Mother Nature ONLY

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
fangz1956

Re: Mother Nature ONLY

Postby fangz1956 » 2012 Aug 27 08:42

Stunning Hurricane Photos from Space

Just in case there is any question as to how weak & powerless petty humans really are in the grand scheme of things...;)
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2012 Aug 28 13:14

I love a nice Geek!

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2012 Sep 24 12:14

Top 100 Images from Hubble Telescope

WOW!!!!

Space........the final frontier.

:wink2:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2012 Sep 29 12:56

We all want to concentrate on the beauty and wonder of Nature only but some folks just won't let us.
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2013 Jan 27 09:27

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2013 Feb 07 09:59

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Feb 15 17:34

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2013 Feb 15 18:02

That is amazing. We rarely get to see events of this scale. They happen rarely, and people are not often there to video them.

Crux

Mother Nature is Pretty Unforgiving and it happens QUICKLY

Postby Crux » 2013 Feb 18 13:09

Sometimes nature just gets in our way, you know? All we want to do is have a little fun. Be HUMAN...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... IdJMVkLOyY

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2013 Feb 27 12:56

It's too bad Crux & company got flagged for "copyright infringement." I want to see the offending image!

Meanwhile, here's one for your consideration:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 May 24 15:23

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 Jun 17 12:01

Most of us want to protect Mother Nature. But this controversy over "wild horses" misses the fundamental point by a mile. I can resonate with concerns over mindless cruelty, but I have problems at a really basic level with this program and what many seem to support:

• Calling these animals Wild Horses is gross deflection from reality. Horses in the American wild are not wild horses because horses are not native to the Americas.
  • They are a non-indigenous species, introduced to the Americas by Europeans.
  • The correct term for these horses is Non-indigenous Feral Horses.
  • These animals enjoy disproportionate public favor as charismatic megafauna.
  • It is stupidly wasteful to forbid the using of a dead horse, so long as health and safety protocols are observed, for animal and human food. We think nothing of eating the old hen that no longer lays eggs for us, and we should regard horses at the end of their lives in the same way.
  • This a classic example of Man, arrogantly presuming to be better at management than Nature, first introducing an invasive species an then trying to have it both ways: preserve the invasion, and eliminate damage. This almost always fails.
:coffee:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Jun 21 13:47

Not entirely Mother Nature all on her own........but a beautiful human compliment in lovely NY village known as Sleepy Hollow. I was there this past week and will definitely return when I have more leisure time in which to enjoy and absorb it all. Traveling for business doesn't always leave time to truly enjoy the surroundings in which one finds oneself.

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2013 Jul 21 22:04

Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in physics, on Beauty.

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2013 Jul 22 09:42

Wise One wrote:The correct term for these [wild] horses is Non-indigenous Feral Horses.
Amen, brother. And what smiley could be more appropriate to this discussion than :beatdead: ?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 Jul 29 14:09

This is an amazing natural beauty in Rockbridge County, giving us its name. I means so much to so many. I've wondered since childhood why this was not a public park rather than a tawdry make-a-buck operation, and it would appear we have another chance to make this happen.

On July 19, 2013, The News-Gazette wrote:July 19, 2013
Editor:

The Natural Bridge of Virginia is for sale and scheduled for public auction in several parcels come this November. The Rockbridge Area Conservation Council and the Valley Conservation Council are co-leading a new coalition of local and regional conservation and historic resource groups, the Virginia Natural Bridge Coalition.
The VNBC’s mission: “To effect perpetual stewardship of and access to the Natural Bridge of Virginia as a state or national park/monument, or other suitable holder/owner; to conserve the property’s undeveloped non-commercial lands, and to support the harmonious development of adjacent private tourist businesses.”

As the mission of the VNBC fundamentally aligns with the mission of RACC, the RACC board of directors has resolved: “Whereas the Rockbridge Area Conservation Council’s mission is ‘to promote the wise stewardship and sustainable use of natural and cultural resources through education, advocacy and action in order to protect and enhance the quality of life for present and future inhabitants of Rockbridge,’ and whereas RACC recognizes the essential importance of the Virginia Natural Bridge Coalition’s mission;
“Now therefore be it resolved that [RACC] fully supports and commits to be a leading partner within the local, state and national effort to ensure that this natural wonder be protected, accessible to the public, and forever preserved for the benefit of the citizens of, and visitors to, the United States of America.”
RACC, the VCC and the VNBC urge other organizations, and all citizens to support this project’s vision and to join ranks with the Rockbridge County Board of Supervisors, the city councils of Lexington and Buena Vista, the Historic Lexington Foundation, RACC, the VCC and others by adopting an official resolution supporting this idea. We can provide a resolution template to help other groups craft their own. Please send a copy of your group’s resolution to RACC, and we will make sure it is received by the state and national legislators and departments. RACC also encourages you to send a copy directly to your legislators.

Here are other ways to help:

Visit Facebook and “like” the Natural Bridge Park page.

Sign the online petition. Contact and petition your federal and state legislators: Rep. Bob Goodlatte; Sen. Tim Kaine;
Sen. Mark Warner; district25@senate.virginia.gov Sen. Creigh Deeds;
DelBCline@house.virginia.gov Del. Ben Cline

Our community can realize this win-win outcome if we can rapidly build political will and motivate our governmental leadership to push toward creation of a Natural Bridge of Virginia Park. May we count on your help?
More detailed information is posted at these two Web sites: http://rockbridgeconservation.org/ and http://valleyconservation.org/2013/07/n ... e-for-sale.
If you have further questions about the coalition’s plans, please contact racc@rockbridge.net.

PHILLIP COULLING and LEE MERRILL
co-presidents, Rockbridge Area Conservation Council

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 Aug 02 16:06

Ridiculous.

I hope it gets thrown out of court, promptly.

:coffee:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Aug 02 16:40

Whadda ya got against Horses?

:hum:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 Aug 02 22:18

I love horses. I love chickens too.

But I recognize a reality that Nature imposes on us. All animals come to the end of their lives.

In the case of a hen that has stopped laying, we do not pass laws forbidding using it for human and animal food. There are no old age homes for chickens.

Nor are there enough old-age homes for all the horses that can no longer race or run or walk. I see only good in carrying on the traditional practice of using those animals for human and animal food. It's laudable recycling.

PS. Full disclosure ... when I lived in Holland, horse meat was very popular. It is delicious.