Hillary R.

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Crux

Hillary R.

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 08 21:56

Clinton. You know her. To use the "centristone"'s words, she is quarrelsome and resentful. Her time should be long gone. I went out on a line a long time ago and said she would not run. She might. I don't think she can get past her email/scammy corrupt baggage.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/twenty-s ... n-20150308

Does she deserve her own thread? Why not. Would you vote for her? Sure you would.... :hello2:

1Centrist

Re: Hillary R.

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 08 23:58

My view is she's likely to be finished for exactly the same reason the NJ piece speculates. I made this comment on a POLITICO article 2 days ago:
Yeah, that's true, but as the author points out, the Clintons have a way of getting away with a lot of stuff. What I'd like to see is some email suggesting she was bartering her SecState leverage for contributions to the CGI. That would be burnt toast!
As much as I'd like to see a woman in the top slot before I check out, she was never, ever a good choice.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 Mar 09 12:52

Don't profess to know much about the Clinton Initiative and it's financial ins and outs. Understanding is that it's a charitable institution for advancing projects of a philin.......phylim......good deed nature. If that's the case, we should not care where the money comes from. If, as Sec State, Hillary used the office for arm twisting to get donations, those actions would be questionable. So far, there is no evidence to that effect, but the White Water.....Uh, Benghazi investigations have made spurious accusations which they haven't been able to back up before.

Speculation is the favorite tool of mischief.

Whether or not Hillary would make a good president or not is debatable as well. She certainly has the capability on many levels which the republican field lacks and an intellectual level matched by none of them. She does not inspire Palin like lust in the hearts of republicans, but what democrat ever will? But, after eight years of deliberative and relatively competent governance, it would be a shame to reverse course now.

Coondog has many qualified four legged friends who would make fine leaders of the free world......and none of them are from Canada.

Coondog :beer:

Not a Warmonger, per se

Crux

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 09 18:21

Of course, there will be several GOP contenders that are every bit as "capable on many levels and have the intellect" of Hillary.

That is just a fact. You can differ on policy, philosophy, record, but the old saw about the "dumb GOP" is just nonsensical...

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 10 10:14

True, Crux, but GOP politicians often have to say really dumb things because of the electoral base they've chosen to nurture. This isn't to say all politicians are smart, only that some work under a real imaging handicap.

Crux

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 10 15:47

feinstein legal to hunt humans.jpg
feinstein legal to hunt humans.jpg (134.88 KiB) Viewed 5151 times

First you are not seeming a centrist to me. You are coming off as a leftist kinda guy. You are not being intellectually honest in your comment about GOP pols. Pols on the left do EXACTLY what you are suggesting.

Or this gem:
pelosi we have to pass it.jpg
pelosi we have to pass it.jpg (11.47 KiB) Viewed 5147 times

We can play this game all DAY!!

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 11 10:42

I'm not familiar with the Feinstein comment, but I get her point. IIRC, the Pelosi comment — like so many others — is out of context. She was talking about the public not knowing the details until after the House passed the bill and it emerged from conference committee. For better or worse, our government is designed for horse trading and the public never was or will be involved in these matters. After all,
Laws, like sausages, cease to inspire respect in proportion as we know how they are made.
— John Godfrey Saxe (1867)

The ACA was a total sellout to the special interests. The healthcare insurance companies, for example, have been making money hand over fist since it was implemented. :thumdwn:

Coondog

Hillary R.

Postby Coondog » 2015 Mar 11 14:24

Hilary is real smart. This e-mail situation is just a scheme to deflect from Benghazi and the fact that she and Bill were behind the consulate attack; a quid-pro-quo for a donation from Al Qaeda for their foundation's Haiti Relief program.

Reason enough to keep the republican fishing hole stocked with imaginary trophy winners.

Coondog :hair:

Leave Hillary Alone!

Crux

Fools rush in...

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 11 23:55

Coondog wrote:Hilary is real smart....Leave Hillary Alone!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hillary-cl ... -1.2991413
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dog, you don't pass the smell test and I am tired of cleaning up after your mess. :pat: You did pass obedience school though.

Hillary is not your friend, your neighbor, your peer, your guide, role model, or teacher. Your task master rather and you heel.

1Centrist

This Is How Sausage Is Made

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 12 09:23

Or, in this case, not (from yesterday's NYT):
A bipartisan Senate bill that would increase penalties for perpetrators and support for victims of human trafficking met potentially fatal resistance Wednesday over an anti-abortion provision. Senate Democrats blocked consideration of the legislation many had supported as recently as Monday, accusing Republicans of sneaking in language that would ban money from a victims’ fund from being used for abortions. Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the Democratic leader, said his party would not allow it to move forward with that provision. Senator John Cornyn, the Texas Republican who introduced the bill, said Democrats had rejected his suggestion to introduce an amendment stripping out the language. He said the Senate would vote Thursday to end debate on the bill, but it seemed unlikely that he would have the 60 votes needed to overcome Democratic opposition.

Coondog

Hillary or..........

Postby Coondog » 2015 Mar 12 11:12

The murder of governance by way of poison pill is the republican's preferred MO.

Our grandchildren's grandchildren (should we endure so long) will watch as every worthwhile piece of legislation is bastardized by this obsession with
control over woman parts by sanctimonious stooges of fundamentalist religion.

The epidemic of stupid has reached the point where willful ignorance is more of a threat to our very existence than all the terrorists put together.

Hillary, with all her faults, is preferable to any figurehead with a rubber stamp for the lunacy that crawls around in the minds of republican congressmen.

Coondog :dontknow:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Mar 12 13:15

Yay!
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 12 19:34

Anecdotally, I think you're right, Coondog, about the GOP ramping up the use of poison pills. Perhaps it's just a sign of the times. There used to be more flexibility in our legislative process when there was more collegiality on the Hill, pork was more acceptable, and there were far fewer gerrymandered districts. There was also an agreed upon ethic that actually governing was a good thing. Of course, the GOP was primarily responsible for ushering in these times as it has slid further and further to the right in what has been fundamentally a rearguard action against a massive demographic shift in our society.

Same with the abortion issue, though my use of it as an example of legislative sausage making was purely accidental. It's a sign of the times that wedge issues are now employed more and more to divide and distract us. They're just so relatable for the electorate, and they make good copy for today's 24/7 political news cycle.

Crux

The last THREE

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 12 20:10

All of you guys seem to blame, and think the GOP somehow MORE OFTEN guilty of political maneuverings! It is is if you are unable or unwilling to acknowledge the duplicity, and overt gamesmanship of the Democrat Party when it comes to things like, "wedge issues" or "poison pills".

:baby: :baby: :baby:

Seriously. You guys are dishonest at least.

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 12 23:44

Of course, Crux. Both sides engage in this kind of stuff to energize their bases. You can't have effective wedge issues without agreement to use them. It's all distraction and an effort by the parties to distinguish themselves sufficiently for the electorate to perceive a meaningful choice. The only real difference is in imaging, and that's because the important part of the GOP base these days — the primary voters — requires more red meat more regularly than the Democratic base. Heck, you can't get the Democratic base out for a midterm much less a primary election.

As far as the use of poison pills is concerned, the Republicans don't have to govern to make their base happy, they only have to keep the Democratic White House from governing. Given the awkward rules of our Congress, the GOP doesn't have a lot of options available to it; it can't get 60 votes for cloture in the Senate on most bills that would be palatable to their base, and certainly not the 67 needed to override a veto. In the House, Boehner foolishly tied his own hands by too often honoring the unofficial Hastert Rule, whereby the most unyielding conservative wing of the party holds sway.
:boxing:

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 13 10:02

Here are further details on the scuttling of the human trafficking bill I mentioned yesterday: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/how-abortion-politics-scuttled-a-human-trafficking-bill-116042.html?hp=t2_r

We elect children and morons.
:banghead:

Crux

Scale

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 14 14:58

C, I looked at the flap on the linked story about the Human Trafficking thing. Dude. We are upset because of this?:

"...in a breakdown sensational even by Senate standards, a bill to address the issue is set to go down in a partisan firefight. The cause of the row? Democrats didn’t read the 68-page bill to discover its provisions dealing with abortion, and Republicans didn’t disclose the abortion language when Democratic staffers asked them for a summary of the legislation."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/h ... z3UO6G4ZGI

My friend. We can't be upset by that, unless we are LEFTIST ACTIVISTS. We just saw the FCC pass in committee, bureaucratically, on a Party line vote, 3-2, a SWEEPING Net Neutrality regulation, 400 pages that NO ONE READ because it was NOT MADE PUBLIC prior to the vote, and you are in a bunch because of a 68 page bill that Democrat Staffers and their bosses FAILED TO READ??? Or that HEAVENS!, there was a "poison pill" or hidden provision in there???

Or the 2,000 page ACA bill that was crammed through on a Party Line Vote. 2/3 of which is just REGULATORY FRAMEWORK for law that hasn't been written, and gives HUGE behind the scenes regulatory powers to the monster... C. :shakeh:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That article is devastating to Democrats and the Left as it points out the duplicity of the criticism of the GOP as obstructionists, or for "failing
to govern", or some crap over the years. Read the article and on balance, it is a take down of the minority Democrats in the Senate.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh man. Look. Here is context to how I approach this. I have a cousin who works in the area of Human Trafficking. It is his calling. He operates in several mostly Asian countries. He has his own NGO/tax exempt .ORG. :salut:

He didn't need a BILL to do this, or a Politico article, or knee jerk disdain over House of Cards gamesmanship! Or this very thread!

An Abortion Anecdote: It's LEGAL! The SCOTUS SAID SO!! Nibbling at it is a Centrist thing to do, in regards to both Federal Funding via Taxdollars, and killing viable-outside-the-womb-third-trimester babies. Using the words "killing babies" in this context is:

-centrist-
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

C, would you vote for Hillary if she ran against Rand Paul? :hum: Scott Walker? :hum: Ted Cruz? :hum: Marco Rubio? :hum: Just curious. :tiphat:

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 16 19:25

Yeah, Crux, your boldface quote is exactly my point. Like the senators' letter to Iran, POLITICO reported:
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Republicans — many of whom blessed the missive during a brisk signing session at a Senate lunch a week ago, as senators prepared to flee a Washington snowstorm — should have given it closer consideration.

“It was kind of a very rapid process. Everybody was looking forward to getting out of town because of the snowstorm,” McCain said. “I think we probably should have had more discussion about it, given the blowback that there is.”

Jeez louise, why do we pay these folks and their staffs!

I wouldn't vote for Hillary if she was running against Satan. Of the four Republicans you mentioned, I think only Walker is likely to make the cut and I probably would vote for him. However, it's way too early for me to make a firm decision.

And, of course, best of luck to your cuz in doing good work.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 Mar 17 10:42

We might agree on the bold faced statement to the extent that democrats who trust a summation by republicans fall woefully short of having learned anything about republicans over the past six years.

Coondog has never served in the congress.......partly because he's never run for office, but one suspects that reading every word of every bill would take way too much time away from face time on the news media. Each of them have staffers who are supposed to do that for them. The fact that all the democratic staffers failed to notice the horse fly in the ointment until it was almost too late serves to suggest that we need more democratic members with more staffers.

Once again, the centrist has hit on the truth of the matter. Whether deceitfulness or dereliction prevail, both parties fail in fulfilling their sworn obligations.

As for Satan as opposed to Hillary. Satan had his opportunity in 2000, but apparently he had heart trouble and a gay daughter.

Coondog :razz:

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 17 13:22

Coondog, I think the problem is these congress critters and their staffs spend far more time worrying reelection than legislation, and they don't work all that hard at the people's business if you look at the time actually spent on Capitol Hill, and much of that time is likely spent soliciting donations.