Bibles! Religion!

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.

Do you believe in the God described by official leaders of Christian, Jewish or Muslim religions?

Yes
34%
No
63%
I am uncertain
3%

Total votes: 32

Amy Probenski

Bibles! Religion!

Postby Amy Probenski » 2007 Sep 11 15:42

Go for it!

PattyPink

Going for it---

Postby PattyPink » 2007 Sep 12 17:26

Since you can't have a religion without some sort of bible, I guess it's better to associate yourself with the group of people who read the same bible you do. Of course, it helps if you all start on the same page. :typ:
Don't ask if you don't want to know.

Sweetness 'n Light

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2007 Sep 12 22:35

You are so so right Pattypink and it is good to have fellowship here with nice godfearing people like you and Amy cause there sometimes arnt very many of us I think.

Sometimes I think that all the liberals and drivebymedias that the smart radio and Fox TV men warn us about just want to kill our holy saviour Jesus Christ all over again like the Jews even though they maybe the evil Romans were kind of like the aileens that made them be terrorists even way back then long ago huh?

I liked that pixture of the frogmen that looked like a swatteam in the water under the east Lexington dam so maybe they really did practicing like I said they should to learn how to do really dangerouse things better and fasster than all the aileens. I sure hope so caus we dont' need no fingers and toes falling off us from the aileens leopardsy.

-Love and kisses to all-

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Sep 13 11:48

Stonewall, PLEASE,PLEASE tell me this is one of us trying to be funny!

Oh and Sweetness? You're right, I'm a liberal...satan's spawn! :roll:

PattyPink

Satan's spawn???

Postby PattyPink » 2007 Sep 13 17:34

Harleygrl35--who told you that liberals are satan's spawn? True, some of them could be but I have met some who were very nice people. :lol:

On the other hand, if liberals are Satan's Spawn...what are conservatives? God's chosen...no, I think that is what the Isrealites were called. Maybe we need to come up with a name for ourselves. :wink:

Sweetness 'n Light--If Fox TV is warning us that there is a plot to kill Jesus Christ, then they must have missed the explanation that He lives eternally and eternal can't be killed. At least, that is what I believe. :)

harleygrl35

Re: Satan's spawn???

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Sep 14 09:47

PattyPink wrote:Harleygrl35--who told you that liberals are satan's spawn? True, some of them could be but I have met some who were very nice people. :lol:

On the other hand, if liberals are Satan's Spawn...what are conservatives? God's chosen...no, I think that is what the Isrealites were called. Maybe we need to come up with a name for ourselves. :wink:

Sweetness 'n Light--If Fox TV is warning us that there is a plot to kill Jesus Christ, then they must have missed the explanation that He lives eternally and eternal can't be killed. At least, that is what I believe. :)
I knew someone would catch my sarcasm..thanks!! lol

Now c'mon PattyPink, we all know how fair and balanced FOX news is, how can they be wrong?? :roll:
(man, am I getting some good use out of this eye rolling emoticon lately!)

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Sep 14 09:52

Btw, I think we got a little off topic in this religion thread!
The line for beatings starts on the right!! lol

Soo, do you guys believe you have to be baptised to get to Heaven? This was a HUGE topic of debate on another forum that I visit.

I kinda always thought John 3:16 said it all. But, I was informed that I was wrong. I was told that while you had to believe, you also had to be baptised!

Maybe I should just get my handbasket prepared, just in case??

PattyPink

Back to the topic....Bibles and Religion

Postby PattyPink » 2007 Sep 14 18:16

Personally I think that if we consider ourselves Christians who should follow the example of the Man who leads the way...Jesus Christ was baptised by immersion, therefore I feel that I should follow his example.

He also taught that we should love one another as He has loved us. I try to do that too. I am just glad He didn't tell me I had to LIKE everyone. Loving people is easy--liking them is harder.

If I cut my hair...some say I'm going to H--L;

If I don't want to get my head wet...no problem, there is a congregation that will sprinkle;

If I want to clap my hands and dance to the music...there's a congregation that will make me welcome;

If I want to marry someone who uses my curling iron and makeup...I'm sure there is a group that will welcome us.

Unfortunately there are so many denominations that have their own interpretation of the commandments that it was hard to say which one was right.

So, what did I do? I think the clearest instructions were found in the Book of James...and since I did lack wisdom, I asked God in faith and He answered my prayers.

Sweetness 'n Light

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2007 Sep 19 17:31

I like this one about religion because to tell the truth my head kind of hurts when I read the things people write on the other topics caus its real hard to understand sometimes even tho maybe there are jokes I dont always get. Sometimes I do tho and then they make me laugh and giggle.

Yes it must be true that baptized is what God wants all the good Christian people to be, so they dont have to burn in hellfire with screaming and agony for eternity like the bible says. Maybe the baptizes is what make the soul kind of fireproof cause the holy water makes it hard to light the soul on fire in hell so the devil gives up and sends the souls that wont catch on fire to heaven, huh? I think it makes lots of sense and Im surprised they dont xplain it that way so we can understand it better and I feels sorry sometimes for all the jews and negroes and muslimers and aileen terrorists cause they dont get the baptizing to keep them out of hell huh even tho it might be mostly their own fault?

