Our Library - Or is it?

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
The Velvet Mole

Re: Our Library - Or is it?

Postby The Velvet Mole » 2012 Nov 15 12:46

I have read over these two attachments and am still scratching my head. I don’t know what the real deal is. But the letter sent out by Bobowski only served to raise more questions.

1. In what circumstances does any procedure written and filed in the procedure and policy manual get deemed unofficial? It seems only when the boss doesn’t like the procedure. And after debunking this procedure, he turned right around and used it to “prove” his case. WTF?
2. Also the paragraph about consulting the library’s lawyer is totally pusillanimous. The lawyer finds it hard to believe? That’s no legal response. I wonder if the attorney even saw the procedure?
3. From what I can see no one waited ten years to bring this up. It was brought up by an employee who recently left.

I understand that at least one employee asked to see her time sheets for the period in question and was not given the courtesy of a response.

Once again I see a situation poorly handled and serves only to further tarnish the library’s reputation.

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2012 Dec 30 22:48

Friends of the Library invite you to an evening with Jessie Knadler on Tuesday, January 8 at 7 pm at the Rockbridge Regional Library, 138 S. Main St., Piovano Room. Admission Free; donations benefit the library.

She'll describe her hilarious roller-coaster ride from Manhattan "round the clock hipster" to a Green Acres wife and mother in rural Virginia. What happens when a thirty-something New York City women's magazine fashion editor falls in love with a VMI graduate turned Montana bull-riding cowboy and moves to Rockbridge County to raise chickens? She's "rurally screwed."

That's the story of Jessie Knadler, blogger and author of Rurally Screwed: My Life Off the Grid with the Cowboy I Love. Jessie's articles and stories have appeared in publications ranging from the Wall Street Journal to Glamour. She is the coauthor of the preserving cookbook Tart and Sweet. Her blog rurallyscrewed.com has been featured in Newsweek and French Elle and on Jezebel.com. She lives with her husband, her daughter, and a bunch of chickens in Rockbridge County, Virginia.

Crux

GREAT word

Postby Crux » 2012 Dec 31 10:40

pusillanimous

point

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2012 Dec 31 11:26

As is often the case, I see no earthly connection of this posting to anything whatever. Noting his insistence on calling almost everybody by pejorative names, I have an idea.

Let's call him Benjy, after his chapter, rather than Crux. Look it up. Tit for tat?

Crux

I just like obscure words!

Postby Crux » 2012 Dec 31 13:25

Call me benjy, tat, whatever. I meant no offense, I just like little used words is all.

I don't call names much. When folks use really offensive tones and words, I take note. It is insulting, and essentially name calling to insult either by one's response, or by outright name calling. To pretend otherwise is silly Nudge.

Happy New Year

chicken leg

Postby chicken leg » 2013 Feb 01 11:21

Just a brief note. Seems that the man who almost destroyed the library has now put himself in charge of finding his replacement - along with his current primary enabler Mr. Horan. Those two will weed out the undesirables and present the rest of the unhappy board with their picks. Absolutely insane.

I hope someone on the board will finally grow a pair (or the equivalent) and demand input. Fat chance. Some grumbling maybe but ultimately they'll fold as usual.

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2013 Feb 01 11:34

What? Can this be? That would be like putting Goldman-Sachs in charge of the US Treasury ... oh, wait, never mind.

This task ought to be done by a committee composed of one or two Board members, some excellent and independent outsiders, and some experts in library science and library management. The controversial director has no place on such a committee.

Is the Board determined to make the same mistakes all over again?

chicken leg

Postby chicken leg » 2013 Feb 01 12:59

Amy, how could you propose such a sensible solution to finding a replacement for Bobowski? My goodness. I know some chickens and other larger farm animals which would do a better job than Bobowski. There's a donkey in the neighborhood who might actually do a better job than those two and the donkey has, as far as I know, never hired a consultant to do his job. I would have heard if he had.

Trend Setter

Postby Trend Setter » 2013 May 13 13:21

So, all you experts out there, what's the deal on our new library director? What do we know about her, how she was selected, how she's settling in?

Perhaps most important of all, has the Board learned how to function as a genuine Board that knows its responsibilities, attends to them, and assures open communication within the library and with the public?

Wouldn't it be great if past problems are really behind us? There will always be new problems but, please, we've had enough of the old ones.

Phd

Postby Phd » 2013 May 14 09:32

Two things:

1. First of all, I have heard from both staff and patrons alike that there is a great sense of relief at the library now. We will never know how such a controversial and duplicitous man was either hired or allowed to stay. When a former board member from a former directorship of Bobowski's heard the news, this is, in part, the message he sent back.

"Glad to hear that the "nightmare" is finally over! ! I am sorry for the human beings, who were left by the wayside by a terrible being(?), void of talent, feelings, emotions and the capability of running any library, anywhere on our planet! I fervently hope that the healing can be rapid, that he pays, in some way, for his transgressions against good people and that those knowingly supportive of him, feel the same hand of justice!"

2. Kudos to the board for finally doing due diligence beginning with hiring a new director. It appears that they were very conscientious and thorough. I bet there isn't a soul in town who doesn't want the new director to have nothing but success when she begins in June. Also, I believe the board wants there to be open communication among the library community. Isn't that amazing? Kudos again.

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2013 Nov 23 19:49

This topic has bee silent for a long time.

Does that mean that, now, all is well?

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2014 Mar 10 13:51

Is all well? Just curious since reading the following:

Losing Libraries

Just because an obvious killer of libraries has been removed does not mean the risk of losing a library or 3 has been removed as well.

Just sayin'. :coffee:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Mar 10 15:58

I'm a great believer in and defender of the public library. But it has to change with the times, and is doing so around the country.

The old notion of the library as merely a repository of books, or even a repository of information including the new media, is constraining and no longer serves the public adequately. Yes, it must be that, but it must be more in order to maintain its relevancy.

It must also serve as a social and civic hub, with meeting rooms enabling people to gather for special topic presentations, clubs, civic organizations, and special interest items that spring up in any community. It must be welcoming to those who would dally and browse, with pleasant seating, coffee-shop amenities, anything that will draw people in and entice them to linger.

It can also be a lending resource for objects with information value: laptop computers, iPads & other tablets, iPods for podcasts, etc. I've even seen libraries lend this kind of electric meter, so patrons can take one home and learn first-hand in educational family experiments on energy usage and efficiency.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."