Filibustered!

Uji

Filibustered!

Postby Uji » 2010 Apr 26 13:18

The Reps, once again, have refused to miss the chance to miss a chance.

Greece is about to default; the euro is falling; it's revealed that the amount of "toxic assets" on the books of the banks is twice what was first thought and that the number of homes on the verge of default are close to ten times what had been estimated...

And what do the Reps do to face this crises? They decide to filibuster the bill that the entire world is waiting for with bated breath. Their objection? They don't like the fact that the House wants the banks to pay for their own bailout -- an item which is apparently not even in the Senate bill.

This is worse than politics as usual; it is pure, unadulterated, cynical careerism: What ever I think helps my reelection must be good for the country, right?

I'll bet they've figured wrong this time. I don't think even the tea-bags of the right will buy this nonsense. The vote's today, I think; perhaps some of the Reps will turn out to have some semblance of self-respect. What odds would you lay on that? :hair:

Coondog

Re: Filibustered!

Postby Coondog » 2010 Apr 26 19:26

Well, I'm not betting against the capacity of the Republicans to salivate in unison when the obstructionist bell chimes. Some dawgs will do anything for a Scooby Snack! And the banks are holding all the biscuits!

I'm having difficulty following the logic (or lack thereof) with this one. What I've heard from jabbering conservatives is only that the bill allows bailouts by taxpayers and they are once again overwhelmed by the number of pages.

The bailouts they are talking about apparently have to do with a fund paid in advance by the banks to off set the cost to the taxpayers of dismantling failed banking institutions. I can't figure how that allows taxpayer bailouts, and I haven't heard anyone who believes it (or pretends to) explain exactly how that is.

I refuse to believe (in spite of appearances) that the entire conservative branch of the legislature has gone totally and irrevocably insane......all at the same time. Like you, I would expect at least one of them to be rational enough (and honest enough) to at least try to cooperate for the good of the country and the people in it.

Oh, yeah, they are also characterizing it as a "government takeover" of private financial institutions.

I wonder if these clowns (not the funny, Clarabell kind of clown - the malicious Stephen King type of clown) think they were elected to go to Washington and do absolutely nothing - like they did when they had the majority. They seem to have no purpose other than to mischaracterize all attempts to solve pressing & important problems......and refuse to participate in any constructive fashion.

We shall see......and soon, whether there is one or more with the guts to stop dancing the Texas side step and show some personal integrity.

But I'm not gonna bet on it!

:shakeh: Coondog

Uji

Postby Uji » 2010 Apr 27 16:23

coondog wrote:We shall see......and soon, whether there is one or more with the guts to stop dancing the Texas side step and show some personal integrity.

And they aren't even filibustering the bill, but the legislative process! The vote (they filibustered) was simply to bring the bill up for discussion and amendments. So, they don't like the bill, they want to be more involved "in the process" but they refuse to allow "the process" to proceed. Cool, huh? :sip:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2010 Apr 27 16:55

"....we want to end too big to fail, but not restrict the size of banks or their ability to compete globally...."
K Baily Hitchison R-Texas

Yes...........and the good citizens are bursting at the seams to get to the polls in November to vote for some more of these deadbeats.

Americans will be deserving of the ensuing rectal penetration.

Coondog :hammer:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2010 Apr 28 07:24

As outrageous as the filibuster is, I find myself even more outraged by the arrogant attitudes of the Goldman-Sachs execs who say "We didn't do it!!! We did nothing wrong!". What slimy, deceitful, greedy cretins!!!!!!

:hair:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Uji

Postby Uji » 2010 Apr 29 08:26

I wasn't paying much attention to the Goldman thing till the emails came out. Have you read those? Not only knew it was crap they were selling, but though it funny that "widows and orphans" were buying them...

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2010 Apr 29 09:21

Warren Law, the eminent and most talented lecturer in Finance at the Harvard Business School, is responsible for the "widows and orphans" crack. It has permeated the culture.

In all of his courses for decades he was fond of looking at the facts of a Finance Case from the point of view of
  • corporation executives on the one hand, and
  • "widows and orphans" (stockholders) on the other.
What better technique could there be for illuminating the broad range of consequences of a contemplated financial policy/action?!

He was a great guy and held me spellbound as he performed.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Uji

Postby Uji » 2010 Apr 30 11:57

Sounds like a wonderful teacher. And that puts the "widows and orphans" joke in some context. Thanks.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2010 May 05 14:00

coondog wrote:I wonder if these clowns (not the funny, Clarabell kind of clown - the malicious Stephen King type of clown) think they were elected to go to Washington and do absolutely nothing - like they did when they had the majority. They seem to have no purpose other than to mischaracterize all attempts to solve pressing & important problems......and refuse to participate in any constructive fashion.

We shall see......and soon, whether there is one or more with the guts to stop dancing the Texas side step and show some personal integrity. But I'm not gonna bet on it!

You have this perfectly nailed, Coondog! One must always hope that some of these "public servants" will actually work for the public interest rather than only for narrow party and personal gain, but we've been waiting an awfully long time for Republicans so to do.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."