Song of the South Revisited

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Uji
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Song of the South Revisited

Postby Uji » 2012 Jan 23 14:35

Neck-aint-red
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2012 May 10 08:03

Southern bigots are, and always will be, what they are – hateful, ignorant, hurtful, and despicable people. They were formerly "Dixiecrats," but after President Johnson announced his support for the civil rights act they switched over to become Republicans in a New York minute.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2014 Jan 25 08:06

This is a very well written op-ed about this story. If you haven't seen the film, I highly recommend that you do. A word to the wise........be prepared to have your system shocked and to have the need for decompression after it is over. To say this story is about man's inhumanity to man is the understatement of the year.......this is cruelty beyond belief. Every proud Southerner needs to see this and wake the hell up about the Civil War. I believe we have long passed the point where Southern folk need to stop romanticizing this very dark period of our history. It is past time to stop yammering about magnolias, bourbon, and Southern gentility & honor and the Stars & Bars . Gentility & honor my arse!!!

These are the pieces of American and Virginia history that are missing from educational institutions across the land. Our children and our granchildren need to know the real story....all of it.......so that they may hopefully avoid the pitfalls of repeating the past.

Before folks go flying off the handle here, I will say that I was born & raised right here in this Valley. I love my home and always have. But, this story changed my perspective about who we really are and what we really stand for every time we romanticize the Old South.

:shakeh:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Kevsky

Re: Beating a Dead Horse

Postby Kevsky » 2014 Jan 26 10:42

Last edited by Kevsky on 2014 Jan 26 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Jan 26 11:42

One of your arguments sounds remarkably like blaming immoral growers/sellers in Afghanistan for heroin addiction in the United States. I don't look at it that way.

Without a willing customer, there is no producer/seller. Yes, it's a chicken and egg problem, and I put at least half the blame on the buyer.

America had poor policies for reducing demand for slaves, and still has poor policies for reducing demand for drugs. Criminalization worked well (after a painful period of resistance) to end slavery, but it is clear after a hundred years of failure that somewhat different policies are needed to reduce demand for drugs.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Crux

Drama or History?

Postby Crux » 2014 Jan 26 12:29

Kevsky

Postby Kevsky » 2014 Jan 27 20:27

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2014 Mar 15 10:57

Maybe not all southerners are dumb-as-a-post shitheads, but they are numerous enough that the smart and good ones have a helluva tough job trying to do .

Crux

The voice of the Left...hates...

Postby Crux » 2014 Mar 15 20:20

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Nov 24 10:41

Yes, Southerners are , which may partially explain but cannot justify the dumb-ass things they keep doing.

Crux

doozy you are

Postby Crux » 2014 Nov 24 13:50

I am not even going to read the link. PEOPLE generally are really fucked up. wiseone you really do know better, or else you are just bigoted.
Pick any demographic group big or small and you will find some real doozies. It does not prove anything other than people are people... :coffee:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't know why you are the way you are. Why you hate. I an not prejudiced against any demographic.
Stupid southerners, racist southerners, not even Christian Southerners are a demographic group. :shakeh:
Wearing a checkered shirt and a cowboy hat doesn't validate you as somehow a man of the people...

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Nov 24 16:33

It fails to surprise that you would choose not to read sober analysis of a problem.
You suspect that it runs contrary to wacky right wing ideology.
When the facts do not support opinion, reject the facts.
End of story.

Crux

you win nothing because you say notnihg

Postby Crux » 2014 Nov 24 16:41

Do you really think Southerners are more fucked up than say, northerners, or folks out west, or maybe New Englanders?
Folks like you suffer from deep bias. The ability you have is akin to saying, "All blacks or all gays or all women" suck, or stink or whatever...
You have a bigoted frame of reference that you willingly slather all over "Southerners!" :coffee: It is at it's CORE, broken. You are broken.
I reject no facts, but any one fucked up person does not stand as a template for all other (insert your demographic target here).

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Nov 24 17:22

Yes.
I am a southerner
I know my people inside and out
There are good people everywhere
There are bad people everywhere
But the South has WAAAAY more than its fair share of the bad 'uns.
As the article both notes and explains.

Crux

I am done with you for tonight...

Postby Crux » 2014 Nov 24 20:16

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2015 Jan 18 16:01

""
This blonde racist is a graduate of, where else, Jerry Falwell's "Liberty University" across mountain toward the east. They indoctrinate their puppets well.

Crux

That the best you got?

Postby Crux » 2015 Jan 19 10:13

Hates-Red-Necks, I can not find the VIDEO of the exchange in question! Media Matters and a host of leftist sites have certainly put this assertion out, but there is little context, harsh accusation, and even from you insinuation that Falwell, Liberty, and Breem are all RACISTS. This isn't helpful in any discussion about Paris, or home grown terrorists so-called, or assimilation, or Southern Racism, or anything other than political swipes.

I would love it if you could actually find the exchange so we can wee it for ourselves. Try to find the discussion, and if you can't,
ask yourself why not. Let's review it my friend.

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2015 Feb 22 11:28

, the telling racist remark just after 3:10 into the video.

Jon Stewart (we'll miss him so) had the perfect remark about southern racist fundamentalist conservative Republicans who want to put the Bible back in public schools, courthouses, county councils, etc.

In a discussion about the wave of southern states enacting legislation to ban Sharia Law, indeed any law of "foreign origin" he asked innocently, "Now just where do they think the Bible was written?"

:laughing:

PS. Not all Southerners are idiots even though most are trying to convince us they are.

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 10 11:54

I hold with our Civil War having been fundamentally a conflict between the industrial and mercantile oligarchs of the North versus the agrostocracy of the South. As to slavery, we should always keep in mind the ethical dimension has changed over time, so the general view of the "strange institution" then was not so unequivocal as it is today. The long run wealth destruction of the Southern plutocracy as a result of the inevitable demise of slavery was the underlying driver of the secessionist movement. The South was simply not prepared to stand aside and hasten its own economic destruction. It seems to me that if the political class of the time had been more competent, something could have been worked out to satisfy all interests even if it took a decade or three to effect.

Sweetness 'n Light

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2015 Apr 07 17:02

Well 1centrist you sure use big words don't you?

I'm not getting most of it cause it seems like to me that those northerners just invaded and shot everybody and tried to steal slaves even though the laws said real clear they was property and the constitution says the government cant just take away property so they had the right to defend their property with guns just like the constitution and the NRA says, huh?

I get real depressed at all the liberals around here who are against God and Country even trying to ban our historical flags like such. They had a big fight in Lexington and I don't see them no more hardly but we were driving on 81 and saw a big one that shows there is still real patriots around maybe. There was a photo in the local paper and here it is for all real patriots who still love our country even though all the illegal aileens and liberals are trying to break it. They should go back where they came from, huh?

Love and kisses ...

flagger.jpg
flagger.jpg (36.44 KiB) Viewed 5488 times