Our Library - Or is it?

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Glendale
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Our Library - Or is it?

Postby Glendale » 2011 Aug 24 08:52

It's a funny thing about the Foundation. Bobowski's cheerleader calls it "independent" when it goes along with his wishes. But when the President of the Foundation was a man who, after conducting independent research and interviewing employees, realized that Bobowski was simply the wrong man for the job, Bobowski and the Chairman of the library board threatened to dissolve the Foundation – said their compliant board had the authority to do so – and grab the money.
I suppose in the bizzarro world of Bookfan, the families of those who donated and willed their hard earned money to the library and Foundation have no business questioning the use of those funds.

As for Crux: BOO!!! There's a liberal in the woodpile.

Crux
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

OK OKOK NOW...let's focus and run this to ground.

Postby Crux » 2011 Aug 24 09:23

I don't have a dog in this fight really. I use the library just fine no real complaints other than printing something there is now more difficult than it used to be, save paper, trees, money whatever. I mean, books on tape no problem...

NOW. Glendale has told a story and proposed the narrative etc. LET"S FOCUS and will the good people shed some light if need be. TRUE, there are axes to grind and the long knives sharpened against opposition, BUT WHAT about THIS CHARGE:

I am curious about what the liberal in the woodpile means too.

YET!, I do like bookfan's narrative about mean ole' grumpy white liberals gals and their sassy male cohorts, stirring up vendetta against a library without real cause, in ugly fashion.

Recently Michele, Ann, the Wilkeson guy and more raised issues in their brief presence that:

"Cast a dim light on what DOES seem to be quite dim."

says crux in the woodpile

PS :love10: Why does Glendale sound so completely UNHINGED, and CRAZED. :geek:
___________________________________________________________________________________________
crux is currently taking his FIRST in a series of online coursework in group facilitation and therapy, with an emphasis on non-violent conflict resolution. he remains steadfast in this life efforts to make this a betterer world through his deeds and service to family, neighborhood, and community. recent efforts include helping a neighbor in his village who seems to have been personally harmed, by tragedy at the local Public Library.
crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

Phd

Postby Phd » 2011 Sep 08 17:07

I hear the library board is gearing up for a retreat this weekend to discuss the Ivy Group's findings for the strategic plan. A couple of tidbits that are going around are that: 1. the phone survey doesn't seem to be representative of the county/city population as over 50% of the respondents were college graduates. Hummmmmm. And 2. there doesn't seem to be much mention of the 'expert focus on technology' which was exactly why the boss said they needed the Ivy Group in the first place.

I am still baffled as to why the board doesn't seem to think there is a conflict of interest with the Ivy Group and the director. Remember, Nancy Davis, a partner of the Ivy Group, was one of the director's references when he applied for this job.

The retreat is public so feel free to attend.

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2011 Sep 09 13:26

Where and when?

Phd

Postby Phd » 2011 Sep 09 13:43

The meeting begins at 10:00, Saturday, Sept. 10, at Kendal, in Anderson Hall. It is supposed to go until 4:00.

chicken leg

Postby chicken leg » 2011 Sep 19 20:30

Well, some things just never change. The library board had their retreat, and guess what - it's la la land time again. Apparently there was little (and that was soundly ignored) mention of the not-so-random sample survey done by the Ivy Group with which the board had to work.

For example, over 50% of the sample surveyed were college graduates while county-wide it's 11%. This clearly shows that the survey was heavily weighted towards the college degreed demographic and makes Ivy's assertion that "randomly selected telephone numbers" made up the pool highly suspect. About the only thing that can be certain from the published results is that the survey was in no way statistically random.

And here's something else that seems statistically non-random:

RRL location used most frequently by library user respondents. Respondent base = 105.

Lexington 79% or 83 people
Bath 2% or 2 people
B.V. 10% or 11 people
Goshen 2% or 2 people
Glasgow 8% or 8 people

Having read the entire report, I've just gotta say that this is the most boiler plate and generic "report" I've seen in my many years. Almost all the questions were similar to asking someone if they believed that we could all use a bit more money. For instance, "89% of all respondents totally of strongly agree that the RRL can contribute to higher levels of educational achievement;" Well, duh. Books, reading, know more = higher levels of educational achievement. Someone needed to pay $22K for that kind of hog wash? Go read the report if you can find it. It's out there in many places though I'd bet you won't get it from the board's "executive committee."

In fact, the most interesting thing in the entire report and the only place where there were reported actual substantive suggestions regarding what the library should do to make itself a better place (and remember, this effort was to gather direction in planning the libraries' future) was a page of quite negative comments about the director and what should be done about the astoundingly bad publicity RRLIB has enjoyed since his arrival.

No one at the board "retreat" at Kendal seemed to care or mention that there was an entire page of negative statements about the library director. There was some mention in the report about the negative publicity the library had been getting. The way it was written intimated that the negative press had nothing to do with the library or the director; that it was just a mystery and they needed to do something about it - sometime - maybe!

Here are a few examples of what respondents answered in the open ended question about the negative publicity.

"Change the leadership - the director of the library system here is incompetent…"

"Under the previous leadership there was never any controversy or problem in the system but under the current leadership there seems to be constant controversy and bad press for the libraries"

"I've heard some bad things about the library that should be looked into and improved - I've heard that the person running the library is not doing his/her job."

"Please hire a new director."

But never mind all that. The director "came up" with a strategic plan! A plan with almost identical goals of previous plans and almost every other libraries' plans. All of which he or most any employee of the library could have come up with for nothing.

The Ivy Group was a waste of money as everyone knew it would be. Ivy's worth was that of most consultants, i.e., deniability and passing the buck. Great for Bobowski - a crummy deal for the citizens. There is absolutely no expert technological focus in the report the board had to work with. And yet I hear that the director is feeling very smug and probably richer too.

In short if the survey sample wasn't random, for whatever reason, the results are not valid. Random or not, the survey showed a lot of support and love for the library, which is no surprise. It did not however show any love or support of the director. I have often thought - many times and in many ways - that the library could run very well without a director because the staff is just so good. Think about it. Save $80K a year in functionless salary, save the lawyer's fees, loose the horrendous publicity, loose the paranoid and cowed staff and return to the good old days when the library dispensed books, help and friendship. What a concept.

Juggler

The Final Solution?

Postby Juggler » 2011 Sep 25 10:51

had totally escaped me.

Maybe this forum'll get really bland, really fast?

Crux

The Juggler is a danger to himself.

Postby Crux » 2011 Sep 25 15:46

It is official. You are a what... The word escapes me. Your point is escaping me. :dontknow:
crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

Phd

Postby Phd » 2011 Sep 29 20:31

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2011 Oct 01 20:23

Glendale

Postby Glendale » 2011 Oct 04 18:35

I'm so glad to see the forum getting filled with real news from one of the papers.
We need more soothing and comforting words. I'd post some myself, but am lacking the skills.
So, if you'd be so kind, please post the Weekender's lovely piece about the the library’s efforts to get the "community" ...meaning the mayor’s and library chair’s friends … to read a book that has nothing to do with this area … eat gumbo "made with love" and listen to opponents, but not proponents, of the death penalty. It’s so nice to see the tax supported library adopting an agenda.

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2011 Oct 05 13:47

Phd

Postby Phd » 2011 Oct 05 17:17

Phd

Postby Phd » 2011 Oct 16 16:37

Glendale

Postby Glendale » 2011 Oct 17 09:10

I doubt the board would cut the director's salary if Bath pulls out. I doubt the board would cut his salary if Buena Vista and Rockbridge come to their senses, realize that they too are subsidizing the Lexington library, and pulled out.
The damage the director has already done has been rewarded handsomely. Wrecking the library with a thousand small cuts and blaming each one of those little stabs on the board and the press seems to be working quite well for Bluto. By the time he's finished, there will be a nice little romper room and virus and spyware riddled cyber cafe for his friends in downtown Lexington.
Obviously, the director's supporters would rather see the whole system come falling down than to cotton a peep of criticism of their wonderkind director.
Buena Vista and Rockbridge would be better served forming their own system with Bath and leaving Lexington to its own devices. That will leave Lexington with a library where director, the chair, the mayor, and their friends will all be happy hosting events for each other, and the other localities with fine little libraries to serve the entire community.

chicken leg

Postby chicken leg » 2011 Oct 17 11:00

Nice comment Glendale. I believe you've actually hit the nail on the head here and I'd guess Bobowski would love this. No pesky actual work to do. He wouldn't have to drive somewhere to terrorize staff. He's got the IT director's paid helper right there to show him (and her) how to turn on his computer and, when he has a typo laden powerpoint to show someone, the helper can actually attach it to a (working) computer and get an image onto the wall. Tea and cookies just a short walk from the mayor's office. I'd vote for Lexington going it alone - why doesn't Bobowski just sell the other libraries to that outfit he likes so much which privatizes libraries and be done with it? After all, Lexington has two college libraries which have real books and functioning computers the rest of us could use while brain child, Bobowski and the mayor could happily preside over what they now have - paranoid staff, fewer and fewer actual books, nitwit management (that would be the director and the IT department) and a dwindling cadre of actual workers.

Well said Glendale.

Phd

Postby Phd » 2011 Oct 20 09:00

The library board meeting was yesterday and I understand that everything was worked out with the Bath County Library. They don't want to leave the system. Their hours will not be cut and although I don't know the details, there was some negotiation on Bath's funding.

So, good for them for standing up to the director who wanted them out and who wanted their hours cut if they stayed.

chicken leg

Postby chicken leg » 2011 Nov 27 10:25

Least you think everything is just hunky-dory at the library because no one has posted on the forum lately, let me tell you, the director is still ineptly directing and sleazing by while hiding behind a few skirts.

Most recently another board member quit in disgust. How many is that now since the current director took control, 5? 6? In this particular case, the straw that broke the camel's back has a labyrinthine scenario that is typical of the director's duplicity.

Here is a briefly bulleted list of the chain of event:

*The board has NEVER had to work on the strategic plan except at regular meetings when Linda wanted to run things by them and get feedback and suggestions.

*Alan convinced the board it was their job to do the survey and the work, when it wasn't - it is in HIS job description, or it was - that's why they hired the Ivy Group - so the board would not have to work on the plan.

*The Ivy group's work was of course worthless as we all knew it would be and didn't even provide a final report. A cynical reading of this sad scenario would suggest the director just simply gave 25K to the person (Nancy Davis, Ivy Group) who was one of two viable references on his resume when he applied to this job.

*The final report is being worked on by a number of subcommittees of the board members and staff. Not many are happy having to do this.

*One board member was supposed to work on a subcommittee which started its work when prior commitments, medical problems and holidays came upon him so he said he would have to miss the Nov. meetings.

*The chair of the board writes him a rather nasty letter saying that others will have to work doubly hard now that he won't be attending a few meetings.

*He has been insulted time and again because he dares to question her and the director, and with this 'straw', quits.

This is just terrible!! And yet, no one gets it.

Wonder who the supervisors will appoint to take his place. A former employee? A current supervisor or a soon to be former supervisor? Whomever it is, he/she must be prepared to work with a bully who hides behind his few supporters. Good luck.
:beatdead:

Glendale

Postby Glendale » 2011 Dec 07 18:45

I just finished reading a loony set of emails from assorted library board members in the paper.
Apparently one of them had the nerve to wonder what they were paying the director, and he didn't want them to know for fear his $66,500 salary would appear on the internet. (Hell, I could ruin the library as well as he can for half that.)
His reaction is understandable. He's just being himself.
But it is clear from the exchange that Lexington's members of the board, who sided with him in his efforts to keep the public from knowing the salary, have no idea what it means to run a public institution. I'm not surprised that they would treat such an institution in the city as a private club. But that they would make it so obvious should be unacceptable. They should do themselves a favor and resign. If they don't, the city council should ask them to.
Clearly, the Bath County reps on the board do understand what it means to run a public institution, which means they're in for a rough time with Buto and his supporters on the board.
As for Rockbridge County's, either their mails were omitted for some reason, or they had enough sense to stay away from a bewildering discussion of what every sixth grade civics student should know: the public has a right to know what it is paying public employees.
I've heard some good things about the latest Rockbridge appointee to the board, and no doubt the Bobowski-Lexington brainwashing machine is going into high gear to prevent him upsetting their little club.

Phd

Postby Phd » 2011 Dec 09 16:29

Glendale, I am sure the director was disappointed that all of the staff's salaries were not published because he told them all that they would be and tried to drum up opposition to having them released. But, as you said, the only one released was the director's. Can't imagine anyone would want to publish everyone's salary even though they could.

On to another topic. The Lexington Library looks like a crime scene. I think, but not sure, all that tape is because of the director's negligence in tending to a crumbling wall. That's not good for business when no one can get to the book drop off box or park nearby. They could at least open the section from Main Street so that folks could get to the drop off box unless of course one isn't allowed to come back out onto Main??? Anyone know the laws on that?

The place is going to ruins in more ways than one.