Proposed education funding cut

RubyRed

Proposed education funding cut

Postby RubyRed » 2008 Feb 19 17:43

I just read the online article regarding Gov. Kaine's proposed $220 million funding cut from K-12 education. Although right now this does not affect my child because I am home schooling him, I find this to be an outrage. How can anyone want to cut funding for the education of our children. I am not sure where the exact "cutting" would be but I do not see how the taking of any money from education is considered a bright idea.

Juggler

Re: Proposed education funding cut

Postby Juggler » 2008 Feb 19 18:01

I support K-12 education as much as the next guy, but it's outrageous to allow children to stay in kindergarten for 12 years.

In my day, kids that dumb were kicked out to become ditch diggers or politicians.

RubyRed

Postby RubyRed » 2008 Feb 19 20:03

Whenever we would go visit my aunt who lives in West Va. we would see signs that stated "SLOW children playing" we would comment on how rude they were to call their children slow. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to fixing the problem.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Feb 21 04:30

Actually, Governor Kaine is NOT prosposing a cut to public education in the K-12 level. He is proposing and increase in pre-K funding to help low income families and is prosposing a cut in spending for colleges and universities. It is the General Assembly who are proposing the opposite....................cuts in public education with additional funding going to colleges and universities. Teachers in the public school system will likely receive a whopping 2% pay raise this year. I am sure that will put groceries on their tables and gas in their cars to get to work.

I am a product of the Virginia public school system.............Roanoke County to be exact. I feel I received an excellent education and the taxpayers got their money's worth. I have a daughter in the public school system at this writing......City of Salem to be exact. What I see today in public schools is troubling and I wonder how some families can possibly provide all the things required every school year. The things I speak of are out-of-pocket expenses for which the individual families must pay. Each year, there is a list of required supplies.............everything from pencils and paper, pens (specific brands and colors), markers (specific brands), hi-liters, note cards, notebooks (specific brands and sizes), binders (specific brands, sizes, and colors), liquid hand soap, and facial tissues. The latter two items are provided by each child and used communally by the entire class. Being in high school, my daughter's expenses rose considerably this past year. We did not mind paying the extra tuition fee for the college credit U.S. Government class. That was cheap at $65. But then came the graphing calculator for algebra at a cost of $120. This on top of book fees, locker fees (2 of those.....one regular and one for gym), and activity fees. All school sponsored field trips result in additional fees........$25 to $100 depending on the trip. Total expenses thus far for the school year have exceeded $400 and we are only half way through the school year. All of this BEFORE the bare basics of lunches and clothing. A hefty percentage of homework assignments require the use of the internet for their completion and some teachers require that completed assignments be e-mailed. Granted there are computers in the school and in the library..............but have you ever waited in line at the library for computer time which is limited to one hour? The school has approximately ten computers available for use by a student body of approximately 1,000 kids. How do low-income families get a fair shake for their kids when these are the current requirements of the public schools?

So you tell me how Virginia should spend its education dollars? It seems ill-conceived that we would fund higher education when there are far too many who are deprived of quality education at the K-12 level. Living here, we are lucky that the Salem school system is what it is. I can almost throw a rock and hit William Fleming High School (Roanoke City) where the drop-out rate is appalling, the campus is surrounded by barbed wire, and they are ignored for funding because the neighborhood is essentially poor and black. What is right about that? What is fair about giving less to the poor and minority neighborhoods so that the elitist schools in Northern Virginia can reap all of the benefit and privilege? Shame on the General Assembly if they continue to do disservice to the public school programs in favor of pandering to the monied folk.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 35_pf.html

:2cent:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?