Is Rockbridge Wonderful, Nuts, or Evil?

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Neck-aint-red

Is Rockbridge Wonderful, Nuts, or Evil?

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2010 May 11 22:47

I think I must have seen this story at least 3 times in the past year or so, essentially the same each time only with different women and different victim firms.

Have Rockbridge women gone nuts? Or are they so badly oppressed that they must turn to crime to subsist? And why is embezzlement so popular with them? Inquiring minds want to know!

On May 5, 2010, The News-Gazette wrote:Local Woman Indicted For Embezzlement

A Lexington woman was indicted by a Rockbridge County grand jury Monday for embezzling money from a local veterinary clinic over a five-year period.

Molly Bane Moore, 30, of 180 Hidden Ridge Drive, Lexington, was indicted on five counts of embezzlement from the Blue Ridge Animal Clinic.

Sheriff R.W. Day could not comment on the exact amount of money that had been embezzled from the clinic on Maury River Road, but said it was “substantial.” The embezzlement took place between Jan. 1, 2005, and Dec. 31, 2009.

Wise One

Re: Is Rockbridge Wonderful, Nuts, or Evil?

Postby Wise One » 2010 Sep 13 23:56

Here's my nomination in the "Wonderful" category. Lime Kiln, after its rescue, seems to be a wonderful showcase. I had the pleasure of attending a super performance by the Seldom Scene there recently, and took this photo of old friends Ben Eldridge and Fayssoux Starling McLean. Click on the image to see it full size.
IMG_2852w.jpg
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Anonymoose

Postby Anonymoose » 2010 Sep 15 21:25

Lime Kiln notwithstanding, I vote "nuts!"

See http://maisestudio.com/rock/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=226

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2012 Mar 02 13:38

It has happened again – yet another Rockbridge woman is nabbed for embezzlement. Is there something in the water here that drives the fair sex to this particular crime? Or are employers here unusually and magnificently incompetent at keeping tabs on their money? This story is repeated every few months with remarkable regularity!
On 29 Feb 2012, News-Gazette wrote:County Woman Charged In Bank Embezzlement
An investigation into the misappropriation of $52,000 from BB&T in Buena Vista resulted in multiple charges against Kimberly Kerr Buchanan, 36, of 26 Rolling Ridge Lane, Lexington.

According to Investigator J.W. Miller of the Buena Vista Police Department, Buchanan allegedly redeemed a certificate of deposit belonging to a relative and issued checks on that money. She has been charged with four counts of embezzlement, five counts of forgery and three counts of uttering a check.

Embezzlement charges are also pending against Buchanan in Rockbridge County where Buchanan, after being transferred from the Buena Vista BB&T branch to College Square, allegedly took approximately $1,000 from a cash drawer. A bank internal investigation resulted in local authorities becoming involved. The offenses took place over a two-year period. Miller emphasized that in all cases, BB&T is the victim of the crimes.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2012 Jun 13 16:19

A film about Sally Munger Mann, local artist:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2012 Nov 23 18:42

AGAIN !! It has happened yet again, another in a long string of embezzlement cases by the wild women of Rockbridge County.

It's an epidemic, I tell you, an observation I've made before. Can anybody explain the enormous popularity of this crime among those of the female persuasion? I cannot remember the last time a male got nailed for this brand of misbehavior, but females by the pack keep getting thrown into Rockbridge jails.

On November 21, 2012, the News-Gazette wrote:Woman Charged In Squad Auxiliary Theft
Over $10,000 Embezzled Over 17 Months

An arrest has been made in a case of embezzlement from the Glasgow Life Saving and First Aid Crew Auxiliary.

Tamara Preston, 50, of Glasgow has been charged with three counts of embezzlement, according to Glasgow town Sgt. Aaron Britton. Britton said “in excess of $10,000” was embezzled over a 17-month period. The investigation is ongoing. Britton added that Preston is cooperating with the investigation being conducted by the Glasgow Police Department.

Preston has been released on her own recognizance. She is scheduled to appear in Rockbridge County General District Court on Nov. 27 for the appointment of an attorney. Disposition of the case is set for Jan. 8, 2013.

Glasgow Life Saving and First Aid Crew President Larry Mayo said in a press release from the volunteer squad last week that the discrepancy in the auxiliary’s checking account was discovered on Nov. 6 and was found to be attributable to the unauthorized use of a debit card. The account was immediately frozen by the bank at the squad’s request.

The Glasgow squad’s executive board met that day with the officers of the auxiliary, and a confession was made, Mayo said. All information was documented and turned over to the Glasgow Police Department on Nov. 8 for investigation.

Mayo went on to state, “The funds that were involved were only in the Glasgow Life Saving and First Aid Crew Inc. Auxiliary account. No funds of the Glasgow Life Saving and First Aid Crew Inc. were involved. No funds received from the town of Glasgow, Rockbridge County, fund drives or memorial donations were involved.

“Our auxiliary is a vital part of our organization,” Mayo continued. “The services they provide are invaluable to us. We are going forward as a more unified organization with financial safeguards in place to ensure that a situation like this does not happen again.”

Roger Funkhouser, treasurer of the Glasgow Lifesaving and First Aid Crew, has taken over the day-to-day management of the auxiliary account.

PS. Maybe Rockbridge does not have a monopoly on this female crime.

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2013 Jul 07 13:09

Just when you thought small-minded authoritarian excess could not get worse among our police, it got worse. This item is a gem:
The Rockbridge Advocate wrote:Obscenity charges against a county teenager who had truck nuts hanging from his truck ball hitch were dropped by county prosecutors. The youth was cited by State Police despite the General Assembly's refusal to outlaw the ornaments.

ballnuts.jpg
ballnuts.jpg (45.24 KiB) Viewed 11374 times

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2013 Jul 15 16:44

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2014 Jan 21 22:26

Wonderful News! We may be getting back the Theater at Lime Kiln!

Kit Huffman of the News-Gazette wrote:Relighting The Kiln
... a core group of the Kiln’s former board of directors, along with new board members and a volunteer executive director want to shake the local theater awake and revive it in a grassroots, community effort. ...

“We’re trying to bring it back,” said Mike Stolarz, chairman of the revived board, last week. “We’ve got a good foundation. I’m really jazzed about it.”
The new executive director is Spencer McElroy, a 2009 Washington and Lee graduate who brings a range of abilities to the project: musicianship, experience in promoting music festivals and − perhaps not least, for a site sorely in need of repair − construction.

Lime Kiln went “dark,” in theater terminology, at the end of 2012 after an ambitious “Stoke the Kiln” fundraising project fell far short of its $400,000 goal. In September of that year, then-executive director Tony Russell had presented the county Board of Supervisors with an ultimatum: contribute toward the Kiln’s goal of $200,000 in hoped-for local government funding or accept that the theater would have to close. That month, the Kiln put on its final regular-season production of Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night” and, in October, brainstormed ways to go on, including a phased approach to repairs and laying off all paid staff.

But, in December, the clock struck midnight with the board’s decision to cancel a “Classical Victorian Christmas” at Washington and Lee’s Lenfest Center
and to return $60,000 in recent community donations. Also declined were a previously secured $93,000 loan from the USDA Rural Development and a renovation commitment from Lowe’s Home Improvement Center. ...

Trend Setter

Postby Trend Setter » 2014 Apr 29 12:44

What wonderful news. I LOVE the Lime Kiln theater and was heartbroken when it closed.

Can anybody here give us an update on its new incarnation? How solid is its financial footing now? What is necessary to make this work permanently for us? Any problems we should be aware of?

Lexington SO needs things like this to keep us alive and vital!

:clap:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Jun 22 13:20

Thanks to your alert, I was able to get to the Seldom Scene concert at Lime Kiln a few weeks ago. I love those guys.
Ben Eldridge and I had a great conversation after the concert and this photo is our memento.
I apologize for the quality of the photograph. He was really tired, and I forgot to take off my hat and mask.
(I had considered robbing Lime Kiln and making off with all the loot, but a peek at the till convinced me it wasn't worth the risk.)

ben&wiseone.jpg
ben&wiseone.jpg (43.91 KiB) Viewed 9987 times

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2014 Jun 22 14:12

Looks more like Ben Eldridge posing with captured member of ISIS who had advanced to the outskirts of Lexington by disguising himself as Dick Cheney.

These tourists have got to be stopped!

Coondog :police:

Your papers please...................

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Jun 24 17:23

Papers? Papers? I don't have to show you any steenkin' papers.

Here's another great shot of the Seldom Scene I got that night, excellent seats. (Click for full size)

DSC03813w.jpg

:coffee:

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2014 Sep 05 14:24

It's happened yet again!

Embezzlement by women is rampant in Rockbridge, and we just keep packing the ladies off to the hoosegow for this particular crime. What the hell is going on?
Dudley Pleads Guilty In Church Embezzlement, by Roberta Anderson

Marilyn Dudley, 56, of 59 Blacks Creek Road, Lexington, on Tuesday pleaded guilty in Rockbridge County Circuit Court to 24 counts of embezzlement over a 10-year period from Collierstown Presbyterian Church.
Law enforcement officials working with church personnel estimate that Dudley took approximately $167,000 during that time. Rockbridge County Sheriff’s Office Investigator Tony McFaddin told the court that Dudley had access to the money while serving in various positions of authority. Dudley used a debit card for personal purchases, wrote checks made out to cash and allegedly misused cash collections taken for various causes.
Dudley did not testify Tuesday. She has so far made $20,000 in restitution payments to the church. She will be sentenced on Dec. 9.

firebringer

Thunder In The Valley Event

Postby firebringer » 2014 Sep 20 21:43

I heard Friday evening that the historical re-enactors tore through
Middlebrook causing all kinds of damage to valuable fox hunting horses
(including the hunt master's horses), property, etc. The riders
didn't follow historic routes, besides they were supposed to be
sneaking through that part of Middlebrook not causing a ruckus. The
News-Gazette is too chicken to report anything like that. I think they get most of their story ideas anyway from Doug.
"Plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens." Madame Roland

Trend Setter

Re: Thunder In The Valley Event

Postby Trend Setter » 2014 Sep 21 14:20

Now that's interesting. Buffs gone Amok!

Are there any published news stories you can point to giving us more details? (who, what, where, why, when?)

Sweetness 'n Light

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2014 Oct 22 12:49

If they was like me maybe the embezzelers is because their husbands don't give them enough money and they just need it and there isnt a way to get it cause it is just too tempting if they handle some other mans' money all day. I say they should be punished anyway to teach them a lesson even though they probably needed it, huh? That would teach them a lesson and maybe their husbands will get the message and not be so stingy anymore, huh?

But the thing that is really worrying me is I saw in a paper that the county is going to buy drones and fly all over us just like in Pakistand which is really scary. What is wrong with those people anyway? I think it is just crazy that I could be changing my clothes and the county would fly a drone and take pictures of me and then pass them around on the county employees computer and maybe even put them on the county website, huh? They could do that to be mean if you maybe don't pay your taxes on time and that makes me worried cause we are late this time on taxes, but we'll pay them soon as we can even though they might waste our hard earned money on drones and stupid stuff like that.

But I had a thought maybe its not all bad that if they had the drones maybe they could get all the illegal aileens here in Rockbridge and even though they drive all illegal with no licenses they could not get away fast enough and the county police could execute them by shooting a rocket from the drone? They do this a few times and that would teach them a good lesson, huh? And maybe the rest of them would get skared and run back to Mexico and Islamer countries where they came from, huh? I have lots of good ideas like this.

Love and kisses ..............

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Jan 22 15:00

You don't miss a thing, do you Sweetness?

On another note, the musical extravaganza hosted by David and Linda Krantz last week was out of this world. Musicians of every quality, from the best to the worst, stepped up and gave it their all. It was totally charming.

The Krantzes make Rockbridge everything it can and should be!

DSC05249w.jpg
DSC05249w.jpg (150.22 KiB) Viewed 8205 times

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Feb 09 11:04

This is just weird. The Board of Supervisors has voted to spend $20K of our money (another $30K is requested of other government bodies) to fund a study by “The Southeastern Research Institute” according to the News-Gazette, on promoting business in Rockbridge.

I can’t find a web site for this outfit (in Atlanta?), and the only work I’ve found by them is in aeronautics. Maybe they meant Southeast Research Institute, on the beach in Florida, also no findable web site.

In my experience these kinds of business promotional studies are a huge waste of money that almost never yield anything but expense to government, feed contractors very nicely thank you, and in the worst cases lead to additional investments that are disasters (e.g. Buena Vista golf course.)

Is this as cockamamie as it looks, or is there anything solid here? Who is “Southeast …” and what are its ties to local people who want to funnel money to them?

Rusty Ford voted against it. He has a pretty good head on his shoulders.

Coondog

The irony

Postby Coondog » 2015 Feb 09 14:42

So.....the group most responsible for running off potential business investment wants to waste $30,000 on advice on how not to run off business?

Good news! Coondog Consulting service is available at half the price and the first report is free.

Coondog :typ:

Hint: Lesson #1 concerns the removal of ears that receive objections from those who fear making a wrong turn and facing a 'viewshed' that isn't 100% bull thistles, cedar trees, kudzu and honeysuckle.