Rockbridge Life & Culture

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Rockbridge

Looking Back

Postby Rockbridge » 2011 Dec 27 19:39

Looking back is sometimes good and sometimes bad. Either way, it generates sensations, which are usually not rooted in reality, so much, as our perception of reality. That perception is based on what we place value on at the time.

Values change. Life is fluid. However, my perception of Rockbridge County, as being the most beautiful place on earth, has never changed. My memories of driving on the Skyline Drive in a snow storm, from Lexington to Waynesboro, have never faded. At the time, I was a 19 years old conscript, slated, to become cannon fodder, for the aspirations of corrupt political minds. The snow accumulating on the Parkway was a silent cleansing flurry of refreshing, purifying, whiteness to my miserable soul. The visual beauty of the Shenandoah Valley below gave breath taking substance to all that was right on the earth, in spite of presumed horrors looming in the most desolate portions of my subconscious being.

There would have been no other place on earth I would have rather been at that time, thinking that I was surely looking at it for the last time. There is no place on earth I would rather be today.

Sean323

Thomas F. Kennan MD Raphine

Postby Sean323 » 2012 Mar 23 12:18

Hello, I am looking for any information, stories and anecdotes anyone might have on my grandfather, Thomas F. Kennan MD, my grandmother Helen Kennan, their children Tom and Myra, and their housekeeper Pearl. My grandfather lived in Raphine from around 1930-1980. His address in Raphine was 54 Doc Hill, just off Raphine Rd. I am writing a book on my family history to be passed down to future generations. My Grandfather was a country doctor who had his practice attached to his house. He made house calls and traveled all over the region taking care of people. He delivered over 3000 babies in and around Raphine and surrounding areas during those 50+ years. My grandmother passed away in 1980 and my grandfather passed away in 1988. They are both buried in the Mt. Carmel Church cemetary in Steeles Tavern. My father, Tom is 82 and doing well. I just visited Raphine and their old house 2 days ago after 32 years. On that day I also visited my Aunt Myra (Earhart) and her son Patrick whom I have not seen in 32 years. Also on that day I visited with Jane S. Kennan of Staunton, my Grandfathers' second wife, whom he married in 1980 and whom I have not seen since the mid 80's. That was a very interesting day.

You can post a reply to my message here, or you can email me. My email address is: sckennan41@comcast.net.

Thank you.

Sean Kennan

Amy Probenski

Re: Rockbridge Life & Culture

Postby Amy Probenski » 2012 Nov 30 18:23

So very sad. The Grinchiest of Christmases has been visited upon Rockbridge County.

A formal announcement of the closing of The Theater at Lime Kiln has been made. We've had so many good times there, it is such a shame to see it go.

Can we hope there is some way, some how, to make it not be so?

:cry2:

paxham

The Natural Bridge of Virginia

Postby paxham » 2013 Nov 24 17:49

Hello,

Greetings from Richmond.

Haven't been here in years, but I heard about a petition to rescue Natural Bridge from private ownership (maybe to late now), so I signed it and spread the word. If not now, then next time maybe.

You might remember this.

http://downtownrichmond.blogspot.com/2007/12/so-beautiful-ach-natural-bridge-va.html

Paul

Wise One

Re: The Natural Bridge of Virginia

Postby Wise One » 2013 Nov 24 21:05

Hello, welcome back after a long absence.

Yes, changes may be afoot. Here's a press release suggesting a change in ownership, to a transitional partnership that will be succeeded by the Virginia park system as new owner & operator. I think it would be great. In my youth, I worked there as a soda jerk and as a lifeguard, but always thought that this amazing feature would be better owned and operated by the public for the public. I hope the change goes through.

For Immediate Release

Tentative Agreement Reached on Natural Bridge of Virginia Sale

ROANOKE, Va. (Nov. 22, 2013)—Woltz & Associates, Inc. today announced that a tentative agreement for the conveyance of Virginia’s Natural Bridge and its surrounding properties has been reached with a non-profit conservation organization. If agreement is finalized by all parties in the coming days, the auction scheduled for Dec. 18 will not go forward.

“We’ve worked diligently along two paths to sell the 1,600 acres along with the Natural Bridge Hotel, the caverns at Natural Bridge and the historic bridge itself. One path has been to sell the property in 35 separate parcels at auction on Dec. 18. At the same time, we’ve sought an opportunity to eventually bring the famous rock arch, caverns and over 1,000 acres into either the National Park or Virginia State Park system,” said Jim Woltz, President of Woltz & Associates.
    Woltz & Associates is the regional real estate auction company managing the sale of Natural Bridge. The Bridge and its surrounding property—including the hotel—have been owned and operated by Washington, DC area real estate developer Angelo Puglisi since 1988. Mr. Puglisi purchased the property with the intent of keeping it accessible to visitors forever.

