Who would you rather?

Wise One

Re: Who would you rather?

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jun 07 07:47

These are good and thoughtful references, which I've not yet fully assimilated.

Meanwhile, I note frank admission by Greenspan of a chicken-and-egg problem.

That is, even starting the task of reverting to the gold standard requires, absolutely, a level of discipline and behavior that the government has seldom exhibited. (Otherwise the objections I raised would apply.)

One might believe that if even starting the gold standard again depends upon fantastic fiscal and monetary discipline, then our monetary system can already be made to operate very well under that discipline - with no real need for a gold standard after all.
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Pro Bono

Postby Pro Bono » 2008 Jun 07 11:31

That was a rough one Wise One. I had to force my index finger to press on the mouse. I come from a political family ( no fun growing up.as I wasn't the perfect teenager). My Father on occasion would have to run for office.When he quit politics and began private practice,it was of great relieve to me. But I was in the U.M.S.C. at that time and couldn't harm his political career any more.

But on another note, I'm overwhelmed with America's NEW participation in elections now. I see races,religions and genders really involved and expressing their rights,opinions and VOTING! I always stay away from discussing politics and religion as taught to me by my Father the politician.The great part is America is VOTING! I see a subtle political revolution taking place. When I hear people whining about the political leaders, I ask "did you vote ?" If they say no I then say "you have no right to complain then". I have the feeling this will be a history making election as it has been with the primaries. So please urge all to vote.

I always use the absentee ballot as I find it convenient to vote at home and not stand in line or if I'm not in my home state.As far as moaning about the current President I always say I wouldn't want that job. Would any of you ? In closing my Father upon leaving the political arena said " I can tell them all to kiss my ass now". God it's good to a American. Pro

Pro Bono

Postby Pro Bono » 2008 Jun 08 13:50

Beckonwood Lets see how Oboma and McCain do when they sqaure off in debate. The good part is about to start.Yes, I'm voting for McCain.I just feel that Oboma doesn't have the experience under his belt and is not cabable of surronding himself with knowledgable/expereinced staff at this point in his life.I view the Presidency as a corperation. You don't make the mail clerk Pres. right away.By the way I started my carrer as a mail boy. And learned the ropes thru mentors, time and hard work and yes politics.That is the comparison I'm making of Oboma VS McCain. Hope you doing well. Take Care , Pro

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2008 Jun 08 20:47

beckonwood wrote:I just cannot vote for either person. I find them both unacceptable.
Sorry B'wood, but I find your conclusion to be positively weird. Both are good and mostly honorable men, with political philosophies and positions that differ so widely that I find it very easy to choose the one whose views are closer to mine.

Pro Bono wrote:Beckonwood Lets (sic) see how Oboma (sic) and McCain do when they sqaure (sic) off in debate. The good part is about to start. Yes, I'm voting for McCain. I just feel that Oboma (sic) doesn't have the experience ... expereinced (sic) staff ... I view the Presidency as a corperation. (sic)
Pro, I like your willingness to watch and learn from debates and campaigning yet to occur. However, I do find it weird that anybody could conclude that McCain offers the better way forward to an improved America, certainly before the debate has occurred and probably also afterwards. The government is not a corporation - it is ourselves speaking through our elected representatives to advance the public good. Corporations have smaller purposes, sometimes with goals that are contrary to the public good, requiring the government to reign in their worst excesses using the tools of law and regulation.

:typ: Typing away ... :typ:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Jun 10 09:17

Interesting how the mainstream media has managed to convince the vast majority of the voting public that the choices for president are limited to only two people......one Republican and one Democrat. It just isn't so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... es%2C_2008
http://votesmart.org/

It's high time we started making a break from the "two" party system.......Two that's really one appearing to be two.

:wink:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Sweetness 'n Light

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2008 Jun 11 17:45

I think maybe it is a real sick time in America when everybody is talking about voting for a negro terrorist muslim who might even be an illegal foreigner to the president of the whole country! I think maybe the liberals and all the communists really did take everything over and we are getting into real bad danger, huh? What is going on its ridiculous! I cant believe those crazy people are talking about vote for Barak Osama Hussain like he had any chance, its so crazy I sometimes maybe think that it is a nitemare and all I need is a pinch.

And I saw more of those illegal aileens had a big wreck cause they are dumb and don't know how to drive and are mostly running from the law all the time which they should, so I saw they turned over thier car and one of them got killed last week right here in Rockbridge county serves him right, huh?

I don't want to talk about it but I been having really big troubles over the driver license again and those criminals foreigners get to drive even though they kill themselves and maybe us too and I am worse than ever on the license with no license and now no car and they even took our truck but I don't want to talk about it cause I just got back from a really reallly bad place. Maybe I think sometimes its a good thing my husband keeps all his hunting stuff all locked up solid in that basement locker, huh, cause sometimes I can think of some things that would serve them right not that I would really do it.

So I don't know what to do but nobody cares anyway, but I can figure it all by myslef maybe, thank you very much so you just go on and be better than everybody as long as you want.

- Nobody gets anymore love and kisses from me cause you all treated me so mean, so there -

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Jun 25 08:50

Hello Obama.............Good-bye Fourth Amendment. Yes, everybody's darling golden boy flip-flopped and supported this outrageous measure.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/ ... index.html

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/ ... newsletter

:angry4:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jun 25 16:52

fangz1956 wrote:... everybody's darling golden boy flip-flopped and supported this outrageous measure.
This one also has me disappointed and angry. The Dems should have stonewalled this to the end. The "compromise" is a poor one and must be superseded by wholesale revocation of FISA and its bastard spawn.
:numc: It's time to repeal Bush's repeal of the Bill of Rights! :numc:

10thFO

Postby 10thFO » 2008 Jun 26 10:34

Well Pelosi declared what the underlying issue was. It's an election year, and she thought it could cost them at least 10 seats if not more if they blocked it. So that's what our entire system is about now, getting reelected. Not doing the right thing for your country. My how our politicians have fallen. Whatever happened to people doing the right thing for their constituents. It's not just a Republican thing folks. Once the bastards get elected they would sell their grandmothers grave plot for another election win.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jun 26 11:13

:tongue3: Amen :tongue3:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Jul 06 07:56

The more I read, the madder I get. Bush and the majority of Congress belong UNDER the jail!!

Juggler

With Friends Like These ...

Postby Juggler » 2008 Jul 14 18:22

With friends like these (the New Yorker Magazine)
who needs enemies?

notwaldo

Postby notwaldo » 2008 Jul 14 23:11

Can't see how laughing at all the nonsense perpetrated by corporate- and self-proclaimed journalists is the act of an enemy. (The New Yorker did run a terrific piece about Michelle a few months back.) The stuff is out there and no matter how teflon coated Obama may seem to his detractors, some of the garbage - "muslim" "radical" – has stuck with a lot of people. Just listen to some random conversations at Hardee's. I suspect "muslim" may be code for "Negro," and no birth certificate or school or church record is going to change that.
As for radical, his piece today in the Times calling for honoring the wishes of the Iraqi government and getting the hell out in an orderly fashion is hardly the work of a Taliban implant (or even a Black Panther). And his plan to hurl more American soldiers into Pakistan and Afghanistan hardly qualifies as radical. Rather, it qualifies as more of the same old "send the Marines" mentality that has generated ill will around the world and helped bankrupt our country.
Pakistan and Afghanistan present fine opportunities to enrich our military industrial complex while aiding our self-destruction. Nothing good has ever come from messing with those places. Ask the Russians. Ask the Brits. Ask the few Americans who remember that we armed and sided with the Taliban not so many years ago. We don't understand the people and the cultures. They're tribal and feudal (with or without cellphones). They are unconquerable.
What can we possibly hope to accomplish? Stabilize an area that has no interest in stability? Curb opium growing in an area whose people are perfectly happy growing poppies? Turn a bunch of caravan robbers into call center workers?
Or is it to capture Ossama? One has to wonder how much blood he is worth, Aside from symbolism, how much does he matter now? And why do we still think we can git him on our terms, with brute force? Intelligence (as in knowing the territory), brains, ingenuity, and patience might be worth a try (though none of things will do much for Haliburton).
I didn't see much ingenuity in Obama's op-ed. Instead I saw an politician who while eschewing the war in Iraq has embraced the whole idea of a potentially endless and ruinous full scale military "war on terror." Hardly the writings of a radical. Any self-respecting radical would at least raise a question. That he didn't should be more bothersome than any magazine cover.
Last edited by notwaldo on 2008 Jul 16 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2008 Jul 16 01:01

You convinced me. Well, almost.
notwaldo wrote:They're tribal and feudal
I will not cede to those upstart Taliban, the World Tribalism Championship presently held by the rednecks of West Virginia and Kentucky for voting against Obama because he is ("muslim" = black).
Last edited by Juggler on 2008 Jul 17 10:04, edited 2 times in total.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Jul 16 03:06

Juggler

Relativity

Postby Juggler » 2008 Jul 17 10:00

It's all relative.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Jul 20 16:23

on July 19, 2008, Salon's Glen Greenwald wrote:
Political harmony v. the rule of law: an easy choice for the political establishment

:angry4: :banghead:

Wise One

Accountability? Apparently, not any more...

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jul 20 17:32

Those are revealing, and discouraging, snippets about the status of accountability in public life.

I'm glad Harold Ford was defeated. The more I see of this guy, a person who seemed somewhat attractive initially, the sleazier he looks.

:rant: We have too many "pragmatists" of his ilk. :rant:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jul 21 00:22

I don't get it. What point are you seeking to make? Is this good or bad? Why?

You listed Clinton, but not Bush 41, so I don't understand where you're going on this.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Jul 21 18:21

This from Glenn Greenwald's column today.....the power elite rendering American public opinion irrelevant
It's pretty extraordinary that in a democracy, the political elite is able to render completely off-limits a view that the vast majority of Americans support. They actually render majority-held views unspeakable and then remove the issue entirely from what is debated.

It's well worth the time it takes to read. It really makes me wonder if we have been asleep for too long. How in the hell are we going to change this and begin to clean up the mess?

Return to “Archive of Retired Topics”