Follow The Money!

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Wise One

Re: You should put up or shut up, EH?

Postby Wise One » 2014 Apr 03 21:27

Crux wrote:...and again you report no numbers or sources, just link again to your opinion...

The link was to an opinion which referenced prior message with hard numbers.
You are a bit slow, so here it is yet again.
Oh, and since you may have missed it, look at this.
Finally, "third time's a charm."

:coffee:

OMG, he still doesn't get it.
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Crux

Oh boy.

Postby Crux » 2014 Apr 03 21:50

Thanks. It is interesting. This is OLDer info, and it cites the Battleground States of Ohio and Pennsylvania. Those states and Virginia went to OBAMA, in spite of this "DARK MONEY" (as if there is no "DARK MONEY" on the Left). I still see a sort of MANIA about the Koch's. They have taken some GREAT positions, have supported DEMOCRATS too, a little, and are hardly UNIQUE.

The Left hates the fact that they are EFFECTIVE? Not so much in Ohio and Pennsylvania in 2012...

crux

The article is a bit loose with facts like "it is reported that (Koch) "VOWS" to spend (x) millions...
It does compare the equitable spending by Soros. There is a LOT of info out there:

http://projects.wsj.com/super-pacs/

AO, I really think you SHOULD be high minded enough not to get sucked into the KOCH HYSTERIA, but you do. Strange.

Crux

Let's LEGALIZE POT!

Postby Crux » 2014 Apr 04 09:56

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... legalized/

So, Soros has spent 80 million in efforts to legalize pot. Why is that RELEVANT? Because folks on the Right and the Left spend money to pursue POLITICAL ends... This is a known quantity. The HYSTERICAL Koch Brothers Fixated LEFT is something to see. It is a social phenomena. It is manic, and overblown. The "outrage" is pathetic and "unbalanced".

DOPES... (smoke 'em if you got 'em and we got some here on the Rockbridge Forum) :laughing:

Juggler

SCOTUS crushes campaign finance reform

Postby Juggler » 2014 Apr 04 11:21

Crux

Do you self examine Little Brother???

Postby Crux » 2014 Apr 04 11:38

Little Brother I will point out a basic difference between us, other than age. You can't engage in discussion, or FOLLOW a thread. You just put up cartoons. I will give you these RELEVANT little pieces that pertains to your post:

http://reason.com/blog/2013/08/26/the-o ... ng-bonanza
http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/ ... -lobbyists
http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-adm ... le/2533397

Perhaps the cartoon should have depicted the WHITE HOUSE under your hero Oh-Bah-Mah??? :tiphat:

Don't just go against the flow, engage in it, if you dare. I think you hide too much behind your cartoons LB. :pat:

Coondog

Silver Linings

Postby Coondog » 2014 Apr 04 13:42

So......the Supreme Court has ruled that the 649 people who actually want to spend over and above previous limits on political campaigns may now do so to their heart's content.

It is not for us to question why someone with umpteen bazillion dollars feels it is necessary to utilize their green-backed freedom of speech to influence the election of some Tea Party county clerk in one of many backwater cesspools of rural Alabama.

It is enough that this money is being circulated throughout the economy instead of molding away in some tax haven in the Caymans.

See it as an attempt to provide employment to the mentally handicapped!

Coondog :tiphat:

Crux

Oh that evil money...

Postby Crux » 2014 Apr 04 13:50

coondog I think you will find the limit per candidate is the SAME. Now, an individual can contribute to MORE candidates, irrespective of party, or ideology, left or right. Once there was no limit. Now there are limits. What bothers you is the idea of undue influence but where your logic falls down is that you somehow think only folks who vote for the GOP are "influenced". You and I both know there are folks left and right who are influenced by a great many things.

Over on another thread I took great pleasure in pointing out to AO, and YOU, if you were paying attention, that all that KOCH MONEY that was referenced in AO's posted citation, FAILED to sway the electorate in Ohio and Pennsylvania. I happen to believe in free speech. Free political speech. The wealthy will spend vast sums to get what they want. Legal Pot. Abortion at any cost. Gay Marriage. You name it, money will pursue it. So. Get over it. Spring has sprung...

Coondog

Re: Follow The Money!

Postby Coondog » 2014 Apr 04 16:47

Coondog knows perfectly well what is going on.

Money is free speech!

