NINTY NINE PERCENT

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Coondog

NINTY NINE PERCENT

Postby Coondog » 2011 Nov 18 12:58

An interesting perspective. I was watching Lou Dobbs (yep! enlightenment comes in many diverse forms). So....Lou was interviewing one of the more prominent Occupy Wall Street personalities and he asks him, somewhat facetiously, why they were protesting Wall Street and not the Government.

The answer seemed poignant....to the effect that government representatives were simply the paid servants of corporations, that this was the situation they were protesting and their goal was a "paradigm shift".

A Paradigm Shift!

Now, who can argue with that?

Coondog :thumbup:

Juggler

Re: NINTY NINE PERCENT

Postby Juggler » 2011 Nov 19 17:33

99%? Man, that's strong moonshine. I'll take a flagon 'r two, thank you very much.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2011 Nov 25 10:30

It's Black Friday and Occupy Walmart is in full swing.....attracting the worst elements of society.

Reports of pepper spray, armed robbery and assorted random violence permeate the morning news broadcasts.

Strangely, these congregations of unruley mobs has yet to spur noticable police reaction. Where capitalism is concerned, some leniency seems to prevail. Hopefully, this trend of permissiveness will endure through to the capitalistic notion of Shop Small Saturday, which, like Occupy Wall Street, is paradoxically endorsed by Obama.

Paradox..........or Paradigm Shift? And, can Fox News wrap their collective talking heads around it without emploding?

Coondog

Git your @!#* fingers off my X-box! :violent1:

Uji

Postby Uji » 2011 Nov 26 11:01

Made my day, Coondog. Thanks.

Uji

Postby Uji » 2011 Nov 28 10:14

Amy Problemski posted a link to this data a while back under the heading "The Facts." This is worth remembering when we hear all this nonsense about the deficit and corporate tax rates.

1. The size of the deficit is large, certainly, but is inconsequential compared to the last time we were engaged in war on two fronts:

2. The amount of taxes corpoarations actually pay (forget about rates) is shrinking -- and has been for years:

3. The majority of that debt is held by US citizens, not foreign powers:

4. Income tax rates have been shrinking for the last 80 years:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2011 Nov 28 16:38

All those charts and graphs are beyond me. I only graduated from Charm School (flunked obedience classes, though).
If we only had crux around to interpret them for us....................eh? :laughing:

Coondog

When the river runs dry
the fish mongers smile
....but not for long!

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2011 Nov 30 12:22

I hear you.

But I'll bet some of us are less dizzy now that up is no longer down, rich is no longer poor, hot is no longer cold, the world is not flat, etc.. Oh, and the volume is down too ... I can take my earplugs out.
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2011 Dec 02 10:54

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2011 Dec 02 12:11

Wise One wrote:I'll bet some of us are less dizzy now that up is no longer down, rich is no longer poor, hot is no longer cold, the world is not flat, etc.. Oh, and the volume is down too ... I can take my earplugs out.

He didn't bother me. There's no such thing as too much crazy for me, I even like "Sweetness." I am always entertained by depraved mindlessness, so bring it on!

Uji

Postby Uji » 2011 Dec 03 10:44

Amy Probenski wrote:More Facts

The Facts

Thanks, Amy P! An additional factoid I got from Sen. Warner's recent tour of the talk shows: If we got rid of all deductions (every one), we could cut income taxes in half and still be collecting more revenue for the gov then we are now. Re-enforces what WiseOne was saying in another thread.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2011 Dec 05 11:52

What? All deductions?

Let's reconsider. I deduct this internet connection as a work related expense. (I don't do this on my own time.....if I was home I'd be busy fixin' stuff thats broke.) On-line Journalism in the interest of irritating right wing fanatics is an important socialogical contribution to civilization.

So, some institutions need to be preserved. I say, keep the communications cost tax deduction and give them, say, prayer at scholastic athletic events. Stomped and bludgeoned football fans can use some divine intervention.

Coondog :pompom:

.......and maybe a firearm or two? for self defense only, of course!

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2011 Dec 07 09:28

Uji wrote:... from Sen. Warner's recent tour of the talk shows: If we got rid of all deductions (every one), we could cut income taxes in half and still be collecting more revenue
Yes indeed. And in regard to corporations, already discussed as contributing a declining share to federal revenues, it is also the case that they are declining in their importances as a source of state revenues:

Uji

Postby Uji » 2011 Dec 07 12:37

Speaking of Virginia...

I'm surprised that there hadn't been more noise about the manner in which the Reps in Richmond have "balanced" the budget without tax increases: they've simply taken the money from the Virginia Employee Pension Fund. The payroll deductions of state employess that should be going to the Virginia Retirement System (one of the one or two best run pension investment systems in the country) have simply been diverted to the general fund...

The guv's even making noises about needing to "reform" the pension system. It's clear what that means. We've seen it in Wisconsin.

Buck Turgidson

Postby Buck Turgidson » 2011 Dec 07 21:47

Those guys are very hard to figure out, always wanting to hit the little guy and hurt the many only so the wealthy can continue to pay less than their fair share.

Not all millionaires, whom Republicans constantly to pander too, are as stupid and selfish as the craven GOP takes them for. Here's a rebuttal by some wealthy people who also have a sense of patriotism.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2012 Mar 07 13:40

Here are a few of the ways the wealthy avoid paying their fair share of taxes.

It's mostly legal, but the law is an ass and needs to be changed.

:coffee:

Crux

Me?

Postby Crux » 2012 Mar 07 14:40

I am definitely part of the productive class, not the entitlement class. I suppose I am part of the 53%. Those that actually pay Federal income tax, and proudly part of the 100%. The fact is, there will always be a top 1% in any paradigm, or system. I give thanks to live in this country, and lament it's demise, the buffoon BO, and our so called Progressives.

The 99%... :lol:

crux
crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

Bigbux Stogeychomper

Postby Bigbux Stogeychomper » 2012 Mar 07 23:29

Dear Crux,

I am a member of the 1%, extremely wealthy thank you, and I really enjoy what my wealth buys. Even better, I've got tons of free time because my money is inherited. It throws off capital gains that are mostly shielded from taxes. I can hardly believe it myself, but the taxes on even that mostly goes away!

How? I don't really understand it. All I know is that my tax attorneys (they are not cheap) created a bunch of complicated stuff (corporations, holding companies, lots of "expenses" and "deductions" and some offshore assets in the Caymans.) The IRS doesn't like it but it's all legal (thank you, Congress) so I skate by just fine. Dad always said, "Only little people pay taxes" and man was he ever right!

So thank you from the bottom of my heart, dear Crux, for working hard and paying taxes so that I don't have to. I throw a few dollars to Republicans like Goodlatte every year, and they treat me just fine – making you pay so I don't have to.

Love,
BBS

Crux

Postby Crux » 2012 Mar 08 07:48

Bigbux Stogeychomper wrote: Dad always said, "Only little people pay taxes" and man was he ever right!

Only about half of Americans even pay Federal Income Tax. :thumbup:

The top 1% pay like 40% of all Federal income tax. The top 5% pay nearly 60% and the top 10% pay 70%, and the top 25% pay very nearly 90%. Remember, the top 1% take in less than 18% on all the income. Even with Capital Gains, that money has already generated income tax at some point. Investment is encouraged and is taxed again. Then you die and the Estate Tax takes more. The wealthiest amongst up, including the top 1/100th of that top 1% are paying HUGE TAXES. Simple. :coffee:

crux
crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2012 Mar 08 15:24

Your arguments, as ever, are nonsensical.
crux wrote:Only about half of Americans even pay Federal Income Tax.
Higher than I would have thought. You cannot get money from children, the poor, the sick and dying, and only the cruel would say we should. While factual, your pointless argument only misdirects. Very wealthy people ought to pay at least the same percentage of their income as poor people, which they definitely do not do.
crux wrote:The top 1% pay like 40% of all Federal income tax. The top 5% pay ...
Stunning in its irrelevancy, an argument always used to misdirect. Those using it either do not understand arithmetic, or intend deliberately to deceive. What matters is how one's total income from all sources is taxed in PERCENTAGE terms, at this time the very wealthy paying a lower percentage than the rest of us.
Only people with money can pay taxes so of course that's where most of the money comes from. But the wealthy are taxed incredibly lightly in PERCENTAGE terms compared to the rest of us, not at all fair.

Your argument is like saying "Only 5% of the people pay 95% of the property taxes, unfair." It's really stupid because most people don't own real estate and don't pay property taxes, and some individual properties are worth tens of millions of dollars. Only an idiot would argue that it is fair to collect the same dollar tax from a trailer park resident as from Bill Gates.
Or in a town "Only 1/10 of 1 percent of the water customers pay half of all the water costs, that's unfair" when one customer is a huge DuPont factory using thousands of tons of process water, and 1000 are small houses.

But these remarks are not really for you ... you will only dismiss them with belligerence and contempt. They are for the intelligent, rational and honest readers found on this Forum.

:coffee:

Crux

The great sucking sound in DC

Postby Crux » 2012 Mar 09 08:15

The insatiable appetite for plunder. In an effort to equalize, so called, the labor tax rate vs. capital gains, the goal of the plunderer is to INCREASE the one, instead of decreasing the other and shrinking the size and scope of our BLOATED WASTEFUL federal government.

Also, capital gains have already been taxed, at least once, and are not inflation adjusted. The 15% is actually higher year over year. Many see the waste, the bloat. Just this week we read Detroit can not account for ANY jobs created via it's 800 million in stimulus dollars. None.

The 99 are just so many whiners. I do not align myself with such silliness, and very few folks do. The antics of the 99 turn the stomachs of good people. The rage, The violence. The entitlement mentality.

The 99 crap on the bank building and the cop car and behind the mailbox... The pictures are clear & Pathetic.

:geek: