3D Printable guns

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Cannoneer

3D Printable guns

Postby Cannoneer » 2018 Aug 01 09:42

I've listed this as a new subject rather than add it to bang because it is a First Amendment as well as a Second Amendment subject.

Even though it is legal under the First Amendment to print blueprints of guns on paper, many antigun people are claiming it should be illlegal to print the same blueprints on a computer.

This could be a wonderful thing for people who live under an oppressive government that has disarmed it's citizens.
Oppressive governments were the reason for all ten of the amendments that make up our bill of rights.

I don't see a real problem with it in the United States either because of both the First and Second Amendments. There is nothing in our constitution that gives the government the right to keep track of who owns guns.

That also upsets the antigun folks. Now they will be fighting both the First and Secod amendment.

Wise One

Re: 3D Printable guns

Postby Wise One » 2018 Aug 16 01:19

Technical correction, we're not talking about "blueprints" but rather their modern equivalent as CAD/CAM information files providing input instructions to 3D printers.

In my opinion, government oversteps when it attempts to ban the publication/transmission of these information files. It is not the information that is dangerous, but rather the physical objects that can result from using this information. Freely circulating are the chemical formulas for toxic substances, nerve gas, bomb design, etc. All is protected speech under the 1st Amendment.

There is nothing in the Constitution that prohibits the government from keeping track of dangerous articles, including guns. Indeed, regulation/prohibition of 3D printed guns is an excellent idea.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2018 Aug 16 12:55

My My arn't you smart.

Certainly on a computer they are not really called blueprints. What makes those drawings turn out guns is hardware that can produce guns out of

many different kinds of materials including plastic. Several different models of that hardware exists and have been used to produce guns.

The firearms that can be and have been produced from that hardware are not on record anywhere and have no serial number.

If made out of plastic they can pass right through metal detectors unnoticed.

Prohibit all you like, it's far too late to stop production. So now there are guns that can't be regulated with any measure of success.

I bet you hate that.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2018 Aug 17 10:46

Cannoneer wrote:Prohibit all you like, it's far too late to stop production. So now there are guns that can't be regulated with any measure of success.

You might be wrong on that. Here's why.

Manufacturing counterfeit currency is nearly impossible now using photocopying machines now on the market and installed in homes/offices everywhere.

Although every body owns the "blueprints" for currency, they're sitting in everybody's wallet, manufacturing copies is very difficult even though everybody has access to photocopying machines and Photoshop.

Here's why, explained.

It seems technically feasible to extrapolate this approach and technology to apply also to 3D printers that manufacture defined dangerous articles.

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2018 Aug 17 12:22

Several models of 3D printers already exist and have been used to make several models of guns.

Sorry for you but that's progress. I think its a good thing. The founding fathers and I think everybody should have a gun and know how to use it.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2018 Aug 20 00:12

You missed my point.

It was technical. It had nothing to do with your right wing ideology.

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2018 Aug 20 10:52

No you miss the point.
It has everything to do with the first and second amendments. There is a fight coming over the right to put it on line and the right to use the hardware to manufacture guns.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2018 Aug 20 12:39

To repeat, you missed my point. It is purely technical and has nothing to do with your ideological retort.
Manufacturing counterfeit currency is nearly impossible now using photocopying machines now on the market and installed in homes/offices everywhere.

Although every body owns the "blueprints" for currency, they're sitting in everybody's wallet, manufacturing copies is very difficult even though everybody has access to photocopying machines and Photoshop.

Here's why, explained.

It seems technically feasible to extrapolate this approach and technology to apply also to 3D printers that manufacture defined dangerous articles.

Whether the technology SHOULD be employed is another issue.

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2018 Aug 20 19:19

Printing money and printing gun parts are to very different things, or don't you understand the difference?

People who print the guns won't be trying to pass them at a local market. They will keep them in a safe place.

But as a liberal you think it can all be taken care of with a couple of laws. Ha Ha Ha.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2018 Aug 21 01:24

Everything is different from everything. Duh.

And they also share certain attributes. Counterfeit money and unregulated 3D printed guns both carry danger to society.

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2018 Aug 21 11:52

You are way off the subject with counterfeit money. It has nothing to do with either either amendment.
Counterfeit money only hurts the economy and is only bad. Far different from guns which can be used for either good or bad.
The federal government has no legal right to know who owns a gun and who does not. That is one of the many things kept by the several states in Article one of the constitution.