Foreign Policy

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Coondog

Foreign Policy

Postby Coondog » 2012 Apr 19 15:27

I'm a bit confused!

North Korea attempted to launch a missile. It occupied the news for about a week and had Washington astir with trepidation, recriminations and hissy fits. This week, India launched a similar missile. The only difference I can see is that India's missile wasn't a dud.

Now, besides the fact that India is supposed to be our friend and N. Korea is supposed to be our foe, and despite all the accompanying reserved or expressed value judgements ......

.....shouldn't the principle concerning missile launches be basically the same?

Coondog :dontknow:

Crux

Let me educate you.

Postby Crux » 2012 Apr 19 21:29

Your mind is clouded with one of the several banes of the Progressive Psyche....

MORAL EQUIVALENCY
A really STUPID VACUOUS IDEAL.

This isn't about a Liberal Arts education in Anthropology DUDE. India is free nation that is, ehwww, a DEMOCRACY, and is bounded by Communist China and Islamist Pakistan, and we could go on and on!!

North Korea is a fanatical wildcard that threatens the world as proxy to China, with nuclear and missile technology for sale to the highest bidder!! (kinda like Clinton) MY GOD MAN GROW UP AND WAKE THE HELL UP.

Geez you guys are DANGEROUS!!

atomic crux

Coondog

Re: Foreign Policy

Postby Coondog » 2012 Apr 20 13:23

Thank you for that explanation, however, it appears that it falls within the context of who is our friend and who isn't.

It seems that development of potential nuclear technological advancement is either condoned or condemned based on that perspective alone. While it makes sense to us to discriminate in this regard as to whether a country is a democracy or not......that subtle distinction may be lost on non-democracies intent upon seeking the same international technological respect as stated to have been sought by India.

Coondog :hum:

Everybody wants to be a star!

Crux

concruxious say...

Postby Crux » 2012 Apr 20 18:48

Good stuff Dog. Look it matters who your friends are and how force is used matters. In the TM/Z case or a Nuclear Exchange/Attack. All things ARE NOT EQUAL. This is the point. Moral Equivalency Sucks my friend. On the local level we have polite, and laws of self defense. On National levels we have Defense forces, Force and The desire to protect Sovereignty and our lives. Same thing. It is not the gun Man. It is the way the tool is used. Brandishing a firearm is a crime. Brandishing might get you killed or attacked on the individual level or the National level. You are on the right path to understanding Little Brother...

concruxious ca2012

We will leave it on the hopeful note of your edification in truth and understanding. Good luck with the thread coon'dog.

Buck Turgidson

Postby Buck Turgidson » 2012 Apr 23 16:44

It would appear that either USA or Israel has mounted another cyber warfare attack on Iran.

A few megabytes of software launched onto the internet can pack as much destructive power as Billions of dollars worth of bombs, airplanes/missiles and military personnel transported overseas.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Jun 14 09:36

Charles W Freeman, in "Too Quick on the Draw" wrote:South America no longer defers to us. Russia is again hostile. Europe questions our judgment, is audibly disturbed by our belligerence, and is distancing itself from our leadership. A disintegrating Middle East seethes with vengeful contempt for the United States. Africa ignores us. Our lust for India remains unrequited. China has come to see us as implacably hostile to its rise and is focused on countering our perceived efforts to hem it in. Japan is reviewing its inner samurai. Some say all these adversities are upon us because we are not sufficiently brutal in our approach to foreign affairs and that, to be taken seriously or to be effective, we must bomb, strafe, or use drones to assassinate those with whom we disagree and let the collateral damage fall where it may. But what we have actually proved is that, if you are sufficiently indifferent to the interests of others and throw your weight around enough, you can turn off practically everybody.

This is an excerpt from Ambassador Freeman's excellent article. He's tops among clear thinkers.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Jun 14 10:46

An thoughtful, insightful article. Thanks for posting.

My only quibble is that I can't agree with Amb. Freeman's final prescription of a more professionalized diplomatic corps. In the final analysis, that group takes its orders from the policy maker politicians, who in turn are driven by the demands of the big donors and corporations who finance their campaigns. These are the folks who benefit from American imperialism and hegemony, and so U.S. interaction with the rest of the world is not likely to change anytime soon. Our problems as a nation run very, very deep. A good start at addressing them might be for our people to recognize we're not so exceptional and that the current state of our democracy and way of life is nothing to brag about.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Jun 14 11:26

Your point regarding "taking orders from policy making politicians" is certainly correct.

However, my take on his article is that he wants to reduce counterproductive misdirection now generated by too many such people, by cutting many of them out of the loop. Yes, of course we need and will always have political control/influence from the President at the top, but I think he was talking about something a little different.

Just as the effectiveness of the German army was degraded by inserting SS Nazi policy overlords into the ranks of the professional army, so also is the quality of US diplomacy degraded by inserting lower-level political appointments into the ranks of the State Department and especially other agencies with military affiliations that have taken over many diplomatic and intelligence functions formerly State Department's. (Perspective gleaned from my father-in-law, from his years as a Panzerkommandant in the Wehrmacht, is instructive.)

The collective culture of the US government has thereby been skewed. Objective data- and experience-driven professional diplomatic skills have been displaced by militaristic overrides and ideological bluster.

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Jun 14 11:56

Agree about the pernicious influence of the military in the foreign affairs establishment, particularly in the Intelligence Community (IC). Within the National Agency triad, the DIA is basically a Pentagon annex, the NSA is traditionally a military enterprise, and the CIA is led by military brass from time to time. Even the Office of the Director of National Intelligence — which was created by Bush and is supposed to oversee the IC, but without budget authority :hammer: — has often been led by a military man or one closely associated with the military.

We should have heeded Eisenhower's warning. Your "if your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" is never more true than in this case.

p.s., With a Panzerkommandant as a prospective father-in-law, courting your sweetie must have been rather stressful. :smile3:

Crux

In Mexico

Postby Crux » 2016 Aug 31 20:40

Trump took a bold bold move and went to Mexico. He looked and sounded good, and he upstaged shrill Hill who gawked and squawked.

"That's not how it's done!" she lamented. That is EXACTLY how it's done. Trump came out on top. Big speech tomorrow on immigration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/31/us/po ... exico.html

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2016 Sep 01 13:01

Regarding Donald Trump's Visit to Mexico Yesterday

They’re laughing at us, at our stupidity. Mexico has become a dumping ground for our Donald Trump problem.

When the United States sends its presidential candidates, we’re not sending our best. We're sending a candidate that has lots of problems. He's taking lying, tax cheating, bullying, bigotry, and libertine hedonism to them. And sometimes if rarely, I assume he's a good person.

And it’s got to stop and it’s got to stop fast.

Crux

Wrong

Postby Crux » 2016 Sep 01 15:45

They are not laughing at us. Mexico is a GREAT NATION, with more potential than just about any land on EARTH. I cry for Mexico....

Mexico will be great again. Count on it. The Democrat Open Borders approach should be rejected by you, wiseone.

Private Prisons anyone???

Trump will HELP THEM. Trump is supported by more women, blacks, and Hispanics than you guess.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2016 Sep 01 22:49

Again, humor is totally over your head.

Those words closely paraphrase Donald Trumps own words in his infamous slur against Mexicans.

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2016 Sep 01 23:06

Crux

My Little Brother and RR

Postby Crux » 2016 Sep 02 12:03

Both are a bit vapid, shallow, bigoted, prone to simpleminded personal attack and not very funny.

Might as well throw the not so funny wiseone in there too. I caught the shtick, it wasn't funny....