The American Party system and future of America

historyforall

The American Party system and future of America

Postby historyforall » 2009 Oct 06 13:30

After reading and interesting essay I am drawn to what is the future of America? The academic essay, written by a European student, focused on an idea that the 2 party system in the US is actually one party that pits the citizens of the US into a fight against each other. Both sides have the same goal in mind centered on money, power and control of the population. Money through contributions and lobbyist, power though laws limiting citizen’s freedoms and making the police more like the military, and control though media manipulation and party rhetoric.

Compare this to a UVA against Virginia Tech sporting match. The rivalry is there to keep both fans fighting and taunting each other. For the sake of the argument all fans are Virginians but they get to the point where they hate the other team with such a passion that they hate each other, even though on the whole it is good for Virginia. For each side, their team can do no wrong even when they make bad plays. This drives the other side even crazier because they know a bad play was made but just ignored or shrugged off by the other side. When their team is winning they don't care if it was through wrong means or not as long as they win. A bad call by refs is never disputed by the team it favors. We attack those who question our country and then turn around and attack our country. It is interesting that we attack those who attack the office of the president but than attack that very office when the other team has control of the ball. Is the president supposed to be respected even though we disagree or is the position open to degradation? In my youth it was an American right to disagree with the government but you still saluted the flag and the office of the president. Now it has no more respect. We spit on it, roll it in dirt and drag it through the gutter. Rockbridge County is guilty of it by not letting the president’s school message be heard. We just taught an entire generation that the president, right or wrong, is not to be respected. My parents had us sit in front of the tv and watch all the presidents addresses. Even the ones they disagreed with.

So I ask what is your opinion of the future of America and how can citizens such as us change this? For me its bringing back respect as a whole. Schools should teach citizenship and honor our history. Not make Wal-marts out of it. Adults should stand up for what is right even if they don't like it.
I believe in the rights and freedoms of a person even when I don't support them on a moral or fundamental basis.

Uji

Re: The American Party system and future of America

Postby Uji » 2009 Oct 07 14:00

historyforall wrote:So I ask what is your opinion of the future of America and how can citizens such as us change this? For me its bringing back respect as a whole. Schools should teach citizenship and honor our history. Not make Wal-marts out of it. Adults should stand up for what is right even if they don't like it.

For what it's worth, Historyforall, I'm more than a little pessimistic. I think we will continue the slide, already begun, into the status of "developing nation" -- where the best of everything is available, if you can afford it.

Your notion of the two parties as a way for the people to fight it out is a good one -- if the image is of a donkey and an elephant duke-ing it out in the ring while the oligarchy makes policy and runs the show in the back of the hall. The right vs. left circus on cable TV is all just bread & circus; if they can convince us that our real enemy is the guy who lives down the street with another guy, then we don't notice as they pick our pockets and steal decent health-care from our children.

Unless and until we find some way of installing into our citizens the habit of critical thinking, and the courage to face a fuzzy universe, we'll just gradually become a North American Argentina -- just one with a huge military and the inclination to use it.

Considering how we began, and what we might be, this is a heart-breaking prospect. Thank God for the teachers. My heart goes out to them -- but without educated parents or -- at least the respect for education -- what can they do?

As to your remarks about "respect": We respect some one by taking on faith that they respect critical thinking and the dictate of reason. When we treat another as if we have no respect for those things or that they don't, then we fail to show respect for either of us.

A cry of "You lie!" in a public forum directed at the president of your republic, a Constitutional scholar to boot, shows even less respect for yourself than for the president. And I think that is why it was easy for Obama to let the whole thing go. Said more about the Congressman than the president.
:confused:
Blah ... enough.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2009 Oct 07 16:33

When I read historyforall's post yesterday, the thought that kept banging my brain was the Lincoln quote "A house divided against itself cannot stand". I went and read the entire speech from which that quote is excerpted. The reading was most enlightening. Setting aside the fact that the speech dealt primarily with issue of the day, which was slavery and the Dred Scott Decision, the principles and rules of the game appear much the same then as they are today. The "house" (read the people) were then, and are today, being manipulated by a handful of the powerful (read "the man behind the curtain"). Bipartisanship, in the truest sense, will never exist under the current system in this nation. The system is slanted in favor of the "haves".......only it's cloaked in a way that blinds the "house" to the real agenda. As long as the man behind the curtain can keep the house at odds with itself, he can rather successfully destroy the foundation of said house. Look at the litany of of issues that have the house divided.....they range form highly significant to petty......from the war in Iraq to the Confederate flag. They include issues where government has absolutely no business.......abortion, gay marriage......and range to issues where the government has blatantly ignored the will of the people.......Wall Street, Iraq, healthcare reform.

I think the talking heads are in place by design.....the design of the man behind the curtain. Exactly when did the line blur and the press become the running joke that it is today? What happened to journalistic integrity and a "free press"? Why aren't the people boycotting the rags that dare to call themselves "news"papers and "news" programs that are so packed with non-news that it makes one want to vomit? Damn......a nation of sheeple!

As Lincoln said:
If we could first know where we are, and whither we are tending, we could then better judge what to do, and how to do it.

We are now far into the fifth year, since a policy was initiated, with the avowed object, and confident promise, of putting an end to slavery agitation.

Under the operation of that policy, that agitation has not only, not ceased, but has constantly augmented.

In my opinion, it will not cease, until a crisis shall have been reached, and passed.

"A house divided against itself cannot stand."

I believe this government cannot endure, permanently half slave and half free.

I do not expect the Union to be dissolved -- I do not expect the house to fall -- but I do expect it will cease to be divided.

It will become all one thing or all the other.

:bricks:

Moooooooooooooo!
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Uji

Postby Uji » 2009 Oct 09 09:37

fangz1956 wrote:As long as the man behind the curtain can keep the house at odds with itself, he can rather successfully destroy the foundation of said house. ...Why aren't the people boycotting the rags that dare to call themselves "news"papers and "news" programs that are so packed with non-news that it makes one want to vomit? Damn......a nation of sheeple!

Well said, Fangz. And the word you used a few posts ago -- "heartbreaking" -- hits the nail on the head. We produced Lincoln -- nowhere else on earth could have -- yet here we are. And the party of Lincoln, the party of Jefferson...? Heartbreaking.

What can we do? Speak our mind, respect reason and the dictates thereof (and others who do), and live our lives as honestly as we can. And, for the nation's sake, stop blaming other people for our own insecurities and all-to-human failings. :salut:

"Sheeple," great word...

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2010 Jan 09 10:07

Do you think that a party-polarized America, permeated by financial corruption and biased by monied interests is bad now?

You ain't seen nuttin' yet.

It's about to get a LOT worse. Just to make it clear, here's why.

:boxing:

PS. It's a case, again, of Republicans appointing activist judges who make law from the bench!

Sam

Postby Sam » 2010 Jan 12 08:25

Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists