Who would you rather?

Wise One

Re: Who would you rather?

Postby Wise One » 2008 Nov 11 14:05

Uji wrote:If there'd been much gloating on this board, I'd understand your nasty tone, but I've not seen any.

Gee, that's an interesting point, Uji. As is usually the case around here, there is a remarkable air of civility and positivity, no gloating, among the Forum's participants.

A remarkably smart fellow pointed out to me that the Press, not only in America but around the world, were less restrained in their "morning after" editions. (Each thumbnail is clickable.)

It's as if America just got re-admitted to Planet Earth, after an absence of 8 years.

:biker:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Trend Setter

Postby Trend Setter » 2009 Jun 10 12:45

Bringing things down a bit to the local level, I have seen a note or two that our local elected officials, and potential competitors, may be gearing up for their next run at the polls.

I don't know a lot about this, but it seems to me I remember that the Rockbridge County Board of Supervisors just converted to staggered terms which means we'll have elections more frequently for some supervisor than before. Who's running this time around? When? What competitors for those seats have announced or are likely to announce?

And what's going on in Lexington? Are there any hot button issues that have debate raging in this sleepy sleepy town? I see that some folks on this Forum think our police have gone all crazy on us but I wonder how big an issue this is?

:hum: Inquiring minds want to know. :hum:

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2009 Jun 11 20:22

Well, here's what I just stumbled upon that seems to dovetail very nicely with your posting!

On June 10, 2009 The News-Gazette wrote:Let The Fall Races Begin

Glasgow Political Field Most Active As Filing Period For Election Ends

BY ED SMITH

Contested races will take place this fall for Glasgow mayor and Town Council, and there’s at least one contested race for a seat on the Rockbridge County Board of Supervisors.

Candidates who wanted to get their names on the ballot for the Nov. 3 local elections had until yesterday, Tuesday, June 9, at 7 p.m., to file the necessary paperwork with the voting registrars’ offices.

Long-time Glasgow Mayor Sam Blackburn is being challenged by two opponents, Paul W. Williams and Sarah Funkhouser.

Four candidates are vying for three seats on Glasgow Town Council. The four candidates who had filed by this newspaper’s press deadline late Tuesday afternoon are Roberta Blacke Lyle, Monica J. Dock, Boyd Walker and incumbent Ruby Ogden Clark.

The other two incumbent members of Town Council whose terms expire this year are Roger Bradley and Barbara Early.

In the election for the Walkers Creek seat on the Rockbridge County Board of Supervisors, incumbent A.W. “Buster” Lewis is being challenged by H.W. “Woody” Mumma.

Kerrs Creek Supervisor Rusty Ford is seeking reelection, as is Rockbridge County School Board member Sarah Jane Deacon of the South River District. Neither candidate had opposition, as of this newspaper’s deadline.

Teresa “Terry” Bsullak has filed to run for the Kerrs Creek seat on the county School Board currently occupied by Mitchell Shaner, who is apparently not running for reelection.

Buena Vista’s four constitutional officers who are up for reelection this year filed their candidacies and don’t face opposition. They are Commissioner of Revenue Mar Vista Flint, Treasurer Landy Boatwright, Sheriff Randy Hamilton and Commonwealth’s Attorney Chris Russell.

In Lexington, Treasurer Pat DeLaney and Commissioner of Revenue Karen Roundy qualified to run for re-election. Neither has opposition.

If any additional candidates stepped forward after this newspaper’s deadline, that information will be reported on the paper’s Web site today, and in next week’s print edition.

The local results from yesterday’s Democratic primary for governor and lieutenant governor will likewise be reported on the paper’s Web site and in next week’s print edition.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2009 Jun 13 09:00

This might turn out to be an interesting topic. I'm pretty happy with how the current Board of Supervisors is doing its job, but who knows? There might be interesting developments and controversies lurking here.

Two candidates have qualified for the election for Walkers Creek seat on the Rockbridge County Board of Supervisors. A.W. “Buster” Lewis, the incumbent, is being challenged by H.W. “Woody” Mumma.

H.W. "Woody" Mumma, March 2, 2009, before announcing to run, wrote:Editor, The News-Gazette: ...We feel the selection of Goshen for the Boy Scout jamboree site is not in the best interests of the people living in the Goshen area. ... We have lived here since 1990 and feel this is a slice of heaven but not when our environment is going to be ravaged by the large numbers of people traveling into the area. No thanks. We will sell our house and move.

That sounded great. But I just picked myself up from rolling on the floor over the stunningly laughable backpedaling below, the kind that seems always to flare up when a politician starts flapping his tongue before an election, parsing words oh-so-carefully to make both sides of a controversy think he is on their side.
H.W. "Woody" Mumma, today on his campaign web site, after announcing to run, wrote:He has previously expressed a desire to support and invite the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) to complete their “due diligence” to determine feasibility and impacts of establishing a national scout camp in Goshen. He strongly feels that if BSA and Rockbridge County work together in harmony, it may result in benefits to both parties.

:tongue3: Dunno his party (he's running as "independent"), but I'm guessing it begins with a letter that rhymes with "Arrrrrr."
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Neck-aint-red

Governor

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2009 Nov 04 09:28

Here's an interesting observation about the VA governor's race outcome:
There will be much number-crunching tomorrow, but preliminary numbers (at least in Virginia) show that GOP turnout remained the same as last year, but Democratic turnout collapsed. This is a base problem, and this is what Democrats better take from tonight:

1. If you abandon Democratic principles in a bid for unnecessary "bipartisanship", you will lose votes.

2. If you water down reform in favor of Blue Dogs and their corporate benefactors, you will lose votes.

3. If you forget why you were elected -- health care, financial services, energy policy and immigration reform -- you will lose votes.

Tonight proved conclusively that we're not going to turn out just because you have a (D) next to your name, or because Obama tells us to. We'll turn out if we feel it's worth our time and effort to vote, and we'll work hard to make sure others turn out if you inspire us with bold and decisive action.

The choice is yours. Give us a reason to vote for you, or we sit home. And you aren't going to make up the margins with conservative voters. They already know exactly who they're voting for, and it ain't you.

Amy Probenski

Election Results

Postby Amy Probenski » 2009 Nov 04 09:35

Sam

Postby Sam » 2009 Nov 04 12:21

Looks like the people have spoken via their vote.
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2009 Nov 05 12:01

Looks like the people have spoken via their vote.

I absolutely agree with that!

There seems to be a lot of disagreement and speculation over just exactly what they have spoken about by their vote.

The turnout was decidedly light. Those who did not vote also spoke. Whether they spoke of apathy, frustration, confusion or just plain laziness is also debatable. Clearly, some sort of message has been delivered.

The left says it's local politics. The right claims a national referrendum.

Regardless, the results of the elections need to be respected. If it's a conservative result...so be it. It would be refreshing, however, if the same respect would be afforded to the results of the 2008 election, the numbers of voters who spoke and the content of that message.

Coondog :coffee:

Sometimes, I get the impression that both the losers and winners in 2008 have lost focus on that message.

Uji

Postby Uji » 2009 Nov 06 09:58

Well said, Dog. I can't figure why it's a "mandate" when it goes one way and not the other.

But anyway, the vote was real interesting in VA. You got the NOVA crowd that went for O voting for Mac; then you've got the local folks voting in incumbents. If it's a "mandate", I sure couldn't tell you who or what for -- and there sure is no sense of "voter rebellion." I also find it interesting that the guv-elect abandoned the nonsense politics of his two Rep predecessors -- no equivalent of the disastrous "eliminate parole" or "repeal the car tax" platforms.

What happened in NY state was interesting too. The Rep gets mauled by a "conservative" candidate, throws her support to the Dem and the Dem wins. There's one confused "mandate" there, I'd say.

I'd say it's all encouraging -- even though my guy lost VA. Sounds like the Reps are sorting things out. And we need a real and constructive opposition party. This we're-agin-anything-you're-for party isn't of much use -- to themselves or the republic.

Anyway, maybe the election will bring some more folks to this discussion. It was a pretty mixed bag of opinions before the national election.