Bibles! Religion!

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.

Do you believe in the God described by official leaders of Christian, Jewish or Muslim religions?

Yes
34%
No
63%
I am uncertain
3%

Total votes: 32

Amy Probenski

Re: Bibles! Religion!

Postby Amy Probenski » 2014 Dec 22 13:04

conservativeJesus.jpg
conservativeJesus.jpg (90.46 KiB) Viewed 4895 times

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2015 Jan 04 14:08

There is good news! A cruel, repressive, and batshit crazy church has been slapped down by a court.

All the defendants did was to write a somewhat negative online review of the church. It's called free speech, which the court affirmed.

Here's the best part. They had to pay the defendants' attorneys fees and costs!

:clap:

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2015 Jan 29 09:13

Jon Stewart, perfect!

The faux religionists at Faux News get the ass blast they deserve.

(the good stuff starts about 35 seconds into the video)

Crux

(shakes his head)

Postby Crux » 2015 Jan 31 19:35

haters gonna hate

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2015 Mar 28 00:36

There is no level of stupidity, I repeat NO level, that Republicans will not sink to.

But the public will, one day,wake up. They're just a little slow to realize the magnitude of stupid.

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 28 09:54

Arizona can be a very unpleasant place for anyone not a diehard rightie. I've a friend who lives in Prescott who was literally spit upon while she was sitting at a Democratic Party sponsored booth to register voters. (I also got a speeding ticket there, but I don't hold that against the conservatives.)
Last edited by 1Centrist on 2015 Apr 09 09:56, edited 2 times in total.

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2015 Mar 30 12:49

I may have to re-think my support of same sex marriage.

Betty Bowers, widely acknowledged to be America's Best Christian, makes some pretty persuasive arguments for biblically-sanctioned marriage in this video.

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Apr 20 09:17

In so many ways we're a truly backward country in comparison to the rest of the English speaking world.
Amen, Canada!
The Canadian Supreme Court, unlike the United States’ Supreme Court, understands that sectarian prayer is sectarian.
Canada’s reputation as the world’s most sensitive nation was showcased again on Wednesday, when its Supreme Court ruled, unanimously, in Mouvement laïque québécois v. Saguenay (City) that the municipal council in the Quebec town of Saguenay could not open its meetings with a Catholic prayer because, as the opinion explains, “When all is said and done, the state’s duty to protect every person’s freedom of conscience and religion means that it may not use its powers in such a way as to promote the participation of certain believers or non-believers in public life to the detriment of others.”

Of course, Canada doesn't have an aggressively religious voting bloc. Or an aggressive much of anything save those pesky Canucks. :angel5:

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2015 May 13 11:40

Man, have Republicans changed. The pack that somehow got loose scared the hell out of conservative icons like this guy:

And how about those insufferable, whiny, zealots who keep saying "We're a Christian Nation ..."?
They should be careful what they ask for.

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 May 14 15:00

Scott Walker's Crisis of Faith
The Wisconsin governor is racing to reassure Christian conservatives that he’s one of them.

Scott Walker, the son of a Baptist preacher who says he takes his orders from God, has an unexpected problem on his hands: Many social conservatives don’t trust him.

Next week, the Wisconsin governor will travel to Capitol Hill to hold a private meeting with influential evangelical leaders, some of whom are expressing deep reservations about his track record on issues near and dear to them. Pointing to his past statements, and even his hire of a top campaign aide, they are openly questioning whether his views on abortion and gay marriage align with theirs and whether he’s willing to fight for their cause.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/scott-walkers-crisis-of-faith-117937.html

Things just haven't been the same since the Scopes Trial. And since Walker is the son of a Baptist preacher, he's certainly inherited the wind.

Give me that old time religion
It's good enough for me

Makes me love everybody
Makes me love everybody
Makes me love everybody
It's good enough for me
:shakeh:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 May 14 17:19

Things just haven't been the same since the Scopes Trial. And since Walker is the son of a Baptist preacher, he's certainly inherited the wind.

Inherit the Wind. Best Movie Ever! With the possible exceptions of Casablanca and Cabin in the Sky.

It does inspire one to wonder whether these people are capable of intellectual advancement. Even Technicolor hasn't managed to enlighten the fundamentalists one iota after all these years.

Hang Bert Cates from a sour apple tree?

Coondog :tiphat:

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 May 14 17:47

Never heard of Cabin in the Sky, so I googled it. Looks really good, though unfortunately not available for streaming on any of my services. Drat! Same with the original Inherit the Wind. There is a 1988 remake with Kirk Douglas and Jason Robards that's available and in my queue for tonight. They ain't Tracy and March, but not too shabby either. We'll see.

Cheers, CD.

Bigbux Stogeychomper

Postby Bigbux Stogeychomper » 2015 May 15 11:41

Turns out I have the 1943 version of Cabin in the Sky, with Ethel Waters.

I can put it in a DropBox for you. Does your TV handle digits via SD card or USB thumb drive? Mine plays both MP4 and MKV formats, but how about yours? If in doubt, give me the make/model number of your TV and I'll look it up. Otherwise I'll leave it in its present AVI format for playing on your PC.

If you're stuck with PC play only, VLC is the very best media player, free. I've never found a format it could not handle.

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 May 15 18:12

Very gracious of you, Bigbux. Thanks much. I have a thumb drive and my TV does have a USB port. This should be interesting/fun. :thumbup:

The 1988 remake of Inherit the Wind was entertaining, though not as good as the original. Robards and Douglas did a good job. It was a made for TV movie, as evidenced by the discontinuities for commercial breaks, and a little stagey. Of course, the work was originally a play.

Bigbux Stogeychomper

Postby Bigbux Stogeychomper » 2015 May 15 23:30

Ah, but if I don't have the make and model number of your TV, I don't know what format to provide you. TV's are very particular about which format they will play, and there is no standard. I will reformat into whatever your TV requires, and will look that up with the make/model. It's probably MP4 but I'd hate to find out after our work that we picked the wrong format.

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 May 16 09:10

It's a Samsung Model # UN32EH5000F; the Model Code adds an XZA to the foregoing, with Version # UU02. Of course, the user manual is ... well ... somewhere. :dontknow:

Cheers and thanks again.

Bigbux Stogeychomper

Postby Bigbux Stogeychomper » 2015 May 16 13:43

Here's what I learned about Samsung TV model UN32EH5000F, click for all the info including
  • The latest firmware upgrade. If you haven't already, install it so that you have the latest software version running on your TV.
  • The Quick Guide
  • The User Manual. It lists the supported formats and it says it can read nearly any video format, a lot better than mine which can handle only 2 formats.
  • So just copy the video to a USB flash drive, plug it into your TV, and follow the manual's directions to view. You may have to fiddle with the aspect ratio setting to get it to look right.
  • I'm posting the original .AVI file, which the manual says is OK, but if it does not display let me know and I'll reformat to .MKV for a second try.
Here is the DropBox Link to the movie. Right-click and then select "Save link as."

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 May 17 09:05

Thanks much, Bigbux. After lots of fussing over coffee this morning, I got the movie going. Will watch it tonight. :pompom:

Despite your much appreciated legwork on my behalf, there was a wrinkle — the TV wouldn't read either of my USB thumb drives. Here's the line from the TV user's manual that provided the clue to the fix:
If a USB device connected to the TV is not recognized, the list of files on the device is corrupted, or a file in the list is not played, connect the USB device to a PC, format the device, and check the connection.

People who eat Apples don't get FAT. (At least not automatically.) :smile3:

Thanks again and cheers.

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2015 May 17 10:17

Oh crap. I keep forgetting that Apple products are designed to be incompatible with most of the world.

Here's what I found to give you a FAT32 USB drive:

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 May 17 10:54

Oh, thanks, nudgewink. I got it to work. You can format a FAT32 drive with OSX; also NTFS, but for read only.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
— Steve Jobs, circa 1980

:smile3: