And now for something completely different

Chaigirl

And now for something completely different

Postby Chaigirl » 2008 Mar 06 17:48

Hi all,

I realize this is totally unrelated to many of the discussions going on on this forum, but I'm hoping for some advice. I'm a law student at W&L and we're holding an event on March 22nd that we'd really like to get the community involved in. I put a notice in the local paper community events calendar, but that hasn't seemed to generate much interest. Any suggestions on places to publicize a run/walk or ways to get the local community interested in coming out? I would really appreciate any help you all can give me!!

Thanks!!!

resigned

Re: And now for something completely different

Postby resigned » 2008 Mar 06 21:25

You could contact all the local churches for involvement. What sort of involvement are you seeking? I would also try the Rotary Club in Lexington. We have a number of W&L students who come to our church, Manly Memorial Baptist on Main Street. Isn't there a local radio program for W&L? Seems to me I heard there was. Would that help?. I have a friend who has headed up a number of YMCA's if you could give me more information on what you need, I could contact her to see what ideas she had. She is good at this type of thing.

I jotted down some ideas don't know if they will help. But hopefully.

Renegade Mom

Postby Renegade Mom » 2008 Mar 07 06:16

FLYERS!

It takes a bit of time, but a great way to reach folks in this community is with eye-catching, well laid-out flyers.

The supermarkets as well as certain shops where people congregate are good. Some examples of places that have bulletin boards are Joyful Spirit Cafe, the Healthy Foods Mkt, Pack and Mail, the Library (get permission at desk), the YMCA, and Books & Co.. There are other business that will put a flyers in their windows like: Blue Sky Bakery, Southern Inn, the Palms, McCoys's Deli, Rockbridge Music.

It sounds as if the event may be suitable for a PSA announcement on the radio (offices on South Main St.). You can also have a flyer distributed (I'd 1/2 size it for cost control) through the offices at public schools to their students. I'd at least get some flyers up to the High School. I've never tried the hospital, but they might have a way to get your info to employees. The church idea is a good one also. The big presbyterian church at Main and Nelson has bulletin boards and a large, active congregation.

Also, if W&L has a Chamber of Commerce membership, they have e-mail adverts they send out to members. This is fee-based, but you should talk to them and see if you can work out something (Sammy Moore is the head of the Chamber).

Good Luck...hope this helps.

How about promoting your event right here? Aren't you missing an opportunity by not sharing on this forum? How about starting another thread with the title of your event (and the date it will be heald) as a post title. This forum is TINY, but it is still a free media channel for you to promote your event.

Renegade Mom

Postby Renegade Mom » 2008 Mar 07 06:18

Oh, yes! I forgot to encourage you to post flyers strategically around the W&L campus, too. There are townies that work and visit campus and lots of bulletin boards. Choose the ones in the high traffic areas, especially where visitors and staff will encounter them.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2008 Mar 07 13:14

Chaigirl wrote:... Any suggestions on places to publicize a run/walk or ways to get the local community interested in coming out?
You are most welcome to post an announcement here on this Forum. If you have trouble, I will assist in formatting from the source material.
Thanks for your posts! Stonewall, your administrator ... just an "empty suit."

Return to “Archive of Retired Topics”