Green, Green (Environment)

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Wise One
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tom Friedman on Innovation

Postby Wise One » 2008 Nov 12 10:58

Tom Friedman is terrific, providing yet on the relationships between innovation, finance, and environment.

The auto industry is another case of bad managers sucking the life out companies they were entrusted with, lining their own pockets even as they steered their stockholders, employees, and customers over a cliff.

:tongue3: Guess who they want to fork over additional $ Billions to play with? :tongue3:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Wise One
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A Great, Green Seasonal Idea

Postby Wise One » 2008 Dec 18 08:17

Wise One

More Friedman, Gas Tax

Postby Wise One » 2008 Dec 28 10:33

ShenValleyFire

Recycling Thread

Postby ShenValleyFire » 2009 Mar 09 01:42

I was just wondering who here in Buena Vista Recycle? Reason I ask is because I am 1 of a 3 man crew at Auto Recyclers that deals with all the recycling that we get from Buena Vista and Lexington. We separate into Plastic, Paper, Cardboard, Glass, Aluminum Cans (Soda) and Steel Cans (Can Goods). I am working on pictures that show what we go though on a daily basis. I'll start with Buena Vista. Has you all know there is a truck that picks up the blue totes everyday. When the truck gets to Auto Recyclers it dumps the "Goods" into different piles. After its dumped we have to pick though it to remove what don't belong. A lot of people think that plastic bags are recyclable, and they are, we just don't recycle them they get thrown away after we pick though them. Anything that has a film coating (Cups, anything made of Styrofoam, and Dog Food Wrappers) all gets thrown in the trash. The Plastic, Cans, Steel and glass all gets picked up and stored in a room until we bale it. Except for Cardboard which we bale on a daily basis.

Now for Lexington. We get big Containers from the landfill filled with bags and bags of stuff mixed together. Its dumped into a big pile and takes a good 2 days to separate, depending on the weather and how much we have going on. Everything is mixed into Lexington's Stuff, I mean at least Buena Vista separates the stuff when its picked up. And the same here, it gets separated, stored and sits.

Now my pet peeve. The blue Recycling container and Yellow cardboard container at Auto Recyclers. When this is full, its dumped and we pick it up, but last couple of times it was dumped, there was things mixed in it (Cardboard in the paper, Plastic in the Paper and so on). The Container is labeled, the 2 paper slots near the Yellow Cardboard Container, then 2 plastic slots then the aluminum cans slot.

I'll work on pictures in the mean time, please don't take offense of what I wrote, Just a FYI. Thanks.
Kristopher L. Bageant, Sr
SVFire1 - Shenandoah Valley Fire - Owner / Lead Photographer
VA13 - 1st Responder Wireless News - Virginia Sr. Incident Dispatcher

Anonymoose

Re: Recycling Thread

Postby Anonymoose » 2009 Mar 10 21:42

Wow. Good points from the front lines of the recycling business.

As for the poor recycling practices, there seems to be at least a couple of factors. One is the innate laziness of humans (self included), especially when it regards learning something new. Two, it requires a dedicated effort on the part of local officials to advertise the new recycling program and educate people on the process. This requires an outlay of cash for advertising, something which the local governments claim to be short on. So, it appears they have initiated the programs, but haven't made the full investment of resources to ensure the success of the programs. I lived in another locality during the time that they started their recycling program, and they used all forms of media, over an extended period of time, to alert people to the process and what was required to make the program work. And, they provided recycling bins separated into glass, plastic, and paper sections to make it easy for people to separate their recycling. I have no idea how successful the program is now, but they are still recycling, so something must be working.

It's a process that takes time for people to accustom to. People need to be reminded, regularly at first, about what is recyclable and what is not. If no one is reinforcing it, we're not going to learn. Thanks for taking that first step.

lexingtonrick

Litter

Postby lexingtonrick » 2009 Jul 19 16:19

Sitting on my porch the other day I observed a driver casually toss an empty beer can out of the window of his pickup truck where it landed across from my home. It was a very ugly gesture that got me thinking about the nature of people who litter.

At the Wal-mart I have seen all manner of trash left in empty parking spaces including soiled diapers and six packs within ten or twenty feet of a garbage can, Wal-Mart cleans it up, we get to help defray the cost. In down town Lexington I observed a car full of attractive young ladies open their doors and casually deposit their empty lunch bags and drink containers on the pavement before driving off no doubt confident that someone will clean up their mess. Enter public works and the tax payer.

Littering is just not a Rockbridge County problem it’s a universal problem. Litter is a by product of cheap disposable goods that have no further value and people who have little or no value.

One of my passions is to fish for trout. People who are serious about that sport are as much about being in the beauty and serenity of the trout stream as they are in catching fish. So it is particularly disheartening to see trash lining the banks and often in the stream itself.

The South River is a beautiful body of water. On one small stretch there is a pull off that overlooks incredible rock formations, clear sparkling water, even a small sandy beach ideal for children. At the pull off itself there are copious amounts of trash including Styrofoam containers, bottles and soda cans that have simply been thrown out of the car window by way of disposal and are now hidden in the weeds ready to become visable in the fall. The concept of viewing the great out doors as your personal trash can staggers me. But its worse by the stream itself. Rusting cans, broken bottles and all manor of trash litter the side of the stream. The beer of choice ........ Bud Light hands down. The identifiable cardboard containers so merry looking in the supermarket float and sink in the stream or are half buried in the sand. The plastic rings that hold six pacts together are indestructable and work like plastic handcuffs for water fowl. And because this particular area is often frequented by families and small children I have to wonder about the callous disregard some have for their neighbors.

When I first started to fish these waters I attempted to ignore the trash, I'd cast with my back to the shore and pretend that the beautiful waters I fished were respected by everyone who wanted to be in and at the side of that river. But the trash was the 800 pound gorilla. It's presence and potential danger, especially for children, made it impossible to enjoy the fishing experience. So I started bringing large garbage bags with me to fill up and haul away. Little by little the area (about 100 yards long) cleaned up. I hoped that others would notice and refrain from leaving their trash. However after A three week trip away and a quick look yesterday the only change I noted was a new layer of trash.

So I have come to this growing realization, based on a thorough study of the material evidence, a hands on study if you will, that those who chronically litter are demonstrating their utter contempt for their community, neighbors and friends. They are self absorbed, dedicated to instant gratification and prone to chemical addictions be it fast food, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes or a combination there of. Only stiff fines and community service cleaning up the countryside will help them with their littering addiction.

Virginia Law states: "Littering is illegal. Most people are unaware of littering fines. Section 33.3-346 of the Code of Virginia makes littering or dumping trash a Class 1 misdemeanor, punishable by up to 12 months in jail and/or a fine up to $2,500.

People who litter are showing their careless disregard for the property and well being of others and the environment. Keep America Beautiful studies have shown that one of the reasons litterbugs feel it is okay to litter is because they believe someone else is paid to clean it up. That’s true. The Virginia Department of Transportation spends about $6.5 million a year on litter control on nearly 57,000 miles of interstate, primary and secondary roads. That’s $6.5 million of taxpayer money that otherwise could have been spent on highway repair projects".

Juggler

A Graphic Eco-Ad

Postby Juggler » 2009 Nov 24 09:25

[youtube]fxis7Y1ikIQ[/youtube]

Sam

Getting colder or getting warmer

Postby Sam » 2009 Nov 29 07:21

Ok Folks, not sure where to put this, but what is going on with this stuff on climate change. I have been hearing and reading about climategate emails and wondered if anyone had a response. I know those in the know don't use the word global warming now, but call it climate change. What is a person to think or do on all this confusion. If the big boys in the know (I use that term lightly) can't make up their minds then what is the real answer. Maybe no one knows.

Now to my way of thinking throughout this old worlds life, our weather goes through cycles. Personally I believe our world is eventually heading for non existence, prior to old Chris Columbus, The Americas were dominated by pretty good sized cultures that eventually were destroyed or changed. Been watching that History channel again. When you consider the number of volcanoes such as the one out West, Ole Yellowstone, -----Jimmny Cricket that could put us way out of touch with one another.

Are you there...........
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Wise One

Re: Green, Green

Postby Wise One » 2009 Dec 02 11:27

This story is that it is just more folderal in a series of incidents that are exaggerated and exploited shamelessly by the conservative cabal. Its just another "death panel" that teabaggers have jumped on like flies on shit.

My take on this is that, mining through a huge haystack of hacked e-mail exchanges among researchers, that they found a found a bent piece of straw they are characterizing as the needle that will discredit all climate science.

Ridiculous. What they did is to catch a few people acting, well, like people ... using colorful language, poking fun at the anti's, and guarding information with the kind of wariness that erupts in any competitive field of endeavor.

What the righties always do is to bypass substance, because they are wrong on the substance, and go to ad hominem diversions wherein some trivial fact can be distorted and exaggerated by any means that will cause ignorant and uncritical people to doubt the solid truth that they hate.

:thumdwn:

Sam

Postby Sam » 2009 Dec 03 08:05

Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Uji

Postby Uji » 2009 Dec 04 16:33

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2009 Dec 04 17:00

Wise One

Re: Litter

Postby Wise One » 2009 Dec 05 13:25

Trend Setter

Composting Toilets

Postby Trend Setter » 2009 Dec 06 15:42

Juggler

BP, Halliburton, Transocean: Oil Spill

Postby Juggler » 2010 May 13 11:28

Wise One

Rush Hour in Utrecht

Postby Wise One » 2010 May 13 12:25

Notice how few people get to work American-style, one person per passenger car! They mostly move on bicycles, and the next largest number move by public transport. Only the idiots drive cars daily for commuting.

I lived in Holland for a year and absolutely loved it! By national law, every road built must have a bicycle path that is segregated from car traffic. They are healthier and live longer because of this, and because everybody has health insurance coverage.

[youtube]n-AbPav5E5M[/youtube]

fangz1956

Environmental Villains?

Postby fangz1956 » 2010 Jun 06 06:41

There was no fitting forum for this topic in existence. Didn't know whether to make a new one or not. Green, Green wouldn't work because BP is the polar opposite of green.

Tony Hayward......the poor little rich boy. How sad that he just wants his life back.......poor deprived soul.......NOT!
I think that the shrimpers and fishermen would like to have their lives back, too. Hmmm....think the guys that died when this rig went down would like their lives back, too? I am quite confident that their families would like them to have their lives back. The more I read, the madder I get. This disaster now has the potential of mucking up the Eastern coastline. And Tony just keeps whining and dragging his little feet.......while the oil continues to spew into the Gulf. I read his "apology" in the WSJ (the one put together by BP's PR team) and I am not impressed........not in the least.

So, this once loyal BP customer is now boycotting BP. Is that inconvenient? Yes. But actions speak louder than words ever will......and a boycott is a mighty fine action.

And Tony........when it comes to keeping your work team safe, the key word is PREVENTION!

:hair:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Wise One

Re: Environmental Villains?

Postby Wise One » 2010 Jun 06 11:28

Amy Probenski

Ironic Photograph

Postby Amy Probenski » 2010 Jun 08 10:53

This ironic photograph was taken at a BP filling station in southern Virginia where the management wants to be sure customers are aware that they are responsible for any spills.

Coondog

Re: Environmental Villains?

Postby Coondog » 2010 Jun 08 11:07

"Note to Self: Don't buy condoms at BP stations"

S.Colbert 6/7/2010 Re: Cap seal for oil leak.