Streets in Lexington & Buena Vista

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Coondog

Re: Streets in Lexington & Buena Vista

Postby Coondog » 2013 Mar 18 15:08

Welcome back to the fray, Lex rick. It's been a while.

And, since our resident ultraconservative went on sabbatical (as such ilk is wont to do), too too quiet.

Anyhow, you have hit on a poinient concern. What ABOUT those delivery trucks? I view delivery trucks as a good thing. It's commerce. It's productivity. Those trucks bring in the few items still in demand in the downtown area. Inconvenient, you bet! But, I'd rather give up a lane to them than.....well, I'll lay off the bicycles for today.

In case you haven't been following current events, the diagonal parking got like zero community support, so the focus has diverted to other things that will cost money and look goofy, but will contribute nil to the local economy.....or lack thereof.

Coondog is of the 'Fix what's broke, not what ain't' persuasion. Other perspectives may be needed....as long at they don't involve obolisks or giant snake exhibits!

Coondog :thumbup:

Coondog

Update

Postby Coondog » 2013 Apr 04 11:15

According to the most recent edition of the local paper mache maker, the City of Lexington is eyeballing a 6 cent increase in property taxes and a 3% increase in water & sewer rates.

Mention was made of the need to pay for the 'Main to Maury' debacle. Other items include carpeting for Waddell school, which is slated to be replaced and money for a consulting firm for choosing a new city manager.

Another consulting firm? Coondog wonders whose back pocket THEY'RE going to materialize out of.

So, to be clear.......Straits are so unfathomably dire that a 7 & 3/4 per cent rise in property taxes is necessitated, but we can afford $5,000 for bicycle arrows and high priced consultants out the ying yang?

I saw one of those bicycle riders the other day. I don't know where the other four were, but it was freezing cold and this intrepid fellow was pedaling along in his multicolored spandex ON THE SIDEWALK.

Now, one is hard pressed to argue that elementary and middle schools around here don't need olympic style gymnasiums. Maybe it will, somehow, make future civic leaders a bit smarter about prioritizing expenditures and a little less intent on building monuments to themselves with tax revenues and utilitiy fees.

Coondog :curse:

There are still a few people who actually strive to make a living here who don't view 7 & 3/4 per cent tax hikes as pocket change. Maybe we need to hire a consulting firm to determine just how many there are?

Coondog

Eyesores

Postby Coondog » 2013 May 17 12:54

South Main Street is now peppered with giant logos of bicycles and arrows, about every 50 to 100 feet. Right in the middle of each lane.

Are we to understand that this is where bicycles are to be ridden? Are we to understand that bicycle riders must be reminded every 50' of it?

It's ridiculous and embarrassing that the main arteries of a once attractive city are to be defaced in this manner.

Coondog

Stupid is as stupid does!!!!!!!!!!

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 May 17 14:19

I'm somewhat taken aback by your reaction to this, Coodog. You're usually such a level-headed pooch.

As the bicycle said to the automobile, "Can't we all just be friends?"

(PS. It's not the bike riders who need the reminder. Car drivers are seldom killed when car and bike collide.)
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Coondog

Seriously?

Postby Coondog » 2013 May 18 11:08

C'mon! You're supposed to be the Wise One. Have you actually SEEN this absurd example of graffiti? You want to talk safety? Stop Signs aren't half that big......and they're not in the middle of the road!

Besides being visually cluttering and unappealing, I fail to see how making mororists aware that bicycles exist every half block serves a higher purpose where maybe one or two bike riders are to be found in an entire day.

It was said in print, by some biking advocate, that these were necessary as bicycle riders would be attracted to these giant distractions thus bringing wealth and prosperity to the populace. Or else they would boycott Lexington like a southern civil war reenactor. So what?

It begs the question.......how do bikers find the beginning of these arrows (or sherpas or whatever you call them) without arrows to guide them and where do they go when the arrows end? We may never know unless we stop one of the half dozen mayoral appointee local bike riders and ask them. They can typically be found riding on the sidewalks!

This farce was brought about by the same bozos who wanted to make Main Street one lane to accomodate a bike lane. Now that $5,000 has been wasted to ugly up a main thoroughfare, part of a subsequent tax rate increase, one can only immagine what council will allow the next officially appointed special interest group of six people to do to squander tax dollars and make Lexington less attractive............. and more laughable.

Coondog

Obolisks in the middle of the street would be less of an eyesore and make about as much sense sense.

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2013 May 18 12:53

Sounds to me like Coondog's objections might be answered best by creative artistic embellishment of the new markers.

They could then serve not only the intended function, but also a public purpose in prettifying up the place !!

Coondog

Although some colorful ideas come to mind.....

Postby Coondog » 2013 May 20 16:40

I would suggest that any attempt to turn this pigs ear into a silk purse through individual citizen initative (ie: enhanced creative artwork) would likely be at odds with certain existing ordinances and public figures who are less subtle and more well armed than the bicycle committee. :police:

Coondog

On the other hand.......................

Trend Setter

Postby Trend Setter » 2014 Jun 24 00:47

TASHA WALSH of Lexington wrote:Give Cyclists 3 Feet When Passing
June 16, 2014
Editor, The News-Gazette:
I want to thank all of the car and truck drivers who don’t hit cyclists. I cycle frequently for fun in this beautiful area we live in, and most drivers on the country roads are very friendly and courteous, and we share the road with no trouble. I also commute by bicycle into Lexington from my home on Turkey Hill Road quite frequently, and while riding into town on North Main can be very challenging due to the parked cars, and now the construction, again – most drivers are very courteous. Yet it only takes one driver to seriously injure a cyclist, as happened on U.S. 11 recently.

There are many area residents, like me, who love to cycle this gorgeous place. Rockbridge County and the city of Lexington also sit on the route of U.S. Bicycle Route 76. This is a cross country road cycling route that stretches from Yorktown to Oregon. Hundreds of cyclists from all over the world travel this route every year, and they all come right through the center of the county and Main Street through Lexington. We also get professional cyclists groups who come here from Canada and other areas to train every year, and many other tourists who enjoy cycling in our beautiful area. Cycling is good for our local economy.

In the state of Virginia, the law allows cyclists to ride on the roads (except for interstate highways) in the same way cars do, and cyclists are supposed to obey the same traffic laws. The Virginia state legislature recently passed a law that requires automobiles to allow 3 feet between the vehicle and the cyclist when passing. The League of American Bicyclists has a traffic safety skills course that teaches cyclists the safest way to share the roads as a part of traffic, and drivers’ education courses now include information about sharing the road with cyclists safely. By law, we have to share the road.

So, thank you courteous and careful drivers. And for those drivers who may be tempted to not be so courteous to cyclists, please keep in mind that cyclists are not trying to annoy you. We are just trying to get some exercise, enjoy the outside, go somewhere and stay safe. Please don’t try to pass us unless you can safely give 3 feet of clearance – including any trailer you may be pulling. After all, my bicycle and I are easier to pass than a farm vehicle, and even if you have to wait a few seconds to pass me, you’ll still get where you’re going faster than I will – and we both want to get there in one, unbroken piece.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2014 Jun 24 13:54

What happened on Rt. #11 should never have happened as at least one of the contestants should not have been allowed on the road in the first place. What will happen to that participant will not be any more pleasant than what happened to the other. It should be equally unpleasant for the minions of judicial law enforcement who, by neglectful inaction, enabled that catastrophic event.....but that won't happen.

To be sure, bicycles, like extraterrestrials, are among us......and often as difficult to spot.
.....cyclists are supposed to obey the same traffic laws.

Would that that were the case. Giving 3 feet clearance to a bicyclist would put a driver on a direct collision course with the other one riding right beside him or her. As bicyclist #1 is already 6 feet from the side of the road, it is found to be prudent to wait for the opposite lane to clear before attempting to pass. This may take tens of miles if you're, say, on Rt. #39, but, patience is said to be a virtue. And...Coondog has a high tolerance for annoyance and a respect for human life. Even where republicans are concerned!

Remember. Country roads are particularly hazardous, as there are no sidewalks for the persistent peddlers to ride on.

Coondog :coffee:

Chasing them and nipping their ankles used to be such fun.

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2014 Jun 24 15:37