The Decline of Modern Journalism

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Crux

You sound like a child.

Postby Crux » 2013 Sep 04 12:41

coondog wrote:
The criticisms of Clinton, Bush, and Obama are akin.

Not quite!

The overt distain for Obama is undeniably unprecidented.

The big mainstream media has been in Obama's pocket in a way NOT evidenced with GOP Presidents.

Hey clown, use spell check once in a while.

fangz1956

Re: The Decline of Modern Journalism

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Oct 04 07:23

Reporting Government Shutdown Failing Democracy

Spot on!!!! America's journalists should be ashamed.........very ashamed of the great disservice they continue to do to the American people.

:typ:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Crux

The Decline of Modern Journalism and Discernment

Postby Crux » 2013 Oct 04 07:47

Believe what you will. Obama has been sheltered by the media. Bush was savaged by the media in a way Obama has not been. This issue is not even that hard to figure out. Obama has gotten a media pass on almost all fronts. The connections are clear to many if not to you. Whatever...
_________________________________________________________________________________________

coondog. Sometimes I just can't believe how dead inside some folks are. Dead to the concentration of power. Blinded by the fact it is their guy who is ramping up the rhetoric. I am sick of small government reps being called terrorists and racists simply because they disagree with the agenda.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

If we get President Clinton the lie "sexist" will be peddled out in full. This isn't hard to figure out.

Coondog

Hey clown, use spell check once in a while.

Postby Coondog » 2013 Oct 04 13:00

Coondog will start using spell check when crux starts using fact check!

Coondog :tiphat:

Crux

...so sad...

Postby Crux » 2013 Oct 04 13:39

Facts abound clown...

http://www.journalism.org/2012/11/19/fi ... aign-2012/

http://www.journalism.org/2012/11/02/wi ... aign-2012/

It is pretty clear in total. :sleepy:

Funny how often I am correct in both observation and interpretation and how often you are lost.

Well, not funny. Sad... No. PATHETIC. Such a tool...

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Oct 10 15:23

Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Oct 10 17:30

Coondog is not one to be helping out republicans, but I do have a suggestion:

If you don't like negative press, stop doing the things that are earning you negative press.
There is no journalistic requirement to qualatatively 'balance' news coverage.

Coondog

If you report about Al Qaeda blowing up innocent people, it is not required to then report something positive about them!

Crux

nice but still you dodge...

Postby Crux » 2013 Oct 10 20:55

Fangz I like your posting. I agree with it. It is a good list.

My favorite strait up news guy is Capital Hill Correspondent Jaime Dupree (sp.) He is old school and works a great beat. Of course I like Reason Magazine and not so much, ThinkProgress and the Daily Kos (both ICK).

Now, I do read articles from those two and the Huffpo. In fact I read almost EVERYTHING that folks put up here. I go to Realclearplitics to read ALL sides ALL about it. I read Krugman and Krauthammer. G. Greenwald. Even Maureen Dowd though she makes me cringe...

I will give you a heads up. i know you will scoff and laugh. But looked at structurally, and objectively, Glen Beck and his efforts on radio, the internet and on TV are amazing. He is a very entrepreneurial, devoted and heart felt Patriot. His is a fascinating story, despite the knee jerk opposition. His efforts beyond those three are large and amazing.

crux

Now what about this: By the way...

Is a 28 week old fetus, a baby? Viable outside the womb? Are not thousands killed every year simply as a form of birth control and shouldn't reasonable folks say on ethical grounds, "NO!!, not MORE!"?

The answer is yes, and the good folks on the left should either admit their sacrifice of these children in the name of "women's health issues", or stand up for these unborn children...

Still you are silent Fangz.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Nov 05 12:41

The NYT Spin Machine

The Grey Lady has shamed herself yet again......and I am not surprised. Do they not teach basic reading comprehension skills in Journalism school?

:coffee:

Crux

What can you say...

Postby Crux » 2013 Nov 07 07:07

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... get-654063

The FACE of NBC. No comment beyond that...

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Nov 16 07:39

Crux

The forest through the trees...

Postby Crux » 2013 Nov 17 09:13

MSnbs (as in MicroSoft, The National Broadcasting System, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, $$, Common Core one size fits all education curriculum, Race to the Top, ETC.?)

Gore Vidal is onto something, and why the Left does not look into the mirror always amazes me.
The ends justifies the mean let us say, and I am not talking about Al Roker and Matt Lauer!

Bend over AND look into the mirror you could say...

cruxheain'tthatbadreally :angel5:

"Lovely weather for a slay ride together with me..."

Wise One

Re: The forest through the trees...

Postby Wise One » 2013 Nov 17 14:04

crux wrote:MSnbs (as in MicroSoft, The National Broadcasting System, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, $$, Common Core one size fits all education curriculum, Race to the Top, ETC.?)

You can be counted on , always, to parrot the ravings of the Koch brothers' Freedom Works faithfully. They are nuts ... and so are you if you swallow their propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Only insane right-wing paranoiacs would interpret a mild attempt to improve basic educational standards as a threat.

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Crux

...words have MEANINGS and NEWS contains words...

Postby Crux » 2013 Nov 17 18:45

I am not parroting anything other than what has been WIDELY reported AO... :coffee:

Your POST is fraught with problems beyond THAT. I will not call you a Left Wing Nut, but rather simply tell you my friend that I have simply laid out what Gore Vidal and Fangz seem to be concerned about. The Corporatoccracy/Media/Governmental mish-mash that is the stuff of both business, media, and governmental entanglement. You seem not to like my example.

Oh well...

This shows AO's blinders.

It is born of ideological forgiveness for the ways in which the Left enacts
the kinds of structures and entanglements they pretend to rail against....

Do we value value choice and competition, local control?

So yes, one of the TREES you won't even see is Common Core. I think if you looked and were fair-minded, you would find that Common Core has not been without some troubling bias...
____________________________________________________________________________________

Beyond even this real concern for what one would consider to be a good education, there is also the ideal that States would maintain their more local control over curriculum, and even BEYOND THAT, the notion that teachers be encouraged to not teach to some fixed standard.

I don't want say, MCDonald's for everyone's school lunch. Not great analogy, but I like the fries.

Now let's admit:

Many complain about No Child Left Behind, or even the Standards of Learning here in Virginia. This concern and criticism is not "...insane...paranoiacs...interpreting...mild attempts to improve basic educational standards..." I would submit.

See we could get into this, but once again, AO shows ugliness...
:pat:

So capable to hate. So ready to cast aspersions. So partisan and oriented to one size fits all top down power from D.C. I am so glad that Virginia has eschewed the carrots that came with strings attached laid nicely in the narrow neat little box.

Maybe our new Governor can right this wrong. You would like that wouldn't you? I rail against the Left much, because the Left is working furiously to build sociopolitical structures I fine both offensive and dangerous actually to creativity and decentralization.

Which brings me around to media. MSNBC. :laughing: ...sorry... I just was reflecting on your failure to address Al and Matt's anal exam on MSNBC. Maybe you found real health benefits in that spot?

________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's to you AO, and the hate, the contempt, and the fun! I really don't know why you are so pompous. We must constantly define terms and agree what words mean. I am not for example, insane, and I have not fallen for propaganda. This really is a teachable moment, in a long series of teachable moments. "Compromise, work together, civility and dialog, consensus..."

Consensus is interesting. It can only really be pursued when folks agree on the underlying principles involved. For myself, the Federal Department of Education/The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation/Microsoft/NBC/Common Core thing is neither mild nor an improvement, in view of what I think the whole POINT IS, of having LIBERTY itself.

The Individual. The Family. The Church or Civic organization. The town. The County. The District. The State. The Federal Government. In all that it is the People that must protect their power within the construct of government. I do not blithely lend my voice to a top down education approach from D.C. In my better world the Individuals and The People collectively are Sovereign. The Framers saw States and Federal Governments as lesser "Sovereigns" comparatively. I agree...

Sorry. :dontknow: I really don't know WHY you are so PISSY, and controlling by nature, wiseone...

crux

We are not BETTER off, to constantly pursue BIG GOVERNMENT fella. :naughty:

pissy adjective 2. arrogantly argumentative
putz noun 1. a stupid or worthless person

I would like to apologize for calling your a PUTZ.
You are neither stupid, nor worthless, and I mean that.

schmuck noun 1. a foolish or contemptible person

That's more like it but I soften. Now I don't want you to get HURT or angry, as I don't mean to call YOU, the real YOU, any such name. Just in the context of this little forum, where it is really impossible to get very far given your online personality. You really do HIDE so much AO, you know?

You don't wish to dig a wee bit deeper. That is my TAKE AWAY or hit on you AO. You have created a high pedestal for yourself. I think you know this is true. I don't want to believe I know you in real life AO, as no one I interact with is so nakedly mean.

You sir, do not know me. Not really. If you did you would not be so darned offensive.

I will just call you "adversary". You are that. We just disagree... :coffee:

me, the real ME :2cent: crux

Crux

MSNBC and ED

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 13 15:40

E D, as in ED SHULTZ.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/unions- ... 75000-2013

Man this is awkward...

:shakeh:

One of MSNBC's BEST recieving all that Union money. Emphasis on BEST. :laughing:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Dec 16 13:28

NSA Approved Propaganda:60 Minutes and the Revolving Door Journalism of John Miller

I have no doubt that millions tuned in to this journalistic fiasco and swallowed it all....hook, line, and sinker. Edward Snowden has done us all a tremendous service by shining a light on the nefarious deeds of the intelligence community. On the other hand, CBS should be ashamed of promoting such hogwash as journalism.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2014 Jan 01 16:53

An Awkward Silence

Here is a piece published a couple of months earlier than the one above regarding the situation ijn Ghouta, Syria:
The Leaning Tower of Propaganda

Sad...very sad indeed. :shakeh:

Crux

Interesting stuff...

Postby Crux » 2014 Jan 31 16:46

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main ... .html#more

"Fox News once again most and least trusted name in news
PPP's 5th annual poll about trust in TV news continues to find what it does every year:
Fox News is both the most trusted and least trusted name in news."

"35% of Americans say they trust Fox News more than any other TV news outlet, followed by 14% for PBS, 11% for ABC, 10% for CNN, 9% for CBS, 6% each for Comedy Central and MSNBC, and 3% for NBC. It leads the way because of its continuing near total support among Republicans as the place to go for news- 69% of Republicans say it's their most trusted source with nothing else polling above 7%. Meanwhile Democrats are split between a lot of different outlets when it comes to who they have the most faith in- PBS at 21%, CNN and ABC at 18%, and CBS and MSNBC at 12% all poll in double digits. It's interesting that while Fox News and MSNBC are often thought of as equivalent, Fox News is by far and away the most trusted source of GOP voters while MSNBC is only tied for 4th among Democrats."

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Jan 31 18:43

Yep, Republicans listen to what reinforces their prejudices, closing their minds to facts and perspectives that might be useful. They decide as they are told to decide.

Democrats realize how boring and stupid it is always to listen to the same song. They look around, sample widely, learn, and make informed decisions.

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Crux

Who is watching the news?

Postby Crux » 2014 Jan 31 20:50

Actually if you read the link, 35% find Fox to be the most trusted, 33% to be the least trusted. I get that. But AO, all the other alternatives are FAR FAR less trusted! I constantly hear on this Forum about the great majority of this country to be informed, left of center, Democrat, progressive types, but the viewership numbers are HUGE for Fox. Take MSNBC. During prime time MSNBC gets little over 120,000 viewers! That is PATHETIC! What I do see is that PEOPLE, all people, tend to listen to what reinforces or validates their views...

It is a human psychological thing. You well overstate the sitch my friend by simply always just bashing the right in the grossest of caricatures. You are a hoot. In the grossest of terms, Fox is most trusted, and MSNBC the least. Now, if the mainstream trends LEFT, than what does it say that FOX gets the nod? Is the left just not really paying attention?