Disaster

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Coondog

Disaster

Postby Coondog » 2012 Jul 03 11:49

Day Four

No electricity. No ice to be had. Sleeping on top of the Dawg House to stay cool.

Coondog :hair:

Aaaaargh!

Crux

pathetic

Postby Crux » 2012 Jul 03 16:53

Go lay in a creek.

Wise One

Re: Disaster

Postby Wise One » 2012 Jul 03 18:41

We were without power for 16 hours and without internet for 30 hours, very lucky compared to many of our neighbors.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Crux

'DOG!! Shower Boy!

Postby Crux » 2012 Jul 03 21:17

Get a black trash bag, bit of cord and a clamp the sun and a tree and take a shower! That's the way I roll. WOOF.

How about that Health Care HUH? We are all served well as we march to single payer governmental control over Health.

The confidence is deafening in it's praise. Hip Hop Hooray, free health care from Nanny Obama. There's no shame in it...

Oh, and siss boom bah too. We loves that hope and change spread the wealth forget your pride and liberty music we do.

Don't worry. Be happy. The smartest people in the country think this is grand, if flawed, but really really wonderful.

Something Stinks!

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2012 Jul 04 07:31

Day Five

No Electricity! No ice to be found!

Layed in creek. Got minnows in my shorts.

The sun has apparently baked crux's brain.

What stinks is the laundry hamper and the putrifying remains in the upright freezer.

Coondog :curse:

Oh, Dominion Power.....where art thou?

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2012 Jul 04 11:02

Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Sam

Postby Sam » 2012 Jul 04 15:16

I got electricity after being without since Friday night. But it has been coming and going. My wife is cooking up a storm while we have it to give some food to some of our neighbors. We are so fortunate to have it even if for a short while. I managed to get a generator with the help of my neighbor on Sunday and hooked it up until the electricity came back on. Feel for all those who don't have it and we may have it go out again. I really am appreciative and so admire all those folks working on the wires, cutting up trees etc. They are the real heros. Dang if I was younger I would be out there helping. I still have my chairsaw but rarely use it anymore.

We are quitely celebrating July4th and celebrating one of our son's birthdays. He was born today 45 years ago. He is also without a job, was laid off three months ago. He was in a high paying job. Will pick up his mortage if he doesn't get a job soon. My other son came through all his surgeries and is doing ok for one with two brain tumors. He is a fighter. He has gotten back to his business but I fear the heat may impact on him.

That creek sounds pretty good, thought I would be in one on Friday night as my wife and I were driving back from a friend's house and went through Goshen Pass, let me tell you we were there in the height of the storm with trees falling all around and had to wait until some folks came though with a chainsaw and some young men to cut a way though. Thought my wife was going to faint from all the trauma.
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2012 Jul 05 09:34

Day Six

No electricity!

Heard about an ice delivery at RCHS yesterday, but by the time I got there.........they were gone.

Considered kidnapping for ransom.....but haven't seen any Power Company employees anywhere since Monday outside Country Cookin', so, I guess that's not an option.

Not on the list of work locations on the Dominion web site for today, either.

How long? How long?

Coondog :dontknow:

Waiting for the electrician....or somebody like him!

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2012 Jul 05 19:27

So sorry for you Dawg........... :pat:

And just because you apprently live on the edge of civilization as the rest of us know it, this is for you.

No rain......no crops.........no ice.

:sip:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2012 Jul 06 10:56

Day Seven

No Electricity!

Intense heat and sleep deprivation had me feeling like a mal-adjusted component with an uncollective mind and uncollective will bound together in a superficial society and unable to contemplate my own complexities, until...............

.......that most splended rejuvinating flashback! Thank you :hail: fangz for restoring my tenative semblence of sanity.....if not my hitherto daily dose of MSNBC.

Coondog

Give the nice horsey some sugar cubes

Crux

MSNBC?

Postby Crux » 2012 Jul 06 13:34

I wonder if they reported that one third of the 80,000 jobs created this month were temporary jobs.
...or that 85,000 folks joined the "disability" roles in the month of June.
...or that Obama predicted unemployment to be 5.6% by this time due to the "Stimulus"
...or that "broader unemployment" is at 14.something percent.

(Goshen about 20 hours)

...msnbc? :pat:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2012 Jul 07 11:28

Day seven and a half

And the Power Company said, "let there be electricity!" And there was electricity......and air conditioning......and ice cubes that magically appear.....and TV.

And Coondog saw that this was good and bestows much appreciation upon all the powers that be.....be they large or be they small.

Coondog :pompom:

I can't remember which corporate entity or venture capitalist was responsible for building the road through Goshen Pass that allows us to travel through or stop to enjoy it's cool waters and scenic splendor. Which 'job creators' maintain the facilities and protect the natural state of the environs? The heat and the darkness must have made me senile. Just can't rmember!

Sam

Postby Sam » 2012 Jul 07 18:25

So glad you got some electricity. Makes living alot easier. Don't know how we did it years ago. When I was growing up in the West the heat and dryness should could parch one's skin, nose and innards.
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Firebringer

Postby Firebringer » 2012 Jul 08 03:37

The evil derecho winds took out our power on the 29th, but it was restored 8 hours later. My brother in Bedford County was not so lucky. He was out for a week until they had theirs restored Friday evening on the 6th. At least he had a generator to run his freezer and a few things, but not the AC or the Internet (not that they had Comcast since that was out too). Most of my friends in Rockbridge county were without power. Tree destruction everywhere. Tuesday a storm blew in and lightening took out a section of one of our maple trees. This took out the power, Comcast and a clothes line. After two days of calling Dominion Power I made contact with a real person. Contractors came to clear away some of the tree freeing the line. The very next day I had power restored. I do feel for everyone who did not have power during the way to hot and humid tail end of June and first week of July.

weezano1

Any idea when power will be restored?

Postby weezano1 » 2012 Jul 10 19:04

I am planning a trip to Natural Bridge with my grandchildren...they just love it there! I live in West Virginia and was without power for eight days....I am so sorry for you all. I know how rough it is. I feel very selfish even asking but does anyone know if power will be restored by Sunday?

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2012 Jul 11 15:55

As far as I know....most everythang is up and runnin'. All that's left is that sort of hollow feeling all survivors must feel after something lousy happens.

So......C'mon down!

Coondog :dance14:

Unofficial tourism director

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2012 Nov 29 10:02

Lest the likes of Crux et. al. misapprehend that I support all federal/government programs, let me be very clear that I do not. There is much that needs to be eliminated or reduced.

Here's my nomination for the first government program that should go on the chopping block for ending completely. It benefits many millionaires who site second- or retirement homes on waterfront property such as barrier islands, plus others who blithely ignore the forces of Nature.

Such houses are certain to be destroyed, it's merely a question of time, but they build anyway knowing that average American taxpayers will bail them out from their bad choices. They then rebuild, repeating the same mistake ad nauseum as we pay and pay and pay for their stupidity ... another case of privatizing benefits for the already-wealthy while socializing their costs to relatively low-income taxpayers.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2014 May 05 13:50

Well, this is the most depressing news I've heard in a long time.

Actually fixing problems is sometimes less popular to the uninformed, than whining after creating problems. With recent history very much in mind, I think it will be a sad day if we go down that failed Republican road again.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2014 May 05 18:33

Relax, Nudge

It is possible that the progressives have learned from the regressives, over the past 8 years, how to filibuster every legislative initiative into oblivion.

Otherwise.......we will get what we deserve for being weak minded, apathetic stooges who are willing to vote in favor of war and famine in order to keep and brandish guns..........guns we most surely will need if republicans, who don't believe in governing, take over government and self proclaimed enforcers calling themselves militias take over broad swaths of what once comprised the USofA.

If Obama is loathe to utilize the forces at hand to combat open insurrection, what hope is there that a republican, who empathizes with such seditious acts, will act to curb the activities of his/her voting base?

What is one Coondog howling alone at the moon going to do?

He's going to relax and wait to see if elected liberals have the testicular fortitude to serve republicans a healthy dose of their own medicine. If not, and the republic unravels like a cheap sweater, Coondog will become their worst nightmare. A well armed liberal! :shakeh:

Coondog

If it comes to anarchy......ankles will be bitten!

Crux

Make one good point and let's examine it.

Postby Crux » 2014 May 05 18:53

Mostly coondog, you can not focus.