Bibles! Religion!

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.

Do you believe in the God described by official leaders of Christian, Jewish or Muslim religions?

Yes
34%
No
63%
I am uncertain
3%

Total votes: 32

1Centrist

Re: Bibles! Religion!

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 May 17 11:29

That this "techie" conversation has occurred in the Bibles! Religion! thread reminds me of a contest a few years back won by a really clever fellow --> http://americanhumanist.org/HNN/details/2011-06-photo-caption-contest-winner-announced

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 May 17 18:05

Bigbux, "Cabin in the Sky" is without doubt one of the best movies we've seen in years. The array of top drawer talent both in front of and behind the camera makes this no surprise. What is surprising is that neither of us had heard of this gem before.

Thank you very much.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 May 17 19:30

You're welcome!

Saw it on the late show in my puppyhood and never forgot it.

:hail: Coondog

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Jun 11 16:16

Thank god!

Religion Is Disappearing. That’s Great for Politics

To those of us who are atheists, agnostics or “spiritual but not religious,” and who prefer to keep the Constitution and the Bible in separate drawers, the Pew Research Center has recently published data from a massive representative survey of 35,000 adult Americans, revealing that the fastest growing religious cohort in America are the “nones”—those who check the box for “no religious affiliation.” Such unaffiliated numbers have been climbing steadily out of the single-digit cellar in the 1990s into a now respectable two-digit 23 percent of adults of all ages, up from 16 percent just since 2007. More telling for politicians who cater their campaigns toward younger voters, 34 percent of millennials—those born after 1981, and the nation’s largest living generation—profess to having no religion. A third! That’s a viable voting bloc.

It is really the raw numbers that should give pause to any politician or candidate contemplating ignoring this voting bloc. There are today about 245 million adult Americans. This translates into 56 million religiously unaffiliated adults of all ages, more than either mainline Protestants or Catholics and second only to evangelical Protestants. This translates into 19 million more people who have no religion just since 2007, an encouraging trend for those who have grown weary of America’s slide toward theocracy.

:angel5:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Jun 11 17:09

1Centrist wrote:Bigbux, "Cabin in the Sky" is without doubt one of the best movies we've seen in years. The array of top drawer talent both in front of and behind the camera makes this no surprise. What is surprising is that neither of us had heard of this gem before.Thank you very much.

Well, after seeing all this chatter, I had to download the movie and watch it myself to see what all the raves were about.

Now I know, and it is wonderful. It's a look back at the past, is evidence of some pretty amazing determination and artfulness in producing a movie in those days with an all black cast, and stands as a great accomplishment.

Seeing Louis Armstrong in an almost-completely acting role was also great. He held a trumpet, and I guess must have played it in Duke's orchestra, but he was mainly just one of the Devil's henchmen. BTW, I'm just old enough to remember when Louis Armstrong came to Lexington to perform at W&L once.

Thanks from me too, Bigbux, and it was fun figuring out how to make my TV set play a movie file.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Jun 17 09:21

Ramadan starts tomorrow, so it's time to party like it's Fat Tuesday! Which reminds me of a story:

During the Iran hostage days I naughtily filed a report to headquarters that Teheran Radio had noted The Muppet Show had been cancelled for the holy month because of ... Miss Piggy! (Not everyone was amused, but enough were for my career to survive this.)

I guess even then American children's TV shows were pretty edgy. More recently, of course, we've had the controversial gayness of Spongebob Squarepants, Sesame Street’s Bert and Ernie, etc. Isn't religious zealotry wonderful?
:toothy:

As-salamu alaykum

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2015 Sep 10 10:05

adam&eve.jpg
adam&eve.jpg (44.31 KiB) Viewed 3893 times

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2015 Oct 02 14:06

Our precious Kimmy and her crew of self-righteous zealots tried their damnedest to exploit a nice person for their evil purpose.

The actual facts have now emerged.

The Pope had no idea who this wacko is, had nothing to do with her being there, had no private audience with her, and explicitly distances himself from her cause.

And to put the nail in the coffin, this actually happened.

Will this put the matter to rest? No. With crazy people, it never does.

:bricks:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 Oct 02 17:47

Damn!

We were hoping Pope Francis had captured another first:

FIRST POPE TO PERFORM EXORCISM IN UNITED STATES

Coondog :angel5:

or.........Jesus hung out with prostitutes, too!

Amy Probenski

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2015 Nov 10 09:06

If you need something to get all exorcised over, Coondog, consider this.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 Nov 10 19:21

When Coondog thinks Starbucks, Coondog thinks battery acid.

Except, battery acid is cheaper and likely less corrosive.

One supposes if you're smart enough to convince people to drink something that tastes like liquefied swamp gas, you're smart enough to play on both sides by failing to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays............. or God Bless Leon Trotsky.

What does the Pope have to say on the matter?

:evil: Coondog :angel5:

Wise One

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Nov 11 09:30

I overhead two coffee snobs comparing their favorite coffee joints.

One mentioned Starbucks.

The other said, contemptuously, "Harrumph! They don't sell coffee. They sell milk."

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Juggler

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2015 Nov 28 19:29

Texans & ISIL ... joined at the hip.

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2016 Jun 09 12:27

Crux

Amy at it again.

Postby Crux » 2016 Jun 10 07:41

Haters gonna hate...

As if there aren't a bunch of Democrats that STRETCH their Christian Cred a bit?

Dumb Stuff Amy...

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2016 Oct 26 15:13

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2016 Nov 05 10:05

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2016 Nov 07 22:02

Amy,
They are to us.

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2016 Nov 07 22:57

And there you have it.
A clear and unambiguous statement by Cannoneer.
Raw, naked intolerance ... only HIS religion counts among the many celebrating holidays in this period of the year.

Thankfully, I live in the United States of America ... with a Constitution that protects me against government-enforced intolerance of people like you.

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2016 Nov 08 08:14

Amy, do you ever think before you write?

You stated that my holidays aren't the only ones that count.

I stated,"They are to me." How does that make me intolerant of others?

I'm sure the other holidays only count to those who celebrate them and that is their right.

It seems to me that you are the intolerant one and you aim your intolerance at Christians. And that is your right.

I served for everyone's right to believe as they choose and that includes your right. Even if you want to step on my right to believe as I choose.