When I saw that you were fuming over something you "heard on TV" I knew it had to be Fox-News, and sure enough there it was
. I wanted to check more reliable sources to verify that it is true, since so much that appears on Fox is bold lie, but have not found it yet so don't even know if the story is bogus or legitimate.
I'm puzzled over your fury so please explain why you feel that immigrant laborers should not have the same workplace protections that other workers have? For example, which of the following abuses government now protects workers against, do you feel should be visited on persons living and working in the US because they lack full legal immigration status?
- Employers forcing the minor children of employees to work without pay?
- Employers paying way below minimum wage and threatening to turn in anybody who complains?
- Requiring employees to work without observing health and safety regulations?
- In hazardous work, failing to provide legally required safety equipment such as protective eye-wear, helmets, gloves, face masks, etc.
- Employers "docking" their employees for costs of items required by their work such as work gloves and protective breathing apparatus?
- Deducting social security from employee wages and then pocketing the money rather than remitting to the government?
- Forcing workers to work 72 hour weeks without paying overtime required by law?
- Holding workers locked up as prisoners without pay so that they become slave laborers?
- Sexually harrassing or raping an employee?
- Beating and torturing employees?
You perceive our immigration system to be bad. Is the remedy allowing unscrupulous employers to subject immigrants to abuses that we would not tolerate for anybody else? Or would the better remedy be to improve immigration law and its enforcement?
My view is clear. We cannot confuse immigration policy with workplace policy. Humane worker protections are available to all
workers under the law. Immigration law must be separately enforced and there is never
an excuse for employers to steal from, exploit, harm, assault, degrade, imprison, or torture their employees – for any