Miscellaneous or This and That

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
User avatar
Crux
Posts: 3206
Joined: 2010 Dec 16 19:44

Thanks

Postby Crux » 2013 Feb 20 10:47

Jug, that has given me a good laugh for days...

User avatar
Juggler
Posts: 710
Joined: 2007 Jun 11 03:51

Re: Miscellaneous or This and That

Postby Juggler » 2013 Apr 26 14:04

Most people do not know this simple trick.

User avatar
nudgewink
Posts: 163
Joined: 2008 Mar 19 13:07

Re: Miscellaneous or This and That

Postby nudgewink » 2013 Oct 05 09:28

Queen Elizabeth II wrote:To the citizens of the United States of America from Her Sovereign Majesty

In light of your failure to financially manage yourselves and inability to effectively govern yourselves responsibly, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately. (You should look up ‘revocation’ in the Oxford English Dictionary.)

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except Kansas, which she does not fancy).

Your new Prime Minister, David William Donald Cameron, will appoint a Governor for the former United States of America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated sometime next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

  1. You will learn that the suffix ˜burgh” is pronounced “burra”; you may elect to spell Pittsburgh as ˜Pittsberg” if you find you simply can’t cope with correct pronunciation. Then look up “aluminum” and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.
  2. The letter “U” will be reinstated in words such as ˜colour”, “favour” and “neighbour”. Likewise, you will learn to spell “doughnut” without skipping half the letters.
  3. Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels (look up “vocabulary”). Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as “like” and “you know” is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication.
  4. There is no such thing as “US English”. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter “u”.
  5. You will relearn your original national anthem, “God Save The Queen”, but only after fully carrying out Task #1 (see above).
  6. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.
  7. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you’re not quite ready to be independent. Guns should only be handled by adults and then used solely for shooting grouse. If you’re not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, then you’re not ready to handle a gun, let alone shoot grouse.
  8. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.
  9. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and this is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.
  10. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left side with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.
  11. The former United States of America will adopt the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland prices on petrol (which you have been calling “gasoline”) of roughly $10/US gallon. Get used to it.
  12. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French Fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with malt vinegar.
  13. Waiters and waitresses will be trained to be more aggressive with customers.
  14. The cold, tasteless stuff you insist on calling “beer” is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. New Zealand beer is also acceptable, as New Zealand is pound for pound the greatest sporting nation on earth and it can only be due to the beer. They are also part of the British Commonwealth – see what it did for them. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat’s Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.
  15. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie Macdowell attempt English dialogue in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one’s ears removed with a cheese grater.
  16. You will cease playing “American” Football. There are only two kinds of proper football; one you call soccer, and rugby. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American Football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies or Jessies – English slangs for effeminate males and blouses for big girls respectively).
  17. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the “World Series” for a game which is not played outside of the United States of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You will learn cricket.
  18. You must tell us who killed JFK. It’s been driving us mad.
  19. An inland revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty’s Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).
  20. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 p.m. with proper cups, with saucers, and never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; plus strawberries (with cream) when in season.

User avatar
Kevsky
Posts: 131
Joined: 2013 Sep 24 07:32

Re: Miscellaneous or This and That

Postby Kevsky » 2013 Oct 07 08:30

Re: Miscellaneous or This and That

Postby Wise One » 2011 Aug 31 21:59
When I saw that you were fuming over something you "heard on TV" I knew it had to be Fox-News, and sure enough there it was. I wanted to check more reliable sources to verify that it is true, since so much that appears on Fox is bold lie, but have not found it yet so don't even know if the story is bogus or legitimate.

I'm puzzled over your fury so please explain why you feel that immigrant laborers should not have the same workplace protections that other workers have? For example, which of the following abuses government now protects workers against, do you feel should be visited on persons living and working in the US because they lack full legal immigration status?