Just goes to show that you don't absorb what you read. Coondog is all in favor of billionaires of any stripe throwing their money away on attempted influence peddling. Especially when they back the wrong horse!

What the hell? Money talks! There's nothing to "get over".

What is not understood is, if that's true, how come we can't just call up the Mortgage company and talk to them for a while.....in lieu of that.....other stuff?

Coondog

Speech, it appears, is NOT money!

:curse:

Crux

Spit it out, maybe I can help.

Postby Crux » 2014 Apr 04 17:06

Coondog wrote: What the hell? Money talks! There's nothing to "get over".
What is not understood is, if that's true, how come we can't just call up the Mortgage company and talk to them for a while.....in lieu of that.....other stuff?

:curse:

What are you talking about. What "other stuff"?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Apr 04 19:41

Coondog wrote:... how come we can't just call up the Mortgage company and talk to them for a while.....in lieu of that.....other stuff?

:laughing:

Crux

Postby Crux » 2014 Apr 04 21:05

OK. I get it now. No, you gotta pay your mortgage.
Coondog wrote:So......the Supreme Court has ruled that the 649 people who actually want to spend over and above previous limits on political campaigns may now do so to their heart's content.

Now have you checked the facts on this? The limits to any given candidate is the same, you can simply now contribute to MORE candidates...

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2014 Apr 16 15:07

Crux

inequality

Postby Crux » 2014 Apr 21 11:53

"Yet in the current discussions about increased inequality, few researchers, fewer reporters, and no one in the executive branch of government directly addresses what seems to be the strongest statistical correlate of inequality in the United States: the rise of single-parent families during the past half century..."

It is EASY to observe that my opposition here in the forum does not grapple with the reality our society has wrought.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 2156024266

PLEASE for the life of our society, our community, and our next generation understand this reality.

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2014 Apr 21 11:58

Wise One

Re: inequality

Postby Wise One » 2014 Apr 21 13:03

Crux wrote: ... no one in the executive branch of government directly addresses what seems to be the strongest statistical correlate of inequality in the United States: the rise of single-parent families during the past half century...

Why is it not surprising to learn that Crux does not understand the difference between correlation and causality?

Crux might plot the number of recreational tennis accidents/injuries/illness as a function of rainfall on that day, and conclude that rain is sure fire protection. But no, clear skies do not cause these misfortunes ... they are merely correlated with them.

Yes, the United States is experiencing a decline in marriage rates:

But so are most other affluent countries. Note that countries with markedly more wealth equality are moving even faster toward non-marriage.

For example, here is the change in marriage rate in the United Kingdom:

And for the clincher, look at this chart of percentage of births to unmarried women. Those countries with the greatest wealth equality have the highest out of wedlock birth percentages!

The point that Crux will never get, is that simplistic ideological rants have very little to do with the complexities of the real world. It's pretty clear to me that the cause of US inequality has little to do with family structure, and everything to do with the wealthy and powerful gaming the system to their advantage at the expense of everybody else.

Crux

Another fascinating lecture...

Postby Crux » 2014 Apr 21 16:37

Call it what you will, corollary or causal, the VIEW is the same. The single parent family, or FAITHLESSNESS, versus the two parent family, has some interestingly dire sociological outcomes attached. We could enumerate them. Stuff like poorer educational attainment, increased drug use, and of course, POVERTY.

"More than 20% of children in single-parent families live in poverty long-term, compared with 2% of those raised in two-parent families..."

That from the linked article. AO can lecture away, but do take note of the importance, seemingly, of a two parent family for positive societal outcomes for children, and for family economics. Oh, two parent families living in the same house also has positive environmental impacts.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Apr 21 23:01

I don't necessarily disagree with your new general proposition, although I've not checked the numbers.

I do strongly disagree, as elaborated below, with your prior suggestion linking income inequality to a declining marriage rate.

Crux

All that funny DARK MONEY

Postby Crux » 2014 May 06 22:14

:laughing: Look at this story. It is HILARIOUS! All the hand wringing and selective outrage over the KOCH BROTHERS!!! :laughing:

Hypocrites. :coffee:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05 ... ve-donors/

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2014 May 08 20:56

Crux

Crack Kochcaine

Postby Crux » 2014 May 09 03:41

Too many are SELECTIVELY outraged, at best. The Left and Democrats have their own Billionaires, PACs and "dark money" projects.

To not OBSERVE that and have some balance of thought and conclusion, is a mere lack of LEVITY, at worst...