BANG !

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Pro Bono

Re: BANG !

Postby Pro Bono » 2007 Dec 27 02:14

Franz1956, Brilliant ! I have kinda have taken a back seat on this subject until March and the litagation with the Supremes. And ,then hold my beath until June for the ruling. Loved your letter. My compliments ! Pro

paxham

Postby paxham » 2007 Dec 27 10:04

Late on the draw here. Oooh, another poor choice of words. Again I must skip to the chase.

Let's just say the 2nd amendment does guarantee the right of gun ownership, which is likely given early American suspicion of central government, just how far does that extend? Standard weaponry in 1790 consisted mainly of muskets which could be fired once or twice a minute. The average citizen did not own a canon or even a pistol. Today the 2nd amendment is used to justify ownership of automatic weapons, which by the way are great for hunting, armor piercing bullets, plastic guns and the unbridled sale of weapons at gun shows. Should I choose to kill someone, or more likely should someone choose to kill me, they need go no farther than the local gun show and pick up the weapon of their choice. For this reason I tend to limit my comments on blogs and remain in a undisclosed location. By the way Dick (Cheney) says hi, but he makes me nervous everytime he picks up his AK47.

Oh, one more thing, are Surface to Air Missiles (SAMs) covered by the 2nd Amendment? How about rocket propelled grenades? I think you could take out a whole covey of quail with one of those suckers.

paxham

Loose Canons

Postby paxham » 2007 Dec 27 11:28

Beckwood,

I enjoyed your post. Richmond is swarming with dangerously mentally ill wandering the streets. The difficult thing is many truly deranged people don't necessarily appear so and mix freely with the population of homeless and drifters. There's no way to tell if the next panhandler who approaches just needs a couple buck for alcohal or if he thinks you (or he) are Satan and there is very little help available from the police unless someone is acting demonstrably insane.

Recently a mentally disabled woman was walking her dog in broad daylight on the busiest street in town. A recently released inmate with a long history of violence and mental illness decided the costume jewelry she was wearing was worth something and stabbed her to death. It is a moment that has changed my life forever. People shouldn't have to die for things to change, but they usually do.

Nothing about guns or the 2nd Amendment here, but safety doesn't come from guns. It comes from common sense, community involvement and watching thy neigbor's back.

RubyRed

Postby RubyRed » 2007 Dec 27 19:45

I personally am not a gun buff and actually hate them, however, my husband owns guns (and lots of them) although he keeps them at his friends house because I do not want them at our house because of our 13 year old son. They do hunt and my husband has made sure my son is knowledgeable about safety. My son took and passed the hunter's safety course. Anyway, the reason I am posting here is to say that even at gun shows, people purchasing guns must wait until the check that they run goes through to make sure the purchaser is legally able to purchase the weapon. As the above person wrote, a person can kill someone in a lot of other means (stabbing or other). My husband has a little sign that reads "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" and this is completely true. The people in gangs and stuff do not normally go the legal route to obtain the weapons that they use and no matter what Congress does or does not pass, these people will always find a way to access what they want.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2007 Dec 30 12:59

RubyRed wrote:my husband owns guns (and lots of them) although he keeps them at his friends house because I do not want them at our house because of our 13 year old son. They do hunt and my husband has made sure my son is knowledgeable about safety.
RubyRed, you're wonderfully wise to keep guns out of a house with children, for public health reasons cited in my prior messages. Safety is good. Who could oppose every effort at it?

RubyRed wrote:a person can kill someone in a lot of other means (stabbing or other). My husband has a little sign that reads "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" and this is completely true. The people in gangs and stuff do not normally go the legal route to obtain the weapons that they use and no matter what Congress does or does not pass, these people will always find a way to access what they want.
This thought, while true, is nearly irrelevant. Most gun deaths have nothing to do with gangs and criminals. Most are among family members and friends, as my remarks concerning the public health consequences of guns have stressed. Yes, knives can kill but they are used less frequently and, when used, they kill much less frequently. For example, the VaTech slayer was neither a criminal nor a gang member; had he used knives, the toll would have been much less before he was stopped.
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2007 Dec 30 20:29

http://www.roanoke.com/politics/wb/143971

YES!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping and praying that the Old Dominion would not let us down.

"dance13" "dance13" "dance13" "dance13" "dance13"
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2007 Dec 30 21:03

NO !!!!!!!!!! :rant: The Old Dominion has let us down. Well, so far, anyway.

This is the curious outcome you get when an elected Attorney General can be of a different party from the Governor. Virginia is one of the few places where this can happen - usually the attorney general is appointed by the governor.

The State of Virginia should champion reasonable regulation of firearms to protect public health and safety. The Governor should quash this action by the A.G., if it is within his power to do so.

The Second Amendment really says what it says ... that states can have their well-regulated militias. It does not protect an individual right to own dangerous stuff without limit - to blast friends, family, and strangers to kingdom come.

I can only hope that the Supreme Court will rule exactly as it did the last time it considered this question, but with Bush's newly appointed cockamamie ideologues, activist judges, the outcome is in doubt.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2007 Dec 30 22:51

Wise One.....

I agree with you on lots of issues......this just isn't one of them. And let's give credit where credit is due. The AG was elected BY THE PEOPLE of the Commonwealth. I'll take that over a political appointee any day.

BTW: Bush et. al don't count as elected as they rigged and stole the last two elections.

:2cent:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Wise One

BANG !

Postby Wise One » 2008 Feb 15 14:26

And on it goes.

Europeans have the same proportion of disturbed people in the population as we do. Yet the number of gun deaths, and incidents like this one that happen with increasing frequency in the US, is vastly lower.

The difference, plain and simple, is the number of guns in broad circulation. This is a public health problem that will be cured when the infectious agents, guns, are controlled. No amount of moralizing, or hand wringing, or pious after-death "prayers" from George W. Bush, will do a damn bit of good.

:cry: RIP, Northern Illinois dead. Many more will be joining you in the future as a result of phony 2nd amendment "rights." :cry:

10thFO

Postby 10thFO » 2008 Feb 15 15:31

I'm am truly sorry for what happened at NIU. As I was at Va. Tech. I don't think the constitution has a damn thing to do with this. I think our healtcare system, especially in regards to mental health.

Do you know that for a veteran coming back from Afghanistan or Iraq, it is taking them upwards of 8 months to get in to see a Dr. much less a mental health provider. Even one who is in the system and feels the need to change their meds because they are not interacting with them right, will have to wait at least two to three months to be reseen by their DR>

Guns are the easy target when these tragedies hit, but we need to be looking into the mental health issues in this country. Veteran or non Veteran related.

To many misdiagnosis, or problems with relating what could happen if these people quit taking their medications. That is the worst thing one could do is stop taking it cold turkey.

Once again, I'm sorry for those children killed or injured. I have a big problem with Mental Health Care in this country. And anyone looking for gov't healtcare plans, should go look at the VA system now. We cannot run a healthcare system.

Veterans are being turned down for jobs because of the stigma of possibly having PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, yet our gov't can't seem to find a way to get them help within a year of returning. Something is very wrong here.

Don't care about stances on the war, I'm speaking of the damages of those coming home. Also of the Vietnam guys who are getting hit now, because they are retiring, and all that work they did for the last 30 years to hide their demons is catching up with them.

Juggler

John Cleese is a Genius

Postby Juggler » 2008 Feb 17 09:39

Note: I'm usually sensitive enough to spot a hoax when I see it, but this one fooled even me. (Ref 1 and Ref 2)
(But it's good enough that John Cleese ought to have written it!)
John Cleese wrote:“Letter to America”

Dear Citizens of America,

In view of your failure to elect a competent President and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately.

Her Sovereign Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories (except Kansas, which she does not fancy), as from Monday next.

Your new prime minister, Gordon Brown, will appoint a governor for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. You should look up “revocation” in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up “aluminium,” and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.

2. The letter ‘U’ will be reinstated in words such as ‘colour’, ‘favour’ and ‘neighbour.’ Likewise, you will learn to spell ‘doughnut’ without skipping half the letters, and the suffix “ize” will be replaced by the suffix “ise.”

3. You will learn that the suffix ‘burgh’ is pronounced ‘burra’; you may elect to spell Pittsburgh as ‘Pittsberg’ if you find you simply can’t cope with correct pronunciation.

4. Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels (look up “vocabulary”). Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as “like” and “you know” is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication.

5. There is no such thing as “US English.” We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter ‘u’ and the elimination of “-ize.”

6. You will relearn your original national anthem, “God Save The Queen”,
but only after fully carrying out Task #1 (see above).

7. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday. November 2nd will
be a new national holiday, but to be celebrated only in England. It will be called “Come-Uppance Day.”

8. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you’re not adult enough to be independent. Guns should only be handled by adults. If you’re not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you’re not grown up enough to handle a gun.

9. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

10. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and this is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.

11. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric immediately and without the benefit of conversion tables… Both roundabouts and metrification will help you understand the British sense of humour.

12. The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling “gasoline”) - roughly $8/US per gallon. Get used to it.

13. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call french fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called “crisps.” Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with malt vinegar.

14. Waiters and waitresses will be trained to be more aggressive with customers.

15. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as “beer,” and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as “Lager.” American brands will be referred to as “Near-Frozen Gnat’s Urine,” so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

16. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors as English characters. Watching Andie MacDowell attempt English dialogue in “Four Weddings and a Funeral” was an experience akin to having one’s ear removed with a cheese grater.

17. You will cease playing American “football.” There is only one kind of proper football; you call it “soccer”. Those of you brave enough, in time, will be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American “football”, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a
bunch of Jessies - English slang for “Big Girls Blouse”).

18. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the “World Series” for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable and forgiven.

19. You must tell us who killed JFK. It’s been driving us mad.

20. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty’s Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due, backdated to 1776.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Feb 28 11:50

On and on it goes. Boyfriends get dumped and go goofy in Europe also, but because guns aren't always within easy reach, the girl (and her family and friends) seldom die.

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2008 Mar 03 00:55

I see what you mean.

Today there is yet another one, family members killed only because the easy availability of guns made an ordinary squabble deadly.

The slaughter goes on and on. Only the heartless and cruel and stupid could believe this price is worth paying, just to keep zealots at the NRA happy.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Mar 04 07:08

Yes indeed, Juggler.

And in this morning's news, another two people are killed, only because any weirdo can grab a gun anytime anywhere in gun-crazy America.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Mar 04 07:17

But wait. Maybe you haven't had enough blood today?

No problem. Gun nuts across the land, duped by the National Rifle Association, have succeeded yet again.

Today's newspaper reports that a gun-toting relative of some little kids burst in, blasted away, killing them and a total of six people.

The slaughter continues. Who can doubt that guns constitute a serious public health problem, needing the controls that have been proven practical and effective in most other advanced countries?

Guns are everywhere in our country, only because we are as insane to promote their careless and uncontrolled use as we are to suppress the utterly harmless use of 4 letter words and the sight of a human breast on TV.

:rant: Help! :rant:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Mar 04 15:47

Tragedy indeed - four by gun,two by knife.

All studies point to danger from teen drivers, astronomically high when teens accompany a teen driver - chatter kills when it's adolescent and in-person.

It is plausible, but unproven, that cell phone chatter affects safety. You may remember that I mentioned a study in an earlier post, concluding from real data that there is no connection between cell phone usage and safety. This is an aggregated statistical result -- a driver reading cell texts, dialing, etc. is still dumb.

Wise One

Bushie Dominated Supreme Court Constitution Rewrite Likely

Postby Wise One » 2008 Mar 20 07:24

Pro Bono

Postby Pro Bono » 2008 Mar 22 23:35

Glocks(not one model does) don't have hammers Gas chambered semi auto but no hammer. Now model 1911 Colt 45 has a hammer
Lis73 wrote:Have you ever heard a glock click like a camera? Cock the hammer lol

Lis73

Postby Lis73 » 2008 Mar 25 08:58

It was meant to be funny...if you were young enough you would know that is from a song by Cypress Hill called Cock the Hammer. If you pay attention to what was written it says Have you ever heard a Glock click like a camera?? Which means the Glock clicks camera. Does it click like a camera when you fire rounds? How would I know (according the Cypress Hill it does-they are very gangsta so I trust their opinion lol ) But it is separate from the hammer statement which is the chorus line for the song. Sorry to confuse you. Besides I know nothing of guns, I have never fired a gun in my life and would not know what a hammer looked like unless it involved nails and wood ( which I do not handle either ).

Frank Strickler

Postby Frank Strickler » 2008 May 10 00:27

Hello all,

I'm a 1936 model who has lived through many changes in the gun laws in (After reading some of the posts I'm not sure if I should say "our country" or "my country") Well I'll Just say my country. Maybe most of you folks don't know how much protection for the law abiding citizen having a gun at hand in a bad situation has been. The media dosen't like the knowledge out, and the Libs don't want to hear it. Most of the time the gun hasn't been required to be discharged. It's presents has been enough to protect the owner.

While I'm writing a post, I'd like to thank many of you for putting me straight on a few things. Prior to reading some of the posts on this site I was suffering from the illusion that I was living in the best country on the planet. However as some of you have pointed out, all the woes of the world rest on the sholders of the United States. I want you all to know I'm greatful to now know what an awful place this is to live. Maybe I should move to some country where people don't have the right to speak their mind without being imprisoned, or worse. Maybe even beheaded. Then I guess I'd be in one of the good guy countries.