About the liberals being devils spawn I looked it up and its about fish making eggs so its real hard to understand especially if hell is so hot theres no water anywhere for fish to live so its kind of a mystery I guess but then lots of things about religion are sometimes. Maybe the harley girl thinks its like fish are slippery wet like liberals always when they do godless stuff cause they always hate America and freedom?

Well I got to go now since my husband and tonight his brother are coming for supper and it might be hard to fix all the stuff they like to eat.

-Love and kisses to all-

Ps its funny Amy, she started this whole religion one, just started only it and didnt say anything about God at all but just started it is all and now doesnt say nothing I wonder why.

jjordan

Postby jjordan » 2007 Sep 20 12:51

In my opinion, besides the sermon on the mount, James is perhaps the best outline for the Christian life found anywhere in the scriptures. Interesting that he says religion the Father considers faultless is "taking care of widows and orphans in their distress and keeping oneself unspotted from the world." Christians and churches pontificate well about the "unspotted" part. Embracing the entire notion, however, seems lost on many who prefer Sunday morning entertainment rather than getting their hands dirty and interrupting their otherwise harried lives.

For those like me who fail miserably, its comforting to know his mercies are new every morning. I just wish we Christians could communicate his love and grace as well as we proclaim his law and vengeance.

James presents a profound standard in his writing most of us will likely never live up to. Perhaps that's why Martin Luther ripped the pages of this epistle from his Bible. Grace is a much more palatable concept to digest for those so accustomed to failure like myself.

PattyPink

who can't be baptised?

Postby PattyPink » 2007 Sep 20 17:50

Sweetness n/Light said that the jews, negroes, arabs, and aliens can't be baptised. I couldn't find any doctrine that prohibits baptism for anyone who is willing to take upon themselves His name and a desire to follow His path. Maybe those pages were ripped from the King James version I use when I have questions.

harleygrl35

Re: who can't be baptised?

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Sep 21 08:49

PattyPink wrote:Sweetness n/Light said that the jews, negroes, arabs, and aliens can't be baptised. I couldn't find any doctrine that prohibits baptism for anyone who is willing to take upon themselves His name and a desire to follow His path. Maybe those pages were ripped from the King James version I use when I have questions.
No honey, she said the jews, negroes, arabs and anyone named Aileen can't be baptised! I am sooo thankful I chose another name for my daughter!

I gotta get some comic relief somewhere!

jjordan

Postby jjordan » 2007 Sep 22 10:20

beckonwood,
I find myself fighting a constant battle to avoid trying to remove the speck from another's eye while the rather large log impairs my own vision. At least I've matured enough to recognize the dynamic tension in reconciling my selfish desires with doing what is right. There was a time in my life when doing the right thing wasn't on my radar screen. Those "fun" times, however, caused much pain for many people. God can and does forgive, but it doesn't mean we won't face the music in the here and now. Even though I know what he wants me to do, I still find myself often descending down the road of "ungraciousness." It is certainly the path of least resistance in the short term even for those who know better. What a poor example it must be for those who don't share our faith and are seeking something more meaningful in their own life. Thank God that his grace is sufficient to cover my poor witness and account for dispensing his gospel in the wrong ways.

PattyPink

turning it over to God

Postby PattyPink » 2007 Oct 02 17:55

You know the saying..."turn it over to God"? Well, turning it over is easy...it's the letting go that is hard. Well, letting go isn't really that hard if I can still give advice on the best way to take care of the problem.

It has taken me many years to reach the point to just turn it over--now I'm working on the letting go. My goal is to eventually get to the point where I can turn it over, let it go, and walk away.

jjordan

Postby jjordan » 2007 Oct 03 15:15

beckonwood,
You sound like a sweet soul. I guess its just human nature that we desire conversation for negative issues as opposed to more positive ones. Probably been like that since Adam and Eve.

Sometimes its hard, but what a great world it would be if we all had the freedom to express our opinions and the common sense to disagree respectfully. Its a goal we should all strive for. Please accept my apologies in advance for missing the mark on the occasions I will.

resigned

Postby resigned » 2007 Oct 07 07:08

:sad:
Last edited by resigned on 2008 Aug 07 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

jjordan

Postby jjordan » 2007 Oct 08 12:40

beckonwood,
Seems your husband as learned well the old proverb to avoid yapping when one has only negative things to say. My wife is still trying to get me trained.

Amy Probenski

Re: Bibles! Religion!

Postby Amy Probenski » 2007 Nov 11 16:52

Now isn't that a good question. I wonder how many people in our very strange American culture, hyped with religiosity as no other country in the western world, are brave enough to answer it honestly?

Juggler

Do you believe in God?

Postby Juggler » 2007 Nov 23 11:58

Now that's a good question, Amy.
Amy Probenski wrote:I wonder how many people in our very strange American culture, hyped with religiosity as no other country in the western world, are brave enough to answer it honestly?
Apparently that question has occurred to others, notably Gary Trudeau, image no longer available.

Wise One

Re: Bibles! Religion!

Postby Wise One » 2007 Dec 14 10:41

I think Charles Krauthammer is dead wrong about 99% of the time.

Today, to my astonishment, he got it exactly right.

:wink: Evidently, miracles are possible. :wink:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."