Free Speech...protecting the Right

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Crux
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Free Speech...protecting the Right

Postby Crux » 2011 Jan 13 20:28

crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

Crux
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Add 2 more (D)emo-crats to the Censor List

Postby Crux » 2011 Jan 13 21:19

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/13714 ... or-answers

We covered Clyburn (D-SC)... Add Slaughter (D-NY) and Brady (D-Pa) to the list of "speech protecting(NOT)" censors... Are they just spouting off? Are they a threat to free speech? Are they the kind of "no stature" Pols 'dog says don't exist to blame Palin for the Tuscon Murders? Are they RECENT examples of (D)ems who seek to exploit tragedy in their quest to quell "offensive" political oppositional SPEECH? Are they to be disregarded just because no legislation has been introduced?
Does the Left see the Threat to Speech... Will they resist it...

crux
crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

Glendale

Postby Glendale » 2011 Jan 13 22:08

The right and left have a great deal in common when it comes to free speech.
The right howls when the left tries to squash it, which it regularly does.
The left howls when the right tries to squash it, which it regularly does.
Both deny ever attempting to ban freedom of expression, even as they're gagging someone.
Any "limits" either side manages to press on our most basic freedom, limits enforced with bullhorns, fists, guns, ruination or imprisonment are always imposed for reasons perfectly valid to the imposers.
A plague on all of them.

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2011 Jan 14 10:01

ParkerLongbaugh

Postby ParkerLongbaugh » 2011 Jan 14 11:09

Do a 10second Google search for "suppression free speech" and you'll find plenty of examples from both sides, including the left both in gov and the private sector. Leaving that side of the tally blank is pretty inaccurate...

Crux

Postby Crux » 2011 Jan 14 18:33

Neck-aint-red

I'm still waiting

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2011 Jan 16 21:40

Is there as much suppression of free speech from the left as from the right in America within the past decade?

Crux apparently thinks that 3 examples I gave of attempted government muzzling of non-conservatives are exactly what he wants!
He has failed to counter, so far, with examples of real attempts, legislation or regulation, to muzzle conservatives. It still seems highly asymmetrical to me. Conservatives complain incessantly about suppression of their free speech, but only they appear actually to be doing it!

Parker had an interesting suggestion that Googling a phrase would yield scads of examples of government suppressing the speech of poor downtrodden conservatives. I tried, but cannot find anything. Would you please list what you found, real examples of attempts, legislation or regulation, to muzzle speech by conservatives?

Crux

PUHLEEZE...

Postby Crux » 2011 Jan 17 00:20

Last edited by Crux on 2011 Jan 17 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

Wise One

Re: PUHLEEZE...

Postby Wise One » 2011 Jan 17 09:57

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Crux

Postby Crux » 2011 Jan 17 11:06

Crux

The secret ballot...

Postby Crux » 2011 Jan 17 11:33

Our vote, secret and private, protects our personal privacy and Liberty.

Can you imagine if our vote at the polls was flashed on a screen for all to see? How would you like a political operative to be looking over your shoulder as you pull the lever. Can you take a moment to imagine the social pressure, political ramifications or reprisals.

Is your Vote your speech? Is your vote and the privacy of it your FREE speech? Is this your individual Liberty?

I bring this to your attention, because another issue where the Right to Free Speech is threatened by the Left, is through Card-Check Legislation, which would strip away workers SECRET ballot voting on whether OR NOT to join a Union.

This was the "Employee Free Choice Act", HR800 in the 110th congress and HR1409/S460 in the 111th Congress...

If you are unaware of this assault upon privacy in voting, look into this and think about it...

crux
Last edited by Crux on 2011 Jan 17 14:57, edited 2 times in total.

ParkerLongbaugh

Re: I'm still waiting

Postby ParkerLongbaugh » 2011 Jan 17 13:54

Crux

Chalk one up for the....ACLU? Another example...

Postby Crux » 2011 Jan 17 14:37

...of the Left seeking to curb free political speech. That's HR5175/ SR3628 for those who are taking notes.
http://reason.com/blog/2010/06/21/aclu- ... sclose-act

Crux

ANOTHER State-ist Dem calls for Nanny to police speech...

Postby Crux » 2011 Jan 20 17:28

http://emergingcorruption.com/2011/01/c ... -doctrine/
YUP, your buddy Nadler (D)emo-crat... Seeking to have the FCC reinstate the Fairness Doctrine. Say it isn't so!

Wise One

Re: Chalk one up for the....ACLU?

Postby Wise One » 2011 Jan 20 20:35

Wise One

Re: ANOTHER State-ist Dem calls for Nanny to police speech...

Postby Wise One » 2011 Jan 20 20:40

Wise One

Re: I'm still waiting

Postby Wise One » 2011 Jan 20 21:20

Sam

Postby Sam » 2011 Jan 20 22:45

To those with opposing view points and opinions etc. you need to understand anything presented on this forum must meet with the viewpoints of a certain few. Yeah Folks, you got it, it anything presented if not written by a person from the left leaning persuasion it won't meet the criteria on this forum set by a few. I got the picture shortly after I joined. Now I tell my wife, these folks can't believe they are the one and only with the true information, or they are just narcissistic. Can't tell. My wife, a retired psychologist, tells me they might have a God complex.

They talk about Fox news as being so evil etc, yet Folks, they present the party line down to the talking points as heard from the left leaning persuasion. I have to chuckle when reading their pathetic attempts when they use such words as WILD ASS, HOT AIR, CRAP, TOTAL BS, PATHETIC, BLATHER, EXAMPLE OF THE VITRIOL"

Folks, it seems to me and who am I, but one of those senior citizens, if you really want to get someone to come around to your way of thinking you would gently persuade, induce, beseech, for example, rather than attack. I for one am willing to listen to others opinions if they are presented in a more agreeable way. So guess Folks, I am learning something here and this old coger can still learn but can't say I agree with some.

Just an opinion for one of those older people
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Crux

To be aware...

Postby Crux » 2011 Jan 21 08:12

There are these questions unanswered WO:

So, absent "the formal filing of proposed legislation", you have no problem with a call by Democrats to purse a Fairness Doctrine?

When in 2009, during Obama's administration, a Democrat led senate adopts and passes, with near unanimous Republican support, resolutions blocking a fairness doctrine, you are in support of this action in principle?

This is a quick list of Democrat Pols, who have made strong statements recently in SUPPORT of the fairness doctrine:

Jerry Nadler (D) New York
James Clyburn (D) S.C.
Loise Slaughter (D) N.Y.
Nancy Pelosi (D) Ca
John Kerry (D) Ma
Dennis Kucinich (D) Oh
Diane Feinstein (D) Ca
Al Sharpton (D) NY
Debbi Stabenow (D) Mi
Tom Harkin (D) Iowa
Jeff Bingaman (D) N.M.
Anna Eshoo (D) Ca
Bill Clinton (D)
Dick Durbin (D) Il (June 2007, Senator Richard Durbin (D-Illinois) said, "It's time to reinstitute the Fairness Doctrine")

Now true there are MANY MANY Democrats who are also heavy-duty voices of stature who do not support re-instating the FD like the Honorable Al Franken (D): "The public owns the airwaves, but I think this is an odd imposition of governmental power...I'm uncomfortable with it, even though I see how unbalanced radio is and I can't stand it.''

...even ObamaWAY BACK in 2005 agreed, well, sort of... http://www.theblaze.com/stories/nanny-s ... -doctrine/

FYI

crux

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2011 Jan 21 09:05