Quote of the Day: got some neat quotations?

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Neck-aint-red

Quote of the Day: got some neat quotations?

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2010 Nov 23 09:31

Here's my starter:
Bob Herbert on Nov 22, 2010, the anniversary of JFK's assasination, wrote:Kennedy declared that we would go to the moon.
Chris Christie tells us that we are incapable of building a railroad tunnel beneath the Hudson River.

Sam

Re: Quote of the Day: got some neat quotations?

Postby Sam » 2010 Nov 27 09:12

Hey Pal, Christie said New Jersey doesn't have the money to build the tunnel. Maybe the state of NY might help with the expenses. Remember States have to have a balanced budget whereas our old federal governement can spend and spend forever. I shake my old head because I see what is happening in other countries and figure we are headed in the same direction.

I saw the interview by Brian Williams with Christie and Williams kept saying to Christie, surely you can find the money for the tunnel and Christies kept saying we don't have the money. So how can you build something thats takes billions of dollars when you are a state that is over loaded anyway. I shake my head in disbelief at this. So Pal, they aren't incapable of building the tunnel, they don't have the money.
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2010 Nov 28 10:53

Sam wrote:... Christie said New Jersey doesn't have the money to build the tunnel. Maybe the state of NY might help with the expenses.

Most of the money WAS to come from other parties, New York and the federal government in particular. New Jersey has ample resources, so it is a question of priorities. Christie, asking the questions:
  1. Do I think it is important to invest now for New Jersey's future with infrastructure that will support expanded commerce and more competitive facilities?
  2. Do I put any value on the the many construction and operations jobs that will be created by this project?
  3. Is this important enough to raise our anomalously low gasoline tax slightly to be on a par with neighboring states, or do I want to keep subsidizing expanded energy/gasoline consumption?
  4. Would it make sense to issue long term bonds to finance the project, long term revenues from a successful project and its commercial benefits justifying them?
  5. Or will I deny everything above so that already-rich people can keep their money and evade their fair share of investment for the common good?
Like almost all Republicans these days, he answered "NO" to all but e. They care for nothing except for helping already-rich people remain so at the expense of everybody else.
:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2010 Nov 29 15:20

Hey.....since I don't have any money, either, I can address this with some authority. It's a valid point!

Yet, it is also true that those who would benefit the most are probably those who have some money and are not going to part with it withought a fight. Me? I'd like to have some stuff and I'd love to have somebody else pay for it. But, it seems rather pointless to ask for money from those who also have none......to the exclusion of those who do.

Of course, current common wisdom is that those with the money and most to gain will build the tunnel on their own as long as the government doesn't interfere with pesky government standards or regulations :bricks: .......and as long as they don't have to pay any taxes.

There's some folks out west who dig fine tunnels from Mexico to San Diego who will probably do the job on the cheap.

Coondog

Send lawyers guns and money

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2011 Feb 11 09:39

Peter Goodman on 02/11/11 wrote:For far too long, the public has suffered under the tyranny of dueling narratives served up by one or another interest group seeking self-serving shortcuts around nuanced truths, all the while shortchanging the clarity of important debates about the biggest issues of the day -- from health care reform to defense policy to education. Journalists have too often perpetuated the false notion that seemingly any issue can be cleanly divided into right and left, conservative and liberal, because these labels make our work simpler, supplying us with a handy structure we can impose at will on typically uncooperative facts.

Journalists so frequently deal in the false liberal-conservative dichotomy because it generates the sort of tension that feeds narrative, and narrative makes for more accessible stories. Simply dividing up the interests into two neatly-differentiated competing camps enables lazy beat reporters to claim to have painted all of reality with but two phone calls. Why venture outside and talk to ordinary people -- whose experiences and views almost always challenge the traditional labels -- when we can simply sit at our desks and dial up a D and then an R and gather a pair of quotes that supposedly cover the whole spectrum of the American take on anything?

Political hacks trade in the labels of right and left because it allows them to manipulate the public with shortcut phrases that demonize those in the other camp, making it easier to derail whatever initiative needs killing at the moment. Banking reform is neatly pilloried as a leftist assault on free enterprise by financial institutions intent on perpetuating corporate welfare policies. Organized labor too sweepingly dismisses expanded trade -- even foreign purchases of U.S. companies that create jobs for U.S. workers -- while decrying the trend as part of a an assault from the right.

