Human, All Too Human

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
fangz1956

Re: Human, All Too Human

Postby fangz1956 » 2012 Nov 12 09:37

Now, just what is it exactly that makes Juggler a toad and a Prince of Fools????? Why would anybody be offended by his latest post???? There's nothing offensive there.......and his comment is what almost every man with a pulse is thinking.

Personally, I find Juggler's humor refreshing.......and this place certainly needs some lighening up!!!!!!

Crux.......lighten up and get a damn real life!!!

:thumbup:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Uji

Re: Not what Uji had in mind I think...

Postby Uji » 2012 Nov 21 09:50

crux wrote:Yes every man is tempted, and often all it takes is a willing partner. Mis Broadwell was willing. David was able.

This is what interests me in the story. It's not question of morality, I think, but of loyalty. I'd say that there is little more important than the loyalty between spouses. (Why get married otherwise?) Divorce is reasonable when that loyalty breaks down; but infidelity is not. To me, it's just fundamental ethics: A husband makes a commitment; when that commitment can't be sustained -- for what ever reason -- man-up and sue for divorce.

I think Petraeus shows himself at least man enough to recognize that this is a life-defining moment for him. I hope we and the press leave him and his wife alone to deal with it.

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2012 Dec 12 11:33

Iconic Photograph: An American Girl in Italy (1951)

Uji

Postby Uji » 2012 Dec 13 13:59

Juggler wrote:Iconic Photograph: An American Girl in Italy (1951)

Great photo. Smithsonian had an article on it a few months ago. They interviewed the girl! (An old lady, now.) She said the whole thing was staged, with several walk-bys and various versions. Interesting piece.

Crux

Re: Not what Uji had in mind I think...

Postby Crux » 2013 Feb 20 12:29

Uji wrote:
crux wrote:Yes every man is tempted, and often all it takes is a willing partner. Mis Broadwell was willing. David was able.

This is what interests me in the story. It's not question of morality, I think, but of loyalty. I'd say that there is little more important than the loyalty between spouses. (Why get married otherwise?) Divorce is reasonable when that loyalty breaks down; but infidelity is not. To me, it's just fundamental ethics: A husband makes a commitment; when that commitment can't be sustained -- for what ever reason -- man-up and sue for divorce.

I think Petraeus shows himself at least man enough to recognize that this is a life-defining moment for him. I hope we and the press leave him and his wife alone to deal with it.

To this date no one on this forum seems interested in Benghazi, the outed CIA director 4 Star David, the firing of the head of Africom, 4 star General Ham, or the Fleet Admiral Gaouette. Look folks, Obama, as CIC, turned his back on what. A OP gone bad? A troubling visual during an election season? No. He abandoned our Ambassador and Staffer and TWO SEALS (CIA Operators) and left them to die. Further, he lied for weeks about what was what. Sh!+ Happens but this, was just SH!++^

Maybe one day some here will be curious...

Buck Turgidson

Postby Buck Turgidson » 2013 Feb 21 18:50

I read the article "Understanding the GOP’s Benghazi Obsession" carefully but still don't have a clue why the rage is so intense. Sure, it's bad news, but the Republicans yawned when they lost 60 people in diplomatic attacks on their watch.

So, it's a big yawn to me.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Feb 22 15:01

I think I understand it all too well.

When Clinton was President, they used Ken Starr, then impeachment to pry into every neuance of executive office communications in order to discredit the democratic encumbant.

During George Bush's tenure, everything was top secret. The "Americanism" of anyone who dared question anything the executive branch did or said was deemed suspect.

Now, we have another democratic encumbant. It's not Benghazi, per se, that they're after. It's any internal executive branch communications that they can expose in support of whatever conspiracy theory they've bought into this week....or to help them devise a new one.

The nonsense about '4 star General Ham, or the Fleet Admiral Gaouette' is as much nonsense as the 'Friends of Hamaas' .
I looked up the informatipon on the General and the Admiral and there is nothing remotely connected with Benghazi or some ethereal aspect thereof that needs to be covered up. Friends of Hamaas? I don't think they have any friends!

But I digress....which is the whole point. If we must spend all of our time on distractions, whether real or imagined, we have an excuse for doing nothing while still garnering face time on the cable news networks.

The plan is simple. Degrade the office of the presidency when you don't have it. Steep it in secrecy, expansion of power and abuse when you do. It's what they do.

It used to be, (back in Nixon's day) when they got caught doing something shameful, they were embarassed about it. Now they don't care because they have found that there is no accountability and any outrage over today's absurdity will be eclipsed by whatever greater nonsense they come up with tomorrow.

One must respect their ability to do that and their proficiency at it as much as one must despise them for it.

This sort of behavior explains why today we are called Americans instead of Romans.

Coondog :hum:

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2013 Dec 29 15:09

Here's an interesting poll to take placing you on the liberal/conservative spectrum on the basis of answers to simple questions.
FYI, here's my result. (click on image to see the whole thing)

Capturecrime.JPG
Capturecrime.JPG (40.85 KiB) Viewed 2482 times

Crux

Pondering Uji and reality.

Postby Crux » 2014 Apr 04 10:48

Uji wrote:
Well, how do you account for the intolerance we all show on these pages? Not racial or even political intolerance, but intolerance of human failings?

We somehow think that, this time, it will be different; this time, everyone will be honest (even with themselves), the rich will give up their wealth willingly, the powerful will bow to the needs of the powerless and that -- this time -- we will...what?...Enter the promised land?

This is neither reasonable nor realistic. Human nature doesn't change "this time" or anytime. Things get better; things get worse. But there is never going to be a time when some human does not chose to use a new technology for evil if s/he thinks it will be useful to do so; nor when some human does not chose their own (or their tribe's welfare) over that of another. That's not to say no human ever will; it's just to say that human nature does not change.

Human nature does not change.

I often think on Uji's thread. It is thick and touches upon truth. I think he falls down where all leftists fall down. He thinks himself immune somehow from bigotry and bias. You read it here in this excerpt from his first post. Do not get me wrong. I like and respect his words. I agree. I disagree.

I fight the good fight. I tell myself and the visitor that. In the above excerpt Uji seems to deride both faith and wealth. Amy P. likes to bash the faithful, the Christian, the KOOK. It is all very interesting to me. Human Nature. "The rich will give up their wealth willingly..." A fantasy to Uji... That day a couple weeks ago I read Amy P. bashing 'KOOKS"...

That very day spread out on the front page was a story about a LOCAL CHRISTIAN WOMAN, and her husband, who through their very faith and relative wealth, have been supporting families on three continents, for 20 years, reaching out, spending LOTS of money and time to reach across the globe and help part of our HUMAN ALL TOO HUMAN FAMILY...

This exercise, the Rockbridge Forum is profound to me, because I get to engage with those I see as BIGOTS. They see me the same I get that. I have weathered the storms that rise to take me out. Because I think of the message, and because I am a relatively good messenger. The Amy and Fangz Appreciation Poll, The Foe Filter saga, the Stonewlall Survey...

It will not surprise me if one day Stone and AO decide, enough is enough. Let's move this party somewhere else. Crux is a pain in the ass. He is an asshole. AO has tried to PERSONALLY harm me, and endanger my the well being of my family.
I think we all could do better to pursue truth, respect political speech and dialog.

We are all flawed messengers. We all fight what we feel is the good fight. I want folks to dig a little deeper and challenge their knee jerk reactions. I again thank everyone here for posting, and challenging me. I ask you all to play fair. To admit when you are shown to be wrong. If not publicly then privately, and try harder to BE REAL!

I see it when folks make efforts. Fangz recently in tone. AO, by taking a higher ground tack and respecting my humanity. coondog for generally sustaining a positive demeanor. My Little Brother for continuing to think and question. Kevsky for his capable contributions. Sam for saving me from despair. Amy P. for being brave and being HERSELF.

Let's dig deep. Times are rare. Life is short. Have a good day. Many of the most tolerant people and generous people I know are Christians, be they rich or poor. We are the most philanthropic people on the planet. I have seen too much and traveled enough to know the truth of us. America is a glass is half full place. Wealth is a tool. Christianity is not bad.

crux

Auntie Nudge? I know you always liked my stream of consciousness posts. I have faith in you too Dear.
Neck? :naughty: Maybe one day you too will give me hope... Miracles happen the bumper sticker says!

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2014 Jun 04 22:21

Crux

It all matters

Postby Crux » 2014 Jun 05 07:09

Useful idiot
In political jargon, useful idiot is a term for people perceived as propagandists for a cause whose goals they are not fully aware of, and who are used cynically by the leaders of the cause.

Little Brother. Some of this is just too important. The Bill of Rights, the notion that you are born with inalienable individual natural rights. It MATTERS.
When your means lampoon towards the ends of degrading this notion, whether you know it or not, you become the useful idiot. I do realize that I have to check myself as well in my advocacy, and that others might view me the useful idiot. This is the path we tread. Have a great day.

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2017 Jul 30 09:07

political_args_on_facebook.jpg
political_args_on_facebook.jpg (38.06 KiB) Viewed 2002 times