Asparagus in your Pee?

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.

After eating asparagus, do you smell an unusual odor when you pee?

I have smelled it
50%
I have never smelled it
50%
I do not eat asparagus so cannot judge one way or the other.
No votes

Total votes: 4

Buck Turgidson

Asparagus in your Pee?

Postby Buck Turgidson » 2014 Jun 19 18:53

After eating asparagus, some people smell a powerful odor when they pee. If you are one of those people, you know what I'm talking about.

If this sounds bizarre and you have no idea what I'm talking about, then you are not one of them. This is a genetic trait split about 50/50 in the population.

So how about you? Smell, or no smell?

Reference:Asparagus, Revisited

Crux

...oh my...

Postby Crux » 2014 Jun 20 19:44

See your Doctor IMMEDIATELY. Hopefully they are "in network"....

Buck Turgidson

Re: Asparagus in your Pee?

Postby Buck Turgidson » 2014 Jun 27 00:28

OK, Crux et al., now answer the poll ... what is it, yes or no for you?
We've got serious scientific research going on here and we need to establish biological facts among forum participants!

Crux

So you are up to 50 views...

Postby Crux » 2014 Jun 27 21:00

2 votes. Yours and probably my Little Brothers. Or clowndogs. :laughing:

This thing is getting far less votes that the Fangz/Amy P. Appreciation Poll... :dontknow:

:laughing: So WHO cast that other vote??? :hum:

:laughing:

Buck Turgidson

Postby Buck Turgidson » 2014 Jun 27 22:02

I cast one vote for stinky pee, and I'm guessing yours is for odorless pee.
So far, we mirror the general population, split 50/50 in this genetic trait.
I'm betting that we all produce the odorous chemical as a metabolic byproduct, but that only half of us can smell it.

Crux

Turgid-son

Postby Crux » 2014 Jun 28 15:26

You are clouded in the head Buck. This forum is like a home for deluded leftists... Whoever cast the second vote should admit to it.
I did not vote and I have no personal knowledge one way or the other as I do not really spend time smelling my urine! Answer this:
Do you think your thread ODD, Buck? I am actually suprised clown at the very least has not opined on the subject. I will not...

Other to say that I can not take your efforts here seriously.
Asparagus tainted urine. :laughing:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2014 Jun 28 20:11

Actually.....

Coondog WAS the second vote.

And welcome back from vacation, by the way. I hear the Bundy Ranch is lovely this time of year.

Didn't have much to say about asparagus, but felt the urge to weigh in, anyway. Then again, my nose isn't what it used to be.
Could be something smelly that went unnoticed at the men's room at the truck stop.

Love the topic, though. More substance than the usual Obama did this or that nonsense. Maybe the discussion of edible side effects is just the thing we need to put things in the proper perspective. Thanks to Buck!

Coondog :clap:

Crux

Bunch of comodians!

Postby Crux » 2014 Jun 28 21:13

A couple of oxalic acid heads... Now, if only Jenine Garafalo (fangz) or Sarah Silverman (amy p) would weigh in Buck would REALLY be complete.

Buck Turgidson

Re: Turgid-son

Postby Buck Turgidson » 2014 Jun 29 08:56

Crux wrote:You are clouded in the head Buck. This forum is like a home for deluded leftists...

OMG, there is no subject that Crux will not convert into an ideological rant.

His answer strongly suggests that his genes don't allow him to smell the referenced asparagus odor. For those who can, the odor is obvious, powerful, and unavoidable .

Coondog's inability to smell asparagus in his pee calls his claimed species membership into question. Dawgs are noted for exceptional olfactory sensitivities. Can it be that our Coondog is a trans-species impersonator? If so, is it a chosen lifestyle preference or an involuntary genetic attribute he was born with? Inquiring minds want to know.

Buck Turgidson

Postby Buck Turgidson » 2015 Sep 21 22:40

Awhile back I started a discussion which some found disgusting, over the genetic fact that about half of us can smell sulfur-containing metabolites of asparagus in our pee, and half cannot. I'm one who can smell it, an overpowering odor that is impossible to miss whether you're trying or not.

Here's another genetically determined sensitivity ... for cilantro. I'm among the 90% of the population who LOVE cilantro and cannot get enough of it. For about 10% of us, it tastes like the most revolting poison imaginable, as explained in this fascinating science.

Which leaves me wondering whether cilantro is a suitable flavoring to use with asparagus?

:hum: