BANG !

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Truckie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: BANG !

Postby Truckie » 2008 Jul 05 01:13

Happy Independence Day everyone.
Today is what this thread is all about.

Concerned_Citizen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Concerned_Citizen » 2008 Jul 05 01:26

Yeah sorry we couldn't wish a Happy 4th on it's day we were pretty busy, didn't even get to watch the fireworks. :usa2:
Μολὼν λαβέ

Truckie

Postby Truckie » 2008 Jul 06 11:48

Truckie

Postby Truckie » 2008 Jul 11 23:56

I want to bring this thread back to the top one more time.

I wish to thank everyone for their support. I hope those "unknowing" may have learned a little bit if needed and/or have their interest peaked.

beckonwood,
Thank you for all. Nice talking with you.

fangz,
I heard no more from you. Please email if you wish.

And the last reason I'm posting one more time is to ask Wise One what happened to him?
Where did you go Wise?
I'm not bantering you, I promise.
I just thought you'd chime in, at least, once more to bid us farewell or call me an unthinking Nut Job... or something...???
But, you fell silent.

Wise One

Part 1 of 2 postings

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jul 14 02:47

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Wise One

Re: Part 2 of 2 Postings

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jul 14 11:03

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jul 14 13:01

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jul 14 13:26

Indeed you are allowed your opinions ... its your "facts" and they way you use them that bother me.

Please correct my logical flaws ... I will accept such corrections cheerfully and without taking offense. We all err from time to time, and most wisely use those events as learning opportunities.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Jul 14 17:01

Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Jul 16 12:47

Hmmmm.................let's see here. My father and all of his brothers served in various branches of the armed services. Some saw combat and others did not. Being the baby of the clan, my father did not. I am of the age that some of the fellas I dated in my younger years were VietNam vets. I was not impressed in any good way by how that war affected their minds and their thinking. I actually met a fella about 12 years ago who had been in the infantry and served in VietNam. He is nowhere near reality most of the time and still "walks the point" (in his mind of course). Of my two children, only one of them is currently old enough to vote. He does vote and tries his best to vote his own conscience. My youngest is only 16 and is just now beginning to learn some things about how the world works. She is beginning to ask questions but as is the case with most girls her age, the center of the universe is comprised of boys, fashion, and getting a driver's license.

As for my growing up years, I was raised in a blue-collar working class family. Until things went down the drain during my high school years, my folks were very active in their support of political candidates. Yes, my folks supported folks like George McGovern and George Wallace. My father always preached voting your conscience rather than voting along party lines. My mother's family (from Philly) were (and still are) equally politically vocal. There have been quite a number of firey discussions over the years regarding war and politics. And yes, my Philly counterparts are just as anti-Bush as I am. It wasn't always that way as I can remember clashes among us over the debacle known as VietNam. They thought it to be a worthwhile thing and I saw it as a total waste.

As for my news sources, I stay away from mainstream TV news. I stopped watching the networks a few years ago. I occasionally catch AndersonCooper 360. My preferences these days include (but are not limited to) Democracy Now!, Obsidian Wings, The Guardian (a UK paper), BBC (particuarly Justin Webb's America), Slate, Salon (especially Glenn Greenwald), Crooks & Liars, Washington Post, LA Times. On the rare occasions that I have time to read a magazine, I will splurge and pick up a copy of Rolling Stone. I also try to catch Al Jazeera News when time permits. As for my frivilous TV time.........TCM (am a huge fan of the old movies and the likes of Jimmy Stewart, Gregory Peck, and Gary Cooper), Project Runway, Real Time with Bill Maher and................last but not least, Andy Griffith.

Oh..................forgot to mention earlier that I lost a 23 year old cousin in Afghanistan last year. He never got to meet his daughter.

:wink:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jul 17 10:52

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2008 Jul 17 12:51

I get most of my news from the Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

I try to watch CNN, MSNBC, FOX ......but I get tired of teasers for
items that don't air for hours, then serve as lead-ins for some expert
who provides some tainted version of prepared talking points so
insanely devised to mislead the unwary......I just cringe.

The best entertainment for the time invested is C-SPAN when they
accept callers. Stupid, uninformed opinions from ordinary working
people who get their information from CNN, MSNBC & FOX.

Synical? You bet! Reality is too depressing unless there's a laugh
involved. :laughing:
Coondog :cool:

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2008 Jul 17 13:10

I gets my news from ParisHilton-and-BrittneySpears-24/7.com
:baby: All the news you need to know. :baby:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2008 Jul 18 12:37

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jul 23 01:40

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Nov 09 14:08

WO.....

You forgot the worst one in recent history. Let us not forget the little trick-or-treater shot and killed on Halloween night in South Carolina.

:cry2:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2008 Nov 10 17:01

Ah, Wise One!

Carnage in all its worst manifestations has thrived in one way or another since the first microbe ate the second one. Guns simply serve to accomplish time worn tasks more quickly and efficiently as befits our advanced civilization. They're much like nuclear weapons or HDTV.....if your neighbor has it, you need it, too. Inequity, in such regard, is a threat to self confidence which fosters paranoia and feelings of inferiority, which in turn results in the urge to acquire fairarms for purposes other than self protection and varmint control.

Poison Darts can be just as dangerous in the wrong hands.

Coondog :hammer:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Nov 17 14:39

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2009 Feb 10 22:09

I came upon this, related to a lot of the comments I've found posted here. Pretty scary.

:surprised: When is "protection" not really protection at all? :surprised:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2009 Mar 16 14:34

Wise One....

I've been following the updating of your Tragedy List. Just reading the headlines anymore is enough to make one head for the hills and hide out in a cave. I know that I disagree with your perspective on guns in many ways......but recent events are enough cause to pause and think about it all. Given the current state of economic affairs and massive job losses, we are likely to see more of this kind of thing rather than less.

A couple of us were talking about the low morale at work this morning and we both agreed that our little corner of the professional sphere is currently a prime setting for soemone "going Postal". Morale is at an all time low and people are wound up tighter than cheap clocks. Jobs are on the line if things don't turn around (how's that for a morale booster?). All of this kind of strikes me as the Crash of '29 with a twist........Main Street is jumping off "the ledge" and Wall Street is still reaping bonuses.

I cannot classify what is happening as bizarre, but rather as expected. I am quite sure the rabid conspiracy theorists could have a field day with this chain of events (as in Obama setting the stage to remove all of our guns). I enjoy a good conspiracy theory story as much as the next person, but there is a rotten root to this problem. I don't pretend to have answers or solutions but something has got to change here......I just don't know what that change needs to be yet.

[youtube]Dd6EbNgi5YU[/youtube]

Just one last thought......all these events have made begin to at least see it from the perspective of a Public Health issue.......and that's my change for today.

:gun2: