Streets in Lexington & Buena Vista

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
whatever

a one way street in BV HAHAHAHAH

Postby whatever » 2011 Sep 20 22:22

can you believe this??? and get this, it's only a BLOCK long!!!!! how stupid can a city, or whatever it's called, to have only ONE BLOCK, ONE WAY...this is such a hoot!!! i wonder who did whom a favor to get this asinine thing approved??!!?!!?!?!? :twisted: :upset:

Crux

The One, way BEAT in DC HAHAHAHAH

Postby Crux » 2011 Sep 21 08:56

DUDE! Really want your blood to boil?? Look into the "Fast and Furious" gun scandal and also "Solyndra"...
BO and Holder are going down. They deserve no less.

BREAKING***Holder mentioned for first time in FAST AND FURIOUS audio disclosures***also***Solyndra Execs likely to PLEAD THE FIFTH today***AMERICA pays attention more fully***"Whatever" STILL ON THE FENCE***

your friendly neighborhood crux
crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

fangz1956

Re: a one way street in BV HAHAHAHAH

Postby fangz1956 » 2011 Sep 21 16:10

Crux,

Would it kill you to stay on the topic of the thread????? Your reply has ZERO to do with the very local affair of a one-way street in a local town. There is a thread (actually several threads) for your continuous stream of of Obama and Federal government rants. Please do not attempt to derail EVERY discussion on the board with your Obama hate-speech.

:coffee:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Crux

Re: a one way street in BV HAHAHAHAH and staying on topic.

Postby Crux » 2011 Sep 21 19:31

That was very level headed Fangz. HATE SPEECH is strong though. I mean, there are several one way streets in BV. One block long at that probably. Either it is a traffic flow thing, a lack of money, improper setbacks, established along some PRIOR zoning guidance... WHATEVER. Tell me you care.

I just think our new poster might have GREATER considerations in this life and these times, than his current concern!

(I happen to think you agree with me on this too...) :geek: HATE SPEECH? Whatever came here just full of Christian bashing (hate if you will), and BV hate (bashing). Soon he will be onto bashing the BV Christians. I do not HATE.

There is NO LACK of subjective hate going on in this forum. I deal with it. So should you. By the way I am seriously considering calling my contribution to this forum adequate, soon. I can not believe it is getting near one year here.

I know that you probably think it has been like FIVE. I think I will enjoy the election year ROCKFO FREE. If I do, I will perhaps check in to see how all the Leftists here took the bad and sobering news...

crux
crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

whatever

Postby whatever » 2011 Sep 23 21:39

not bashing anything/one...just your psycho babble :razz:

Firebringer

Postby Firebringer » 2011 Dec 27 07:14

The one way street is somewhat idiotic. What next, angled parking?

Coondog

A Main to Mayhem Scheme

Postby Coondog » 2012 Jan 19 17:23

One must be endowed with no small measure of fascination having read about the "Main to Maury" brainchild of Mayor Mimi Elrod and Chamber of Commerce executive director Sammy Moore in the Jan. 18th issue ot the News Gazoo (page 2).

This concept of "downtown enhancement" as proffered by Mimi and Sammy (which will henceforth be referred to as The Mammy Plan) envisions sweeping redevelopment of Main Street from the Stonewall Jackson Cemetery to Henry Street and includes elimination of parking on the East side of the street, diagonal parking on the West side (Mayberry Style)among "bump outs" for trees and, presumably, outdoor dining and bike trails.

A steering committed has already been conjured up and Council will be hit up for money for more study of parking and traffic patterns and plans and whatnot.

The first image that comes to mind is our aged and potentially homocidal driving demographic backing blindy into oncoming traffic from a diagonal parking space on a Friday afternoon. The screech of tires and sound of crumpling metal might blend well with the clinking of tableware and that clicking sound made by bicycles as they weave their way among diners, trees and other obstacles on their way to Jordan's Point to enjoy the whitewater rapids experience also under reconsideration.

But before yet more money is shelled out for another traffic pattern and parking survey to another expensive consulting firm whose recommendation will undoubtedly find itself comfortably enshrined in some file cabinet among the other 100 surveys bought and paid for, let us turn back to the headlines on page 1.

Lexington Facing $706,000 Shortfall! In the face of the anticipated wide gap between revenues and expenditures, how imperative is funding for a vision of utopian splendor such as the Mammy Plan? True......we have not had a major downtown renovation since the 1970s. Anybody remember what that was like? How would such a project affect businesses along Main Street? How would business owners take to implimentation of such a plan?

Well meaning souls might differ. Fortunately, the City is to hire a part-time employee to assist with the development of a business recruitment and retention plan for the downtown. We know this because it is reported right next to the Mammy Plan. We don't have a shortened name for this economic development plan so we'll just call it ED. A vision statement and action plan for ED is forthcoming. $13,000 (possibly part of the aforementioned shortfall) has been appropriated. Surveys will be updated and alalysed. Representatives of the Chamber of Commerce (is that Sammy?) are on board.

So.....we could ask the ED guy about the Mammy Plan.....if and when we get an ED guy (or gal). Maybe he (or she) will hire some consultants?

Surely there will be much discussion, money advanced, plans and schemes unveiled, arms twisted and demeanors tested in the evoloution of the dreams and aspirations of those continually intent on building monuments to themselves. It's a local passtime!

Coondog :coffee:

All this and no discussion of a City Flag?

Uji

Re: A Main to Mayhem Scheme

Postby Uji » 2012 Jan 20 17:01

coondog wrote:Lexington Facing $706,000 Shortfall! ...how imperative is funding for a vision of utopian splendor such as the Mammy Plan?

:clap:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2012 Jan 20 21:01

I get your point about a disconnect between ambition and resources. But maybe it's an idea worth exploring anyway.

The financial shortfall is an immediate problem that must be deal with immediately by measures for some combination of revenue enhancement and cost cutting.

The proposal is a long-term plan for mostly modest improvements as resources allow, relying largely on state/federal grants. Done smartly, it would improve the overall attractiveness and livability of Lexington (and its business climate and revenue) without pain to the taxpayer. The improvements seem modest (except for the whitewater park which ought to die quickly), and will not depend on newly generated operational revenue for viability. We shouldn't focus too much on the details at this point but a downtown that looks better, is more hospitable to pedestrians and cyclists, etc. is a great objective to point toward.

Buena Vista's Golf Course project approach was dumb, dumb – Lexington seems unlikely to entangle itself in such folly.

News Gazette wrote:'Main To Maury' Plan Touted By Elrod, Moore
A steering committee has been formed to study a downtown Lexington enhancement plan being called “Main to Maury.” “Main to Maury” is the brainchild of Mayor Mimi Elrod and Sammy Moore, executive director of the local chamber of commerce. Elrod had spoken about the concept at the Jan. 5 City Council meeting, and Elrod and Moore met with reporters Monday to discuss the plan further.

With more greenspace, bike lanes, outdoor dining and less traffic congestion, the plan, they said, will hopefully bring shoppers and businesses to the downtown and expand the downtown business area. It will also eventually connect the downtown to Jordans Point and the Maury River. Some of the changes suggested by Moore and Elrod include the removal of parking along the east side of Main Street from the cemetery to Henry Street and along the stonewall at Virginia Military Institute, replacing parallel parking with diagonal parking on the west side of Main Street, adding “bump outs” from the sidewalk into the street on the west side at key locations for outdoor dining and seating, adding trees and landscaping and creating shared bicycle lanes.

Moore called the concept a “downtown enhancement” project. He noted that although numerous private development projects had been completed in the downtown, such as the renovation of the historic Rockbridge County Courthouse, Dutch Inn, National Bank and other major landmarks, no public redevelopment had taken place since the 1970s. Elrod said she believes tying the downtown to the Maury River is of particular importance because “people love water.” She proposed the city reconsider an earlier suggestion to construct a whitewater park at Jordans Point. When discussed at a meeting about the Jordans Point Dam in 2008, the cost of such a water park was estimated at $750,000.

