Quote of the Day: got some neat quotations?

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
fangz1956

Re: Quote of the Day: got some neat quotations?

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Dec 16 07:37

“If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.”

― John F. Kennedy, Profiles in Courage

:turn:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2013 Dec 16 08:45

fangz,
In reality he was mixed. On forign policy and taxes he was a conservitive.
On civil rights he was a conservitive. He became a liberal on civil rights about 1960 or so.

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2013 Dec 16 21:23

If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we ill be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2013 Dec 17 10:02

Apparently Reagan was unfamiliar with the First Amendment of the US Constitution, which predated unseemly displays of religiosity that are so popular these days among right wing extremists.

:razz:

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2013 Dec 17 11:25

Apparently you are not familiar with the fact that until Everson vs board of education in 1947 the stupid idea of a wall of seperation between the governmrnt and religion only existed in a letter writen by Thomas Jefferson.
I for one think the whole idea of that wall is wrong.
If you check out the signers of the declaration you will find they were mostly very religious people.
The first amendment only prohibited the federal government from establishing a national church.
Several of the thirteen colonies already had state religions.
And why do you atheists care one way or another anyway?
Maybe you should read up on the history of this once great country.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Dec 17 12:33

Chiming in.

The founders or framers or whatever you choose to call them were religious men. Perhaps that's why they built the wall. (and they did. the constitution says nothing about a national church)
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

All one need do is look to the theocratic states of the Middle East to understand why that wall is important.

Consider this: You're all for state rights above and beyond that of the central government. Suppose Utah decided to incorporate the doctrines of the Church of Latter Day Saints into law? Suppose the laws of Mississippi adopted fundamentalist Baptist dogma into law and required all citizens to abide by those strictures?

Suppose you move from Mississippi to Utah and find yourself lacking magic underwear?

Freedom OF religion means you're free to embrace your own beliefs and free of mine......and free of anybody else's without mandates from a central government.

When you are "free" to seek to impose your beliefs on others, others are apt to seek to impose their beliefs on you.

Best we all just keep our relationships with deities (or lack thereof) on a personal basis....as it was originally intended by both Thomas Jefferson and Jesus.

:hail: Coondog

Merry Christmas.........and a joyful Festivus for those who lack imagination.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 Dec 17 13:53

cannoneer wrote:Apparently you are not familiar with the fact that until Everson vs board of education in 1947 the stupid idea of a wall of seperation between the governmrnt and religion only existed in a letter writen by Thomas Jefferson.
Yes, there was foolishness here and there until the Supreme Count made it clear. That decision (plus many others following) make it crystal clear that the government cannot get mixed up with religion.
The Majority wrote:"The 'establishment of religion' clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions or prefer one religion over another. Neither can force nor influence a person to go to or to remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion. No person can be punished for entertaining or professing religious beliefs or disbeliefs, for church attendance or non-attendance. No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever form they may adopt to teach or practice religion. Neither a state nor the Federal Government can, openly or secretly, participate in the affairs of any religious organizations or groups and vice versa. In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect 'a wall of separation between Church and State.'" 330 U.S. 1, 15-16.

Nevertheless, some of this nonsense persisted until two later decisions Engel v. Vitale (1962) and Abington School District v. Schempp (1963), nailed the coffin shut on religiosity in schools.

You appear to dismiss the Law of the Land, as interpreted by the Supreme Court, basically throwing the Constitution in the trash can all by yourself. You can disagree with the Court, but there is no question that they interpret the Law with a finality from which there is no appeal. I think their decision on District of Columbia v. Heller was wrong, but I cannot dispute the fact that their whacky interpretation of plain English is now the law of the land.

PS. The Catholic kid and I were the only two children in my Lexington elementary school who, greatly embarrassed at the time, excused ourselves from "religious instruction" in the building that now houses the city government. Our parents were vindicated when the school's practice was challenged in court and went down in flames.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2013 Dec 17 17:06

wise,
You read a lot into what I wrote that isn't there because I didn't write it.
But it was nice to discover that you at least researched before you wrote.
Here's one more quote I think you will take umbrage with.
"The Democracy wil cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
Thomas Jefferson
Last edited by Cannoneer on 2013 Dec 20 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Dec 17 18:18

Old Thomas Jefferson didn't happen to mention what to do with people who CAN'T work, did he?

Or, maybe about helping out people with a hovel full of kids who worked at McCornwallis (over 2,000 sold) for a ha'penny day?

TJ had him some slaves......maybe he meant them?

It's always an interesting exercise to attempt to add or deduct from the constitution, items we would prefer to read one way or another by pondering what the political celebrates of 1776 thought about stuff.

Coondog believes that the constitution must be understood as a framework for governance in terms of contemporary reality. What it means to us.......today.

Those old guys were aware that time does not stay frozen.....that things change. Therefore, they made arrangements for adaptation of the constitution to developing needs. For amendments, as it were. And in no time, they offered up two whole handfuls of them for us to argue about.

What did they mean way back then? Who cares? What do they need to mean for us today? That is the question!

:hail: Coondog

And....no! Just because the founders had slaves doesn't mean we can have them, too!

NoAbsoluteRules

Postby NoAbsoluteRules » 2013 Dec 18 05:47

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant.

Maximilien Robespierre

Crux

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 18 08:10

"OK" -crux

Welcome there fella...

NoAbsoluteRules

Postby NoAbsoluteRules » 2013 Dec 18 08:18

Thank you, crux.

Crux

Phil Robertson, Patriarch and Common Man

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 18 18:03

I mean he's said LOTS of really colorful and wonderfilled things but this one
is in the mainstream media and will prickle some, so I share it with you...

“It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

:thumbup:

Crux

Here's one.

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 20 15:23

Take note:

“Abusive language and swearing are a legacy of slavery, humiliation, and disrespect for human dignity, one’s own and that of other people.”

― Lev Davidovich Bronshtein

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Dec 21 05:29

Private lives should be no business of the State. The State is bad enough as it is. It cannot educate or medicate or feed the people; it cannot do anything but kill the people. No State like that do we want prying into our private lives.
Quoted in Gert Jonkers, "Gore Vidal, the Fantastic Man," Butt, No. 20 (7 April 2007)

Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Crux

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 21 17:23

fangz1956 wrote:
Private lives should be no business of the State. The State is bad enough as it is. It cannot educate or medicate or feed the people; it cannot do anything but kill the people. No State like that do we want prying into our private lives.
Quoted in Gert Jonkers, "Gore Vidal, the Fantastic Man," Butt, No. 20 (7 April 2007)

I find it inconsistent that you would post this.
You have so consistently NOT championed reforming our welfare state.

You CROW about "austerity" during the Sequestration, where the effort (now MITIGATED by the most recent budget deal) was simply to cut the RATE OF GROWTH from 10 trillion over 10 years to 9 trillion.

You champion public sector unionized education, obamacare and beyond (full on socialized government run "single payer healthcare"), and have no worries over constantly extending unemployment and food stamps etc?

Am I missing you? Please give me some insight.

The quote seems much too "tea party" for you fangz (small f for "flawed"?)

Crux

evolutionary change

Postby Crux » 2014 Apr 20 09:02

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards,
that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today."
Thomas Sowell

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2014 Apr 20 17:13

Crux wrote:
Am I missing you? Please give me some insight.
The quote seems much too "tea party" for you fangz (small f for "flawed"?)

That quote really isn't "tea party". If you really pay attention to what is acutally happening, it quite far removed from "tea party" ranting, raving, and foaming at the mouth.

We live in a nation that does not adequately provide for the common welfare. Yet, that same nation/government is all to willing to crank up the war machine at the drop of a damn hat. They plead poverty when monies are needed for the common welfare while the "offense" budget is their sacred cow. That same group of war-mongers wants to know what's in my mail, who I chat with, what I read, what I watch & what I do in the privacy of my own home. Nope....I didn't sign on to live in a surveillance state & remain admantly opposed to the government playing fast and loose with those powers.

Yes.......I champion funding the common welfare.
Yes.......I champion quality education for all.
Yes.......I champion universal healthcare along with an overhaul of the current U.S. healthcare system.
Yes.......I champion personal privacy.
Yes.......I champion gay marriage.
Yes.......I champion the Lili Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.
Yes.......I champion Roe v. Wade.
Yes.......I champion equal voting rights for all.
Yes.......I champion raising the minimum wage.

And, my new pet cause is becoming a champion of the National Popular Vote Movement.

And just so we are clear here......I oppose any goverment that supports unending war, bigotry, misogyny, racism, radical religions of any kind including the Bible-thumping, chest-beating ignorant proponents of the extreme Christian Right...aka The Tea Party! Further, I will not support any politican in power who supports the Keystone XL Pipeline & the Trans Pacific Partnership. And to complete my rant here.......we need to see that impeachment proceedings are begun against the SCOTUS justices who gutted the Voting Rights Act & handed us Citizens United and McCutcheon.

I think you need to remove your tin foil hat and go back and read Mr. Vidal's quote again. It is you who are missing the point, not I.

:coffee:

Flawed? No more so than any other human.....but I have feet of chocolate rather than clay.

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2014 Apr 30 09:39

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2014 Jun 24 16:42

Shiny stones are not "speech."

Merchant-caste administrative constructs are not "persons."

stolen from the comments section of the Daily Kos
by Coondog :razz: