Our government, then and now

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Wise One

Re: Our government, then and now

Postby Wise One » 2016 Nov 01 09:22

Cannoneer wrote:I take issue with your interpreation of the amendment. It means congress cannot make a law establishing a religion or interfering with the free practice of religion. This was put in the constitution because the founding fathers did not want us to go the way of Europe,but it only applies to the federal government. Not to the several states.
Wrong. Both the plain language of the Amendment, and centuries of interpretation by SCOTUS, support my reading. The Constitution does not say what you or I would wish it to say ... it says what SCOTUS says it says. I hate that SCOTUS rendered Citizens United and a perverted interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, but whether I agree or not that is presently the law of the land.

You appear to be unaware of a fundamental principle embedded in the Constitution, equal protection under the law as stated in the 14th Amendment. Individual constitutional rights apply with equal force in and to ALL of the states. I really recommend that you read the Constitution. It is worth your time.

Cannoneer wrote:Are you going to address the issue of Arizona?
Why should I? Immigration, in all its aspects, is the province of the federal government. States are acting unconstitutionally when they arrogate such powers unto themselves. You and I may differ over how well the federal government is exercising that power, but it is theirs exclusively to exercise.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2016 Nov 01 20:53

I have a complete copy of the constitution and I do read it and understand it and I served to defend it. And I think all Americans should learn it.
I know what the supreme court says about the so called seperation of church and state.
It does apply only to the federal government. When the constitution was adopted all 13 of the states had some form of state religon affiliation and that situation continued for years.

If Arizona wanted to defend its borders from foreign nationals crossing its borders illigally it was right to do so.

To call that an immigration situation is a very long leap. But our current administration can make a leap like that with no problem.

That's why I think you should respond..

Back to my premise, The supreme makes law de facto by its decisions.

And the president makes law by decree.

And congress could do something about it and they don't.

And certainly you hate that the 2nd amendment gives the people the right to keep and bear arms.
If we lose that right we will no longer be a free people.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2016 Nov 01 22:31

Cannoneer wrote:Back to my premise, The supreme makes law de facto by its decisions.
And the president makes law by decree.
Nope and nope. Congress makes law. When differences arise about what the law actually means, as they often do, then the Supreme Court resolves those differences. These are often close calls because the law is drafted poorly, or because it is contradicted by other laws, or because it violates the Constitution.

The President is limited to issuing executive orders. Perhaps you do not know what an executive order is. It is an administrative order to departments of the federal government, and only to federal entities. An Executive Order must comply with law. It is an administrative/management instruction to federal entities on how best to conduct their activities to comply with the law. It can never contradict, or make new, law. If an when that happens, the Supreme Court will slap it down.

Cannoneer wrote:And congress could do something about it and they don't.
Yes and no. In many cases they don't act because they vote NOT to act. In other cases they cannot act because what some members want fundamentally contradicts the Constitution ... which Congress has no power to override. That is what the "separation of powers" is all about.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Crux

In the mud

Postby Crux » 2016 Nov 02 13:34

Stuck.

We are living in the soft counter coup, the 2nd American Revolution, and wiseone, a complete FOOL, is going to lecture us on the Constitution?

HILLARY IS DONE. SHE'S COOKED. TRUMP is a third party independent candidate. Figure this out Virginia.

Return to “MAIN FORUM”