Any Wargamers Here?

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
1Centrist

Any Wargamers Here?

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 09 10:55

I like hex and counter, ancient to WWII, tactical to strategic Ievel, beer-and-pretzel to mind numbing. I haven't played tabletop wargames in many years and think it'll be fun to get back into them in my dotage. Grognards more than welcome, but newbies great, too. I don't have any games right now, but will get some if anyone's interested. Of course, if you already have games ....

I'm in Lexington. Let's discuss.
:beer:

Crux

Re: Any Wargamers Here?

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 10 16:24

More of a Dungeons and Dragons guy myself... :beer:

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 10 17:02

More of a Dungeons and Dragons guy myself... :beer:

My brother was, too. I probably would have been, but I was a bit older when D&D emerged. I get a kick out of the D&D themed skits they have on The Big Bang Theory every now and then.

One of the reasons I want to revisit tabletop gaming is to do something different with the "little gray cells," to quote Poirot. I figure all the table referencing and arithmetic will shake up the synapses. What I've found so far in trying to tackle the first ruleset is a serious curtailment of attention span. I blame it on the internet, my spending too much time on it. :typ:

Crux

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 10 17:25

Have you enjoyed the new Sherlock? I am just trying out Foyle's War. My big fave isn't British. Supernatural...

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 10 18:39

My wife and I generally love Brit TV shows, including Sherlock and Foyle's War. But we're cord cutters and limited to what Roku can provide. We share Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, and HBO GO services with our son out in Vegas. Go net neutrality! If you haven't tried them, you might enjoy Midsomer Murders (Brit), Murdoch Mysteries (Canadian), and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (Australian); they're more lighthearted than those you mentioned.

We just started on Blue Bloods. I like it. We should all have the Reagans' great family life; it reminds me of the Donna Reed Show. Sometimes it's a little heavy on the rightwing messaging, but I balance it by watching Jon Stewart.

Crux

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 10 21:13

I did MANY Midsommer's and several Blue Bloods. I preferred Castle. OH!!! Try THE KILLING. An epic along the lines of epicdom like House of Cards. The Killing takes place in Seattle, and the two lead detectives are awesome. I love the guy, a recovering junkie/skater dude. Great stuff.

OH. Try Wallander, the BBC take on it, about a brooding troubled Swedish Detective. WONDERFUL.

Net "Neutrality"? I don't buy it over the long term and Netflix seems to not like it NOW, over the short term. "Neutrality". Doubt it.