A Separate Reality

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Crux

Re: A Separate Reality

Postby Crux » 2013 Jan 14 12:03

Man!! Don't bust a gasket there Joker. In my world, guns are tools. Tools for hunting certainly, for sport, and self defense. However, regarding the second amendment:

In my reality, a well armed(regulated) populace(the people) form the Militia(potential), to protect the sovereignty and safety of a Free People(the US). Look. This is the 2nd Amendment. It is still important. One day in 20 or 200 years, it may become important again to The People.

For this reason I would not disarm The People or create law to pursue this, or make it more likely.

Flame away... :violent5: Smoke the hopium 'dog.

Reality is there to see and experience and interpret I suppose. Did you see the story about DNA testing of dog poo to determine the pets owner for purposes of civil action/fines for public defecation/pollution?

How about the 4 to 5,000 riotous applicants for merely 1,000 section 8 housing slots? What nightmares of irresponsibility and then GOVERNMENT solution/regulation/enforcement/broken vision/promises...

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Jan 14 15:38

How about the 4 to 5,000 riotous applicants for merely 1,000 section 8 housing slots? What nightmares of irresponsibility and then GOVERNMENT solution/regulation/enforcement/broken vision/promises...
Police say thousands of people from all over the area lined up at the center. Many were homeless, single moms, or disabled. They were hoping to get help paying for their housing from the government.

ABCNews

Yes, we must only have hopium that the ranks of these nightmares of irresponsibility don't swell to the point where they're coming after YOUR house. I suppose these worthless pregnant single mothers, disabled and homeless people might well be dealt with by utilizing some sort of second ammendment remedy.

"There was a lady with an oxygen tank. She was elderly. When they told everybody they had to go home and they weren't going to help, she was in tears,"

ibid.

Nothing more disgusting than a smelly old lady on oxygen support looking for free stuff, I always say! She should have gone to the private sector for help. Carl Rove or some other conservative might have helped her. No.....only if she already had a billion dollars!

Coondog :help2:

Ain't America Beautiful?

Crux

Teachable moment!

Postby Crux » 2013 Jan 16 10:31

coondog wrote:
Police say thousands of people from all over the area lined up at the center. Many were homeless, single moms, or disabled. They were hoping to get help paying for their housing from the government.

ABCNews

"There was a(ONE) lady with an oxygen tank. She was elderly. When they told everybody they had to go home and they weren't going to help, she was in tears,"

That is dumb as poo. MANY? :tongue3: ONE? How many? 100? 1000? Half the hoard? I am sure granny-on-oxygen wasn't throwing chairs! We are not talking about helping a single mother. That is a whole 'nother topic.

Sure we have a BROKEN family structure INCREASINGLY in our culture. The statistics are gross.

Don't play stupid. All your Rovian billionaire "you don't care" BS aside:
Enabling, entitlement/victim mentality and fostering governmental dependency is no joking matter my friend...

Grow up. Foolishness I say. Projection, truth twisting, and arrogance!!

Attack churches and the private sector EVERY chance you get and CONSTANTLY champion the ridiculous. PS... Yet ANOTHER group of EXPLOITED CHILDREN were used as PROPS by the left. First the problem is created. Then the Utopians swoop in to rescue all. I don't need a KING and arrogant doo doo gooders just look pathetic, cowardly, irresponsible and dangerous to me. You are better than this.

The folks that vote for all this BIG government HOKUM...mystify, irritate and DESTROY. :baby: :baby: :baby: :baby:

Today DOCTORS became agents of law enforcement and big government. Oh boy. CRAZYMAKIN' FOOLS!!!

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Jan 22 17:13

So............now the republicans are scheming to alter the electoral college rules to split votes in blue swing states so, having failed to win using voter suppression, they can rig election results in another underhanded way.

This is why I'll never support these clowns. They're inherently dishonest and afforded unchecked power, will abuse it in ways previously unheard of.

I suppose it IS easier to rig the system than it is to gain the support of actual people. But.....c'mon man!

Coondog :curse:

I want to like these guys. I really do. But they make it virtually impossible.

Crux

Over reaction station

Postby Crux » 2013 Jan 22 21:14

Dog. There are a couple few states that award electors proportionately according to the popular vote, right? This is up to the States. OF COURSE, if Cali did this for example, or New York say, the GOP would pick up a few electors, commensurate with their distribution in the popular vote.

You should not be all over the map on this.
It is up to the State, and splitting electors is actually MORE Democratic.

I really could care less. Look at Texas. Dems would pick up towards half of the electors...

I would think the DEBT would trouble you more! Or BEYONCE lip synching the NA!

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 Jan 23 09:30

On this one both Crux and Coondog have a point.

In a sense, the electoral system has already been "gamed" by the states, most of which chose a "winner take all" allocation of presidential electoral votes to maximize their influence on the final result. Thus does a (51% to 48%) win in the popular vote by Obama become a (62% to 38%) win in the electoral vote. It is theoretically possible under this system for a loser in the popular vote to win in electoral votes.

Some have long argued that a simple plurality of the national popular vote would be fairer and ought to determine an election's outcome. Those few states that have chosen to allocate their electoral votes in proportion to the popular vote have taken a step in this direction and, some say, are fairer.

On the other hand, what is going on here is "cherry picking" as Republicans attempt to switch the system only in those states that will move the total national electoral vote in their direction, yet another slimy display of the cynicism they are so famous for.

In my opinion we need a uniform rule that applies to all states, either the "winner take all" or the "total popular vote" allocation of electoral votes. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Jan 23 12:19

Virginia GOP shameless in drive to rig elections in their favor

State Sen. Donald McEachin, D-Va., Senate Democratic Caucus chair, talks with Rachel Maddow about the underhanded vote sneak by Virginia state Republicans to pass a new gerrymandering bill to give Republicans an advantage in future elections.

I really don't expect much of anyone, especially those of ultra-conservative persuasion to give that link half a look. After all, the lengthy set-ups and thoroughness of Maddow's approach to reporting complex issues surely eludes the bumper sticker mentality of most of the right wing.

But, since this followed my address of the issue of yesterday, I thought I'd post it here for posterity's sake.

Now, we all know what gerrymandering is and we all know that it is a device employed by whatever party has the opportunity to do so. As far as interior state representation, it's just a reprehensible systematic reality. What happened in the VA senate, however, points to just how insidious one particular party seems inevitably to be when it comes to methodology.

And, this is only a small part of the broader issue of rigging the electoral college system and the even bigger issue of the fact that these sneaky little shits in the VA legislature couldn't come up with this stuff on their own if their lives depended on it. They are spoon fed legislation by conservative think tanks and operators. That's why it doesn't just happen in one place, but everywhere they have enough power to undercut traditional democratic precedents.

It is unlikely that the republican house, who benefits as much as anyone from this, will fail to pass this horrendous affront to representative government, however, the Governor must still sign it.

Which brings us to Governor Macadoodle. It's fairly unpalatable to one's legacy to be know as Governor Ultrasound. But if this seedy and undisguised attempt at subversion of voter representation on both a state and national level which was introduced in the most disgusting display of political backstabbing is allowed to stand.........we can start referring to the Governor as........Back Door Bob!

Gee.....I hope that catches on!

Coondog :coffee:

PS I don't think the electoral college system is particularly fair, either. But, national elections should have national rules. Virginia is a shining example as to why the states can't be trusted to display anything like ethics in administration of elections. Remember Florida in 2000? So, yeah, if we're going to have an electoral college, the same rules that apply to Virginia need apply to Texas as well. No more cheating! No more back door moves like this one.

Crux

Interesting little take...

Postby Crux » 2013 Jan 23 15:57

You guys are something. I think of the games pulled to get Obamacare through...and all the rest of the games around redistricting in general. This thing you are exercised about is small potatoes. On the redistricting:

"...is the result really so terrible for the people of Virginia?

...you had both the Republican Governor Bob McDonnell and Lieutenant Governor Bill Bolling coming out against the redistricting plan.

...it's not like the Democrats haven't played a similar redistricting game before.

Not only did Republicans not take away any black majority seats, but part of their gerrymander was to actually create another black majority seat.

The old Virginia Senate districts were drawn by Democrats in 2011 in an effort to try and maintain their then four seat majority. Republicans were up in arms and for good reason. Republicans were only able to win 20 out of 40 seats in 2011, despite the fact that they won the statewide vote for senate 57% to 40% in the 2011 elections.

That result is far more skewed than it was for the national house in 2012. If percentage of vote equaled percentage of seats, Virginia Republicans should have won 23 to 24 seats in 2011. Usually, though, in single member districts, the curve is more responsive and 57% of the vote would result in something like 60-65% or 24 to 26 of the 40 seats.

