Evolution, Is it Fact or Fiction

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Coondog

Re: Evolution, Is it Fact or Fiction

Postby Coondog » 2015 Mar 23 16:28

Since when is the notion that modern day conservatives are missing links such a novel one?

:bricks:

Myname1563

Postby Myname1563 » 2016 Jun 15 11:07

:hum: If evolution is a theory and creation is in books, why is there physical evidence on evolution and no one's ever seen god? Just saying...

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2016 Jun 15 12:19

Exactly.

Actually, both Evolution and Creationism are theories.

The first is in books, and is backed up by physical evidence and rigorous scientific peer-review and corroboration.

The second is in books and is backed up by nothing.

:hail:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2016 Jun 15 13:40

Neither is particularly beneficial to humans.

Viruses and bacteria evolve quickly, develop immunities and kill us in large numbers.

Creationism leads to beliefs upon which religions are founded, which are responsible for killing us in large numbers.

The existence and participation of God in all this is open to debate. If God IS the creator, then he/she probably doesn't like us very much as everything else in creation seems to be out to get us......including ourselves.

Coondog :dontknow:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2016 Jun 15 14:04

This physicist has no clue whether there's a God.

If there is, I'm betting he/she/it only wrote the laws of physics and then stepped back to watch the show.

But is there popcorn? This is the really big theological question.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2016 Aug 29 10:20

If the physicist has no clue it is most likely because of Romans 1:22.

If I respond to any of your posts in the future I will start them all with Romans 1:22

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2016 Aug 29 15:34

Hmmm. Interesting. That skewers me, I guess.

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2016 Aug 30 10:37

I've searched and searched and have not found a record of any species evolving into anything other than its own species. Although claims have been made on this forum that the fossil record proves evolution.
If any of you big brains are aware of any proof of that happening please enlighten me. And please don't make unfounded statements like some that have already been made.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2016 Aug 30 13:10

My head is scratched to the bone as I try to puzzle out what you are asking. It makes no sense to me.

A species does not "evolve into its own species." If the before and after are the same, then no evolution has taken place.

Evolution is not an instantaneous process, wherein an individual animal like a shark magically transforms itself into an eagle. It does not work that way.

Within every species, millions of small mutations and environmental selection steps take place along a path lasting millions of years. Most fail and drop off not to be seen again. But some are beneficial, persist, and the genetic makeup of one branch of that species begins very slowly to depart from the original.

Those slow changes very gradually move the organism to more distant branches of the evolutionary tree until, finally, we perceive the branch as so different, so changed, that we declare it to be a new species. That declaration is a statement by Man, not Nature which moves only gradually over a continuum of tiny changes.

Man, monkey, chimpanzee, ape, orangutan, bonobo are all relatively close branches on the evolutionary tree. Much further down the evolutionary trunk are fish-like creatures from which we all sprang. Humans embryos have clear fish-like gills. They attenuate as the human embryo matures, but express themselves fully in fish. That part of our evolutionary history is partly but not completely erased.

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2016 Aug 31 08:29

I guess you'll just have to keep scratching Romans 1:22
Isn't it a contradiction to say if a species is changing it is not evolving?
Remember, according to you evolution consists of small incremental changes in a species.
As for the embryo growing inside the womb, fish like gills are only similar to gills, not the real thing. That statement is just more BS to cover the fact that there is nothing in the fossil record to prove that one species evolves into another species.
Believing in evolution takes much more faith in something unseen and unproven that it takes to believe in God.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2016 Sep 07 15:37

Cannoneer wrote:Isn't it a contradiction to say if a species is changing it is not evolving?
I did not say that. I said that if no change occurs then no evolution has occurred. Changes DO indicate evolution.
Cannoneer wrote:As for the embryo growing inside the womb, fish like gills are only similar to gills, not the real thing.
They are as real as the tails we also have as embryos. In a small percentage of humans they actually DO express themselves as real tails.
Cannoneer wrote:... there is nothing in the fossil record to prove that one species evolves into another species.
Bunk. There are hundreds of thousands of data points from the fossil record and from laboratory experiments that prove beyond any reasonable doubt that evolution is and has occurred. You are free to disbelieve the facts, you are free to think of the Earth as flat, and you are free to believe that you are definitely going to win the lottery next week. Belief alone does not make it true.

Crux

I agree...

Postby Crux » 2016 Sep 07 16:27

Wise One wrote: Belief alone does not make it true.

It doesn't stop you.

Wise One wrote:Logical argument, however sound, is unlikely to influence conservatives since their view of the world is incompatible with reality. They are stuck with a prehistoric mindset, viewing everything as fearsomely incomprehensible and dangerous. Any obeisance to social values is at best tribal, "we" vs. "they," and "they" are always wrong and to be feared.

Pure fantasy. Simple rhetoric. Utter hyperbole.
You really are not a fair minded commentator...
Now you will accuse me of not understanding HUMOR. :hammer:

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2016 Sep 07 22:20

Bunk my foot wise one, Romans1:22

Your off the wall statements are just hot air. I asked for evidence not just an unfounded claim.

There is zero evidence of any species evolving into another species. No missing link has ever been found.

There is much more evidence that what you refer to as fairy tales is real.

But as a liberal your thought processes don't go beyond what some professor told you was fact.

Crux

mutation favors DE-evolution

Postby Crux » 2016 Sep 08 08:56

Proof:

Q- "Your response to Donald Trump saying your mom does not look Presidential"

A- "Where to begin, or maybe just,I would hope that everyone could see that
as the sad, misogynistic, sexist rhetoric, that I hoped we had moved beyond"

:baby:

This fine, fairly brite, above average young woman just is no Hillary Clinton. I think it is sad that she has been so corrupted by her parents,
whether Bill is her biological father or not. I mean both Bill and Will are bright men, so she definitely had two smart parents. I am not saying
she is DUMB, but LOOKING PRESIDENTIAL is common parlance and common usage in describing how someone looks or doesn't! Hillary is by first hand reputation and proof, a crony capitalist self important lying dishonest criminal CROOK! Clinton Foundation as philanthropy my butt... :evil:

This is the sad aspersion game. The smear and personal attack GO-TO of the Left. "Racist, Sexist, Shish Boom Bah!!!" SO hollow and lame.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What do you think? Trump in a landslide? The Dems can't rig their way out of that. They will, and you know they WILL, fiddle around all the important edges, or urban centers, with election fraud and voter fraud. They will use money from our Treasury to register Democrat Votes. If the American People reject Globalism, the Bush/Clinton/CIA entrentched elite and vote for American Sovereignty in large numbers, TRUMP WINS BIG.

This isn't about Trump, exactly, just as it isn't about Hillary. It is about the movement of hearts and minds, one way or the other.

This is a contest between Liberty/Sovereignty/American Culture versus Crony Capitalist Corporatism/Globalism/Hillary's Brain-In-A-Jar.

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2016 Sep 08 10:45

Crux,

What the hell does your post about politics have to do with evolution?

Do you have a life outside of this forum? Maybe a hobby or something?

Crux

Thanks for the laugh.

Postby Crux » 2016 Sep 08 11:11

I appreciate the chuckle. Sure. It IS election time. Don't be so humorless. This forum if you haven't noticed is a 10 person construct.
This is an opportunity to tangle with LOCAL leftists. They need to be confronted with some facts. What are you doing here? :toothy:

Oh. Don't call wiseone a LIBERAL. he doesn't deserve that title. He is a top down autocrat care taking redistributor.

Hardly a liberal.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2016 Sep 08 22:01

Cannoneer wrote:There is zero evidence of any species evolving into another species. No missing link has ever been found.

You would benefit from a short course in evolution. This one is pretty good. It takes work and time to go through it, but an open mind can find answers in it.

For hundreds of years people have understood that life evolved during its billion years on Earth. As in all sciences, data completeness and understanding of details have grown with time.

The tired objection "no missing link has ever been found" is nonsensical. If something is missing of course it cannot be found. But many thousands of fossil "snapshots" of the continuous evolutionary record have been found. Each is a "found link" in the chain, providing an ever-clearer picture of what happened.

Perhaps you will never accept any evidence of evolution. Please recognize the impossibility of one person witnessing a parent species become a new species. Such transitions take millions of years, and we live only about 80 years. "Snapshots" at different epochs is the best we will ever have. (Except for bacteria which can evolve significantly within a human lifetime.)

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2016 Sep 09 07:30

Romans 1:22

And you would benefit from a short course on evidence of Bible truths.

Again you've done nothing but make hollow claims. For example the so called "fossil snapshots" they are only conjecture. In other words when a fossil is

unearthed the archeologists look at it and speculate about it. So far nothing has been found to prove evolution.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2016 Sep 09 10:37

Yours is an example of a classically closed mind. It is apparent that, on this subject at least, you are incapable of learning.

So for me it's appropriate to end any effort at communication on this subject. It's a pointless waste of time.

PS I do not consult the Bible for wisdom on science. It has useful historical and ethical content, albeit chock full of contradictions, but is the last place to look for scientific facts and analysis.

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2016 Sep 09 14:48

Your debate is entertaining but ultimately unproductive because bible thumpers are rigid as a rock.

I stumbled upon this real-time display of evolution in action, for bacteria, fast.

Seeing is believing.

Disclaimer: This video only works for people with Bible-Blinders removed from their eyes.

:laughing:

Return to “MAIN FORUM”