Elrod said that the idea had been discussed with members of Council and with the Planning Commission. Despite the Lexington budget crisis, Elrod said she believes it is important to continue to invest in the city. A steering committee on the project has been formed consisting of Elrod, Moore, Taylor Sanders, David Grist and Steve McAllister. The mayor said she intends to ask Council for funding from the contingency fund for study proposals that will look at such issues as parking and traffic patterns. Elrod expressed confidence that Lexington could obtain further grant funding for the project.
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

historyforall

Postby historyforall » 2012 Jan 23 04:31

We all have our ideas and at least someone is trying to think of some stuff to do. I once suggested they close Main St between Nelson and Washington and make it an outdoor walking area with vendors (kiosks), entertainers and food. These are popular in some other areas and would encourage a place for people to go and at least hang out. The real key to Lexington is finding and providing a place for kids and teens to go to. They need a place besides walking around Wal-Mart or hanging out in someones barn or field.
I believe in the rights and freedoms of a person even when I don't support them on a moral or fundamental basis.

Coondog

The Mayhem Continues

Postby Coondog » 2012 May 31 15:35

The Mammy Plan

So Lexington is in a financial bind......cutting wherever possible to attempt to make up for budget defecits. Raising the tax rate on Real Estate.

Meanwhile, City Council agrees to finance $56,000 for a STUDY to develop a downtown enhancement plan...or, The Main to Maury project. This, to refresh the conversation, involves presumable curbside diners, Mayberry style parking and a projected, currently non-existent, demand for bicycle traffic bent on arriving at Jordan Point.

First, what's all this predominance of catering to bicycle traffic? Coondog just answered a survey on the Rt. #60 corridor and half the questions pertained to bicycles!

Second, Lexington is an historic town. The fact that the downtown is much like it was when all the significant history happened is an enhancement to that historic appeal. Reconfiguring the sidewalks into a haven for a few bicycle enthusiests and providing a place for neo yuppies to loiter appears to me to be counter productive.

If this is supposed to be Paris......I don't speak French!

Those few businesses on the West side who will benefit from the private use of public property (the way Lyric residents now have exclusive use of public parking spaces) may think this is a good idea. Parallel parking now takes up 6' on either side of Main Street. That's 12' for those of you who attended Harvard. Diagonal parking requires from 16 to 18'. Thats of loss of 4 to 6 feet of roadway.....2 to 3 feet per lane. Where, in all this, are these bike lanes going to be? Viable? Coondog thinks not! What's supposed to be the return on this investment?

Third, $56,000? Once this expenditure is wasted, we will be exposed to the plans for the design of this fiasco....and the woefully underestimated projected cost. By then, it will be a done deal and we can look foreward to obstructed streets, exhorbitant tax increases and the ensuing chaos such a plan will ultimately yield.

The 6 month planning phase will allow time for us all to forget about the $56,000 (and ...... about that new employee position?). Isn't there going to be a vote of some sort between now and then?

Coondog :nono:

All these studies and nothing is ever learned! Maybe we can change the name from Main to Maury to.........the S & M Railroad!

Crux

The road to Utopia

Postby Crux » 2012 May 31 21:22

...in Lexington is paved with good intentions, costs $$$$, and results in fender benders.

Coondog

Re: Streets in Lexington & Buena Vista

Postby Coondog » 2012 Jun 06 14:40

According a letter posted in the recent Rockbridge Advocate from five members of a local biker gang who call themselves the Lexington Bike-Pedestrian Advisory Council....they're 100% in support with the idea.

The fact that the Advisory Council was appointed by the Mayor probably has nothing to do with the level of support.

Don't get me wrong! I have nothing against a bicycle as long as I'm not on it. Plus, one almost has to have some admiration for their complete and total distain for traffic regulations. Yet.....I must ask again, where is the compelling need and what are the economic benefits from such an expense. The down sides are imaginable. The up sides are not.

Coondog :nono:

The train has left the station. Where is Danzel Washington?

Coondog

Lexington Rising!

Postby Coondog » 2013 Mar 08 14:14

Now, what warped cat molester came up with that one?

Coondog reads in the local disposable drop cloth (also known as The News Gazette) about the crack of dawn amassing of neo-visionaries intent on ressurecting the hitherto defunct Main Street program and the anticipated formation of a department of redundancy department to achieve this initiative.

Lexington Rising!

As trite a cliche as one might imagine. Sounds a bit, though, like the emergence of some dark and malovelent force from the recesses of the deep come to visit mayhem and ruin on the unsuspecting, sleepy denizens of a once vibrant community.

Or, maybe its an apt moniker after all. Coondog skipped the cryptic rituals because, as much as a free breakfast (even a continental one) is always appreciated, 8:00 a.m. is sleepy time in dogpatch and that much self induced verbal indigestion that early in the day is inadvisable, at best, from a health perspective.

It is a good thing, I suppose, that since downtown Lexington is beginning to look like downtown Goshen, somebody wants to address the issue in a way that doesn't involve obolisks or bulging sidewalks. Or does it? Will yet another layer of rule making busybodies improve on the fact that most of the problems in downtown Lexington can be traced to the existing layers of rule making busybodies?

The fact is that existence in downtown Lexington is a miasma of committees designed to insure cookie-cutter adherence to the idea that emulating Colonial Williamsburg is the ultimate goal. Currently, expensive consultants are attempting to merge that philosophy with urban development concepts born of planned communities located somewhere to the North of the Mason Dixon line.

At some point, it must be realised that businesses will locate because they want to and people will come because they have a reason to want to. Bulging curbsides, bike lanes, water slides and overpriced locally grown vetgetables are not going to provide the inspiration or commercial vitality necessary to keep the lights on.

We are becoming a museum. A museum where the most fetching artifacts (the legacy of dead Confederate Generals) are kept in the basement away from public scrutiny. An inanimate collection of dust covered curiosities that closes at dusk.
No amount of coordinated sidewalk sales is going to make up for years of alienating the very demographics nessessary for sustainance.

Tourists can hope to escape with nothing more than a horrendously large ticket for overtime parking and the disappointment that the museum basement is not open to the public. Young people, whether student or otherwise, are simply not welcome and a well staffed police department (half of which are avid to manhandle the personage and automobiles of imagined offenders) stands ready to insure their tenure in the downtown area is both brief and unpleasant.

Potential business entrepreneurs face an avalanche of impediments beginnig with prohibitive rental prices and terminating in municiple regulatory purgatory.

Will a new version of LDDA address any of the real issues, or is this just another venue for the promulgation of the need for bicycle lanes?

Coondog :hum:

Somewhat skeptical about the whole idea.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 Mar 12 12:49

I have nothing against bicycle lanes, in fact I'm a huge bike fan and feel that according them a little respect is a good thing. Nor can I support any notion that the memorabilia of dead Confederates is, and always will be, our only positive attribute.

But I resonate with a feeling that Lexington is more than a little nuts over enforcement of trivial alcohol & traffic violations, and hectoring/abusing innocent yet fun-loving tourists who mistake our fair city for a hospitable town. Once. They'll never do it again.

In my view, it's the silly yet human stuff that makes a town attractive enough to want to visit and live in. Devoting a few parking spaces in the heart of Lexington to uses that make the town nicer and livelier is a good thing. Having to walk a block or two isn't the end of the world, and people will do so cheerfully if they are rewarded by life and vitality at the center of town.

Losing The Theater at Lime Kiln? Now that's a tragedy. It'll have negative repercussions on the town and its businesses for years.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Mar 12 14:39

I have no problem with bicycles, either, until they block the road and refuse to friggin' MOVe!

But as I traverse the streets of Lexington, I see few bicycles. The ones I do see don't much obey standard traffic rules, anyway. If a bicycle lane would confine bicycles to bicycle lanes, then I think they're a dandy idea.

Does the lack of bicycle lanes account for the lack of an abundance of bicycles on the streets? If so, then maybe that's a good thing.

Here's how bicycling works. Bike rider comes upon three cars stopped at a red light. Biker passes all three cars on the right, swerves into the pedestrian crosswalk, crosses street, swerves back into street and away goes the bicycle. Possession of that kind of freedom is a rare and fleeting asset. I've often wished I could just drive up on the sidewalk to avoid the inconvenience of stop signs.

Painting special bicycle arrows on the street is as useless as putting up bird sanctuary signs.

Coondog

I wonder what mayor appointed a committee of birds to lobby for...................well, just forget it!

Coondog

Update

Postby Coondog » 2013 Mar 13 16:16

According to the most recent edition from the local paper mache factory, Lexington City council (with the exception of one lone, sane Mr. Friedman) has elected to persue Main Street Status with a pledge of $65,000 to go along with it.

Main to Maury Consultants $56,000 Bicycle Arrows approved $5,000 Main Street Status $65,000 pledged

This City must be running a surplus.

$126,000

.....and nothing (except for bicycle arrows) you can actually point to (pardon the pun) that's of any economic benefit to anybody.

Coondog :coffee:

What's next? A Dawg Park?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 Mar 14 03:38

Coondog, we've just got to get you out on a bicycle now that nice weather is arriving. (Empathy is best gained by experiencing the pain of others.)

Sharrows marked green as below make all the difference to a cyclist. They are literally the difference between life and death.

Rare and isolated signs at the side of a road, and rare lane markings, are much less effective. Towns which pay for them have their hearts in the right place, but they don't quite do the job. I lived in Holland for a year and loved the safety and convenience accorded cyclists. They have a national law that requires that every new road, or major repair of an old one, must include a physically separated bicycle path (fietspad).

Image Image

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Mar 14 12:37

Besides the fact that those green strips look rediculous and we have no room for them and as far as I know, we haven't killed any of them lately (I see one guy on a bike and a whole bunch of automobiles in that picture) I feel you are missing my point.

We have serious economic issues. We have limited resources. Bicycles seem to be the top priority in the minds of those who feel that serious structural changes to the downtown will enhance economic prosperity. As I recall, we still have a bike shop here. That's a good thing! If it brings a thousand bicyclists a day through town, and they need curb side dining areas to eat their granola bars.....well fine. That's something to be considered. Love to see that.

But, until more than five of them, hand picked, come by and want to paint the streets green, we should be concentrating on other things.......and it aint flower pots, obolisks, or city seals etched into intersections. The banner idea we paid $56,000 to come up with would be nice if it were LEGAL!

$126,000 would go a long way to incentify someone to occupy at least one of the multitude of empty store fronts. One that sells civil war memorabilia ( you know, confederate flags, coffee mugs with General Lee on 'em, pieces of Little Sorrel) might make a go of it!

................or a Hooters!

Or somewhere for kids (you know, those dirty, smelly things with back packs) might congregate without annoying the geriatrics.

Anything to bring some vibrancy ....some life before we become the Detroit of the South.

How about we give the bicycles their due, then start re-examining the regulatory and additudinal barriers we have erected.

Say, you get a parking ticket. You pay it within an hour, its only a nickle. (I know you hate nickles as much as pennies, but.....)

Say, we direct the police force (I think they're still accountable to somebody) not to bother people who are not actually doing something illegal?

Say, we put some flexibility into the inflexible architectural standards. Let's pretend all signage doesn't have to look alike, or be located on monoliths that block your view.

Say, we give the Hotel (which every downtown study since 1970 has touted as the most important economic enhancemnt factor) a friggin' parking space. If we can give up one to accomodate power bar munching bikers..........

How about we have official bunji jumping off the new Nelson Street Bridge every Thursday? Pets and coolers allowed.

Ok. forget that last one.

Coondog :encore:

My tail still hurts from the last time I rode a bicycle. And that was 20 years ago!

lexingtonrick

Postby lexingtonrick » 2013 Mar 15 16:51

I have not read every post on this thread so my question might have been answered. From a post from Coondog:“Parallel parking now takes up 6' on either side of Main Street. That's 12' for those of you who attended Harvard. Diagonal parking requires from 16 to 18'. That’s of loss of 4 to 6 feet of roadway.....2 to 3 feet per lane. Where, in all this, are these bike lanes going to be? “

Hummm.......where will the big food and beverage trucks double park to be able to resupply the restaurants?

Return to “MAIN FORUM”