Miscellaneous or This and That

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.

Re: Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Wise One » 2011 Mar 31 21:38

You have your priorities straight, Sam. Take care of your family in this time of trial. The fools in Washington will have to wait.
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."
Wise One

Postby Coondog » 2011 Apr 01 12:27

Sorry to hear that, Sam.

I will keep positive thoughts in my head that all will turn out well for you and your family.

Best Wishes,

Coondog

To us, family means putting your arms around each other and being there.
~Barbara Bush
Coondog

Postby fangz1956 » 2011 Apr 01 16:43

Sorry for your family trials, Sam. Don't know how I'd be holding up if something like that happened to one of my own.

Holding you and yours in my thoughts and sending out all of the good karma that I can muster.

Maha Metta wrote:May the suffering be free from suffering,
May the fearstruck be free from fear,
May the grieving be free from grief.
So too, may all beings be,
From the highest realm of existence to the lowest.

May all beings arisen in these realms,
With form and without form,
With perception and without perception,
Be released from all suffering,
And attain to perfect peace.

:sigh:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?
fangz1956

Postby Sam » 2011 Apr 01 19:58

Hey Folks, I really appreciate the kind thoughts and words. As a father and husband I have tried to do the best for my family. This son is a good boy and has been a delight in my life. He is suffering and the doc has given him medication which is suppose to shrink the tumor. So far the side effects are as bad as the tumor. If the meds don't work then will do surgery. He has to work. He has his own business and a number of employees depending on him. His wife is doing all she can to help. We have the two kids until they can get back on their feet. I got to say these two little ones really keep my wife and I tired. We look forward to nap time and bed time. I just wory so about him.

Do appreciate the kind words though.
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists
Sam

Re: Miscellaneous or This and That

Postby Juggler » 2011 Jun 23 19:54

Juggler

This, That and the Other

Postby bookfan » 2011 Jul 20 21:36

I've recently come across a wonderful book called "This, That and the Other" by local authors Anne D. McClung and Laurie Lipscomb. I must admit I'm a sucker for any kind of poultry-based literature, but I just found this book to be truly delightful. Absolutely comb and wattle above over books in this genre. I'm curious to know if anyone else has read "This, That and the Other," and what you thought of it. Also, does anyone here on the forum know these people? I would love to send them a note.
bookfan

Postby fangz1956 » 2011 Aug 01 10:29

I couldn't find a more appropriate thread in which to post this. I just found it to be an interesting read and something different to think about for a bit.

The Confederate We Still Don't Know

:coffee:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?
fangz1956

Anarchists and Communists

Postby Crux » 2011 Aug 29 18:15

These elements are the STUFF of the left, not the RIGHT.

The tea party was here on this forum described recently as anarchistic... If you were unaware of the TRUTH or simply mistaken, here you go. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/wis-pro ... get-ready/ These are DEMOCRAT voters. Sorry...
crux identifies with Tea Party principles. Liberty. Smaller government. Lower taxes. Less spending.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense.
Crux

Postby Sam » 2011 Aug 31 18:48

I am fuming, I just heard on TV that illegal aliens are going to be treated like regular USA workers here in America. With unemployment rates up so high I can't believe this dang burn government is deciding that they just not be in fear of being deported -give me a break. Don't these people realize these illegal aliens are just that illegal.

Didn't know where to put this so used this section.
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists
Sam

Postby Wise One » 2011 Aug 31 21:59

When I saw that you were fuming over something you "heard on TV" I knew it had to be Fox-News, and sure enough there it was. I wanted to check more reliable sources to verify that it is true, since so much that appears on Fox is bold lie, but have not found it yet so don't even know if the story is bogus or legitimate.

I'm puzzled over your fury so please explain why you feel that immigrant laborers should not have the same workplace protections that other workers have? For example, which of the following abuses government now protects workers against, do you feel should be visited on persons living and working in the US because they lack full legal immigration status?

• Employers forcing the minor children of employees to work without pay?
  • Employers paying way below minimum wage and threatening to turn in anybody who complains?
  • Requiring employees to work without observing health and safety regulations?
  • In hazardous work, failing to provide legally required safety equipment such as protective eye-wear, helmets, gloves, face masks, etc.
  • Employers "docking" their employees for costs of items required by their work such as work gloves and protective breathing apparatus?
  • Deducting social security from employee wages and then pocketing the money rather than remitting to the government?
  • Forcing workers to work 72 hour weeks without paying overtime required by law?
  • Holding workers locked up as prisoners without pay so that they become slave laborers?
  • Sexually harrassing or raping an employee?
  • Beating and torturing employees?
You perceive our immigration system to be bad. Is the remedy allowing unscrupulous employers to subject immigrants to abuses that we would not tolerate for anybody else? Or would the better remedy be to improve immigration law and its enforcement?

My view is clear. We cannot confuse immigration policy with workplace policy. Humane worker protections are available to all workers under the law. Immigration law must be separately enforced and there is never an excuse for employers to steal from, exploit, harm, assault, degrade, imprison, or torture their employees – for any reason.

Wise One

A school of red herrings aside...

Postby Crux » 2011 Sep 01 16:16

....here is the story you could not find....
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/labor-d ... es-us-jobs

...with a relevant excerpt:

The Labor Department’s determination to make U.S. employers treat illegal aliens taking jobs in the United States as if they were U.S citizens or legal immigrants seems to contradict the Immigration and Nationality Act. That act says “employers may hire only persons who may legally work in the United States (i.e., citizens and nationals of the U.S.) and aliens authorized to work in the U.S.” and that the U.S. government “protects U.S. citizens and aliens authorized to accept employment in the U.S. from discrimination in hiring or discharge on the basis of national origin and citizenship status.”

This is par for the BO Presidency, to ignore the law versus uphold the law it does not agree with?

crux

OK, let's not just GLOSS over your poor logic and argumentation... You are a JERK.

This is the kind of so-called WISDOM you put forth? "Holding workers locked up as prisoners without pay so that they become slave laborers...Sexually harrassing or raping an employee...Beating and torturing employees"

I will say it again. JERK.
You think yourself smart and clever when you type such CRAP... :coffee:

crux

This is how the Arrogant One puts forth his TRUTH. :clap: Pathetic. Just today the job numbers for August are out with ZERO new jobs having been created AND the June & July numbers have been DOWNGRADED...
crux identifies with Tea Party principles. Liberty. Smaller government. Lower taxes. Less spending.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense.
Crux

Italians

Postby Juggler » 2012 Feb 03 11:17

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2012 Feb 09 11:37

Want perspective? This should do it!

(click "start" and then move slider left to zoom in, right to zoom out)
Juggler

Postby Wise One » 2012 Feb 27 09:13

Wise One

Fun Language Quiz

Postby Juggler » 2012 Mar 02 23:47

What Kind of American English do You Speak?

PS. I was born and raised in Lexington. My results were:
You Speak General American English!
65% General American English
20% Yankee
10% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern
Juggler

Postby fangz1956 » 2012 Mar 03 08:12

:laughing: :laughing:

Now that was fun!!! I speak General American English, too....but apparently with some kind of a twist. Not bad for somebody that was born and raised in the hollers of Roanoke County.

50% General American English
30% Dixie
15% Yankee
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

Yep.....I know exactly where that 15% Yankee comes from. :wink2:
fangz1956

Obama the lightweight...

Postby Crux » 2012 Mar 25 10:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erYpXzE9 ... r_embedded

...is too often praised for his intellect and speaking ability.

Check out this humorous Danish news piece on Dear President.

Too funny!
Crux

Postby Wise One » 2012 Mar 25 13:16

A very funny edited sequence!
I appreciate good humor and everybody deserves a poke for hackneyed repetition.
But then who among us is free of such speech tics?

Wise One

BO is Hackneyed?

Postby Crux » 2012 Mar 25 18:43

The Leader of the Free World. The most powerful man in America. The Commander in Chief. Pathetic...

This isn't humorous it's sad.
Crux

Postby Juggler » 2013 Jan 22 22:00

How to Pet a Dog and a Cat
(Please click on the image to see the whole thing.)

howtopetdogcat.png
howtopetdogcat.png (119.28 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Juggler

PreviousNext

Return to MAIN FORUM