Scout Jamboree Center in Goshen

(Locked, Read-only) Deleted old/stale topics are retained here for viewing. You may request reinstatement of topics here, for movement again into the active MAIN FORUM.

Re: Scout Jamboree Center in Goshen

Postby Coondog » 2009 Jun 04 19:44

Wanna buy a genuine unauthorized hand painted "Wise One Save Goshen Pass" bobble head?

All proceeds go somewhere............

Coondog :razz:
Coondog

Postby Wise One » 2009 Jun 04 21:35

Now we're onto something I can support.

My late Uncle was forced to retire as Nigerian Minister of the Exchequer. He left me a magnificent sum of money. Regrettably, that money is tied up temporarily in bureaucratic red tape.

So send the proceeds of those bobble heads on to me ASAP and I promise to return it with 300% interest. In fact, send me all your disposable income ... I guarantee to provide investment quality every bit as good as that available on both the New York Stock Exchange and the real estate market.

:tongue3:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."
Wise One

Postby fangz1956 » 2009 Jun 06 09:13

WO.....

That windfall or the 300% interest for the bobble heads is just the ticket to bail out Coondog's hemorrhaging 401k. If GM qualifies for a bailout, then Coondogs do, too.

:grin:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?
fangz1956

Postby Wise One » 2009 Jun 18 08:38

Dr. Whelan has a dynamite letter in a local paper, unfortunately with an incorrect web link. I found the correct one (read it!!) and would like to contact him but, like so many doctors, he has no publicly available email address. If anybody knows how to contact him electronically, let me know. He's right, the Scouts have a truly awful environmental record and this is an excellent compilation of truth rather than slick public relations snake oil.
JOSEPH G. WHELAN III, MD, on June 10, 2009 wrote:News Report Sheds Negative Light On BSA
Editor, The News-Gazette:

Do you care for the future well-being of the Maury River and Goshen Pass area? Please prove this by taking 15 minutes to review some excellent investigative journalism to inject a dose of reality into the question of allowing the BSA to conduct a quarter million person “jamboree” at the beautiful and ecologically fragile headwaters of the Maury River? Every concerned citizen regarding this matter should go to the Web site and read for themselves what kind of neighbor is inviting itself into our community.

This investigative report, written by Lewis Kamb for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in Jan ’09, is not only a superbly researched review of the BSA logging practice history, it is a crystal ball to let readers know what kind of neighbor the BSA is likely to be should they move their headquarters here.

In my 45 years of living, I have learned (at least) one thing about human nature — “actions speak louder than words.” BSA claims to teach a practice of “Leave No Trace” regarding wildlife interactions. Ha! Read the story. Read how BSA timbering practices have been criticized by their local neighbors in the states of Washington, Oregon, California, Georgia, New York, Montana, Pennsylvania and New Mexico.

Read about the BSA breaking state timbering rules, ignoring unstable waterside slopes before logging, discharging sediment into the waterways and endangering salmon, failing to maintain roads, damaging sensitive streams, building unauthorized roads through protected areas, improperly operating a summer dam that killed endangered steelhead fish, failing to conduct required endangered species surveys in proposed timber harvest areas, and breaking laws in maintaining sufficient tree buffer distances between timber harvest areas and nearby waterways.

And finally a word for Jack Furst, the slick BSA executive board member who on so many occasions has “welcomed” input about the subject at hand from our community. In response to how he felt about jamboree opposition voiced at a recent public forum, Mr. Furst was quoted by WSLS News as saying, “I think there is a very well organized vocal group that clearly opposes this. I think history indicates this group tends to oppose just about everything.”

Is that Mr. Furst’s idea on how to be a good neighbor? With all due respect, I have some advice for him on how to be a good neighbor: When your neighbor offers an opinion that is different from your own, you don’t immediately denigrate him or her by belittling their motives and thought process. Is this the kind of neighbor we want? Not me. Not anywhere.

Stoneridge Timber Farm, Rockbridge County
Wise One

Whew! That was a close one

Postby Wise One » 2009 Aug 05 11:54

We may have dodged a bullet! Evidently the Boy Scouts find it intolerably pesky to deal with us because we don't want our forest flattened and the Maury River polluted.

West Virginia on the other hand, with its tradition of ripping open and leveling whole mountains, dumping polluted materials into streams, corrupt judges taking money for rulings favorable to mining companies, looks wonderfully attractive to the Boy Scouts.

The BSA organization and its management are slimeballs. Good riddance.

On July 29, 2009 The News-Gazette wrote:Boy Scouts No Longer Looking At Goshen

The Boy Scouts of America announced Tuesday that it has determined that its proposed site in Goshen for the National Scouting Center, which includes the 2013 national Scout jamboree, is being withdrawn from consideration due to the significant restrictions on land utilization.

For the past few months, the BSA has been studying the challenges around land use and what would be needed to prepare the site to host a number of activities, including a national summer camp, quadrennial jamboree, and other programs. The site is currently owned by the National Capital Area Council of the Boy Scouts.

“The Goshen site is a remarkable piece of property, and although we believe we can solve the technical issues to make it work, it’s simply too restrictive from a land utilization perspective to do what we need to do for the amount of investment that would be required,” said Jack Furst, national chairman and lead volunteer for the National Scouting Center.

“We said all along that we needed to study the issues, and we’re appreciative of those in Rockbridge County who supported our efforts as we went through this process,” he added.

In February, the BSA announced that after an extensive 18-month process, it had selected sites in Virginia and West Virginia to explore the vision of a National Scouting Center. This announcement allowed the BSA to proceed with investigation and negotiations in those states to explore the issue further. The plans called for a permanent home for the national jamboree in Goshen and the new high-adventure base in Fayette and Raleigh counties, W.Va.

The organization recently signed an agreement to purchase 10,600 acres, some of it reclaimed mining property, near Beckley, W. Va., and announced that it would develop a new high- adventure base to complement its existing three bases in Minnesota, New Mexico, and Florida. The BSA expects to close on the property later this fall.

“In light of our recent decision concerning the Goshen site, we’ll be looking to see if the West Virginia property can support a jamboree, but we have a lot of work to do there before we can make that determination,” Furst explained.

For more on this story, see this week’s issue of The News-Gazette.
Wise One

Postby rivermasternc » 2009 Dec 09 14:59

Rockbridge County, VA $0 + 0 jobs
Fayette County, WV $300,000,000 + 1,280 jobs

You sure did dodge the bullet on this one! Great job!

http://wvgazette.com/News/200911180463
rivermasternc

Postby Wise One » 2009 Dec 09 15:49

I admire the touch or irony that your note communicates, even if I can't agree that "jobs" are the sole measure of value for a proposed project.

I'm familiar with the New River Gorge, having done several whitewater rafting trips down it and visiting much of the area. This is the country's oldest river river geologically, is unusual in flowing northward, and sports some of the most beautiful river environmental features to be found.

It will be a tragedy if the Boy Scouts actual performance witnessed here in Rockbridge County, and the actual performance of West Virginia in tolerating environmental abuse by mining companies, repeats itself again in the watershed of the New River.

I earnestly hope that both government and citizens groups will watchdog this development every step of the way, aggressively protecting the natural features that are now under threat.

There are jobs in environmental protection also. Perhaps they are better and more durable than the low level temporary jobs associated with the
BSA development ... our environment is under perpetual threat by developments like these.

:police:
Wise One

Postby fangz1956 » 2009 Dec 09 16:21

Hmmmm.........of the proposed 1,280 jobs, only 80 of those are permanent. The other 1,200 are seasonal and would most likely be minimum wage jobs providing no long term benefits to employees and no long term benefit to West Virginia. The $300,000,000 figure is not carved in stone, either. The article states "up to $300,000,000". That kind of leaves lots of room for pipe dreams and counting chickens before they hatch.

:hmm:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?
fangz1956

Postby rivermasternc » 2009 Dec 09 17:23

And the VA Employment Security Commission has one environmental related job (an experienced/tenured faculty position at VMI) and no major announcements of any private organizations making any investments in capital or employment. How are these weak arguments working for the majority of your citizens that aren't looking over their acreage and pontificating?
rivermasternc

Postscript: Scouts fail to do their Duty

Postby Trend Setter » 2010 Sep 07 12:49

Roanoke Times on September 7, 2010 wrote:Editorial: Scouts' duty

The group built the dam to make a lake. It should make it safe.

Somebody has to fix the dam.

We wonder, as many surely do in these hard times, why the federal government is on the hook to make the privately owned Goshen Dam safe. Yet such has been the case for almost 15 years.

An apparent favor by Northern Virginia's congressional delegation to the region's Boy Scout council was supposed to pay for repairs and an upgrade of the "high hazard" dam. Instead, the people along the Maury River in Rockbridge County are caught in a dangerous Catch-22.

The Scouts need to help get them out before the waters rise and the dam breaks. Seriously. The Army Corps of Engineers has found that it's at risk of failure in the event of a 200-year flood.

The Boy Scouts built the earthen dam 44 years ago on the Little Cowpasture River, upstream from the houses and cabins along the Maury, to create Lake Merriweather at the Goshen Scout Reservation. The whole spread -- land, lake and dam -- is owned by the National Capital Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America.

Back in 1996, Northern Virginia's congressional delegation reportedly got the dam put on a list of dams to be upgraded using federal funds. Over the years, Congress also appropriated money for the project. Just never enough at one time to get the job done.

So the Corps of Engineers used some of it here and there to work on dams it gave a higher priority -- dams the government actually owns.

The Boy Scouts council, meanwhile, pleads insufficient funds and waits for the government to come through. As the owner, though, it has a moral obligation to act to assure the safety of residents below the hazard it created.

A little more than $2 million remains of a total $5.7 million in federal money appropriated for a fix the corps said it could do for $5 million back in 2006. The Scouts should raise the money needed to get the job done.

This scuzzy group promises the sky, sticks out its hands for tax exemptions, overpays its executives with astronomical salaries, fails to tend its own dam, and then turns to Uncle Sam to cover its ass. That's some example for America's youth these sleazeballs are setting!

Count your luck stars they didn't get away with their grandiose Goshen plans. :thumdwn:
Trend Setter

Postby Kazooty » 2011 Jan 06 12:46

I see nothing has been posted in quite some time about the BSA's plans for the Goshen (NOT Goshen Pass) Scout Camps. Due the actions of a few short sited individuals, there will be no upgrade of the Lake Merriweather Dam, no state-of-the-art waste water treatment plant, no road improvements in Brattons Run ( Got run off the road again by a GD logging truck again) and the millions in potential investment and tourist dollars will NOT flow into Rockbridge County. Like it or not, this is the truth.

The wacky, misguided campaign to convince the public that the scouts were going to take over the Goshen Pass has backfired, in my opinion, since development and infrastructure improvements continue to allude the county. On the other hand, Fayette and Raleigh Countries in West Virginia are celebrating the BSA's presence in their areas since the project has pumped over $20 million in contracts to local firms, creating 600 jobs and by 2013 will inject another $30 million into personal income. You don't have to believe me. Read about it in the December 27, 2010 issue of the Charleston Daily Mail.

Maybe it's time to put this subject to bed, but we seem to have this anti-development sentiment in the area and it has to change. The NIMBYs and BANANAs have to go.
Kazooty

Postby Trend Setter » 2011 Jan 06 14:40

I notice that Fayette County straddles the New River, one of the last wild and free-running rivers in America. It has iconic status as the geologically oldest river in the East. It's fantastic, as I can attest personally from having rafted through parts that included the New River Gorge.

Can you tell us the exact location of the proposed Boy Scout development? Do they propose building a dam? Will it be on the New River?

I cannot imagine approval being granted for such an obscenely destructive action, so please tell us that any dam will be built on a minor tributary or spring far removed from the New River itself.
Trend Setter

Postby Kazooty » 2011 Aug 08 18:38

There you go, ,like so many others, planting rumors and lies. There is no plan to build a dam on the New River or in the New River Gorge. The BSA has won awards for its plannimg and development of the 10,000 acre site and has been acclaimed for its stewardship of the land and it role in revitalizing an otherwise depressed area. Millions of dollars in construction contracts have been let not to mention the millions of dollars worth of new construction going on in Beckley, Saint Hope and Glen Jean WV for retail space and hotels due to the coming of the Scouts and the International World Scout Jamboree in 2019. It could have been here. Recently the Order of the Arrow, A BSA Honor Camping Society conducted a service project in the NRG making it the largest conservation project in the National Parks History, and received National recognition for doing so. I suggest you and all the other naysayers get your head out of the sand. You can start by reading this:

http://www.nrgrda.org/news/2011/02/08/p ... e-massive/

You could also read this: http://www.scouting.org/Media/PressRele ... 10627.aspx
Kazooty

Postby Trend Setter » 2011 Aug 08 20:35

I asked a simple question and you charge "planting rumors and lies," so you seem a bristly sort and a full-bore pro-development cheerleader. I see lots of hyperbole and skewed language in the items referenced, developers always referring to the land they covet for profit as "depressed," pretending to be its saviors rather than its exploiters.

While there is no dam planned in the Gorge itself, the very large development is to be immediately adjacent to the parkland and quite close to the river, even specifying river access.

You have convinced me a hundred times over that we are SO fortunate to have dodged this bullet here in Rockbridge.
Trend Setter

Previous

Return to Archive of Retired Topics