In addition to moving forward with auction preparations, Woltz led discussions to find an alternative to a sale if possible. Numerous conservation groups, individuals and organizations came together to discuss ideas and other options to having an auction sale.

“It is quite unusual for us to call off an auction. However, there is so much historical significance attached to this national landmark—once owned by Thomas Jefferson and surveyed by George Washington— that we consider it the right thing to do,” said Woltz.

The tentative agreement is structured so that the Bridge and its surrounding property will transfer to a non-profit conservation group in an innovative public-private partnership. The new owner will assume financial, technical, and operational responsibility for a defined period of time.

Today the Bridge itself is designated as a Virginia Historic Landmark as well as a National Historic Landmark. Known as one of the world’s natural wonders, the beauty and spectacle of The Natural Bridge of Virginia has attracted visitors from around the globe since the time of Thomas Jefferson’s ownership. It is a significant local, regional and national attraction.

Confirmation of the transfer and its new owner will be announced upon agreement by all parties involved in the contract of sale.

###
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Mar 24 01:28

I stumbled upon an amazing collection of historical photographs from our area.

I recognize many people and places from my youth and really appreciate the effort that must have gone into it.

:coffee:

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 24 10:01

Outstanding! Thanks. I'll be buying the book this week. I love this town.

Trend Setter

Postby Trend Setter » 2015 Jun 28 18:49

This is not exactly specific to Rockbridge County, but it is an opportunity for Virginians to perform in a major new motion picture being filmed here.

If this is for you or anybody in your family or circle of friends, let them know about this Open Audition Opportunity for Loving.

This was just as important in its day as this week's gay marriage decision.

:pompom:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 Jun 29 12:05

Been auditioning for children's roles for half a century and haven't landed one yet.

Coondog :cry2:

Not a damned Dalmation!

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Jul 05 22:48

Sally Mann, childhood contemporary (her dad was our family doc), has a really nice interview done by Charlie Rose available here free on Hulu.

Our families used to be quite close but she's focused so on her work the best we can hope for any more is a chance encounter at Krogers!

There's a lot of excellence here in Rockbridge, and Sally is one of our treasures.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Jul 18 15:58

The Seldom Scene is performing again tonight at Lime Kiln theater. As is my annual custom, I shall be there in attendance. These musicians are at the top of their form and have been since the 1970s.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Jul 22 17:35

I took this video at last Saturday's Seldom Scene performance, the first one I have ever attended that had not a single member of the original group present. Ben Eldridge is ailing with sciatica. As usual, they are fantastic.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 Aug 11 21:32

On a cultural note: Cabin in the Sky is playing on Turner Classic Movies at 10:00 pm. This one might drag himself away from the continuing episodes of "The Amazing Mr.Trump Goes to the Circus" and prequel the upcoming meteor shower by revisiting this immortal moral classic simply for the benefit of it's spiritually uplifting qualities. And because the Daily show is in re-runs.

Coondog :tiphat:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Oct 02 14:38

DSC06564w.jpg
DSC06564w.jpg (104.7 KiB) Viewed 4272 times

Rockbridge Baths. Rick Mast now lives in their house, with its spring-fed pool usable 365 days/year.

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2015 Dec 14 12:28

Liberty Hall

nudgewink

Foamhenge ... disaster looms

Postby nudgewink » 2016 May 03 14:40

Wow, the Rockbridge Forum is back. Who woulda thunk? Good news.

But this is really bad news. Is Foamhenge really living under a death sentence?

I think we should save it by moving it to the middle of the VMI parade grounds. Yes, that's the ticket.

:numc:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2016 Jun 17 15:11

The Seldom Scene perform tonight at Lime Kiln.

I'll be there.

:pompom:

PS. And so I was. It was one of the best Seldom Scene performances I've ever attended, and I've been there for LOTS of them. The weather cleared, to make the Lime Kiln bowl the best performance venue in the world and the guys came through with musical excellence and precision.

All the original Seldom Scene are now rotated out of the group, two by death (John Duffey & Mike Auldridge), John Starling (of Lexington) and Tom Gray moved on to other things, and Ben Eldridge just retired because of infirmities that eventually descend upon us all. The "newbies" have maintained their exceptional level of excellence and innovation, and have brought to it new skills and nuances. For example, Ricky Simpkins not only does great banjo but also fiddle, his brother Ronnie Simpkins is great on bass, Lou Reid does mandolin and guitar with a hint of reminiscence for Duffey, Dudley Connell does great guitar and vocals. and Fred Travers is the most worth successor to the great Auldridge on Dobro.

Regrettably, I'll miss the Ben Eldridge Tribute on July 17 at the Birchmere because we're out of country. It will be historic, with all of the present and former Seldom Scene in attendance, and a list of unannounced superstars (Emmylou Harris is the only one I'm certain of, but expect more surprises. Linda?)