Employers forcing the minor children of employees to work without pay?
Employers paying way below minimum wage and threatening to turn in anybody who complains?
Requiring employees to work without observing health and safety regulations?
In hazardous work, failing to provide legally required safety equipment such as protective eye-wear, helmets, gloves, face masks, etc.
Employers "docking" their employees for costs of items required by their work such as work gloves and protective breathing apparatus?
Deducting social security from employee wages and then pocketing the money rather than remitting to the government?
Forcing workers to work 72 hour weeks without paying overtime required by law?
Holding workers locked up as prisoners without pay so that they become slave laborers?
Sexually harrassing or raping an employee?
Beating and torturing employees?

You perceive our immigration system to be bad. Is the remedy allowing unscrupulous employers to subject immigrants to abuses that we would not tolerate for anybody else? Or would the better remedy be to improve immigration law and its enforcement?

My view is clear. We cannot confuse immigration policy with workplace policy. Humane worker protections are available to all workers under the law. Immigration law must be separately enforced and there is never an excuse for employers to steal from, exploit, harm, assault, degrade, imprison, or torture their employees – for any reason.

Wise One, I would like to answer these question. First, let's analyze the questions. You state,

I'm puzzled over your fury so please explain why you feel that immigrant laborers should not have the same workplace protections that other workers have?


Than you follow your next sentence with
For example, which of the following abuses government now protects workers against, do you feel should be visited on persons living and working in the US because they lack full legal immigration status?


I would view this as an attempt to obfuscate the question. Let's clear things up. Legal immigrants do have the same workplace protections that all workers in the U.S. have. Illegal immigrants do not have these protections. Why? They are not supposed to be here. To grant them full rights to U.S. workplace laws is to in fact grant them legitimacy. Something I do not believe we should do. Your question than narrowly limits the reader to two choices. First, he can choose to state that the illegal immigrant should be subject to the abuses you have listed and therefore be selfish, uncaring, hateful, unsympathetic, etc. or two, that he can confess his altruism and consent to your opinion that illegal workers should have full workplace rights. I propose a third choice, a choice you do not offer (I wonder why). That our Government enforce the immigration laws and not allow the illegal workers to be here. If they are not here than they cannot be abused by unscrupulous U.S. employers.

You state,
You perceive our immigration system to be bad. Is the remedy allowing unscrupulous employers to subject immigrants to abuses that we would not tolerate for anybody else? Or would the better remedy be to improve immigration law and its enforcement?

How would you propose to improve immigration law and its enforcement? If by improving immigration law and its enforcement you propose the choice of our Current Administrations policy of applying U.S. workplace laws to illegals than again I state the third choice. If there are no illegals in the U.S. than there is no possibility for them to be abused.

You state,
My view is clear. We cannot confuse immigration policy with workplace policy. Humane worker protections are available to all workers under the law. Immigration law must be separately enforced and there is never an excuse for employers to steal from, exploit, harm, assault, degrade, imprison, or torture their employees – for any reason.

If immigration law was enforced than there would be no confusion with workplace policy. It really is that simple. I agree with you with regards that there is never an excuse for employers to steal from, exploit, harm, assault, degrade, imprison, or torture their employees – for any reason. However, your answer to prevent this exploitation is incorrect.

Let me give you an actual example. I once worked for an employer, in Rockbridge county, who employed foreign seasonal workers. Even though he could hire U.S. citizens and the market was favorable for employers in the Rockbridge area, he made a conscientious decision to hire as many foreign seasonal workers versus U.S. citizens as he could. His workforce was probably around 50 - 75 % foreign seasonal workers. He loved the situation for the following reasons,

1. The foreign seasonal workers had to pay their way from their country to Rockbridge county. Their visa allowed them to work here for a period of 10 months and they could only work for the employer recorded on their visa. This was great for the employer. He, in fact, had a captive, indentured work force. Unlike U.S. employees, the foreign seasonal workers had to make a significant investment to come here. Unlike U.S. employees, the foreign workers did not have the ability to seek competitive offers of employment and therefore this employer could abuse them and know they had no alternative. Now mind you, these were not illegal workers. This system of exploitation was sanctioned and administered by the U.S. Government.

2. The foreign seasonal workers were much more conducive than U.S. workers for the employer to push them to ignore safety rules, payroll rules, overtime.

3. The employer was able to make more money off the foreign seasonal workers by providing them dilapidated housing (trailers and RV's) with which he charged them exorbitant rent and stacked them 4-5 to a room.

I do not understand the mindset of liberals who espouse unrestrained immigration into our country and do not believe this unrestrained flood of immigrants has a disastrous effect about our working middle class. Wise One, this is why the person you questioned has the fury you question. The American working class is not dumb. They see who benefits from their demise. They see how our politicians get political contributions from employers who are willing to sell out their own citizens. They see how unscrupulous employers prefer the more pliable and more easily manipulated foreign workers than themselves. And they also see the inconsistent mindset of the liberal who could give a damn about their plight but is so concerned about the plight of the poor, foreign worker and than has the gaul to attempt to shame the U.S. worker for realizing and wanting to prevent the circumstances that are making him into a third world worker.

User avatar
Coondog
Posts: 1565
Joined: 2008 Jul 08 15:14

Re: Miscellaneous or This and That

Postby Coondog » 2013 Oct 07 10:06

I do not understand the mindset of liberals who espouse unrestrained immigration into our country and do not believe this unrestrained flood of immigrants has a disastrous effect about our working middle class.

The reason you do not understand is because it IS NOT the mindset of liberals to espouse unrestrained immigration.

Coondog defies Kevsky to cite one. Even one? Got a name?

Didn't think so!

Coondog :dontknow:

User avatar
Wise One
Posts: 1957
Joined: 2007 Nov 02 09:33

Re: Miscellaneous or This and That

Postby Wise One » 2013 Oct 07 11:23

Kevsky wrote:Legal immigrants do have the same workplace protections that all workers in the U.S. have. Illegal immigrants do not have these protections.
You are wrong. Regardless of what your personal preference might be (do you really believe it is good public policy to allow employers to abuse, degrade, torture ANY employee?) the law is clear. Employee protections under the law apply to ALL employees.
The law does not make exceptions of this kind. For example, you will be charged as a criminal if you kill, steal from, torture, or kidnap a person ... regardless of his immigration status. The same applies in employment law.

Kevsky wrote:They are not supposed to be here. To grant them full rights to U.S. workplace laws is to in fact grant them legitimacy.
There are two independent bodies of law, applying respectively to employee protection and immigration. They must both be enforced. Period.

Kevsky wrote: I propose a third choice ...That our Government enforce the immigration laws.
That's not a "third choice." It's exactly what I already said.

Kevsky wrote:How would you propose to improve immigration law and its enforcement?
I'm inexpert in this arena and have no concrete proposals. My stance is simple: do not conflate immigration policy with employment policy. However the law embodies those policies, in both arenas, it should be conscientiously enforced.

Kevsky wrote:I once worked for an employer, in Rockbridge county, who employed foreign seasonal workers ...He loved the situation for the following reasons ...
Yes, I agree there is an element of explitation in this employer's decision. The solution is to make clear and practical law, with effective enforcement. It is not to wink and turn the other way as employers visit even more abuse on their employees.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

User avatar
Crux
Posts: 3206
Joined: 2010 Dec 16 19:44

Put this in your Treyvon Martin Pipe...

Postby Crux » 2013 Oct 08 22:33

...and SMOKE IT!

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Join ... =video&c=y

Here. An actual "hate crime". RACIALLY motivated MURDER. Maybe...
We will have to wait for the trial. WAIT. Trial? A fair TRIAL?

Zimmerman got that fair trial and was ROASTED before, during and after... No wonder why so many commentators are saying "more of Obama's sons at it again..." in the THUGOCRACY we live in.

Way to go...

Again. I would HOPE a fair minded person would observe that Obama ACTUALLY had more in common with George Zimmerman than Treyvon Martin. I mean RIGHT DOWN to the domineering wife!!

(that's a joke AO...)

crux

By the way, I have blown away my opposition on the whole SHUTDOWN LUNACY.
Maybe you like the BIG SHOW OF SHUTDOWN FORCE? Pathetic. The arrest threats on 90 year old WWII Vets, putting up cones on a scenic overlook of Mount Rushmore so folks can't even pull off to take a picture, the closing of Parks whose fees would MORE than sustain the park services. Heck. I would ask you to call either of your Senators to give them some constituent input and note: They are not taking any calls. Listen to the pathetic messages. Obama admitted today in a presser that his tactic is shutdown the government to pressure Republicans.

This circus (democrat) is really something to witness. :clap:

User avatar
fangz1956
Posts: 1124
Joined: 2007 Jul 07 10:16

Re: Miscellaneous or This and That

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Oct 09 06:48

Crux.....

I can appreciate everyone's right to free speech. However, it gets really stale coming here day after day and seeing your name as the last commenter on the top 13 topics of discussion. That in and of itself would not be so bad........but your comments are repetitive in every, single thread. They are all Obama bashing in some fashion or you are calling everyone here some name that you obviously find funny. Personally, your name-calling shows a complete lack of respect for the other members of this forum. Get a grip........your teabag is slipping.

:tongue3:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

User avatar
Crux
Posts: 3206
Joined: 2010 Dec 16 19:44

The tired olde doubel standerd...

Postby Crux » 2013 Oct 09 07:58

Oh please. You like coming to a progressive socialist love fest?
That is what the Forum should be.
I get it.
fangz1956 wrote:Crux.....

I can appreciate everyone's right to free speech. However, it gets really stale coming here day after day and seeing your name as the last commenter on the top 13 topics of discussion. That in and of itself would not be so bad........but your comments are repetitive in every, single thread. They are all Obama bashing in some fashion or you are calling everyone here some name that you obviously find funny. Personally, your name-calling shows a complete lack of respect for the other members of this forum. Get a grip........your teabag is slipping.

:tongue3:


What is stale is ignorance of facts.

What is rotten is the belief that somehow America will do fascism better than anyone in all of human history. Look Fangz. Take that statement right there. Your side peddles the false narrative that there is some sort of LACK of regulation in any given sector of the economy!!

Ugliness abounds my Dear...

You know healthcare. The ACA is a TERRIBLE piece of legislation pushed by one party upon the folks. It will not perform as promised. It will not reduce costs in premiums. You will not necessarily be allowed to keep your current plan if you like it. It will not be "revenue neutral".

I have a close relative who is in IT, medical billing. She is no conservative. She sees the nightmare that is the ACA. Take electronic medical records. This is a huge expense and unnecessary regulation. It is a dangerous thing to centralize everyone's medical records accessed by the Federal Government.

Do you know Doctors who will talk candidly with you about the ACA? Even the lefties I know admit what is readily before us. This STAB at a solution is poison. It was a GREAT political move towards the single payer Utopia I will admit that. I hope you like it when it gets here.

I get tired of know littles who trumpet the great welfare states of Europe and know NOTHING whether first or second hand. The cliche's abound though. The failure to discern is always with us.

Just take note, there will never be enough taxes and spending and the Left will institute a system and never take responsibility for it. I am not talking about LIBERALS either because there are prescious few of them any more. Left as in progressives, fascists and outright socialists.

My God Fangz. I debate fair. I do not call names in any mean spirited way. Look at the double standard you are setting up. Take Neck. "A$$wipes" "Effing Jackasses"? Even you have gotten really MEAN on this Forum. Heck you chastise and use the word "teabag". Nice...

Repetitive? Coondog defends a militarization of the Police and the buildup of the Police State under a DEMOCRAT President, with the same old "Tea Party Fear Mongering". Look at the BANG! thread. Now THAT is repetitive. SURE I repeat myself. SO DO YOU. Look at your Sister Soulja Amy P. She repeatedly bashed Christians as "creationist idiots" etc etc etc.

Juggler's whole shtick is REPETITIVE BUMPER STICKER LOGIC. No real analysis.

My presence here on the Forum is a GIFT. I make factual observations. Reasonable interpretations. It you are down with say Terry McK, say, I can't help you. Do you have a yard sign? Then in my book you are lost. Terry McK is as truly smarmy a political operator as you can find on the Dem side, but guess what? He is a REFLECTION of the current state of what is radically wrong on that side!

He is a great reflection of Obama actually.

Thousands of ideologues will vote for him. He might even be Governor. Too many will grant him stewardship over single scare issues and unreasoned illogical stances on issues. PICK ONE.

I think if you would be fair, and open your mind, you might like me... Have a good day.

crux

User avatar
Kevsky
Posts: 131
Joined: 2013 Sep 24 07:32

Re: Miscellaneous or This and That

Postby Kevsky » 2013 Oct 09 08:37

Allow me to interpret the above post:

I can appreciate everyone's right to free speech.
I like to say I appreciate everyone's right to free speech to appear open-minded and fair to my left-leaning friends.

However, it gets really stale coming here day after day and seeing your name as the last commenter on the top 13 topics of discussion.
However, I really do not like to have any opinion opined other than the left-of center party line that constitutes the majority of posts on this site.

That in and of itself would not be so bad........but your comments are repetitive in every, single thread.
Your comments are hard to argue against and tend to be true every damn time.

They are all Obama bashing in some fashion or you are calling everyone here some name that you obviously find funny.
How dare you insult Obama, our Holy Redeemer, Doer of Good, Messiah, Great Defender of Justice, Master of the Economy, Defender Of The Weak, .............(descent into an unintelligible babble of religious references).

Personally, your name-calling shows a complete lack of respect for the other members of this forum. Get a grip........your teabag is slipping.
It is acceptable for us to show you disrespect and to call you names. However, being as you are not of the same mindset as us, you do not have that right.

User avatar
Crux
Posts: 3206
Joined: 2010 Dec 16 19:44

Goal of the Year? (hockey)

Postby Crux » 2013 Oct 10 21:24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-a-XPZqYIw

19 years old in the NHL...what a goal!

User avatar
Wise One
Posts: 1957
Joined: 2007 Nov 02 09:33

Re: Miscellaneous or This and That

Postby Wise One » 2013 Oct 13 10:09

What an amazing collection of extraordinary people, all in one place at one time.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

User avatar
Crux
Posts: 3206
Joined: 2010 Dec 16 19:44

You know it is a bad day...

Postby Crux » 2013 Oct 15 17:46

...when you run from the cops and get hit by a train, TWICE. Unbelievable...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djwo5k6C9C0#t=66

User avatar
Juggler
Posts: 710
Joined: 2007 Jun 11 03:51

Re: Miscellaneous or This and That

Postby Juggler » 2013 Oct 29 10:54

deadstupid.png
deadstupid.png (188.52 KiB) Viewed 3165 times

User avatar
Crux
Posts: 3206
Joined: 2010 Dec 16 19:44

Happy Holloween...great costumes!!

Postby Crux » 2013 Oct 30 08:15

Little Brother...you are not stupid. You are trying really really hard... Keep up the good work.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10 ... kid-again/
_______________________________________________________________________________________

crux

User avatar
fangz1956
Posts: 1124
Joined: 2007 Jul 07 10:16

Re: Miscellaneous or This and That

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Nov 03 16:35

Image




:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

User avatar
Crux
Posts: 3206
Joined: 2010 Dec 16 19:44

Probably should put this on the Healthcare thread...

Postby Crux » 2013 Nov 08 18:56

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/11/07/2 ... could.html

...but I am just running the table. We'll see what the truth is over time, 93 Million, 53 million...

SHAME on the well intentioned for the ACA. SHAME on the naked aggression of the progressives.

User avatar
Crux
Posts: 3206
Joined: 2010 Dec 16 19:44

The Muscles from Brussels

Postby Crux » 2013 Nov 15 17:31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FIvfx5J10#t=51

Jean-Claude Van Damme or JCVD for short... EPIC split set to Enya in a Volvo truck commercial.

Dude... :salut:

User avatar
fangz1956
Posts: 1124
Joined: 2007 Jul 07 10:16

Re: Miscellaneous or This and That

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Dec 08 18:44

Image

No presents for this crowd........only switches and lumps of coal!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?