vmi needs to pay there employeers more lowest in the state.

(Locked, Read-only) Deleted old/stale topics are retained here for viewing. You may request reinstatement of topics here, for movement again into the active MAIN FORUM.

vmi needs to pay there employeers more lowest in the state.

Postby cola24450 » 2010 Aug 21 11:25

i am here for all the people who works at vmi. we are the lowest paid state college in va by 3 to 5 bucks a hr. they say dont have any money but spending millions in construction. we are treated like animals there. the employees are not military but qwe are treated like we are . general peavy makes 325 thousand a yr wow and he lives 100 yds from smith building and he drives to the smith building and he is a good leader not. its also has been siad if we dont like what we make you can quit wow how would they like to make 8 bucks a hr for 5 yrs of service or 36 yrs of service and make 10 . 40 per hr pitiful. we make less than fast food workers thats sad and everybody thinks vmi is so great well to all you people who thinks that work for them u will find out to the public greAT evrything looks good but behind doors we are treathed like animals. its time for the physcial plant employees to go on strike. someone help us out please.
cola24450

Re: vmi needs to pay there employeers more lowest in the state.

Postby Coondog » 2010 Aug 21 19:06

I'm reminded of a time several years ago when I was listening to the radio and there was a story about storm water run off and how all the rain water from VMI went into the sewer system which overwhelmed the sewerage treatment plant. It was going to cost about $180,000 to remediate the problem, but VMI just didn't have the money.

Two minutes later, on the same news broadcast, they announced that the VMI foundation had just raised over 4 million dollars.

Need I say more?

:hammer: Coondog

Then again, in this economy, eight bucks an hour doesn't sound bad, given the alternative.
Coondog

Postby fangz1956 » 2010 Aug 22 05:22

$8-$10 an hour for that kind of service (number of years) is a moral outrage. My 25 year old son makes more than that detailing trucks...and he's only been on the job 3 years.

One cannot raise a family and provide even close to the basics of a semi-comfortable life on that kind of pay. if anybody thinks it can be done in this economy......I challenge them to try it for a year.

Maybe the employees should strike.......if the good and highly educated elite of Lexington won't move to change it for the better.

:confused:

P.S. I sent an e-mail containing a copy of the original post to Senator Mark Warner. I think Sen. Webb is a lost cause......he doesn't respond to ANY mail.
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?
fangz1956

Postby Wise One » 2010 Aug 22 16:21

This is a really interesting issue and I wish the originator of this thread success in raising the bottom end of the wage scale at VMI.

Increasingly, universities are adopting compensation policies that recognize the concept of a "living wage", a floor that is set at substantially higher levels than they could get away by offering the very least to get employees. It recognizes an obligation to compensate employees at a level that provides at least minimally adequate income for living in our society.

Reference 1
Reference 2
Reference 3
Reference 4
Reference 5

VMI should get on board.
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."
Wise One

Postby cola24450 » 2010 Aug 23 11:11

does anyone know how to email my complaint to the the local news stations. this might help us out if the word gets out. thanks vmi employees whos familes are struggling to pay there bills and buy groceries.
cola24450

Postby fangz1956 » 2010 Aug 23 19:06

Channel 10 news@wsls.com <news@wsls.com>

Channel 7 news@wdbj7.com <news@wdbj7.com>

Channel 13 No e-mail address available on their website. So, here's the phone and fax numbers:
By Phone
Main Number: (434) 528-1313
News Department: (800) NEWS-TIP
(800) 639-7847
Weather to Go: (434) 455-5111

By Fax
Main Fax: (434) 847-0458
Sales Fax: (434) 847-0458
News Fax: (434) 847-8800

Newspapers:

Letters to the Editor-Roanoke Times letters@roanoke.com <letters@roanoke.com>

Another excellent news source likely to be of tremendous help in getting the word out in Lexington/Rockbridge County(and other places near and far) is The Advocate. Contact info is:

rbadvocate@embarqmail.com

Hope this helps. We are on your side!

:thumbup:

All three of these local stations also have contacts/pages on Twitter and Facebook.
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?
fangz1956

Postby cola24450 » 2010 Aug 24 11:17

thanks everybody there is alot of caring people in the rockbridge area. :beer:
cola24450

Postby fangz1956 » 2010 Sep 08 14:16

What's the latest scoop here? I read a snippet in The Advocate which said:

After this posting, VMI advertised for housekeeping workers: $7.75 an hour, no benefits.

I am curious. Did people lose their jobs attempting to go public? What is VMI's rationale behind such low pay coupled with no benefits? Cashiers at Sheetz earn more than that.....as do some burger flippers I know.

:hum:
fangz1956

Postby cola24450 » 2010 Sep 09 11:07

fangz1956 wrote:What's the latest scoop here? I read a snippet in The Advocate which said:

After this posting, VMI advertised for housekeeping workers: $7.75 an hour, no benefits.

