Free Speech...protecting the Right

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Wise One
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Free Speech...protecting the Right

Postby Wise One » 2011 Nov 09 16:44

Here's Julian Assange by proxy. It's a compelling argument.

We gain far, far more from a free press than from suppressing it, not to mention its protection under the Constitution. Financial institutions, pressured by the Obama Administration, should have said simply, "Not our job. Show us a court order and only then will we comply."
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Uji
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Say what you will, certainly...

Postby Uji » 2011 Nov 20 11:00

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2011 Nov 21 10:13

I like your take on taxes, accepted by everybody on some level and yet sometimes repudiated by ideologues using freakishly strident arguments.

Your opinion is evocative of . I am mystified and appalled that the top 1% holds such sway over the opinions and votes of the very people whose pockets they pick daily and whose environment is being scraped of sustaining life.

:tiphat:

Sam

Postby Sam » 2011 Nov 27 05:15

I understand that roughly half of people living in the country do not pay taxes. I feel that if everyone pays something they have more of an investment in the,country. As for healthcare I pay a pretty hearty premium for health care and cant afford any more.
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Uji

Postby Uji » 2011 Nov 27 14:34

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2011 Nov 27 15:04

Uji

Postby Uji » 2011 Nov 27 15:33

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2011 Nov 27 21:50

Uji

Postby Uji » 2011 Nov 28 09:33

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2011 Nov 30 12:19

I guess there's stuff out there but most of the Republican "flat tax" stuff is fraudulent, preserving evasions for the wealthy. My alternatives, flat income tax or sales tax, are genuinely flat with the exception that roughly the first $20,000 per year is exempted. This is considerably more progressive than our present system.

And on the corporate tax front, that will make you want to puke.

:coffee:

Crux

http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=5033

Postby Crux » 2013 Sep 04 07:58

http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=5033

Yes. What we have here is a nice little example of what passes for high minded leftist thought, espoused be a Professor...

This guy is like AO, Clown, Red, and Amy P. rolled into one!

We'll see if MSU chastises guy.

This is BLATANT INDOCTRINATION AND INTIMIDATION.

I would call it voter suppression too.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Sep 04 11:17

Sure sounds inappropriate to me............

.......however, there is no context.

The text says it was 8 minutes, but the clip is less than two minutes. Nixon's secretary get ahold of it?

Some context may or may not explain what appears to be a highly inappropriate rant by someone who has an even lower opinion of Mitt Romney than average. And, what's with the Ann Romney jag? She's just doing her job!

Context?

Context?

Edited tapes?

Coondog :hum:

Maybe he was just answering a question?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 Sep 04 11:28

Indeed. Context is everything.

His job, apparently, is to teach a class in creative writing and he should be judged by the university on whether or not he delivers on that objective.

Personal beliefs and their statement, usually, are not relevant to a judgment by his employer unless they detract significantly from the doing of his job, teaching and doing research competently in most such institutions. His performance with respect to those duties deserves, and will get, all the criticism it deserves.

:coffee:

Crux

Context?

Postby Crux » 2013 Sep 04 21:50

You two are so wanting. CONTEXT?

The "Professor" was so far off base on several levels as to make context null.
I doubt you even care about context. You just don't want to call it for what it is.
That makes you two well, loathe... Honest Brokers? High minded? Well, high then.

To the visitor. AO and clown demonstrate spinelessness.
Point to common sense and, well, CRUX. Admit it.
You two are LOATHE to call it for what it is. :dontknow:
Blatant stupidity and indoctrination mixed with bigotry.

me

Or as one commenter said:
"I am a university professor and I am utterly appalled. I agree that MSU needs to reevaluate
their relationship with this pompous, hypocritical, Leftist, racist, sexist, bully.
"

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Sep 05 12:20

Sorry, cruxnatious......

Just cant manage to get all that passionate over it.

Audit a few classes at Liberty University sometime......then talk about indoctrination on a more informed level.

Then maybe Coondog will give a hoot!

Coondog

Liberty U. Where Gov. Bob Macadoodle learned all about ethics!

Crux

Informed? Who, you???

Postby Crux » 2013 Sep 05 14:12

This is why I like you clown. Becauase you talk like you ARE informed. I don't even have to look very deep EVER, to find the holes in your understandings. You are here criticizing me for being informed, by comparing an essentially outright CHRISTIAN PRIVATE UNIVERSITY, Liberty, and wishing to draw comparisons on indoctrination with MSU, a STATE school?

You are lost.... Point to CRUX, again... :tiphat:

Wise One

Re: Informed? Who, you???

Postby Wise One » 2013 Sep 06 12:27

Crux

From the link AO provided on academic freedom...

Postby Crux » 2013 Sep 13 07:45

"Academic freedom is a contested issue and, therefore, has limitations in practice. In the United States, for example, according to the widely recognized "1940 Statement on Academic Freedom and Tenure",[1] teachers should be careful to avoid controversial matter that is unrelated to the subject. When they speak or write in public, they are free to express their opinions without fear from institutional censorship or discipline, but they should show restraint and clearly indicate that they are not speaking for their institution.[citation needed] Academic tenure protects academic freedom by ensuring that teachers can be fired only for causes such as gross professional incompetence or behavior that evokes condemnation from the academic community itself."

The MSU Prof was way out there overboard in his comments and he will be disciplined. His comments were inappropriate.

Thanks for the link as it aptly goes to the heart of the matter here. We shall see.

Crux

It ain't rocket science...

Postby Crux » 2013 Sep 17 22:20

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Jun 18 21:32

Evidently William Penn made amends for whatever missteps he might have made, trumpeted by the hysterical right wing press.

Here's showing he's employed as a respected and productive member of the faculty.