A Separate Reality

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Coondog
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: A Separate Reality

Postby Coondog » 2012 Dec 11 14:29

Someone said, concerning capital gains, 'They get taxed on that money AGAIN.'

Actually, capital gains tax is a tax on the GAINS. The money earned in interest, dividends or through appreciation. The original investment, 'that money', in NOT taxed again. I only mention this because I've seen it stated a number of times and it is my experience that it is patently untrue.

Losses of primary investment are Tax Deductible....unless you invest it in a Losing Presidential Campaign, of course.

It is also my personal experience that this tax stuff is boring and virtually indecipherable when it gets to the fine points of quantification on an individual or universal basis. That's what accountants are for and that's why any money saved by manipulation of the tax codes rightfully goes to pay them for their efforts.

Accountants! There are no poor accountants. All the really good ones are either rich or in jail.

Coondog :sleepy:

Tea Party spelled backwards is........Eat Ytrap

Eat stands for ....Economic Anti-intellectual Terrorism

Ytrap doesn't particularly stand for anything other than phonetically....as in 'Shut Ytrap!'

Wise One
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Wise One » 2012 Dec 11 16:16

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Crux

Of course they get taxed on the GAIN.

Postby Crux » 2012 Dec 11 17:38

You are correct. Now, by RAISING capital gains tax, we very well will discourage investment.
Generally encouraging investments is a good thing. You guys are funny. Do you wish to DISCOURAGE investments?

To Uji, there are many studies of who gets rich by earning it. GENERALLY you will find that the vast swath of rich folks, apparently got that way by EARNING their wealth. By working hard and taking risks. Sorry you that you minimize this and join so in the class warfare mindset. Sad.

Coondog

Excerpts from Reality

Postby Coondog » 2012 Dec 12 11:33

Uji

Re: Of course they get taxed on the GAIN.

Postby Uji » 2012 Dec 12 14:11

Uji

Postby Uji » 2012 Dec 12 14:16

Read what Republican , founder of Vanguard Investments, thinks about all this. You might be surprised, Crux.

Uji

Postby Uji » 2012 Dec 12 15:48

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2012 Dec 12 19:05

:tiphat: Nothing is more persuasive, or more beautiful, than fact-based data used honestly to define reality. Congratulations, Uji!

Crux

Thanks for the kind use of your time.

Postby Crux » 2012 Dec 12 20:28

The state of technology, invention, energy, government growth, regulation, education, family cohesion, savings, and a great many things are important. Uji it's a nice argument you put forward. I am still not liking where we are or where we are heading. You seem to think I have some poison pill.

Take Capital Gains. For me in my life, it could go up or down. It wouldn't matter but on the margins of my economic experience. Except of course for the fact that rich people employ me, not government.

In principle, taxes are plenty high. Our Governmental system on all levels is out of whack. Our Federal Government has grown by EPIC amounts over the time period of your chart. Spending per capita by Government over that period is up dramatically. Education spending etc. All that good will and redistribution and the black family is a shambles. Look at the Democrat utopias of Detroit, and California. Out. Of. Whack.

We are little better and actually worse for it. It is not pure I will admit. Whether it is tax policy, or Union reality for examples. Californians, affluent Californians are moving to Texas. Hopefully for my friends n Texas they will leave their Utopian Fairy Dust in Cali!

You weave a great tapestry. I think it lacking. :2cent: :2cent:

Take Corporate Tax. WE the consumer pay this with every purchase. Some companies like GE pay nada.
Big oil pays out the wazooo...

Wise One

Re: Thanks for the kind use of your time.

Postby Wise One » 2012 Dec 13 13:01

Uji

Postby Uji » 2012 Dec 13 13:44

Uji

Postby Uji » 2012 Dec 13 13:48

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2012 Dec 13 13:52

In 1776, a date dear to the hearts of the Tea Party, the population of the United States was around 250,000.

In 2010, the population was 310,232,863.

Besides the increase in population, a few other changes have ensued over the past 237 years which demand that government must needs to expand well beyond it's original size and scope.

Let us not fool ourselves into believing the founders crafted anything with forward option derivatives, cyber warfare or demographic diversity in mind.

Coondog :tiphat:

Governing over 300 million people today is a bit more complicated than governing 250 thousand in days of yore.

Crux

Make an argument?

Postby Crux » 2012 Dec 13 18:25

I have made many. 54 Christmas trees at the White House is too many. Corporate taxes are paid by consumers. The rich pay their fair share. Federal "prevailing wage" union labor rates make roads more expensive. Base line budgeting is bad business. Obama care will cost excessively more than it was touted to. Big Government Central State One Size fits All Federal solutions are poison to State and Local decision making. It has never been more profitable to be poor in this country than it is now. Federal government spends more per capita than it ever has, and this is UN-necessary. Our currency is being devalued by poor monetary policy. There is a difference between profit and net profit and on and on.

Uji. Don't act so at a loss here. We can simply disagree.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2012 Dec 14 11:37

Providers of christmas trees may disagree that 54 is too many. 100 or more would further stimulate their free market profits thus freeing up spendable capital to provide income for corporations who will maybe pay some portion of taxes on their profits which is and always has been paid by consumers.

If Papa Johns costs $0.15 more, just call Domino's. That's called the free market at work.

The rich pay what the rich pay. They can afford to pay more by virtue of their being rich. The poor cannot afford to pay more. Nothing times nothing is nothing. If you're not building roads, what difference does it make how much it costs?

Wisconsin is a prime example of how democracy works at the state level. Winner take all. And I do mean take and I do mean all! If it is so profitable to be poor, why are they still poor?

If I could borrow maney at 0% interest to get myself out of a financial bind, I'd be borrowing as much as possible with the underlying assumption that things will eventually get better. Austerity is negative thinking and negative thinking and negative actions assure negative results.

Devaluation of money is relative to global economic influences. Devaluation of a credit rating is due to simple stupidity.
Profit and net profit is the same thing, only less redundant.

Bah! Humbug! is not a palatable economic philosophy.

Just a few random responses to concerns of little concern.

The election is over. It's Christmas time (or the Holliday Season for those waging imaginary war against Christmas). The NFL game of two hand touch is about to go into play-offs. Egg Nog is on the shelves. Santa Clause is coming to town!

Doris Day: 'What ever will be will be!'

Uncle Remus: 'Dip-a-dee-do-dah!'

Danny Kaye: 'Life couldn't better be!'

Coondog: 'Peace and chew toys be unto you!'

:encore: :encore: :encore: :encore: :encore: :encore: :encore: :encore: :encore:

Crux

That was good.

Postby Crux » 2012 Dec 14 14:12

Thanks 'dog. That was a fun read. Merry Christmas by the way.

You do realize that your next post will be #666?

Who could know what you'll ponder through... :angry4:

Crux

Postby Crux » 2012 Dec 15 17:45

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2012 Dec 17 11:19

Crux points out that this will be post #666 for me, so I feel it only appropriate to address the devil, who is most always in the details.

Nobody ever said taxing the hell out of the rich was going to solve all our economic woes. But, if we're going to scratch out some additional income, it's a start. If it only runs the government for 8 days, then that only leaves 357 days we need to bargain over.

One might asp if it is fair to ask the rich to fund 8 days and the poor to fund the other 357 whereas the rich will still be getting richer all 365 days a year and the poor souls won't. Must we discuss the evils of cutting allowances for those who depend on government for the benefit of those who don't....right here at Christmas Time? Doesn't entitlement mean that you're damned well entitled to it?

Might we not cast one bloodshot eye toward Military Spending and curbing our war oriented posture toward international relations? And, how much of Homeland Security is really necessary to keep us secure? And might we sulfur to ask ourselves whether the greater threat to our own security isn't.....ourselves?

With a new year on the horizon, might we stop pondering how in the world four people got killed in an unstable middle eastern country and address the question of elementary school children in Connecticut? Liberals are all about reinstating sensible restraints that everybody thought were a good idea after somebody tried to off Pres. Reagan. Conservatives and, more distinctly the NRA, appear to be publicly silent on the subject.

'This is not the time to debate whether there should be a debate!'

Have I strayed from the subject of old Satan? I don't think so! Surely there is a middle ground between the idea that everybody should have a firearm (including assault weapons) and the idea that noone should have one. Somewhere in this argument lies the ramifications of our collective attitudes toward conflict in general. Our inner demons are surely exemplified by the placement of our financial priorities.....and those things we choose to ignore.

Too many bad vibes permeate our society, like an apple vending serpant. Rather than eliminating 'entitlement' spending, we need to divert resources from desctuctive ventures with the intention of ehhancing said 'entitlements'.......because, that's what the Bible says to do.

Peace on Earth is responsible economics. Good Will toward Men is not advanced through superior military capabilities or by utilization of second ammendmnent remedies. Mutual respect is not gained through intimidation.

Our basic philosophy is, Carry Big Styx? But, what ever happened to Speaking Softly? Why speak with a forked tongue? If it accomplishes nothing positive, why speak at all? One last question:

Do we have to agree on everything before we can agree on anything?

Coondog

Hades Pretzles are stale!

Crux

Re: 666 and, CUTTING ALLOWANCES!?

Postby Crux » 2012 Dec 17 21:01

Coondog

Speak of the Devil

Postby Coondog » 2012 Dec 18 15:12