poorly thought-out hodge podge of stuff. Who let that happen?
Just a question Moose, do you live in BV? Because let me tell you the huge glaring difference in Lexington and BV. Buena Vista is LexVegas' redheaded step-child.

I lived in Lexington for over 10 years and while I loved the town, it was hell after my divorce trying to find housing that a single parent could afford. The owners of rental property in Lex. know that they can get the big bucks from the college kids (make that college kids parents). Where does that leave people who can't afford those kind of rental rates? I'll tell you where...Buena Vista. But I have a feeling that's all about to change too. Because with the SVU kids, the renters in BV are seeing they can get big bucks too.

Anonymoose

dreaming

Postby Anonymoose » 2007 Aug 22 06:41

Yeah Cally, I guess it's easier to just sit back and observe the past and say things will never change, and be satisfied that you are "right". Whatever. "Progress" is relative to the situation. I still think BV has a fighting chance...whereas, Lex will continue to let the old heads make questionable decisions and keep Lex from reaching it's full potential. I know all about the rental props and lack of affordable living for working Joe's in our area. Of course we wouldn't want to offer affordable housing in Lex, then all those red-headed step-children from BV would be living there.

Harley, it is a dilemma for singles and working families wanting to live anywhere in this county, affordably. The prices for rentals in BV will go up, especially near SVU, but, many of those properties are being fixed up by new owners making an actual investment in those properties. No matter whose money it is, the overall result will be good for BV, I believe. But, that's just me dreamin', according to Cally.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams - eleanor roosevelt :!:

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Aug 22 14:04

I agree that fixing up those rental properties can only be good for BV. But, who exactly is it good for? The kids who are from out of town whose parents can afford to pay those high rental rates? Or the people who live here all year round who can scarcely afford to live as it is?

callyinva

Postby callyinva » 2007 Aug 23 09:04

Moose, I was referring to your comment about the hiring of the new economic director and the positive good things happening. A title change and the shuffling of jobs is a mere smoke screen. The problems of their past still dictates their future. Ignoring ones obligations does not make them go away.

We need good affordable housing in this county that is very true. But on the other hand would you deny those who lived here all their lives, raised their kids here, and now have to move because of stupid economic decisions on the part of our governments the right to sell their homes for profit!

It is kind of two sided, When you are buying something you want it the cheapest you can get it and when you are selling you want the most you can get for it.

But that is beside the point. The respectability has to start with Buena Vista city government and I have not seen a 180 turn around in its thinking.

Candy coating a tootsie roll still makes it a sucker!

Anonymoose

Housing prices

Postby Anonymoose » 2007 Aug 29 06:39

Cally: You have a much longer history with the BV than I, so I don't know the long story about who's on council, and what decisions have been made. There have been poor ones, for sure. But, change doesn't happen overnight, and I think if you asked people in BV, they would tell you that some positive things are happening. The rental rates in BV will likely never approach what they are in Lex. BV just can't sustain that standard of living. But, there are thriving businesses downtown, new grants to help start new businesses, and real estate there is still selling, I believe, while sales in Lex & the county have ground to a virtual halt. BV also has the assets of Vista Links, and Glen Maury Park. I know the debt load for Vista Links is high, but eventually it will be paid for, and may provide incentive for other recreational amenities that are available to the public. Despite conventional wisdom, I still say BV has potential. Actually, the whole region has recreational potential that is not being utilized. If the localities would band together and plan for the future as a region, the results could be phenomenal, IMO. :)

Harley & Cally: You have both talked about housing prices here being too high. What is the history of that and what or who do you attribute that to? Has it always been that way? I find it very curious, but don't know exactly what to attribute it to. It's not like people are getting rich working at the universities, and there's no real industrial tax base here, so who's buying all these over priced properties? I know, I hear it's the wealthy retirees and horse people, but does that really account for the degree of inflation in home prices overall? I'm just not sure, and am interested in your perspectives. And, I guess on the flip side, if we're really interested in controlling overdevelopment, the prices aren't nearly high enough!

callyinva

Postby callyinva » 2007 Aug 29 08:32

Don't think that the real estate prices are high at all for those coming in from other areas. But for the Lexington, Buena Vista, born and bread who prefer to stay here after high school graduation and start a new chapter in their lives, they can't afford the prices. I refer to the younger generation as the older generation we either able to purchase a home years ago or have inherited the family home place. I leave out the middle generation as I can't honestly see them coming here yet due to retirement (too early) or because of a job offer (few and far between).

I think the price of real estate has to do with supply and demand. Retiree's have found a pot of gold in Lexington. Great restaurants, a vast array of cultural activities, low crime rate, all the outdoor activities that you could wish for. Beautiful mountains all rolled up in a quaint little place that once you move in you immediately call home!
Lexington is becoming more and more a retirement community, look at all the town homes popping up. There is also that place out on Old Buena Vista rd. called The Ponds if my mind isn't slipping. Absolutely breathtaking views. But those families who have a combined income of 50,000 or less can only dream.

So where do you go if you still want to retire and want everything that Lexington has to offer but your a little more budget conscious. BUENA VISTA! Only 6 miles away. Less shopping but who cares! I'm still got my cake and now can afford the icing.

I have always seen the potential Buena Vista has had. Several years ago I remember comments by ex- employees referring to the outdoor potential and the need to capitalize on that. We need industry was always the reply. Well almost 10 years down the road has the light finally been turned on? I do hope so. But why has it taken 10 years? Did Buena Vista all of a sudden get a totally new council? Nope it's the result of ignoring it and it will go away until it bites them tushy and they have to deal with it.

Look at how long they have been ignoring the municipal building not being handicap accessible? Will it bite them in the tush when someone files a lawsuit.
Shoot just the fact that they are so slow in naming the next Chief of Police. BV, you posted the job description, I assume you had applicants; It's public knowledge that most feel that Mr. Panibeanco should be promoted. I would think his application would stand up among the others. So, whats the deal? Can you hear their minds and see the smoke. Such a dilemma they have. To hire an outsider who has been on the force for a great many years and given his all to that community as a police officer and a volunteer but (yes there is a but) he is known to be fair, honest and won't roll over in his beliefs or do we hire someone else from the outside who will be a little more intimidated and do as told. I suppose the 3rd solution would to be hiring someone else on the force. Who knows their thinking? It just all depends on which way the wind blows at the time.

It is just so frustrating to easily see the potential in a little place like that and for the city's leaders to have blinders on for so many years.
===============================

Congratulations A.J. Panebianco!

While I am pleased to see that you have been named as acting. I do hope that the kahoonas can be found to make it a permanent promotion. But unfortunately I do not believe they will.

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Sep 03 21:15

So, did anyone else see the fireworks in BV tonight? I have to admit it was an impressive display. I actually enjoyed them more than the ones at VMI on July 4th. It's a shame BV only sets them off on Labor Day, I wonder why that is?

Anonymoose

Fireworks

Postby Anonymoose » 2007 Sep 19 23:30

Yes, we did see the fireworks, all the way out in "the county". Very impressive, and not cheap. So who cares if they can only do good fireworks once a year? It appears they did it right. Next topic, not speaking directly to you, Harley. Just think its encouraging that B.V. did indeed hire the "outsider" as police chief. Every locality would like to hire from within, but, not always the best choice.

Anonymoose

Virtues of the area

Postby Anonymoose » 2007 Sep 19 23:46

Cally, you have valid points. But, I don't think people choosing BV over Lex as a destination is necessarily financial. Maybe some people simply LIKE the more laid-back nature of BV. And, they still get the mountains. Lex as a retirement destination is no different than many other areas of the state/country. People are just drawn to different things. Great restaurants? Not sure about that. All the cultural amenities? Not sure about that. Lex has nice qualities, but for a retiree, there are drawbacks. Health care is an issue. And, quaint is nice, but after a while, even retirees need some stimulation besides the latest political controversy. I'm not seeing it. Sure, lots of townhomes going up, but lots of it is speculative. In five years we should have a better idea of how the real estate supply/demand is panning out. And yes, I know how difficult it is for average people to afford housing here. A nice $50,000 lot is next to impossible to find, much less build a house. And, not everyone wants to invest money to build an expensive house without public water/sewer and internet access. Rural is nice, but convenience is sacrificed. At some point our tax dollars need to be realized in some useful services.

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Sep 20 09:02

Moose, (sorry, it was just shorter to type..lol)
Living in BV really wasn't a choice for me. When I left my home in lexington after 10 years, I found the other rental properties to be exorbitant.
I can only give you my opinion on why I think that is. Lexington is a college town, and landlords who own houses that have 3 or more bedrooms can rent those homes charging each student by the bedroom. When a rental property owner can get $200.00 apiece for each one, why would he/she rent for $500.00 when they can easily get $800.00?
Again, that's JMHO...

Anonymoose

Exactly

Postby Anonymoose » 2007 Sep 20 22:10

Yes, that's what's such a shame. I have talked to more than one person who had that same problem....self included!....And, yes, charging by the head is a lot more profitable. It's one of those unfortunate DI-lemnas. As a property owner, you want to capitalize, and yet, working families have a hard time affording housing. And, living on a single person's salary is next to impossible in this area.

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Sep 21 08:47

Also, the neighborhood where I live in BV is becoming much the same way with renting to college students. Two such homes in just a year. I wonder what TPTB think happens to the families displaced by their greed? Wait, what am I saying, they don't care! :roll:

kantonburg

Postby kantonburg » 2007 Oct 04 10:02

harleygrl35 wrote:So, did anyone else see the fireworks in BV tonight? I have to admit it was an impressive display. I actually enjoyed them more than the ones at VMI on July 4th. It's a shame BV only sets them off on Labor Day, I wonder why that is?

It's always been this way. RC is such a small place Lexington does their's on the 4th and BV does their's on Labor Day. That way everyone can see the display twice a year. I guess they feel it isn't worth the cost if both towns put theirs on the same day/time.

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Oct 06 14:51

Good point katonburg! But I wish BV did them on each holiday so I wouldn't have to fight the traffic generated in Lexington for the 4th of July. Ah well..if wishes were horses and all that jazz..