Crux

NPR said... (from the AP)

Postby Crux » 2011 Mar 10 19:24

A follow-up video from conservative activists targeting NPR shows that its former CEO and its top lawyer were aware of a potential $5 million contribution from a phony Muslim group.

NPR has said "...the group did not meet its standards for potential donors and that it never came close to accepting the donation."

The video includes recorded phone conversations between NPR executive Betsy Liley and an activist posing as a wealthy donor from a nonprofit with ties to the fundamentalist Muslim Brotherhood.

They discuss the logistics of such a donation and the circumstances under which the gift could be kept anonymous.

:lol:
crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2011 Mar 13 08:14

"Instead of comparing our lot with that of those who are more
fortunate than we are, we should compare it with the lot of
the great majority of our fellow men. It then appears that we
are among the privileged."

-- Helen Keller
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2011 Mar 13 18:45

I like it!

Crux

And yet...

Postby Crux » 2011 Mar 17 20:52

...this seems a favorite past-time for too many here... :turn: "DAMN THOSE RICH WEALTHY *********!!" :director:

"...comparing (their) lot with that of those who are more
fortunate than (they) are..."

c...

It is a laudable sentiment if only (some) could meditate upon it more FULLY! :hello2:
crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2011 Mar 17 21:17

As usual you are completely wrong, willfully misrepresenting the opinions of others.
Stick to your own opinions, and please cease speaking for the rest of us.
I have nothing against people smart enough and productive enough to gain wealth honestly.
I have everything against people who, having accumulated wealth, believe they are entitled to avoid the tax burdens that the rest of us must bear.
The wealthy and powerful have bought all Republicans and many Democrats, jiggering the tax laws against the poor so that the rich can escape their fair share of taxation.
The rest of us want only fairness and have no interest in the contemptible charges you libel everybody else with.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2011 Mar 18 08:19

Bravo, WO!!!

Well said.

The only other thing I can add is this. I have major issues with anyone taking a free ride. I've seen way too many on the welfare dole dressed in designer clothes (their kids, too), sporting designer bags, driving a better car than myself.....while I work for living and could not/cannot provide designer clothes for my kids. There is that sense of entitlement at both ends of the spectrum. I do not, for one nanosecond, wish to deny aid to the truly needy among us. But, way too many have learned how to game the system and get a free ride for no work.

:bath:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Sam

Postby Sam » 2011 Mar 18 08:38

Wise One wrote:As usual you are completely wrong, willfully misrepresenting the opinions of others.
Stick to your own opinions, and please cease speaking for the rest of us.
I have nothing against people smart enough and productive enough to gain wealth honestly.
I have everything against people who, having accumulated wealth, believe they are entitled to avoid the tax burdens that the rest of us must bear.
The wealthy and powerful have bought all Republicans and many Democrats, jiggering the tax laws against the poor so that the rich can escape their fair share of taxation.
The rest of us want only fairness and have no interest in the contemptible charges you libel everybody else with.

Hey Pal, to those of us who are fairly new here, that is the way it seems to me. But am glad that you don't paint all with the same paint brush. And it seems to me that Crux is stating his opinions. As for labeling others with contemptible charges may I respectfully say - that is the way I view many of you folks. You have used some mighty dang contemptible words against those of the opposite beliefs. I would be glad to dredge them up but won't for now.

I believe the adminstrator wants us all to play nice. Oh and Fangz, I want to post some stuff about Japan and was wondering where I should put it. Could you help me with that.
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2011 Mar 18 15:51

Crux can come up with rather snarky opinions on every subject under the sun.

As far as name-calling, ya gotta let it go Sam. You and crux are the ones who keep trying to flame the boards and incite maliciousness.

As for Japan.....start a new thread just for that topic. Oh my, what a concept!!!!!

:razz:

P.S. Sam, check the thinness of your skin. I thought my request in the Mother Nature's Power thread was polite and not out of line. Hmmmmmm.........methinks perhaps you resent not being able to control every thread on the board.

Crux

My Quote:

Postby Crux » 2011 Mar 18 18:26

"I am turning over a new leaf..."

My alter ego is taking hold, responding to the challenge laid before me by the ever so polite Fangzzzz...

If you do not believe my quote, try this one:

"When you are looking at purely dollars and cents, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. The Volt isn't particularly efficient as an electric vehicle and it's not particularly good as a gas vehicle either in terms of fuel economy," said David Champion, the senior director of Consumer Reports auto testing center at a meeting with reporters here. "This is going to be a tough sell to the average consumer."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110228/AUT ... eports--GM’s-Volt-‘doesn’t-really-make-a-lot-of-sense’#ixzz1Gzb9vmxs

Too funny. What is the silly ad tag line, "The Chey Volt: It's more car than electric" or is it the other way around? Either way, ya gotta PLUG IT IN TO THE GRID FOLKS to charge it up... Imagine 1 MILLION of these TURDS sucking JUICE!

c...

Sam

Time to build a bridge and get over it

Postby Sam » 2011 Mar 18 21:49

fangz1956 wrote:Crux can come up with rather snarky opinions on every subject under the sun.
As far as name-calling, ya gotta let it go Sam. You and crux are the ones who keep trying to flame the boards and incite maliciousness.
As for Japan.....start a new thread just for that topic. Oh my, what a concept!!!!!
P.S. Sam, check the thinness of your skin. I thought my request in the Mother Nature's Power thread was polite and not out of line. Hmmmmmm.........methinks perhaps you resent not being able to control every thread on the board.

Funny Gal, but I can't seem to win with you not that I am in a race. First I will make this as simple as I can.

“flame the boards and incite maliciousness”.......As I repeated before for a couple of days there I took previous statements made by some on the forum and changed conservative or Republican to liberal to show that many on this forum have a double standard. By that I mean that it is ok for several to use negative words or as you put it flame the boards and incite maliciousness but not for Crux or myself. You Fangz have been quite malicious and appearing out of control on several of your postings.

‘Check the thinness of your skin’....that might be a good one for you because it seemed to me Gal, that you quite lost your cool on several occasions and were quite spiteful. Need I quote some of your responses here.

As for trying to control every thread on the board, I have not desire to do that. Well Folks, guess I have had my attempt at explaining. But feel it may fall on deaf ears.
I am not upset, do not hold any resentment and don’t feel out of control, In fact I am doing quite well for an old codger.
As for your request in the Mother Nature power thread - I bowed to your wishes and edited my statement in my effort to be more accommodating and never said you were not polite. You never acknowledged my efforts at accommodating you and that I had started a new subject which the administrator took out and put under the Mother Nature stuff.

I really did want to know where I could post my comments regarding Japan and was asking you. Seems to me that you are the one thin skinned. So I would suggest that you build a bridge and get over it as my grandson likes to say.
"extremists

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2011 Mar 20 10:10

“Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know “why” I look this way. I’ve traveled a long way and some of the roads weren’t paved. ”

Will Rogers (1879-1935);

actor, comic, columnist

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2011 Mar 20 10:14

Sam,

I grew thick skin a long time ago. The fact that you think otherwise leads me to believe that you jump to conclusions about people on a regular basis.......engaging in the very same activities that you accuse others of doing.

I told where to post your Japan comments....plain and simple. It ain't rocket science.

As for that bridge..........that building job is for you, not me. Get off of it already and get a life.

Sam

Postby Sam » 2011 Mar 21 05:53

fangz1956 wrote:I grew thick skin a long time ago.
I noticed

fangz1956 wrote:The fact that you think otherwise leads me to believe that you jump to conclusions about people on a regular basis.......engaging in the very same activities that you accuse others of doing.
I have been quoting others

fangz1956 wrote:I told where to post your Japan comments....plain and simple. It ain't rocket science.:
Thank you appreciate your help.

fangz1956 wrote:As for that bridge..........that building job is for you, not me. Get off of it already and get a life.
I feel the love and its warm and fuzzy.
"extremists

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2011 Mar 22 07:08

"The more you find out about the world, the more opportunities
there are to laugh at it."

-- Bill Nye

:sip:

Crux

B.O. ...the candidate...

Postby Crux » 2011 Mar 22 07:55

"I suffer no illusions about Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal man. A ruthless man. A man who butchers his own people to secure his own power. He has repeatedly defied UN resolutions, thwarted U.N. inspection teams, developed chemical and biological weapons, and coveted nuclear capacity ... But ... Saddam poses no imminent and direct threat to the United States, or to his neighbors ..."

...and before that, Dec. 20, 2007:

“The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation...”

Obummer now?

...not so much... :shakeh:

c... :coffee: