Your Election May Last more than 4 Hours

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Crux

Why even have a budget?

Postby Crux » 2012 Nov 12 08:05

coondog wrote:
A continuing resolution ... provides funding for existing federal programs at current or reduced levels.

Those who relentlessly carp over the lack of a 'budget' appear to know little or nothing about how government operates.

Now, do these continuing resolutions NOT include the monies for automatic spending increases? Base line budgeting? Oh you bet they do, as spending at the Federal level has INCREASED year over year without budgets being passed. That is the game. I understand the appeal for the Democrat mind. NO amount of spending seems to be TOO much. If there is no harm no foul, Obama would not have proposed a budget. No one would... Just exist with an endless continuing resolution. Year One, the Dems held the purse outright. They passed a budget and now, just sit back and play games. I understand that. Is it responsible? No. Is it fine by their constituents? Sure.

Coondog

Facts

Postby Coondog » 2012 Nov 12 11:14

Here are the average spending increases per year in raw dollars (not adjusted for inflation) in descending order by president:

President
Fiscal year baseline
Last fiscal year
Average percentage increase per year

Carter 1977 1981 16.4
Nixon 1969 1975 13.5
Johnson 1964 1969 11.0
George W. Bush 2001 2009 10.2
Reagan 1981 1989 8.6
Kennedy 1961 1964 7.1
George H.W. Bush 1989 1993 5.8
Clinton 1993 2001 4.0
Eisenhower 1953 1961 3.6
Obama 2009 2013 1.4

So, using raw dollars, Obama did oversee the lowest annual increases in spending of any president in 60 years.

Here are the results using inflation-adjusted figures:

President
Fiscal year baseline
Last fiscal year
Average percentage increase per year

Johnson 1964 1969 6.3
George W. Bush 2001 2009 5.9
Kennedy 1961 1964 4.7
Carter 1977 1981 4.2
Nixon 1969 1975 3.0
Reagan 1981 1989 2.7
George H.W. Bush 1989 1993 1.8
Clinton 1993 2001 1.5
Obama 2009 2013 -0.1
Eisenhower 1953 1961 -0.5

So, using inflation-adjusted dollars, Obama had the second-lowest increase -- in fact, he actually presided over a decrease once inflation is taken into account.

Wise One

Re: Your Election May Last more than 4 Hours

Postby Wise One » 2012 Nov 12 16:43

Oh, Coondog, you misguided pooch. Everybody knows that actual facts have a liberal bias so those arguments will get you nowhere with the likes of Crux. (But they sway me.)

Rightie railing over "failure to pass a budget" is amusing. Yes, a budget is useful and it's too bad we don't have an agreed one to guide appropriations. But the following facts must be recognized:
  • There is no Constitutional requirement for a budget
  • There is a Constitutional requirement for appropriations. Somehow Republicans and Democrats keep passing appropriations bills, if tortuously
  • The main reason there is no budget is that Republicans adamantly block its passage
  • Clean and conventional appropriations bills have often eluded the Congress because of Republican intransigence
  • Hence, "continuing resolutions," a special kind of appropriations bill that agrees to spend at some fraction of last year's appropriation until revised appropriations bills can be worked out and agreed to
  • No, "continuing resolutions" seldom allow for spending above levels agreed in the prior year's appropriations bills.
:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2012 Nov 13 11:21

Gee, I thought Republicans just loved voter suppression. I was wrong, once anyway.
Here's a case where a man who tried to suppress only his own vote, and met near-lethal Republican rage.

PS. Take heart, Republicans. More of you appear to realize that being stridently and willfully stupid is not a winning proposition for the long term. Is there perhaps the faintest of hopes for a second party after all?

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2012 Nov 13 17:53

All right!

Our good friends on the conservative side are having enough trouble trying to figure out who they are.

They don't need or appreciate our help. History tells us nothing we say makes a slight impression, anyhow. So the humane thing to do is let them sort it out among themselves. Detached observance is not only amusing, but also sets a good example.

Now that they have a good old Nancy Grace style sex scandal to wrap themselves up in, it's best to let them wallow in their post-defeat theropy of getting to the bottom of who knew what and when.

To be fair, the CIA and FBI probably have stuff they're not telling us. Who better to ferret out and shine a light on all these troubling cover-ups?

:pat: Coondog

30,000 e-mails? Really?

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2013 Oct 23 23:58

Hey, here it is almost a year after the last posting on this topic. We have important elections coming up.

The silence here on the Forum is deafening.

Is there opinion, you know, about the batshit-crazy candidate and the sane candidate?

Or is it that nobody gives a rat's ass about elections this time around?

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Oct 24 07:25

I am most certainly underwhelmed with the choice of candidates for Governor. Voting the lesser of 2 evils is still voting for evil. All I know is that Cuccinelli will never get my vote. I'm down to McAuliffe (major yawn and great distrust) and the Libertarian Robert Sarvis. The Democrat will likely get my vote. The Libertarian Party has gone far too far to the right (sadly) to even be considered vote-worthy. Heck, I even cancelled my long-standing subscription to the Libertarian newsletter. Their last few letters were just too dang tea-baggish for my taste and beliefs.

:tongue3:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Crux

Postby Crux » 2013 Oct 24 19:40

Fangz why don't you get more specific. "Tea baggish"? What the heck do you mean? The Tea Party advocates APPROPRIATE government, LIBERTARIAN ideals, less OPPRESSIVE government, lower taxes, etc... I really wish you would FO-CUS and not just CUS...

Give just ONE teeny example. OF COURSE you are gonna vote for the Smarmy Terry. Disgusting.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Oct 25 07:33

The Libertarians have become too extremist in their views. They would (and do) advocate for the destruction of the social safety net. They advocate the dismantling of Medicare and Social Security...calling them entitlements just like the Tea Party does. These are earned benefits paid for through years of payroll deductions.

Unlike you, the Libertarians, and the Tea Party crowd, I am a fiscally conservative social liberal. In other words, I have a soul and a conscience!!!!!

Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Crux

Postby Crux » 2013 Oct 25 13:35

Oh I hardly would call the support of a run-away Federal Government "fiscally conservative".

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Oct 25 14:10

Crux.......

You miss the point and are too quick to jump to fictitious conclusions. I do not support the perpetual war state, corporate welfare, the drug war, agribusiness welfare, a bloated & growing defense budget. These places are where the government is run-away...all of the things you deem to be perfectly acceptable. You say you want no government........unless they are in the bedrooms & medicine cabinets of folks who disagree with your views. You say you want no government....unless they are spying on folks with whom you disagree. You would have a government that silences dissent, allows idiots to reign unfettered and held unaccountable, places women and minorities in positions of powerlessness (because you and your so called anti-government cronies) just can't tolerate people interfering with your fascist, tyrannical, dictatorial, archaic approach to religiously extreme rule.

You say this government is run-away? What a joke!!!! What's run-away are the extremists who would actually institute fascist rule under the guise of dismantling the republic. Go look in a damn mirror!!!

:director:

Crux

I can't possibly do your tantrum justice in one short post

Postby Crux » 2013 Oct 25 17:05

Whoa there Fangst...

I am totally into dissent my dear.

Don't get all in a huffy, just vote for Obama (Terry) if that's where your heart is!

Your post demonstrates two things. You don't really listen well, and you don't really discern well.

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2014 Jan 20 15:12

He may be more than a few cards short of a full deck, but is this a great political ad or what?

Crux

Elaborate Little Brother

Postby Crux » 2014 Jan 20 18:06

Based on that ad, I do not see where hr is a "few cards short of a full deck". I would ask you to explain, if you can, what you are referring to Little Brother.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Jan 20 20:14

Hmmm.
I don't know what Juggler had in mind, but when I heard the lead ammunition remark, any credibility went out the window.
Willfully Ignorant.

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Crux

Just some thoughts on lead.

Postby Crux » 2014 Jan 20 22:47

Obviously lead, concentrated at firing ranges, or say, inhaled by range workers or avid shooters is a health issue. Lead, as in a bullet here and there, is a smaller problem. Jacketed bullets, with a copper jacket are safer for the shooter and range worker. We have seen an increase in bullets made of different metals and even OTHER STUFF. Now as per hunting? Lead bullets scattered over the EARTH? Not nearly the worry. The whole WORLD is TOXIC. Take the Toyota PRIUS for example... Those BATTERIES are nasty stuff. The Left WILL seize upon LEAD to restrict guns and ammunition from public CONSUMPTION you better bet. Killing EAGLES with WINDMILLS? Oh, the EPA is down with that. Let's not pick and choose where CREDIBILITY flys out the window TOO selectively...

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2015 Aug 07 10:58

Another know-nothing remark by Crux. Lead let loose in refined form in the environment is taken up by many organisms, to their detriment and to the detriment of the entire ascending food chain. I love the Tim Donnelly ad but am very happy he lost resoundingly.

Now, to talk about more recent events, the debate last night among the top ten was notable in omitting the most accurate and compelling image I can conceive of. It would have been great, and wholly appropriate, for all ten Republican candidates to arrive in this car and tumble one by one onto the stage.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 Aug 07 14:23

Summary of the debate:

Q. What is your plan to fix [fill in the blank]?

A. My father was a turd miner and all we had to eat were turds and we were grateful for it. Hillary is a lying skank and Obama sucks!

Repeat 10 times and spit.

Coondog :typ:

Canine political correspondent for WDOG

Crux

Postby Crux » 2015 Aug 07 15:44

That debate drew 25 million, shattering records, and did not fail to entertain. I listened closely to the whole thing on the radio.

I would group them into top, middle and the bottom:

Carson
Trump
Rubio

Cruz
Paul
Huckabee

Kasich
Christie
Bush

Bigbux Stogeychomper

Postby Bigbux Stogeychomper » 2015 Aug 07 16:17

I like the comments of both Coondog and Crux.

I tried to rank the Republican candidates but I don't really know how to rank one turd higher than another, so thank you for your insight Crux.

:tiphat: