Veterans Benefits

Quiet_Knight

Veterans Benefits

Postby Quiet_Knight » 2010 Mar 12 06:45

Times are getting tougher every day, and for some the VA may have an answer that few people know about. Rockbridge County has a large population of Veterans, a lot of whom are either WWII or Korea who are having problems with medical conditions that require the assistance of others, or simply can't work because of health reasons.

The VA has a pension program that can pay up to $23,960 a year to Veterans who need help with day to day living activities. They can use the funds to pay for nursing homes, assisted living, or pay someone to come into their home and help take care of them. The program is called a VA Pension with Aid and Attendance, and the funds are paid directly to the Veteran. Widows of Veterans can also receive this benefit, but the limit is $12,000 a year. VA also has a standard pension for Veterans who because of a medical condition, regardless if it is associated with military service or not, cannot work. Widows can also qualify for this benefit too.

Over the years I have learned that most Veterans qualify for benefits, they just don't know it. Routinely when they got out of the service someone told them, "you don't qualify for anything, just go home" so they did. If you don't ask the question, the answer will always be no. Make a claim.

If you know of a friend or family member who is in need of help, have them contact the VA and file a claim.

Uji

Re: Veterans Benefits

Postby Uji » 2010 Mar 19 00:34

Quiet_Knight wrote:Rockbridge County has a large population of Veterans, a lot of whom are either WWII or Korea who are having problems with medical conditions that require the assistance of others, or simply can't work because of health reasons..

I've got a WWII veteran who lives up the road from us. He not only farms 100 acres and takes care of two grandchildren (orphaned by cancer and divorce) but volunteers weekly at a VA hospital, visiting patients and providing moral support. Guy is 90 or so and he's still engaged in community service, political activism (he's got a Gore/Liberman bumper sticker on his truck) child care, and proud member (judging from the bumper stickers on his tractor) of the AFL-CIO.
Makes me feel like a first-class wanker. What have I ever done for this Rebubic aside from writing letters to the editor.
I'm with you Quite_Knight, what ever these Vets are due, they oughta get cause it aint nearly enough whatever it is. :salut:

szumlicm

Postby szumlicm » 2010 May 03 16:47

Uji wrote: I've got a WWII veteran who lives up the road from us. He not only farms 100 acres and takes care of two grandchildren (orphaned by cancer and divorce) but volunteers weekly at a VA hospital...

Uji- I'm writing an article about vets and the VA. I would love to talk to your neighbor! He sounds amazing, a true inspiration. If you could get in touch with him, please let him know. I'm not sure how this forum works as far as e-mail goes, but I would like to contact him to set up a time for an interview. My deadline is May 21.
Thank you!

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2010 Jun 01 10:15

Return to “Archive of Retired Topics”