Evolution, Is it Fact or Fiction?

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
nudgewink

Re: Evolution, Is it Fact or Fiction

Postby nudgewink » 2017 Jan 20 17:45

There is no evidence for god, any of them, and there are thousands.

There is abundant evidence for biological evolution.

It is pointless to argue science with those who reject reason and fact, for misunderstanding and myth.

Give it up, Wise One.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2017 Jan 21 05:42

Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2017 Jan 27 12:06

This guy sees no conflict between theories of religion and theories of human evolution and the cosmic big bang.

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2017 Jan 28 00:12

nudgewink, you don't seem to see the difference between fact and fiction.
You and the person who calls himself wise one don't use enough brain power to see the impossibility of the whole theroy of evolution. The is much more likelyhood of God than there is of all the improbable steps required for evolution to produce all of the lifeforms that exist today.
If you put enough thought to the subject you will see the truth.
But I think you will both continue to believe in the theroy without any real thought.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2017 Jan 30 00:31

One cannot argue with somebody who finds magic, proved by nothing, more credible than science, proved repeatedly by verifiable evidence.

I do not doubt that you are honest in beliefs that you strongly hold.

But you make no sense at all.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2017 Jan 30 20:45

wise one,
Your postion is pure arrogance. Evolution is a theroy, and not a proven fact and as I see it you are blind to all of the impossible
steps for evolution to work.
Life comes in two major groups, animal and vegetable. So there would need to be two one cell life forms developing. Not to mention all of the offshoots to create insects and spiders. Also grass, flowers, and trees,ect.

All organs are all useless until they are complete. birds require hollow bones in and order to fly but would have no defense while evolving hollow bones before being able to fly.

So please do not refer evolution as fact. It isn't

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2017 Jan 30 20:45

wise one,
Your postion is pure arrogance. Evolution is a theroy, and not a proven fact and as I see it you are blind to all of the impossible
Life comes in two major groups, animal and vegetable. So there would need to be two one cell life forms developing. Not to mention all of the offshoots to create insects and spiders. Also grass, flowers, and trees,ect.

All organs are all useless until they are complete. birds require hollow bones in and order to fly but would have no defense while evolving hollow bones before being able to fly.

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2017 Jan 30 20:46

wise one,

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2017 Jan 30 23:46

I can't believe I am wasting my energy on the impossible ... getting a few tidbits of reason and fact across.

Gravity is a theory
Chemistry is a theory
Quantum Mechanics is a theory
Photosynthesis is a theory
Relativity is a theory
Biological evolution is a theory
Medicine is a theory
Celestial mechanics is a theory
Meteorology is a theory
Cosmology is a theory
Metabolism is a theory
Nucleogenesis is a theory
Electromagnetism is a theory.

All of these theories are accompanied by mountains of observational/experimental data, testing and confirmation by multiple trained practitioners.
All are stunningly successful in explaining past events, and also enabling us to explain something how future events might unfold.

"Theory" is not a term of disparagement. It is a term of admiration connoting beauty, rigor, accuracy, discipline, testing, corroboration, logic, and order.

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2017 Jan 31 00:34

OK wise one, Please allow me to put this so even you will understand it.

Evolution is an unproven theory much of which is pure speculation.

I feel sure that you only hang on to it so tightly because the alternative is there is God.

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2017 Feb 02 11:20

Dear Cannoneer,

This is how adults should behave.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2017 Feb 02 12:31

God invented evolution!

CD

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2017 Feb 02 12:53

That is a not unreasonable hypothesis.

But here's the rub.

Can you point to corroborating data, evidence, and analysis that elevates the hypothesis to the level of Theory?

:smile3:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2017 Feb 02 17:22

How about this: The arrangement of elements on the periodic table which cluster according to atomic weight, valence, etc. is far from random, suggesting that some form of intelligence intercedes. For what purpose, we can only guess, but it is suspected it has something to do with a pre-kindergarten art project in a higher plane of existence.

CD

Groundhog Day

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2017 Feb 02 21:16

Yep ... order, symmetry, patterns, sequences, all are characteristics of Nature.

As is disorder.

Scientists look for patterns of order where they can find them, and explain them using theories, with considerable success. The simpler the theory, the more accurate it is in explaining phenomenon and projecting into the future, the more beautiful and successful it is.

I'm just not getting the God part.

That seems a force-fitting of Man's particular brand of small thinking and superstition onto a Grandness that is ever beyond the totality of what we can grasp. But we should keep trying. Science is getting a lot of the small pieces right and will do even better with time.

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2017 Feb 03 12:04

Meaning exactly what Amy?
I shouldn't tell the truth?

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2017 Feb 03 14:46

Wise One,
Your last post implies that you gave the subject some thought.

If you read Genesis chapter you will find that DNA is implied in that everything reproduces after its own kind.

To be fair I have read quite a bit about evolution and find it lacking. I've stated some of my reasons in previous posts.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2017 Feb 03 16:03

Yes ... considerable thought, education, and work in the sciences.

Your Genesis statement is correct, if generalized and vague. True understanding is omitted, big stuff such as the double-helical structure of DNA polynucleotides carrying encoded instructions for assembly and operation of the larger organism. Scientists have begun decoding and manipulating this information but there is far yet to go.

There have been literally millions of experiments that verify biological evolution. All involve small DNA changes that accumulate and compound with time, either selected quickly and deliberately by lab scientists and breeders, or selected slowly and inefficiently in Nature to build over very long periods of time.

DNAanim.gif
DNAanim.gif (982.02 KiB) Viewed 4654 times

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2017 Feb 03 20:12

Correct Wise One,
What any creature or vegetable is going to become is in the every cell.
As far as DNA is concerned, what do people with your perspective think about that very first cell in the scheme of evolution?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2017 Feb 04 11:11

The origin of the first life on Earth is an unsolved mystery. But there is information and some clues.

Abiogenesis is the field of study that examines this subject, and here's a summary of both hypotheses and data relevant to the field. The geological data indicate that the first single-cell life appeared about 500 million years after Earth was formed 4.5 billion years ago.

This field has assembled respected and relevant fundamental data, a number of hypotheses, and has conducted preliminary experiments. My judgment is that none of the hypotheses have risen to the level of Theory yet, so there's work to be done.