The new districts are more likely to mirror the statewide vote for state senate. One estimate from Ben Tribbett has Republicans winning up to 27 seats in a good Republican year. This isn't terribly far off from the upper range of the responsive curve for the 2011 elections, and it certainly is closer to statewide vote than the actual 2011 seat makeup. My friend Sean Trende puts the estimate at locking in a Republican majority by two to three seats. This would actually be at the lower end of the proportional curve, but still closer to what we'd expect than the actual 2011 seat makeup.

Thus, while Virginia Republicans may certainly take hits for it in the press and from Democrats. At the end of the day, however, the result is likely a Virginia Senate that better emulates statewide voting patterns. And while I think they probably will, the only question left is whether or not the courts find it legal."

Taken from the Guardian

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Jan 23 17:57

Hey ..... I don't expect honesty and integrity in politics.

But, this sort of shenanighans used to happen in the shadows, and when someone got caught, it was scandalous. Now, it goes on in plain sight without a hint of shame.

If you watched the entire segment (if you did, then good for you), the point was made that our esteemed governor always tut tuts about it not being his cup of tea.....just before he signs it into law.

How many republicans and democrats there were in the state legislature never meant all that much, because they never did much before. But, today, they take their marching orders from their think tank operators for things they never would have thought of doing on their own. Thats my point. Things have changed, and not for the better.

We can talk about health care or gerrymandering and the stuff that gets manipulated into existence through the political process.

With the exception of the idea that everyone should be armed to the teeth, republican initiatives are exclusively aimed at taking something away from somebody, forcing somebody to do something or excluding somebody . Right or wrong, the democratic platform is about nurturing people, tolerating people and including people.

You know.........all those insidious progressive attitudes!

If republicans had anything to offer a majority of voters, they could win in a fair election and wouldn't have to stoop to this sort of thing.

I suppose we'll have to deal with these twisted attempts to gain and consolidate power until there are enough normal people to outvote and overcome the machinations of these warped ideologues. With the new, skewed rules, it will probably take the whole 99% and it will take way, way too long.

Getting too old for this s**t!

Crux

swiss cheese

Postby Crux » 2013 Jan 23 19:04

"Right or wrong, the democratic platform is about nurturing people, tolerating people and including people."
-well intentioned author

full of holes

Keep dreaming the dream coondog. Sometimes I almost think there's hope for you, barely, briefly. Your quote is so much unicorn tusk, pie in sky, and pixie dust. :sleepy:

Coondog

unicorn tusk, pie in sky, and pixie dust

Postby Coondog » 2013 Jan 24 11:19

OK! So I occasionally go all Opera......or Oprah....over this stuff!

But, I was weaned on unicorn tusk, pie in sky, and pixie dust.

In spite of that (and the rest of what hapened in the 60's) I remember some things. I remember 5th grade history when we learned about the proud traditions of Virginia.....home to enough presidents, founders and dead confederate generals to form a spontaneous street mosh.

Today, and ever since the current Governor took over, we find Virginia making national news for regressive legislation about social issues and the butt of late night comedy routines for rediculous lack of propriety. Really embarassing!

The problem these days is a shortage of unicorn tusk, pie in sky, and pixie dust! Ah....Woodstock!

coondog :pompom:

I get no respect. The way my luck is running, if I was a politician I would be honest.
Rodney Dangerfield

Crux

Save a little ire for the other side.

Postby Crux » 2013 Jan 25 12:33

I cited Obamacare as an example of really smarmy political play in relation to the OUTRAGE you expressed over the Virginia redistricting thing. There are many other examples, like legislators leaving the state to avoid votes on Labor policy.

Just yesterday and today you have Federal Courts smacking down Obama's illegal "recess" appointments, that weren't.
Hillary's faked emotion and crying out, "What does it matter!" who or why our SEALS/Ambassador were killed, or why the American People were so OBVIOUSLY lied to and the coverups surrounding Benghazi...

You really are so foolish to me 'dog. I know you like pot, love, and peace and all but GOD. Easy on the indignation thing when it comes to redistricting games. I do not expect Virginia's GOP reps did anything that will not be upheld in court. We can find plenty of redistricting shenanigans that WERE overturned in courts of law. Guess what. You will mostly and more quickly find Demoncat examples my friend.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Jan 25 14:55

Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
John F. Kennedy

Likely our FORMER seals/Ambassador were killed because bullets and fire are injurious to the human body.

Whether or not the social gathering outside the consulate began as a protest or a consolidated attack matters not. As you were told by the Madam Secretary.

As they were monitoring various levels of activity outside embasies all over the world at the same time, perhaps an erroneous assumption was initially made. OR Maybe they WERE protestors who have their own unique way of getting their point across. We won't know til we catch them and ask them!

Note to Rand Paul Fans: I guess the sniveling little dirtbag would have fired Condelesa Rice, too. After all....she DID read the memo.

Note to Boener fans: If Hillary was faking it, Boener must also be faking it. Or maybe he's just a pansy?

Coondog :hammer:

Take a hint from Bobby Jindel and don't be stupid.

Or......take a lesson fron Cannoneer and use your own head instead of simply parroting someone elses' jibberish.

Or.....

Or.....

Crux

Benghazi is thick.

Postby Crux » 2013 Jan 25 18:51

Far thicker than the human scull.

Buck Turgidson

Re: Save a little ire for the other side.

Postby Buck Turgidson » 2013 Feb 18 08:30

crux wrote:.. or why our SEALS/Ambassador were killed, or why the American People were so OBVIOUSLY lied to and the coverups surrounding Benghazi...

Crux

Buck-Buck-Buck or Kluck-Kluck-Kluck

Postby Crux » 2013 Feb 18 09:26

I see your graphic, and it points out the ABJECT FAILURE that was "Benghazi". Islamic radicals and Al Quieda have been attacking our embassies for years, and on the 11th anniversary of September 11, when the flag went up, 4 Americans, the first Ambassador killed in 30 years, his chief of staff, and two CIA contractors, former US Navy SEALS were killed.
Requests for security in the weeks prior went unheeded, in fact U.S. security was withdrawn on one hand, and on the other, farmed out to the February 13th Martyrs Brigade, a group with ties to the very attackers who we abandoned our people to!!

***** this is key *****4 minutes of more recent recap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1NbtQGTDCM
Ty Woods last thoughts: "I thought they'd come..." Buck you are so so lost...

Buck you have never tried to understand this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTfyN-PGIDk This is a good 12 minutes worth watching on this topic. Pirro is sharp, and laws it out nicely. Perhaps you missed it. Commentary worth listening to. With her 4 minutes in is The Father and Siblings of Ty Woods, SEAL killed, abandoned by President Barrack Obama. You may not have paid attention then, but you do have the capacity to get up to speed on this. We have learned so much since this older contemporaneous video...

:shakeh:
_______

Regarding your silly graphic Buck:
How many staff, US Military security or SEALS, or Ambassadors were killed?

Dude.

Obama made a political calculation. This was not negligence. He had a scheduled briefing with Panetta at 5pm, some 45 minutes after the first attack, and then Barry was AWOL.

The Commander in Chief did not give the Order, "Rescue Them!"

Have you not been interested in following this at all Buck?

Our Ambassador was sodomized, and killed by Al Quieda, and our Seals did not stand down as ordered and SAVED 30+ of our personnel. One of our SEALs was killed by mortar fire SEVEN HOURS into his defensive action. ABANDONED and killed on a rooftop... No armed drone? No Delta team? Our SEAL had the mortars targeted, and no guided bomb or C130...

Are you aware of this Buck?

Buck Turgidson. We have multiple assets READY. Obama was NOT AVAILABLE, but informed?? No he made his call and calculation. It is what it is my friend. Don't even try to Juggler out on this with some dumb pic-to-graphic... :twisted:

The head of Africom General Ham, and a Fleet commander Rear Admiral Charles M. Gaouette were FIRED! RELIEVED OF DUTY! They dared to question Obama's order to stand down... YOU FIGURE IT OUT.

Have you tried Buck?

"According to our sources, General Ham received copies of the e-mails that had been sent to the White House from Benghazi, requesting military support at the Consulate and the Annex after the attacks began. General Ham had a rapid response unit ready to deploy and communicated that to the Pentagon. He then received the order to stand down. His response to the Pentagon was essentially that he could not do that. Within a few minutes after sending that response, his second in command told General Ham that he was relieved of his command, effectively immediately.

On Saturday, October 27, Panetta confirmed that General Ham had been relieved of his assignment."

This is what a cover up looks like. Show me one, JUST ONE of those Americans, RESCUED by our SEALS, who have been interviewed or made ANY public statements, other than perhaps ONE wounded bedside survivor that PRAISED our SEALS for saving that Staffer...

-crux-

Folks, you will have to decide if Buck is worthy counsel on this business... I have my view. :typ:

Coondog

Lost Weekend

Postby Coondog » 2013 Feb 18 12:10

Well

Somebody spent a lot of time in the world of literary fantasy over the weekend. The limitations imposed by cold weather on outdoor firearm practice must have inspired hours of reading, and more hours of repeating; some of the most inventive fiction currently available on the internet.

Fascinating stuff!

Being a fan of Zombies, I particularly enjoyed the chapter on 'sodomy'. There are some questions, though, I haven't been able to get satisfactory answers to. Do we refer to ex-SEALS as SEALS the same way we refer to ex-Governors; by their titles in former occupations?

And....why is John McCain asking Obama about what happened when the sibblings of Ty Woods seem to already know everything?

And...............................

I have to wonder why Buck failed to mention the over 4,000 dead Americans in Iraq. Is this some sort of cover up?
Why has no one been held accountable for that? Where was Buck when all this was going on? Who did he talk to?

I don't know what it is he's not telling us, or why. But, I know we're not getting all the facts from Buck about Iraq.

And, I'm not going to pay my electric bill until he comes clean about it!

Crux

Last Weekend

Postby Crux » 2013 Feb 18 12:16

coondog wrote:Well

Somebody spent a lot of time in the world of literary fantasy over the weekend. The limitations imposed by cold weather on outdoor firearm practice must have inspired hours of reading, and more hours of repeating; some of the most inventive fiction currently available on the internet.

Fascinating stuff!

I can't get into Zombies.
...or Big Bang Theory...
Dog, what is the one or two most inventive fictions I peddled???
I mean you have the NRA/KKK/CYA hypothesis hanging hither, and yawn...

coondog. I am trying to wake you up and bring you into the light of logic, honest observations and love...
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Cold? Hardly, son. I was helping a neighbor move into a new apartment, and sweating!
Life on a second floor doesn't appeal to me, but the rent was cheap so...

Cripes if gas is up 50 cent in a month back to near 4$/gallon ya gotta do.

Dog it is a big ball of wax. 4,0000 dead in Iraq, 4,000 in Afghanistan, 4-6 years too long, 220 billion a year for a decade, 2.2 trillion spent, divided equally between wars...

We can break it down anyway you wish.
What's cold is heating with emergency-heat when it's 6 outside!

Crux

Truth and Reality

Postby Crux » 2013 Feb 19 11:48

Science. Philosophy. The Divine. Non violence. Decentralization. Volunteerism. Liberty. Local decision making. Democracy and representative government. Private property and public good. The Good Society. Philanthropy. Education and Ego.

We are imperfect and challenged Human Beings. We ask the the big questions. We look to others and within ourselves and to the divine to guide us. We learn and seek to unlearn. We believe and hold opinion. It plays out here...

The ability of self analysis and rational logical thought is challenging and our social construct and self governance is at issue.

I wish you well, truly, whoever reads these words. We might choose to go Buddhist, Agnostic, Christian or Pagan, or even embrace the humor of the great Spaghetti Monster in the Sky!! It is very important that we grapple with Truth and Reality. This is my dedication as a free thinking and caring soul!! Our individual quest matters more deeply than you might believe.

I would like the world and our struggle individually and collectively to evolve and grow, and I believe in truth and freedom.
We argue and carry on. We can post whatever pithy image, or quote, or public statement or political perspective but to what avail? I argue it is to make things BETTER, and to have what's worthy be UNDERSTOOD. Truth, righteousness, and US...

I would like to thank EVERYONE who has engaged with me for my time here. I hope you continue to be part of the positive.

crux
____

I leave you with a gift. There are certain voices and persons we wish folks would listen to and consider. This man I wish could live 1,000 years so that perhaps a better world could take hold. No one has all the answers I know, but I place this philosopher before you. Here is something worlds better that "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!" on NPR!!

Seriously. Keep searching for the bottom line.

THIS specifically to start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEndLctWQ-c Take the time and have a care.

...for me, EVERYTHING is connected. Uji made a Unilateralist attempt in his Human all too Human thread. "Get off the treadmill of the repetitive bull of the past..." Wish we could, but treadmills provide so much exercise for the shut-in!

Peace. Now, let's get on with it.

c

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Oct 26 17:10

Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?