I am curious. Did people lose their jobs attempting to go public? What is VMI's rationale behind such low pay coupled with no benefits? Cashiers at Sheetz earn more than that.....as do some burger flippers I know.

:hum:
hello nobody has lost there jobs because they are to scared to say anything about this if they did im sure they would find a reason to get rid of the whistle blowers. sucks.... that place is a big joke we just got our monthly letter from peavy and with threre 16 million bucks in dontations university is in finacial good shape. thenyoue \employees more money. let u all know when i get more news from the cheapest college in town. ialso called doug fronm the advocate hope he prints something up. i couldnt send no emails to news channels wouldnt work for some reason.
cola24450

Postby fangz1956 » 2010 Sep 09 13:24

if you wish, you can send your e-mail to me and I will definitely get it off to the news stations for you.

My personal e-mail is fangz1956@comcast.net. I'll be happy to help you get the word out.

:wink2:
fangz1956

Postby cola24450 » 2010 Sep 10 11:11

update on vmi doea anybody remember christian hoffman asst ad at vmi the guy whowas breaking into washington and lee houses and stealing there underwear and vmi let heim go well hes back. was in the press box at vmi football sat they hired him back as contractor making more money then what he was. hes pleaded guilty last week to 2 felonies and other charges no jail time sent him to shrink. my point is who in there right mind would let this proven pervert back on there campus. before you are hired at vmi you can have no felonies whats wrong with this picture. the vmi parents should be out raged. untillnext time on our cheapest college in town have a good weekend. :hello2:
cola24450

Postby CrazyCelt » 2010 Sep 30 08:43

I do believe that pay is commensurate with experience. If you want a higher paying job go to school and get a degree.
CrazyCelt

Postby Amy Probenski » 2010 Sep 30 09:32

Yeah!

Let them eat cake.

Screw the wife and children.

Are there no divorce courts? Are there no orphanages?

Paying a living wage might cut into those $340,000 salaries. I will simply not associate with people who would accept less than that. Nor care about them.
Amy Probenski

Postby Glendale » 2010 Sep 30 11:15

I agree with the Celt.
Certainly a B&G worker with 15 years experience at VMI has no businesses making a penny more than a college student with a dishwashing job at Macados.
The working poor ought to be grateful to have a chance to support the deserving rich.
Glendale

Postby fangz1956 » 2010 Sep 30 13:31

Since when does "degree" = experience? The two are NOT synonymous. A degree is not worth the paper it is written on when employers are seeking EXPERIENCED workers. A degree does not bestow instantaneous "work experience".....it's a flipping piece of paper showing that the holder can regurgitate facts and nothing more.

I'll take somebody with 15 years of solid work experience against an inexperienced degree holder any day of the week.

:2cent:
fangz1956

Postby cola24450 » 2010 Oct 01 11:02

this is to crazycelt you must be one of the overpaid employee at vmi who sits on there ahole all day and tell everybody how great that college is. you can have 20 degrees and vmi is still lowest paid in the state. or maybe you area person who gradauated from that shithole who thinks the world owes you something. from all the employees low class workers as you think we are u can kiss our lol.
cola24450

Postby ParkerLongbaugh » 2010 Oct 08 10:06

There aren't "$340k salaries" at VMI - there is one $340k salary and that is General Peay. The next highest salary is $140k less, and all of the rest for the entire school are less than half of that top amount. I'm not saying the salary structures are right (they very clearly aren't), but the real numbers are important to keep in mind. The salaries are easy to find online- anyone can look them up and see for themselves. :typ:

There are three sections of VMI that get paid very well- the administration in Smith Hall, the athletics folks and the academics folks. That's it- all the rest are way below the state's average for what they do. Housekeepers, support staff, etc are all usually 30% or more below the average of both public and private jobs. Nobody is saying a housekeeper should make what the senior administration makes- but a VMI housekeeper who makes way less than anywhere else's housekeeper certainly shows a mentality of the school that is sad.

It is frustrating to see announcements of new projects or large fund donations and then look around at the folks who keep the school running being treated this way. VMI has the money to do the right thing- but its spent on other priorities. :sad:
ParkerLongbaugh

Top Ten VMI Salaries

Postby Trend Setter » 2010 Oct 18 10:40

Name Department Salary
J.H. Binford III Peay Superintendent $340,000
Robert L Green Finance, Admin/Support $200,496
Walter L Chalkley Superintendent $149,770
Gary R Knick Finance, Admin/Support $143,184
Robert L Mcdonald Academics $137,507
Donald T White Athletics $137,018
Robert F Baucom Basketball $124,800
Floyd H Duncan Economics/Business $123,400